meal plans

dmhgolfer1903

Mouseketeer
Is the meal plan worth the regular price or only when they offer a discount for free in the off season times. We will be going in regular season, what are pros and cons either the counter service or the one counter and one sit-down option one.

thanks

There are many threads on this topic with many people having different opinions

For us we also get the dining plan no matter what time of year we go

For us we do it so it's just one less thing we have to budget for. I like vacations that we pay evything up front so when you get there you can just relax and not have to worry about how much to spend on which days

I like the option to eat what we want and where we want

however we also make sure to take full advantage on the dining plan eating at new places every trip and taking full advantage of the menu. My wife usually sticks to her comfort food while I will try new items all the time

For use we always come out ahead. I also keep track of what we spend and in the end we also eat more then what we spend on the dining plan

We are choosing not to do the dining plan. I did the calculations and the most it will save us is about $100, and that is IF we eat everything on the plan and choose expensive snacks. I prefer the flexibility to eat when and where we please. I've also seen a lot of quick service meals that are big enough to share. For us, I prefer the flexibility.

Obviously, it depends. My friend went to WDW for 5 days in October-herself, her mother, and two kids. They bought the regular dining plan. Ate one TS meal and the rest QS. I asked her what happened. She said they were way too busy to spend that much time eating so they just grabbed things as they went. They cancelled all their ADR's except for CRT.

Is the meal plan worth the regular price or only when they offer a discount for free in the off season times. We will be going in regular season, what are pros and cons either the counter service or the one counter and one sit-down option one.

thanks

This is a LOADED question on the DIS!!
The only way to know is to do your research, and the math for your family. It works for us, but not for everyone. O

Obviously, it depends. My friend went to WDW for 5 days in October-herself, her mother, and two kids. They bought the regular dining plan. Ate one TS meal and the rest QS. I asked her what happened. She said they were way too busy to spend that much time eating so they just grabbed things as they went. They cancelled all their ADR's except for CRT.

OTOH, DH and I spent 10 days in WDW with the meal plan and we had an absolute ball.

I've done:
Paid for Meal Plan-my kids were younger and I actually liked having reservations and a set get out of the crowds time.
Free dining-I enjoyed eating "free" at a bunch of nice restaurants, but it was work to make sure we maximized the plan.
No dining-probably spent more, but enjoyed eating whatever whenever so not tied down to reservations or having to eat an actual mean instead of snacking.....

In general, the Dining Plan is more about pre-payment, UNLESS you have Disney kids (under 10), proportional to the adults in your party, and you do character meals.

There is almost no realistic circumstance under which the Quick Service Dining Plan is "worth it," paid for.

The regular Dining Plan is $64 for an adult and $23 for a child. A few select meals, and you're ahead, due to the inflated pricing charged by Disney for those meals when paid for cash. The H&V Fantasmic package is a perfect example -- dinner for an adult on the package is $58.58, and the child is $36.21. So, for an adult-child combo, you're already "up" $8 on the day before you eat any QS or eat any snacks. While a somewhat extreme example, it's not the only character meal going where paying a day of DDP for the child is cheaper than paying OOP for that character meal, and it's not hard to break even with the party's adults at the same meal. Tusker House breakfast is one of the least expensive character meals; it's $31.95 for an adult, and $19.17 for a child. The kid needs to come up with $4 in value for a QS meal and two snacks in the course of the day; the adult is more likely to break even. But, again, that adult-child combo comes out ahead.

At non-buffet, non-character meals, it really depends on if the Dining Plan meal composition fits how you would eat, and the specific eateries you choose. It's hard to make somewhere like Beaches & Cream "worth" the value of a Table Service credit under DDP.

It is very rare an all-adult party is doing more than pre-paying on the standard DDP. The specific combinations of meals/food required get pretty specific.

thanks

Lots of differing opinions, as you see. Basically, you will spend more on DDP than not, for a many more reasons than simply doing the calculation to compare. Disney does not offer the DDP so they can make less money. Go with your gut, and be happy either way.

Or you might try this: put the cost of the DDP in your pocket, plus tips. Then eat where and when you want, as much a you want, whatever snacks you want. Count the money left over at the end of the vacation, because there will be some.

I like the option to eat what we want and where we want

IMO, that's a reason to NOT get the dining plan.

The dining plan is rigid...it requires you to eat how Disney wants you to eat. Not really hungry enough for a dessert with your table service meal? Tough luck, you get one or lose it. Only hungry enough for an appetizer? Welp, that credit's wasted. Want a specialty drink with your meal instead of the "included" drink? More waste. Just really in the mood for a burger? Nope, gotta get your money's worth out of the plan. Want a salad or appetizer instead of dessert? Nope...not allowed.

It works for some, and doesn't work for others.

thanks for all the comment, I guess I thought the plans were good for just about everywhere in the park and all hotels and disney springs and you can eat whenever you wanted. is there a list of where you can eat?

also is there any type of drink cup you can buy and have it refilled all day every day in the parks and or hotel?

thanks for all the comment, I guess I thought the plans were good for just about everywhere in the park and all hotels and disney springs and you can eat whenever you wanted. is there a list of where you can eat?

also is there any type of drink cup you can buy and have it refilled all day every day in the parks and or hotel?

1. The dining plan is accepted at *nearly* all restaurants, food stands, carts, etc, at Disney World parks, resorts and Disney Springs. Nearly.
2. There is a refillable mug, but it's only good at Disney resorts...not in the parks, not at Disney Springs. The refillable mug is included "free" in all the dining plans, or can be purchased separately for about $17-18, and covers your length of stay up to 14 days.

I guess I thought the plans were good for just about everywhere in the park and all hotels and disney springs and you can eat whenever you wanted.

Like any Disney dining, to actually use the Table Service dining plan, you need Advanced Dining Reservations at any restaurant where you intend to eat. The Dining Plan covers certain items - a non-specialty drink, an entree and a dessert at Table Service using a menu; one buffet or AYCTE at such restaurants. Alcohol, appetizers, specialty drinks are not included.

You need to understand the dining entitlements and plan how they will be used to get full value, and be willing to eat meals designed like a dining credit is designed at TS.

Find the plan you are interested listed to the right on this page.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/planning-guides/in-depth-advice/disney-dining-plan/

So far, I have not booked a dining plan. I actually strongly checked it out for my upcoming trip in January, but it only worked if I ordered the most expensive thing on the menu at all of the places we had planned, including the signatures and QS locations and then it saved less than $20. I really did not want many of those items. Since I also tend to order an alcoholic drink with dinner when on vacation, the included non-alcoholic drink would be a waste. I know many suggest ordering coffee with dessert, but I do not drink coffee and many times I do not want dessert immediately after dinner. Instead, I have chosen to upgrade to an AP due to a second trip later in 2017. Now, I just have to decide if the AP discount will be enough or if I should to TiW again since it includes discounts on alcohol.

thanks

We would never get it for two main reasons.

It is way more food than we usually eat, and it is very time consuming, and we don't like scheduling every meal.

Two, we always eat where/when we want, and everything we want, and still we are 'much' better paying out of pocket.

Some people will pay a lot for convenience sake, but we don't find it hard at all to pay as we go. It's definitely not a moneymaker or even break even maker, unless you have several children, and do lots of character meals. Buying the most expensive items on the menu, getting all those desserts which a lot of people don't/can't eat, makes your bill that much higher, which you then have to 'tip' on.

To each their own though, and it's wildly popular because of said convenience. Can't figure out how it's any more convenient though than just charging it to our room and paying it all at once.

Disney will not offer anything that is not a big money maker for them!

thanks

Do yourself a favor. Buy Disney gift cards for the amount you would spend on meal plans for your group. It will allow you to order whatever you want without the restrictions of the meal plans. At the end of your trip you will still be able to buy merchandise and / or souvenirs with the money left over on the gift cards (you will have a lot left over) or you can just save the gift cards for your next trip. If you get the meal plans, you can't do either of those things. While opinions vary greatly on whether or not meal plans are worth it, virtually everyone will agree that there is an enormous amount of "waste" built into the meal plans. Gift cards offer all of the same advantages as meal plans, but none of the waste or restrictions.

I'm sure there are tons of opinions out there. First and foremost has to be the question of whether or not the plan entitlements fit the way you want to eat. If not, no-brainer, don't do it.

Beyond that, my data-driven take says that basic DDP or QSDP are bad deals for adults, good deals for children. If you have 2 adults in the party, you will lose money with no kids, be about break-even with one kid, and ahead of the game with 2 or more kids. (Note: this assumes you're eating "normally" and neither trying to max out credit value nor being horribly non-optimal.)

Deluxe DDP is a whole other story. If it suits your dining style, you'd have to work hard to break even or worse, and that's for adults only. Kids remain a good deal on DxDP as well.

Sometimes we get it and sometimes we don't. When we do, we go for Deluxe. We never eat three meals a day on the Deluxe plan though. We prefer early lunch then a signature at night. We arrive at rope drop, ride what we want and then it is time for our early lunch when most places are just opening. This suits us because we are usually in an almost empty restaurant. We also don't do quick service. We ADR all meals because we know all the restaurants and we don't want to "settle".

thanks

I'd suggest to look at menus of the places you think you'd go to. Write down what you think you'd order. Compare the out of pocket price to the price you will pay using the dining plan - remember, everyone in your room has to have the same plan, so big eaters / not big eaters, kids - take that into account. Also, are you big on desserts? Take all of that into account. You are paying for those desserts even if you wind up throwing them away if you can't sub them out. The DDP is not a discount on meals unless it's free. The ddp just combines your payment of meals into one big happy lump sum, leaving you with a thing to scan to get your meal instead of money changing hands after you eat. It just means the money has changed hands before your trip.

For us, we'd wind up paying more for the dining plan, and throwing a bunch of the food away. Some of those QS meals are a LOT of food. I'm a pig, my wife is not. My wife and I split several QS meals and had leftovers. (Full disclosure - sometimes we had leftovers because the food was horrible.) We would definitely do the ddp if it was free, and probably when the kids get older enough and eat like adults, but right now, for us, we saved a very good amount of money and unneeded calories by skipping the dining plan. It was a no-brainer for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter