Marriott Resorts Closest to MK??

LAJMommy

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

I am totally new to the Dis Boards. We are planning our 1st trip to Disney for January 2011.

My parents will be coming along and have offered their timeshare (Intervale) weeks to us as well as their Marriott Points.

We are looking for a resort (preferably Marriott) that is comparable to the Deluxe Resorts in the Park or better. We prefer to have as short as a commute as possible for going back and forth.

What do you all recommend??

Thanks!
LAJ Mommy

The closest Marriott resort to Disney parks is the Orlando Marriott World Center. It's huge. It also has 3 Marriott timeshare resorts:

Royal Palms (all 2 bedroom villas)
Sabal Palms (all 2 bedroom villas)
Imperial Palms (all 3 bedroom villas)

If you have them look ahead of time, you may find an Interval International "getaway" to one of these. They are usually deeply discounted pre-paid weeks, but you cannot cancel these types of reservations. They can put it in your name for a small extra charge (guest accomodations certificate) so if they find one of these, it may be better than using points or using their Marriott week!

I actually have booked 3 of these getaways in the past: once at Marriott's Grande Vista, and twice at Marriott's Harbour Lake (the third one we're using next month for spring break). For each of these weeks, I paid less than $400 for the total week, including tax, for 2 bedroom villas. I got lucky, and was checking kind of frequently. I really loved Harbour Lake - it is an easy drive to Disney from this location, and I like that it's a smaller resort (more compact). My villa there was recently remodeled last time, and it was so clean.

If proximity to Disney is the main concern, I'd look at the World Center hotel or the 3 timeshare resorts at it. I prefer a villa now that the kids are older - nice to have the space to spread out and the kitchen and washer/dryer.

Thank You for the break down. it is a bit overwhelming but I keep telling myself we have plenty of time!

There are a cluster of hotels right by DTD - I can't think what the 1st one is called, something Springs, but then there is a Courtyard and a Fairfield Inn. We stayed at the Fairfield Inn and it was REALLY nice. They offered a nice breakfast and the people were super great too.

There are a cluster of hotels right by DTD - I can't think what the 1st one is called, something Springs, but then there is a Courtyard and a Fairfield Inn. We stayed at the Fairfield Inn and it was REALLY nice. They offered a nice breakfast and the people were super great too.

That's the Marriott Village - a Courtyard, Springhill Suites, and Fairfield Inn and Suites. It's a gated group of hotels with a food court area.

After next week, Marriott has downgraded the hotel category of one of them from a category 5 to a 4 (I forget which one) which means it's less points per night. So if using points that's an option.

I've never stayed there, but think they do offer some kind of shuttle service? I don't know how often or the cost.

We have stayed at the Marriott Village. It is very convenient to DTD, and getting to parks. It is very clean and seems like a safe/secure location.

I wouldn't burn Marriott Reward Points or even an interval exchange on Orlando. I even own Orlando at Grande Vista and Harbour Lake. I don't use those to exchange back to or even stay in Orlando. We always buy Interval International getaways or get 2 for 1 exchanges in to Orlando. My suggestion is the getaways through II, usually very cheap for the month of January as this is not peak time in Orlando.

I wouldn't burn Marriott Reward Points or even an interval exchange on Orlando. I even own Orlando at Grande Vista and Harbour Lake. I don't use those to exchange back to or even stay in Orlando. We always buy Interval International getaways or get 2 for 1 exchanges in to Orlando. My suggestion is the getaways through II, usually very cheap for the month of January as this is not peak time in Orlando.

True!

We've done 2 getaways for spring break (second week of March) and one the week before Christmas - each time under $400 (this coming spring break was $350 at Harbour Lake).

You have to keep checking, as availability changes daily. They always have non-Marriott ones, but we go with Marriott.

We are looking for a resort (preferably Marriott) that is comparable to the Deluxe Resorts in the Park or better.

There is nothing comparable to the Deluxe Resorts if you are staying off property. Not even close. The conveniences of staying on property far outweigh even the luxuries you would get at the Ritz Carlton.

Just my $.02.

There is nothing comparable to the Deluxe Resorts if you are staying off property. Not even close. The conveniences of staying on property far outweigh even the luxuries you would get at the Ritz Carlton.

Just my $.02.

The OP is given some options that are a gift, though. So that's not the issue - free is better!

I also have found now that we prefer the space of a villa - and the Disney villas are way smaller than the Marriotts (our last stay was split with Harbour Lake to a BWV, and the Boardwalk one was so tiny compared to the Marriott one, and not in nearly as nice of condition). The Marriott villa was easily twice the size, cleaner, and had more amenities in the kitchen.

So the OP is looking for opinions on Marriotts, not a debate over on vs. off site.

Yes onsite is convenient. And I've paid for it many times, especially when my DH isn't along on the trip.

PS: congratulations on quitting smoking!!!! Way to go!!!! Wish you could talk my dad into quitting! You'll be so much healthier!

My parents are currently at the Courtyard Orlando Lake Buena Vista. The first room they had was not good, it was dirty, shabby looking. After almost changing hotels they were moved to another room and it was much nicer than the first.

I also have found now that we prefer the space of a villa - and the Disney villas are way smaller than the Marriotts (our last stay was split with Harbour Lake to a BWV, and the Boardwalk one was so tiny compared to the Marriott one, and not in nearly as nice of condition). The Marriott villa was easily twice the size, cleaner, and had more amenities in the kitchen.

Supposedly Old Key West and Marriott Sabal Palms 2 BRs are almost the same square feet (1333 and 1360, respectively), but all the rest of the onsite Disney 2 BRs are tiny (1226 sq feet or smaller). And for my tastes, the Disney villas are not designed well -- lots of halls and full laundry rooms and the like. The master bath and laundry room in the Old Key West take as many square feet as the bedroom!

The space for the bathrooms tends to come out of the living/dining/kitchen area, so you don't get a table that sits as many as the unit sleeps and the like, which I don't like (even if we don't cook much, we like to gather around the table for games and things). Disney villas work fine if you're on a dining plan and go commando, but not so hot for more relaxed vacationing.

Marriott resorts tend toward the more open plan with the bath tub and sink integrated into the bedroom and a larger living/dining/kitchen area. We like space, so that's what we prefer, but of course it's a matter of taste. ;)

If you want to go Marriott, I would recommend the World Center resorts. You turn right out of the resort center onto World Center Drive, which immediately goes under I-4 and turns into Epcot Center Drive, at which point you're on Disney property. :) It's right across the highway from Typhoon Lagoon, if that helps.

Hi All,

I am totally new to the Dis Boards. We are planning our 1st trip to Disney for January 2011.

My parents will be coming along and have offered their timeshare (Intervale) weeks to us as well as their Marriott Points.

We are looking for a resort (preferably Marriott) that is comparable to the Deluxe Resorts in the Park or better. We prefer to have as short as a commute as possible for going back and forth.

What do you all recommend??

Thanks!
LAJ Mommy

Haven't stayed at any of them but just recently tried to get a week so I researched them to death! :laughing:

Marriott Grande Vista looks EXTREMELY nice. I was trying for that one. Then I saw the Marriott's that share the property with Marriott World Center. Having that pool/facilities available to you when you stay at the Sabal/Royal/Imperial(this one is 3 bedroom) would be fantastic! IMO, far better than anything Disney has to offer. But it is a walk/shuttle ride away.

I've heard good things of Cypress Harbor too. Marriott is known for great customer service so you will have a great time no matter where it is.

Good luck!:)

If you were to ask me, I would also want to stay in any Marriott Hotel. We have reward points and Marriott discount card that can be used in any Marriott all over the world. Not that I am promoting Marriott, but their hotels are indeed first class and worth the money. Although it is quite expensive, you would feel that you are paying for the right reasons. ;)

I haven't stayed at the World Center but have stayed at Grande Vista, Harbour Lake and will be staying at Cypress Harbour on our next trip. They are the farthest of all the resorts but the drive really isn't that bad, about 15 minutes. I would definitely check those out if you can. If you're able to get Lakeshore Reserve (and I'm not sure how far that is from the parks), I would say to check that out too. You get the privilege of using JW Marriott's amenities as well, and it's brand new! Have fun!

Someone mentioned they had stayed at this location and I would really like more info. I got a super deal via interval and will be there for a week. How far is it from the Parks? Is it as nice as it looks online? I got my first night at DTD Holiday inn for points and 40.00. Then we are at MGV for a week, and then I still have to find a spot for Thursday to Sunday as we exteded our original plans to stay. LOL....Im considering Laquinta as its 3 nights and I can get the first night for points plus 15.00. Thanks!:rotfl:

Someone mentioned they had stayed at this location and I would really like more info. I got a super deal via interval and will be there for a week. How far is it from the Parks? Is it as nice as it looks online? I got my first night at DTD Holiday inn for points and 40.00. Then we are at MGV for a week, and then I still have to find a spot for Thursday to Sunday as we exteded our original plans to stay. LOL....Im considering Laquinta as its 3 nights and I can get the first night for points plus 15.00. Thanks!:rotfl:

We own at Grande Vista, so I may be a little biased. But the resort is great. Lot of large pools and it looks better in person that it does in the photos online. Just be sure to call ahead and ask to be placed in a renovated unit.

How close is the closest Mariott Residence Inn? While we are thinking of staying in the world next year, since my sister works for Marriott, its hard to ignore that I get employee rate at the residence inn.

We stayed in a 3 bedroom Grand Vista last time (my sister went with us) It was nice, but huge.

I can't believe you guys complain that the Disney villas are small. Thats bigger then my house! (not counting my basement and garage)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter