Mattress help!

HeatherC

Alas...these people I live with ...
We are searching for a new mattress and wonder if anyone has any suggestions on any? Would like to stay under $2000 if possible for a decent one. What do you have and do you like it?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I think the best advice is to go to a mattress store and see what is most comfortable for the both of you. Some seem way too soft but others might like that. Price has less to do with comfort and mostly about the brand name.

Everyone swears by latex/foam mattresses, but for my money, I love a good innerspring. I bought the Heavenly bed once after staying at a W, it's been great, but didn't last more than 8 years, which is common with pillowtops. It's really just a rebranded Simmons, so I bought a Simmons Beautyrest Black and had the same great, but short, experience. Foam/latex lasts a lot longer, but sleeps hot and isn't my cup of tea.

It's so subjective--hard to give one-size-fits-all advice. Several years ago we bought one of those mattresses-in-a-box (Leesa). I loved it, DW hated it but didn't reach a final decision until after our 100-day return period had passed. We now have a conventional spring mattress with a pillow top that she likes and I kind of put up with. :confused3

This is the one area where liking something is REALLY subjective. Between various members of my family, I've tried all types. I am not a fan of the foam mattresses at all. I've tried a few times. I always come back to the standard innerspring mattress--no pillowtop (I'd rather add something to it than purchase an attached pillow top). Anyway, no real recommendations. I'm currently on a Stearns and Foster. I'm sure they don't even make my "model" anymore but it's been a very good mattress. Have had it longer than one should but it has just about ZERO wear on it. In my experience, I would go to a store that has mattresses out you can lay on. My experience is that they do get better as the price goes up. I really wanted to love the affordable mattresses at Costco but, nope, they aren't great. My friend bought some for his beach house and said they didn't hold up well.

Sleep Number. The only difference is the padding on the top. We miss our bed when we are on vacation. Make sure you try the different models (again it's the padding on top that is the difference). There is a long warranty. Our son and DIL have one as well with less padding (and less $ but it was comfortable for them). We're on year 11 (model I-8) and loving it!

Another vote for Sleep Number - we love ours - we’ve been sleeping on it for 18 years now 🙂👍🏼

For the money, I kind of just like a Sealy or Simmons. Which to get depends upon whether you like the individual springs of the Simmons or would rather have the connected support of the Sealy. I prefer the Sealy.

Pillow tops don't last long enough to be worth the money for me. Buy a 200 dollar pillow top and replace it every couple of years if need be rather than pay 2 grand for a brand new mattress with the pillow top sewn in.

The memory foam ones here have come down in price considerably. But I'm still not a big fan of them. Probably for the same reason I prefer the connected support of the Sealy over the individual cradling effect of the Simmons.

But it's all what you prefer.

We are a few months into our new Sleep Number mattress. Life changing, its so much more comfortable than anything we've had before. We got a split top king and its worth every $$$.

We really wanted a Sleep Number, but they were just too expensive, so we ended up getting one from Sam's Club (I think it was about $700 for a king) and it has turned out to be a great mattress. We did add a memory foam topper to it (another $100), but it has really held up well.

I am not a fan of the foam mattresses at all. I've tried a few times. I always come back to the standard innerspring mattress--no pillowtop (I'd rather add something to it than purchase an attached pillow top). Anyway, no real recommendations. I'm currently on a Stearns and Foster. I'm sure they don't even make my "model" anymore but it's been a very good mattress. Have had it longer than one should but it has just about ZERO wear on it.
Does anyone know where you can get a standard innerspring mattress these days, without foam or latex?

I just got a new mattress and if I could do it over I would not get one without memory foam. I expect that this will become a "guest room" bed and I will be getting a new innerspring/pillow-top in the nearish future.

We have two Saatva classic mattresses in luxury firm and really like them and they were comfortable from day 1. They are a firmer mattress. I felt like it was great quality, at a lower cost. My neighbor has one and loved hers- that’s how I heard of them. Do not purchase a Beautyrest Black. Bought one of those to replace our old same model and it was so painful to sleep on for several weeks and then had divots in it immediately (we are not large people). Will never purchase one of those again- so much $$$$ and just not the quality you’d expect for the price.

Thanks everyone! Went looking last night at one store and didn’t find anything. Also shocked how expensive they are. Yuck! But going to try again in the next week or so.

I did not like the Beautyrest Black either. My sister recommended it, but we were not impressed with them.

The search continues.

Thanks everyone! Went looking last night at one store and didn’t find anything. Also shocked how expensive they are. Yuck! But going to try again in the next week or so.

I did not like the Beautyrest Black either. My sister recommended it, but we were not impressed with them.

The search continues.
Please keep us posted with your progress. I looked for a mattress last year and never found anything I liked. I'd love to hear about what you eventually decide on.

The contemporary mattress industry is frustrating. 20 years ago, you could easily buy a comfortable innerspring mattress for a reasonable price and have it last for decades. Now that the whole industry has switched to memory foam & latex, mattresses are a lot more expensive, don't last nearly as long, and it's harder to find one you really like.

The contemporary mattress industry is frustrating. 20 years ago, you could easily buy a comfortable innerspring mattress for a reasonable price and have it last for decades. Now that the whole industry has switched to memory foam & latex, mattresses are a lot more expensive, don't last nearly as long, and it's harder to find one you really like.
Furniture in general is frustrating. I am not a fan of any of the current trends. As to mattresses, the sales guy who sold me mine said that most mattresses only last 5 years.

Furniture in general is frustrating. I am not a fan of any of the current trends. As to mattresses, the sales guy who sold me mine said that most mattresses only last 5 years.
That's a salesman for you. Part of what he said was about selling, and part was about the new way they produce mattresses. Mattresses used to last for decades and also were affordable. The stuff they sell now only lasts 5 years, and they often cost thousands of dollars each.

I have a Tempur Pedic and I absolutely love it. I am not a fan of spring mattresses so my recommendation is probably not what you are wanting. I've had it for 6 years and it's going strong and I always love coming home from vacation because the mattresses in hotels are so horrible compared to my Tempur Pedic. They are expensive but they last (at least 20 years if not more according to the sales rep I dealt with) and are worth it. My parents had a Sleep Number that gave them the worst problems and they finally got rid of it. They bought a Tempur Pedic on my suggestion and both of them are absolutely in love with it. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter