• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MDR for DS but adult dining for us

Lyn-CA

DIS Veteran
We are booking both Remy and Palo dinners on our upcoming 7 night Fantasy cruise in November. We would like to have our 7 year DS eat dinner at our assigned MDR on those nights. Can we accompany him at the MDR and then drop him off at the kid's club before we go to Remy/Palo?

Do you mean, can you sit with him for dinner but not eat while he eats and then take him and drop him off at kids club?

Do you mean, can you sit with him for dinner but not eat while he eats and then take him and drop him off at kids club?

Yes.

I know he can eat at counter service or that they will feed him at the kid's club as alternatives but I would rather not have him eat nuggets, hotdogs and burgers as he prefers fish and veggies.

I would think as long as you are with him, I wouldn't see this being a problem at all...

Anyone else have experience with this?

Of course you can.
They can't force you to eat. Although they might try and encourage you lol.
Just explain you have Palo/Remy.
You can still get drinks or even a little something to eat if you really want.

Sure! Just let your servers know that you won't be dining. You might give them a heads up the evening before.

Alternatively, if you feel okay about it, our daughter ate in the MDR without us, joining our table mates for dinner when we went to Palo on two different cruises. She was 7 the first time and 8 the second time. Our servers took great care of her! :) Both times it was later in the cruise and she had made friends with the other little girls at our table and we spoke with the other families and made sure it was cool with them before we did it. In both cases, they were fine with it. We had also made friends with another family on board that had invited my DD to join them as well on one of the cruises.

There are a lot of options, but in short, it's no problem for you to chill in the MDR without eating.

I have read about many families doing what you are planning to do.

I know our kids (my two and my nephew and niece) went to MDR without us once every cruise. It became a tradition, and one of their favorite dinners.

lol - I wouldn't trust my 12 and 14 year old to eat nicely together if left alone! Know your child and whether they can behave. Everyone is different.

Yes, the servers may try and give you guys some apps though because they love to feed people but generally they will perfectly understand if you have Palo. Enjoy!

Yes, this is what we have always done and still do even now that the kids are older. I like knowing they are eating a decent meal and not just eating junk while we are gone lol.

our daughter ate in the MDR without us, joining our table mates for dinner when we went to Palo on two different cruises. She was 7 the first time and 8 the second time.
Had you asked your tablemates if that was OK? I wouldn't like it if parents assumed that I don't mind "babysitting" their child while they dine elsewhere.

Had you asked your tablemates if that was OK? I wouldn't like it if parents assumed that I don't mind "babysitting" their child while they dine elsewhere.

I've seen a couple of different posts where parents say they let their young kids go to the MDR's alone. I feel like they're expecting other cruisers or the CM's to babysit their kids.

Yes, you may have missed that section in my original posting:

Both times it was later in the cruise and she had made friends with the other little girls at our table and we spoke with the other families and made sure it was cool with them before we did it.

I've seen a couple of different posts where parents say they let their young kids go to the MDR's alone. I feel like they're expecting other cruisers or the CM's to babysit their kids.

I definitely didn't presume. I had indicated in my original post that we asked our table mates prior. Actually, in one instance we said we wouldn't be there at dinner because we would be feeding DD prior to going to Palo and she'd be going to the kid's club instead and they offered to have her come join them.

We did this on our cruise in April. We went to the MDR with our daughters, who are both 11, but did not eat anything. It was the second Animator's Palace night and they did not want to miss it. DH and I left before they finished their meal because our Palo reservation was at 7pm. Our girls finished the meal on their own and were perfectly fine.

We eat Palo and Remy during brunch so we can eat dinner in the MDR w/ our child. I wanted to throw that out there in case you haven't considered that option.

Sure! Just let your servers know that you won't be dining. You might give them a heads up the evening before.

Alternatively, if you feel okay about it, our daughter ate in the MDR without us, joining our table mates for dinner when we went to Palo on two different cruises. She was 7 the first time and 8 the second time. Our servers took great care of her! :) Both times it was later in the cruise and she had made friends with the other little girls at our table and we spoke with the other families and made sure it was cool with them before we did it. In both cases, they were fine with it. We had also made friends with another family on board that had invited my DD to join them as well on one of the cruises.

There are a lot of options, but in short, it's no problem for you to chill in the MDR without eating.

lol - I wouldn't trust my 12 and 14 year old to eat nicely together if left alone! Know your child and whether they can behave. Everyone is different.

I have two sons, and for almost any occasion, dinner included, I know I could trust either one of them alone, but together, they are trouble!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter