Maybe moving to Fl, Oviedo thoughts?

Iggipolka

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
We're in the very initial plans of moving out of too expensive California & moving back to my wife's home state of Florida. We're considering Oviedo b/c the school system looks decent & it's close to WDW.
I'm frantically job searching, so that may change our location, but any thoughts on Oviedo or surrounding neighborhoods?
Thanks

No comments about Oveido - we are still finding our way around Winter Garden after moving here 5 months ago, but just some general suggestions.

• Know your price range
  • Know what type of home you want: house/condo? size lot? Existing/new? multi-level? Pool? neighborhood.
  • If you have the time, drive around the area looking over the neighborhoods and what's nearby.
  • Deal with a good realtor that won't rush you but will listen to what you want and give them a prioritized list with your criteria so there is no doubt. (PM me if you'd like to know who we used)
  • Plan on looking at a lot of junk before you find the right house. Keep an open mind.

Oveido is a nice area and is in Seminole county where the schools are usually highly ranked (compared to Orange and Osceola, but its also a smaller district so you don't have as many schools pulling down the average as Orange has some really great schools, but some really poor schools too)...there is a lot to do in the area as far as shopping, eating, etc...you're also fairly close to UCF if your in the southern part of the city

but "close to WDW" is relative as your going to be looking at a 45-60 minute drive depending on where in Oviedo you are and if you're willing to pay the tolls to avoid I4 traffic (trust me, it's almost always better to pay the tolls...if you do move, purchase a SunPass as soon as you get here), so if being close to the parks so you can visit more than once a week, pop in for dinner, etc.. then Oviedo may not be the place for you

(I live in east Orlando about 15 mins south of Oveido)

but "close to WDW" is relative as your going to be looking at a 45-60 minute drive depending on where in Oviedo you are and if you're willing to pay the tolls to avoid I4 traffic (trust me, it's almost always better to pay the tolls...if you do move, purchase a SunPass as soon as you get here), so if being close to the parks so you can visit more than once a week, pop in for dinner, etc.. then Oviedo may not be the place for you

(I live in east Orlando about 15 mins south of Oveido)

This. I live in Downtown Orlando, and its only a 25 minute drive to Epcot (but basically about 40-45 mins counting in parking/tram/bag check etc)... and I don't go nearly as much as I did when I lived out there.

I used to go to random resorts or parks for lunch constantly, but never anymore unless there's a larger purpose. Simply spending the hour and a half isn't worth it.

I grew up in Oviedo, back when it was a tiny little town. It's a great place to live and to raise kids, but still close to shopping and close-ish to downtown via 417. If you are going to live there, strongly consider a neighborhood near 417. It's a toll road, but it's a lifesaver when you need to get around.
I assumed I would always live in the area, but now we live in Avalon Park, which is south (near the power plant). If you have any specific questions about neighborhoods, let me know.

I spent a lot of time in Oviedo when I was attending UCF. It has been said--the schools are generally better than Orange or Osceola county, however it is a bit of a trek to WDW. I'm living one exit away from Disney on 417 right now and it still takes 20-30 minutes driveway to parking lot. If you want to be really close I'd suggest looking in Windermere or Celebration. Windermere has the added benefit of being near the 408, another toll road that will take you downtown with less traffic than I4 (of course, whether or not this matters depends on what kind of work you are looking for). I've lived in Orlando for 18 years so if you have questions about neighborhoods just let me know :thumbsup2

You all are awesome! Thank you so much.
I'm actually ok with being 45 min+ away from WDW as it will help keep the Magic, Magical since we won't be able to pop over there nearly daily. I also want to make sure that our kids get into a good school system as I've heard horror stories about the Florida public schools.

Really appreciate the information and as this move gets closer to reality, I'll follow through with PM's for further recommendations. Thanks again!

We just moved to Oviedo about 2.5 weeks ago from north Georgia. So far, so good. I had two job offers, (one about 15 mins. from Disney) and I took the one in Oviedo because of the school systems (I am also teaching in Oviedo at one of the schools.) I use to have my girls in private school, but, the school system was good enough that I didn't consider private school for them. I love the area so far. It has a small town feel with all the amenities of a larger area (which those that are born and raised in Oviedo are not happy about, but, I love that about it!) I'm with you. We wanted to be close to Disney, but, not too close. We wanted to keep some of the magic alive.

Good luck in the job search, and let me know if I can be of any help.

You all are awesome! Thank you so much.
I'm actually ok with being 45 min+ away from WDW as it will help keep the Magic, Magical since we won't be able to pop over there nearly daily. I also want to make sure that our kids get into a good school system as I've heard horror stories about the Florida public schools.

Really appreciate the information and as this move gets closer to reality, I'll follow through with PM's for further recommendations. Thanks again!

This is a great thread as I have been pestering my husband to possibly make a move to florida one day (we live in PA near Philly now). He said the same thing about the public schools and it's nice to hear from Floridians that there are decent schools in and around the area. I would also be fine with a 45 minute plus drive to get to Disney. Beats the 18 hours it takes to drive there now. :thumbsup2

Good luck in your job/house search and keep us posted on your findings :)

Looking on the map, Oviedo seems to be relatively close to the East Coast. Is it easy access to the beach. Is it in a "flood zone".

TYVM!

This is a great thread as I have been pestering my husband to possibly make a move to florida one day (we live in PA near Philly now). He said the same thing about the public schools and it's nice to hear from Floridians that there are decent schools in and around the area. I would also be fine with a 45 minute plus drive to get to Disney. Beats the 18 hours it takes to drive there now. :thumbsup2 Good luck in your job/house search and keep us posted on your findings :)

My husband is trying to get me to move - we live in central nj. I too, am hesitant because of the schools. But like you, reading this has made me a little more comfortable with the possibility. And my husband has assured me if we get hammered again this winter with snow he will be packing it up and moving south!

Looking on the map, Oviedo seems to be relatively close to the East Coast. Is it easy access to the beach. Is it in a "flood zone".

TYVM!

It's central Florida... You're never more than an hour from the beach. With that said, I wouldn't say Oviedo is "easy" access, you may have to take some backroads and/or go a little out of your way to stay on the highways/toll roads. But pretty sure its only about 45 minutes to New Smyrna and just over an hour to Cocoa.

It's central Florida... You're never more than an hour from the beach. With that said, I wouldn't say Oviedo is "easy" access, you may have to take some backroads and/or go a little out of your way to stay on the highways/toll roads. But pretty sure its only about 45 minutes to New Smyrna and just over an hour to Cocoa.

Andy is correct, the beach is never far away no matter where you are. It's about a 2 hour drive to the west to get to the beaches of the Gulf of Mexico.

Our property insurance choices and rates are in direct relation to how close one lives to the coast. Insurance is not cheap regardless of where in Florida you live.

Thank you- I am thinking of relocating from NY where property/school taxes are high. Property/school taxes are lower in Fl, but there is always homeowner insurance to consider.

When/If we move to Oviedo, I'm pretty sure we're going to be saving money. I just paid half of my older daughter's private school tuition and the second chunk is due in December. Yousa. Just to be able to live in a place where we won't have two children in private school, will be a huge bonus.
We pay earthquake insurance here in California, so I'm already figuring in we're going to continue to pay high homeowners insurance.

I just love the idea that the beach is about an hour away. :)

I have a couple skype job interviews coming up. So hoping that one of them turns out to be a good fit!

I've lived in Oviedo for 19 of the past 20 years. Great place to raise kids...a little expensive though if you're not taking advantage of the great schools here. As others have said...about an hour drive to WDW, but...only a 40 minute drive to a couple parks that, at least lately, are quite a bit better than WDW. :thumbsup2

For the benefit of the OP, I was on a flight to Orlando yesterday and happened to sit next to a guy who lives in Oviedo. He said one of the reasons he picked there was because of the good reputation of their schools.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter