Maui-Aulani Itinerary Check

KSkywalker17

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

We have a trip planned for next month that includes 4 nights in Maui followed by 5 nights at Aulani. It will be my wife and I, along with our 3 kids (boys ages 14 and 9, daughter age 6). I was hoping for some feedback on our itinerary. My wife and I were in Oahu about 20 years ago when we were in college. We're coming from the east coast and the kids are really good travelers.

Day 1 (Maui): Newark-LAX-Maui, arriving at about 7:30pm local time. No plans. Staying at the Marriot Ocean Club Maui

Day 2 (Maui): Hang out at the hotel pool/beach and immediate area, Whalers Village

Day 3 (Maui): Road to Hana via the Shaka app. We have a standard SUV rented for the trip. Is it worth using Turo to get a Wrangler/convertible just for this day (it's about $100).

Day 4 (Maui): Explore local beaches/snorkeling, likely Kapalua Bay. Any other snorkeling suggestions?

Day 5 (Oahu): Arrive on Oahu at 8:25am, get settled and enjoy Aulani.

Day 6 (Oahu): Our son is turning 10! He enjoys history and wants to see Pearl Harbor. I already booked the Arizona for 1:45pm that day along with USS Missouri tickets. We'll probably arrive early and do the Missouri first and head out after the Arizona, spending the rest of the day at Aulani. We'll pack some gifts from home to give him that day, any other suggestions on celebrating a birthday at Aulani?

Day 7 (Oahu): Waikiki, 1hr catamaran tour. Hike Diamond Head.

Day 8 (Oahu): North Shore in the morning, Aulani Luau in the evening.

Day 9 (Oahu): Aulani all day.

Day 10 (Oahu): depart for home, flight leaving at 5pm.

We'll be eating casually all trip and have done my research on the food trucks and popular spots on both islands. We cut Kualoa Ranch for time and budget purposes. I'd love some feedback on the itinerary, thanks in advance!

The Captain's tour of the.Missoiri is fantastic.

Bishop Museum and Iolani Palace are both very good visits to learn about the indigenous history of the islands.

The Captain's tour of the.Missoiri is fantastic.

Bishop Museum and Iolani Palace are both very good visits to learn about the indigenous history of the islands.

I just booked the Captain's Tour for the USS Missouri. It sounds really interesting! Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

I'm currently looking for some age-appropriate, interesting history books on Pearl Harbor / USS Arizona for my kids to read before we leave in a few weeks. They're almost 11.

I read parts of Pearl Harbor Child with my 5YO before the trip - she loved learning about the history from a kid’s perspective and was thrilled to find a photo of the author (that was also in the book) in the exhibits at Pearl Harbor.

This book has lots of interesting facts and photos and would be great for the older kids (I actually expected my 11YO to get more into it than the 5YO, but she wasn’t feeling it)

I just booked the Captain's Tour for the USS Missouri. It sounds really interesting! Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

I'm currently looking for some age-appropriate, interesting history books on Pearl Harbor / USS Arizona for my kids to read before we leave in a few weeks. They're almost 11.
My wife and 9y/o read the “I survived” book on Pearl Harbor. He seems to enjoy that series. They have a nice bedtime routine reading at night. A 11y/o can definitely handle it on his own.

There is also the book series "Who Was_____?" and" What was________?" This series has the book "What Was Pearl Harbor?", which would be age appropriate for your children.

Day 4 (Maui): Explore local beaches/snorkeling, likely Kapalua Bay. Any other snorkeling suggestions?
I have not gone in 20-ish years but Molokini crater still looks like a good place to snorkel.
You need a reservation for Diamond Head now. https://gostateparks.hawaii.gov/diamondhead
I wasn't aware of this so hopefully, you've made your reservations.
Have a fantastic trip!
If you can, get the earliest reservation you can handle so you are there before it gets too crowded and too hot. Our 7yo had no problem walking up and down, although if it had been later in the day (and hotter), I'm sure there would have been some complaining. (We had a 6:30am reservation and got there around 7ish?)

Hi everyone,

We have a trip planned for next month that includes 4 nights in Maui followed by 5 nights at Aulani. It will be my wife and I, along with our 3 kids (boys ages 14 and 9, daughter age 6). I was hoping for some feedback on our itinerary. My wife and I were in Oahu about 20 years ago when we were in college. We're coming from the east coast and the kids are really good travelers.

Day 1 (Maui): Newark-LAX-Maui, arriving at about 7:30pm local time. No plans. Staying at the Marriot Ocean Club Maui You will be close to Hyatt as well and there is Ululani shave ice there, which is very good!

Day 2 (Maui): Hang out at the hotel pool/beach and immediate area, Whalers Village You can mobile order food at Leilani's, which is popular. The Poke bar in the food court is good as well.

Day 3 (Maui): Road to Hana via the Shaka app. We have a standard SUV rented for the trip. Is it worth using Turo to get a Wrangler/convertible just for this day (it's about $100). We used the SUV for RTH and it was great. We didn't do the backside to Hana, so can't speak to the need to use a Jeep. Shaka app is great and we loved it.

Day 4 (Maui): Explore local beaches/snorkeling, likely Kapalua Bay. Any other snorkeling suggestions? The snorkeling at Kapalua Bay is great. There is also a good walking trail next to it, which leads down to Oneloa beach. Our family enjoyed playing in the waves there. You may want to look it up.

Day 5 (Oahu): Arrive on Oahu at 8:25am, get settled and enjoy Aulani.

Day 6 (Oahu): Our son is turning 10! He enjoys history and wants to see Pearl Harbor. I already booked the Arizona for 1:45pm that day along with USS Missouri tickets. We'll probably arrive early and do the Missouri first and head out after the Arizona, spending the rest of the day at Aulani. We'll pack some gifts from home to give him that day, any other suggestions on celebrating a birthday at Aulani? Breakfast at Makahiki could be fun if he is still interested in the characters. Keep in mind it is pricey though

Day 7 (Oahu): Waikiki, 1hr catamaran tour. We park at the mall across from Waikiki beach (International Market place) for best parking which would cost approx. $20 for 4 hours Hike Diamond Head. I believe you have to book this online in advance now.

Day 8 (Oahu): North Shore in the morning, Aulani Luau in the evening.

Day 9 (Oahu): Aulani all day.

Day 10 (Oahu): depart for home, flight leaving at 5pm. Our flight was later in the evening as well. We used the Luana Lounge to get ready around 4 before we did one last dinner at Monkey Pod before heading out. You will have to reserve your spot to use the lounge the morning of checkout by standing in the front desk around 5:45ish AM

We'll be eating casually all trip and have done my research on the food trucks and popular spots on both islands. We cut Kualoa Ranch for time and budget purposes. I'd love some feedback on the itinerary, thanks in advance!

I have not gone in 20-ish years but Molokini crater still looks like a good place to snorkel.

If you can, get the earliest reservation you can handle so you are there before it gets too crowded and too hot. Our 7yo had no problem walking up and down, although if it had been later in the day (and hotter), I'm sure there would have been some complaining. (We had a 6:30am reservation and got there around 7ish?)
Thanks! I have a few days until I can book Diamondhead. WDW has me trained to set reminders for attractions. Had no idea this was going to be necessary when we committed to this trip.

Thanks! I have a few days until I can book Diamondhead. WDW has me trained to set reminders for attractions. Had no idea this was going to be necessary when we committed to this trip.
I know... I was torn between being on Island Time and being a WDW Gunner. Ultimately we missed out on going to the Aulani luau because a spot never opened up (the party just before us on the wait list got last minute tickets), but we did get in to Ama Ama and the character breakfast last minute. And we'll go back so we'll plan our luau visit better.

If you can, I would try to add Punchbowl National Cemetery of the Pacific if you can. I was a history buff when I was your son's age and I would have loved to visit Punchbowl.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter