MaxPass for families

oo de lally

Earning My Ears
We are planning our first Disneyland trip in the fall and I was wondering how MaxPass would work for families. Is it $10 for each person in the family? And if so, if just one person bought it could all the photos you took just be put on that one person's account so that you could essentially get photo pass for $10 a day?

So, if one person got it for the photo pass, could they still get paper fast passes so they have the same times as the rest of the family or do you have to book your fast passes on the app if you purchase MaxPass?

So, if one person got it for the photo pass, could they still get paper fast passes so they have the same times as the rest of the family or do you have to book your fast passes on the app if you purchase MaxPass?
I believe someone tested it out last week, that they were able to still get a paper fastpass from the kiosk even after activating MaxPass on their ticket. Would have to search the long MaxPass thread for that.

You can still get a paper pass when you have max pass provided that you do not already have a current fast pass via max pass. But if you part of a family, really everyone needs to have the max pass to take advantage of it getting fast passes. Unless your just getting it for the photo pass but its not worth it for fast passes if only one person has it.

Last edited:
We were in the parks recently and we had two members of our group that had Max Pass and three members that didn't. We were able to pull paper fast passes and book fast passes through Max Pass that overlapped so we could all ride together. We put the photos on their tickets without issue.

I remember reading somewhere, from Disney (maybe blog comments?), that you could not use the paper system if you had MaxPass. But plenty of people have reported they can use paper.

With that in mind, who knows if they will change it in the fall - you should check again shorty before your trip if that detail affects your planning.

I found the source, looks like it wasn't Disney afterall, but GetAwayToday's blog: https://www.getawaytoday.com/blogs/2017-01-11/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-disneyland-m
Will I still be able to get the normal paper Fastpass tickets in the park?

Yes, the physical Fastpass tickets will still be available at the kiosks in the park for all Fastpass enabled attractions for no additional charge. However, if you are using the Disneyland MaxPass, you won't be able to have a traditional Fastpass at the same time.

So who knows how true it is - and maybe by "at the same time" they meant multiple overlapping passes. I'd guess it's more likely to stay how it is now, but I'd still check back before your trip.

I found the source, looks like it wasn't Disney afterall, but GetAwayToday's blog: https://www.getawaytoday.com/blogs/2017-01-11/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-disneyland-m

So who knows how true it is - and maybe by "at the same time" they meant multiple overlapping passes. I'd guess it's more likely to stay how it is now, but I'd still check back before your trip.
They way I understand it is a person with MaxPass can't get a FP for a ride for 10am-11am, and then ALSO pull a paper FP for 10-11a.

If everyone in my group purchases MaxPass, will multiple people be able to manage it on multiple phones?
Or do we need to designate one person to manage the MaxPass for the whole group on a single device? The reason I ask is that the group could split up.

Also, will PhotoPass photos be accessible by every person? Or just the person who is managing MaxPass on the phone?

If everyone in my group purchases MaxPass, will multiple people be able to manage it on multiple phones?
Or do we need to designate one person to manage the MaxPass for the whole group on a single device? The reason I ask is that the group could split up.

Also, will PhotoPass photos be accessible by every person? Or just the person who is managing MaxPass on the phone?

Yeah, I'd like to know this too. We're meeting up with friends who will arrive one day before us, so they need to be able to pull passes on that first day, and then we might split up in various combinations over the following 4 days.

I've been following the huge MP thread since the beginning and I think the easiest way to think about MP is that it allows you obtain a FP through the MP technology instead of the traditional way through a kiosk. A FP is a FP, regardless of how you obtain them. They are linked to your pass/ticket and you can't double up. Someone who has been in the parks recently can correct me if I'm wrong, but here are some notes I've made from the huge MP thread:

Similarities between Maxpass FP users and Traditional FP users:
  • You can scan your ticket/pass into your phone and track your FP using the Disneyland app
  • You can cancel a FP
  • FP are linked to a specific ticket/pass for both obtaining and using. (Prior to all the changes, you had to use your ticket/pass to obtain a FP, but anyone could use the FP.)
  • Multiple people can track the same pass/ticket. You just have to scan them into multiple phones using the app. If one person tracking a pass/ticket takes action (get a FP, cancel a FP, use a FP), it will update on the phones of everyone else tracking that same pass/ticket. (Assuming you have cell phone data coverage or manage to get wifi, but that is a different issue...)
  • Both can get a FP from a kiosk.
Differences between Maxpass FP users and traditional FP users:
  • MP users can obtain a FP from their phone or from a kiosk, while traditional FP users can only obtain a FP from a kiosk.
  • MP users have access to FP that are released by other people and these may be for at time period much earlier than the current FP return time being distributed at a kiosk to traditional FP users. If you have a split party with some having MP and others not, but wish to ride all at the same time, then use the kiosk to get FP for the entire group if there is a time discrepancy.
  • MP users get photopass included as part of the package
As far as the photopass benefit, I plan to add MP to at least one of our AP's and will use that AP for all pictures. We typically stay together as a family, but even if we were to separate, I would get a photopass card that we would share and then link that card to the AP with the MP benefit.

Yeah, I'd like to know this too. We're meeting up with friends who will arrive one day before us, so they need to be able to pull passes on that first day, and then we might split up in various combinations over the following 4 days.
Yes. We were a party of 7 made up of 3 smaller groups. The 3 adults all scanned all 7 tickets, and any of us could have made fastpasses for the whole group, or for any combination of the group. It's really very easy.

Yes. We were a party of 7 made up of 3 smaller groups. The 3 adults all scanned all 7 tickets, and any of us could have made fastpasses for the whole group, or for any combination of the group. It's really very easy.

Oh that's great! So each ticket can be scanned into multiple phones. I guess the MaxPass is actually on the ticket itself, and not tied to the app.

Thanks for the info!! that makes sense, we will get all 4 adults to scan all 6 tickets in that case, that way we can swap/switch in whatever configuration.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter