• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MB+ and the dreaded 'gate'

StormyCA

Chief Troublemaker
By any chance with the advent of MB+ are we now consistently able to open the return traffic gate at FW? We've never had much luck with it with MB or MB2 and I've heard others say the same. I'm hoping MB+ has given it some extra 'oomph'.

I'm assuming the 'open your room door' function doesn't work at Ft W to open the gate, it's still just the swipe your band.

MB+ won't help with the gates in any way. It's mostly improved for in-park experiences where it lights up around statues and during fireworks. It's still basically the same for scanning into parks, LL, your room, and the resort gates. Most of my issues with returning through the gate hasn't been the band - it's been operator error - by ME. I sometimes miss the very obvious spot I'm supposed to scan!!

By any chance with the advent of MB+ are we now consistently able to open the return traffic gate at FW? We've never had much luck with it with MB or MB2 and I've heard others say the same. I'm hoping MB+ has given it some extra 'oomph'.

I'm assuming the 'open your room door' function doesn't work at Ft W to open the gate, it's still just the swipe your band.
Thier was a spot in the ap a few years ago to open the gate, but by the time you loaded the page and found it, it was quicker to wait for them to open it for you.

I don't have a MB+ but I have the most luck opening it with the app on my phone

On MDE? How does that work? (ELI5)

FWIW We're in our trailer, not one of the cabins if it involves having a 'room number'. Although we would have a site number. 🤷🏼‍♀️

We use the same MBs for every trip, we have learned to stop at the Outpost on our first day of each trip and have them reactivated to operate the gate. We have not had any issues opening the gate once they are “reactivated”.

Our last couple of trips we have arrived before getting our site assignment and the CMs have asked us for our MBs in order to activate them.

Our last couple of trips we have arrived before getting our site assignment and the CMs have asked us for our MBs in order to activate them.

This exact thing happened with us too.

I like to walk in the lobby to check in and ask about specific sites and while doing so last trip, the CM re-scanned our old gen 1 MB's and they worked fine.

We use the same MBs for every trip, we have learned to stop at the Outpost on our first day of each trip and have them reactivated to operate the gate. We have not had any issues opening the gate once they are “reactivated”.

This exact thing happened with us too.

I like to walk in the lobby to check in and ask about specific sites and while doing so last trip, the CM re-scanned our old gen 1 MB's and they worked fine.

We've used 'brand new' MBs on our 3 prior trips and have never had luck with the gate. Maybe we just don't know the 'sweet spot'. We never knew if, after frantically waving our MBs at the sensor', we activated it or the guard took pity on us.

We've used 'brand new' MBs on our 3 prior trips and have never had luck with the gate. Maybe we just don't know the 'sweet spot'. We never knew if, after frantically waving our MBs at the sensor', we activated it or the guard took pity on us.

Well, in my experience (again with Gen 1 MB's) nothing works if you 'wave' it at the scanner.

I have to PRESS that bad boy onto the reader and lean into it (from the driver's seat) with all of my 215# to get a successful scan.

Bama Ed

EDIT - DW leaning over shoulder laughed. Okay, maybe 230#? :crazy:

Well, in my experience (again with Gen 1 MB's) nothing works if you 'wave' it at the scanner.

I have to PRESS that bad boy onto the reader and lean into it (from the driver's seat) with all of my 215# to get a successful scan.

Bama Ed

EDIT - DW leaning over shoulder laughed. Okay, maybe 230#? :crazy:

Well, I guess that's what we've been doing wrong all this time!!

I have had the best luck with the app, but that requires me to get out my phone, open the app, find the right page and hit the button. Oh, and I forgot, put on my glasses so I can see the screen.
I have a bunch of MB1 and MB2 bands. I bring most of them. I usually find 1 that seems to work better than others and I throw that in the Jeep. I have tried, waving, tapping, banging, pressing, genuflecting and screaming at the reader. There doesn't seem to be anything that consistently works with a MB.

j

Thanks Boomer!

I was hoping someone had a more recent experience. Mine was 2 years ago when we met you in January. Maybe MouseTech finally figured out how to make an RFID switch work. :D

j

Sounds like the gate to my development. Youall are just doing it wrong. I've found the best way to get our main gate to open is pull past the reader and watch the arm not move. Back up past the reader and pull forward. Rinse and repeat several times until the gate opens when you're backing up and least expect it. Hurry through before it changes it's mind.
Seems to me if you pull up to the reader at the fort, present your MB getting a negative response then back up. Rinse and repeat till it opens. Probably even the same company supplying the hardware and software.
PS: You know how well these devices work since the line of cars stops about 30 yards behind you and waits until everyone gets the chance to do the entry gate Hokey Pokey.

"Entry Gate Hokey Pokey" <Snickers>

"You back away from the gate,
You pull back up to the gate,
You stick your left arm out,
And you shake it all about.

You do The Fort gate hokey pokey,
Then you turn your rig around,
Cuz the Fort gate still doesn't work!!"

PS I know the guards raise the arm, but that didn't work with the lyrics lol

They could do what we do at work. They have updated the system here and it is much better, but it use to be as good as the Fort. Most people knew the gate arms were made out of balsa wood and would snap off in a light wind. After waving, tapping or dancing your badge past the reader several times, you just pulled up and nudged the gate. Made it great for everyone behind you. Since they upgraded the readers, they also put up cameras with license plate readers and that has cut down on the number of broken gates.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter