May 18, 2013 Magic EBTA Part Two - From Tejas to España

I like to phrase it as "maximizing our vacation time available"

It drives me nuts if we wander around aimlessly trying to figure out what to do, where to eat, how to get from Point A to Point B.... when I could have had it figured out previously. There's such a limited time when on vacation I try to get everything in as efficiently and affordably as possibly.

So no... you are not over planning ;) You are maximizing and becoming efficient so you can enjoy vacation :thumbsup2

ETA: When you have two little ones with you, it's a definite to have a little over-planning ;)

I agree, with kids in tow, planning is definitely needed more. Don't want a meltdown because someone is too tired or hungry to wait.

MandyGirl said:

It drives me nuts if we wander around aimlessly trying to figure out what to do, where to eat, how to get from Point A to Point B.... when I could have had it figured out previously. There's such a limited time when on vacation I try to get everything in as efficiently and affordably as possibly.

So no... you are not over planning ;) You are maximizing and becoming efficient so you can enjoy vacation :thumbsup2

ETA: When you have two little ones with you, it's a definite to have a little over-planning ;)

That's true especially because me and DB are so indecisive with things like that. We will walk around saying oh shall we eat there, or there? Then we end up at somewhere neither of us wanted to go because we thought the other wanted to go there!! Lol

With kids it is extremely important to be planned. I do quite a bit of planning but I try to go with the flow when my best laid plans run into a snag. I used to stress myself into tears when things didn't go exactly right. I'm much more laid back but I always have a basic game plan. :)

kaseyC said:
With kids it is extremely important to be planned. I do quite a bit of planning but I try to go with the flow when my best laid plans run into a snag. I used to stress myself into tears when things didn't go exactly right. I'm much more laid back but I always have a basic game plan. :)

One ruined wedding turned me into a go with the flow type of person!

Just seen we're onto the new thread - hooray!!

I've noticed I'm the only singleton on the palo brunch I've signed up to, so please can everyone else that day talk to me! Have never done palo before precisely because I'm on my own, so now slightly paranoid!

Today I've started on my fish extender gifts which has really got me excited about the cruise.

Wednesday I am DEFINITELY starting my diet - I need to get pancake day out of the way tomorrow, then thats it! :thumbsup2

So wait does that mean you cancel, then rebook and even with the penalty it's only that much more? I'm not trying to change, we already have 5B. But just trying to understand it all haha.

VGT rates are out

I don't think $1,398 pp for VGT is that great. I would've guessed $998 pp. The difference between the OGT @ ~ $800 pp and the VGT @ ~ $1,400 pp is $600 - or $1,200 more for 2 people. That's a really big price jump from window to verandah.

twopeasonepod said:
So wait does that mean you cancel, then rebook and even with the penalty it's only that much more? I'm not trying to change, we already have 5B. But just trying to understand it all haha.

If it was only DH and I in the room, cancelling our ressie (lose 20% and OBC) and rebooming with *GT rate, it would cost us $14 total for the OGT and we would net $100 for the IGT rate. Since my niece is in our room, it costs more since her rate didn't change. So it would cost my sister 20% more for each kid. We will be sticking to our inside cabin and enjoying the darkness

I've noticed I'm the only singleton on the palo brunch I've signed up to, so please can everyone else that day talk to me! Have never done palo before precisely because I'm on my own, so now slightly paranoid!

Today I've started on my fish extender gifts which has really got me excited about the cruise.

Wednesday I am DEFINITELY starting my diet - I need to get pancake day out of the way tomorrow, then thats it! :thumbsup2

I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine. It was after palo brunch on our last cruise that we met some great friends, such a great atmosphere and everyone was so chatty :)

NancyIL said:
I don't think $1,398 pp for VGT is that great. I would've guessed $998 pp. The difference between the OGT @ ~ $800 pp and the VGT @ ~ $1,400 pp is $600 - or $1,200 more for 2 people. That's a really big price jump from window to verandah.

I agree, we would have never booked the VGT rate, we like to pay as little as possible since we are never in the room but thought $100 more per person wasn't that big of a jump from the IGT. Getting cheap rooms let's me cruise more often!

I didn't even realize that you were the only singleton on the first brunch. I just filled the slots as the PMs came in. I believe Mandy's MIL is in your group as well. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable, I will change places with you or I could also PM Kirbo and see if she and her DH would like to move to the first group and then move you to the second group. Let me know if you want to change, I'm sure we can arrange something. :)

I am LOVING this new thread! Having everything on the first page is fantastic! I especially love those that put the names of everyone that has signed up so I can see whether or not I've already done it. :thumbsup2 Thanks Mandy for getting this new thread started and thank you to all the organizers of all the events for volunteering. You all rock. :cheer2:

On to a different topic....everyone goes on and on about Palo. We are Disney dorks but this will be our first Disney cruise. We are NOT foodies at all so I haven't been convinced that we should do the brunch or dinner. If we were to try it, it would be the brunch. Wait, do you have to dress up for the brunch?? I don't think we are interested in dinner because we are finicky eaters and don't like dressing up. So, sell me on the brunch. Is it really that good? Is there enough for a vegetarian to eat? ***I'm not a vegetarian but I'm incredibly picky about meat, I don't really like it that much, and tend to eat vegetarian meals.

Also, I've emailed my travel agent about the new rates that came out. I'm going to see about cancelling and rebooking. Still waiting to hear back from her about that. If it works out, I may go ahead and splurge on the expensive CD of pictures!! Anyhoo, when do these rates come out on other sailings? And how long do they stay out?

Oh, one more question. Sorry, I've been putting off questions until the new thread opened. Is there a limit on how much alcohol you can bring onboard? I'm guessing no after reading Cayla's post earlier. :lmao: I've read that you can't bring your own drinks out around the ship. At least not ones that are noticeable. So what do you all do? Mix drinks in the room and put them in a travel cup to take out around the ship?

One ruined wedding turned me into a go with the flow type of person!

I hear ya both! I will plan, but when something happens that I can't control then I go with the flow.

I just can not be like some I know on cruises who literally get on the ship not knowing what the ports of call are, and then start thinking about shore excursions once onboard. Then they are the ones complaining they can't get into a certain restaurant because they never made reservations in advance. (Yep, seen it happen). That's the complete opposite though - *not* planning. :confused3

So, sell me on the brunch. Is it really that good? Is there enough for a vegetarian to eat? ***I'm not a vegetarian but I'm incredibly picky about meat, I don't really like it that much, and tend to eat vegetarian meals.

Oh, one more question. Sorry, I've been putting off questions until the new thread opened. Is there a limit on how much alcohol you can bring onboard? I'm guessing no after reading Cayla's post earlier. :lmao: I've read that you can't bring your own drinks out around the ship. At least not ones that are noticeable. So what do you all do? Mix drinks in the room and put them in a travel cup to take out around the ship?

I loved Palo. I don't know how to explain it well. Perhaps a good analogy is that it is like Napa Rose? (Having never dined there, I think NR is probably a lot better overall because it's on land and can have more fresh selections, but Palo is to MDR as NR is to Storytellers?) Someone else will certainly shed better light on it, but I am definitely going to try to book a brunch and dinner!

Ahhh, alcohol. I love that we can bring our own. For this cruise I'm bringing 4 1L bottles of Stoli Vanil, 4 bottles of Captain Morgan's Black (for DH), and we use the fountain to mix with Diet Coke. We use those insulated cups with straws that we bring onboard. I do walk around with them sometimes, but not often. And I also buy drinks at dinner, Diversions, etc. Just like having our own to mix whenever we want. Having seen Cayla's post, I'm guessing the limit is how much you can carry? :thumbsup2

And OMG they changed the "drinking" Smilie to WATER! Hahaha we are SO busted!

I am LOVING this new thread! Having everything on the first page is fantastic! I especially love those that put the names of everyone that has signed up so I can see whether or not I've already done it. :thumbsup2 Thanks Mandy for getting this new thread started and thank you to all the organizers of all the events for volunteering. You all rock. :cheer2:

Thanks! It worked well in the past with each organizer being able to update their own info. You can look at any post on page one to see when the organizer did their last update on that post. I would always put a "reason" in the reason code, such as "updated PJ registrant list" or something.

On to a different topic....everyone goes on and on about Palo. We are Disney dorks but this will be our first Disney cruise. We are NOT foodies at all so I haven't been convinced that we should do the brunch or dinner. If we were to try it, it would be the brunch. Wait, do you have to dress up for the brunch?? I don't think we are interested in dinner because we are finicky eaters and don't like dressing up. So, sell me on the brunch. Is it really that good? Is there enough for a vegetarian to eat? ***I'm not a vegetarian but I'm incredibly picky about meat, I don't really like it that much, and tend to eat vegetarian meals.

We are not foodies either but do think we will try Palo this time. Wait, let me rephrase. I will book Palo this time and let hubby know. :rotfl2: Brunch is *for sure* with the group -- it is fun!!!

Also, I've emailed my travel agent about the new rates that came out. I'm going to see about cancelling and rebooking. Still waiting to hear back from her about that. If it works out, I may go ahead and splurge on the expensive CD of pictures!! Anyhoo, when do these rates come out on other sailings? And how long do they stay out?

Canceling at this point you lose your deposit, but depending on what you are booked at now it may work in your favor to lose deposit and rebook. Also have to take into consideration if you already have OBC or if you booked onboard. Also be sure to check if your TA will also give perks for booking with them.

CD ran us $399 on our WBTA. We had about 415 pictures on it. :thumbsup2

The rates stay out for x amount of cabins. Like with interline and military rates, they may put only 50 cabins into those rate codes for booking, and once gone, that rate code / category is not available at that code any longer. That said... INT and MTO rates keep popping up.... and those were released about two months ago for this sailing. Or it could be yanked at any time. We never know. I have seen KSF disappear literally right after booking a client.

For Disney - whatever fits in your carryon. Just remember no coolers or ice chests. Other cruiselines vary, but here is the DCL website policy

Yes - please keep all bottles in your room. Mix in room for "in-room consumption" . . . :)

Palo - one should not miss it! The brunch is amazing...you will be fine as a single. When I have cruised alone or with people who chose to not go, I enjoyed it solo. That being said - my Nook gets a workout!!! Go, enjoy and chat with everyone - the staff are very social all over the ship.

ok - your questions in order:
Palo - (and ALL the restaurants) offer vegitarian selections at every meal. The brunch is a better deal if you are not sure - since you pick a little of this and a little of that - it is a buffet style. They serve hot entres such as salmon pasta, eggs benedict, and personal pizza (I suggest the grape and gorgonzola....amazing!) The dinner has great choices, but you are limited to the menu (including the veg option of course) the dinner is a classical Italian 6 course meal...be ready to be over fed!

I know nothing about those rates as I am usually booked the first day the cruise opens...good luck with that one.

Alcohol - technically yes, there is a limit - I have no idea what it is. You should NEVER bring the bottles out of your cabin - we don't want to loose this perk. So, I have the steward deliver wine glasses every day (filled to the brim two are a full bottle). We always have a sippy cup of some sort and a small water bottle that we keep filled with our additive for mixed drinks.

I hope that answers the questions - ask away if you have more, always willing to give my two cents!

Cayla

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter