March No Buy..Rolling Into Spring!

nunzia

You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys
Really? No one has started this yet? I am the first? :thumbsup2

OK..this month I'm changing it up for myself...instead of No Buy days I'm going to track what I spend on items other than bills or required medication. So...I notice I usually budget about $650-$700 for amonth, but since we have 3 family birthdays this month and parties galore I'll start off with an $800.00 budget for the month and count down :)
All aboard.....

Here!

I did this a while ago and then got lazy stopped using this thread as an accountability tool. But I'm back. I have credit card debt that must go.

I am going to challenge myself to 10 no spend days. (seems like a good way to re-start)

This tread really helped me be more mindful in my spending, so I'm looking forward to this challenge.

I'm going to try this. We've been trying to get back into shopping grocery sales weekly instead of picking stuff up as we need it (and at full-price, usually) plus I've had to resist a lot of impulse purchases lately.

Today's already out because I had to buy padded envelopes for my amazon sales, but I'm looking forward to trying!

0/31 nobuy days

March is one year since I started doing no-buys months. There have been months when I didn't participate, but it helps me stay focussed.

Anyway, my goal is half the month of no-buy days. Exceptions are gas (I try to save where I can) and the rest of my DS's birthday party... If only people would RSVP!

I want to join. My goal is no-buys at the work cafeteria all month. I need to either bring my lunch or I need to go somewhere less expensive (and healthier) than the cafeteria.

Hope you don't mind a complete newbie...:) Though I feel like I know all of you since I've been checking this thread everyday since Jan :lmao:

Quick background..I am a SAHM who homeschools. We have recently had to tighten our belts cause DH got a promotion at work to a salaried position :rolleyes1 He was a straight commission sales rep who got a move up to management. We lost about $800 a mo. He couldn't pass this promo up as it could lead up the ladder and should come with a yr end bonus and raises.

I have been tracking since the 1st and it's getting tough to stick to budget so I thought maybe some accountability would help -

Goals:
As many no buys as I can get - I racked up 18 in Jan and 16 in Feb - helps that we live in a small town about 30 miles from a larger one and it's been below zero most of those mos....

Other goals:
$425 for food (In Jan and Feb I had it at $400, but that meant usually going without milk for the last few days :lmao:)
$150 for gas and oil changes
$75 for household supplies (this is where I got the $25 from to give to food)
$40 for haircuts and clothing supplies...(since we homeschool we can get away with less clothes - my 2 yr old has been wearing a swimsuit since our last trip in Sept :rotfl2:)
and $50 for blowing/eating out/entertainment

March 1st: Will definately not be a no buy - we have NO food left after last month and I haven't been to town since the 19th - so will update with the damages later. Will shop Walmart and all 3 groc store to get all the loss leaders...

This will be my first no buy month. I'm not sure exactly what I'll be doing. I'm going to try for 20 no buys days. But, for me, just keeping track of where my money actually goes will be bigger. I've already got my chart out and hope to spend $500 or less on groceries, $200 or less on gas. $100 or less on eating out and, hopefully, no other expenses this month. I'm going back to college and we need to start saving more! :thumbsup2

Ok,

I want to try this as well. Let me see.

I am going to try to get 15 no buy days in this month. I think that is going to be tough with the Coffee I buy each day. 50 cents a cup... hmmm...

Well... this month I'll try.. and next month I might dare more...

The March budget is $700 with 12 no spend days.

Auto $50
Eating Out/Entertainment $100
Giving $10
Groceries/Household Goods $235
Medical $25
Misc. $75
Set bills $205

No spend days 12 / 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2/1 $0 (left eye cataract surgery today so calling it early)

Going for 12 no buy days - half of the days that we are not at Wdw!!!

Today I already bought gas, but I did bring my lunch and am attending a dinner paid for by work so that part is good!!

Hugs and prayers for a successful surgery Tiggerish!:thumbsup2

Since I march to the beat of a different drummer, I am going to go along with my pay periods.

February 25-March 11:

No buy goal: 7
Cash: $100
Medical:$180/-20
Groceries:$200/-92

Feb 25: $92 groceries
Feb 26: $0
Feb 27: $0
Feb 28: $0 ( do not count medical costs, just try to contain them )
March 1: $0 have to go to a meeting at work.: they usually put out coffee.

No buy goal: 7 / 4 accomplished!

This will be my first no buy month. I'm not sure exactly what I'll be doing. I'm going to try for 20 no buys days. But, for me, just keeping track of where my money actually goes will be bigger. I've already got my chart out and hope to spend $500 or less on groceries, $200 or less on gas. $100 or less on eating out and, hopefully, no other expenses this month. I'm going back to college and we need to start saving more! :thumbsup2

Welcome!! It is amazing to me, when I realize how much money I waste! No buy keeps me honest with myself.:goodvibes

Ok,

I want to try this as well. Let me see.

I am going to try to get 15 no buy days in this month. I think that is going to be tough with the Coffee I buy each day. 50 cents a cup... hmmm...

Well... this month I'll try.. and next month I might dare more...

Welcome!:cool1: good luck meeting all your goals!:banana:

I started tracking my spending last month and this month I am going to do the same. We actually spent less than I thought we would on eating out. I don't have any "no buy" goals, but I am going to try to plan my dinners so that we eat out less.

Erica

I'm in again. I can finally see my bank balance raising!:cool1:

Full month with a mini vacation planned in there so I don't want to underestimate reality like I did last month....I'm going with $2000 in spending and I'll try for 10 no buy days.

3/1 $20 for DD's cello lesson
3/2 $0
3/3 $0
3/4 $35 Aldi
3/5 $55 Walmart
3/6 $0
3/7 $17 Aldi, $18 ACMoore, $28 Tops, $40 Gas ($103)
--------$213-------3 no spend days
Universal Harry Potter long weekend starts Thursday.....

3/8 $20 DD's cello lesson, $13 Kohls, $35 haircut ($68)
3/9 Leaving for US/IOA, could get tricky over the next few days!
3/10 at US IOA, already budgeted the $$
3/11 at US/IOA, already budgeted the $$
3/12 at US/IOA, already budgeted the $$
3/13 at US/IOA, already budgeted the $$; $28 pizza and wings for dinner once home
3/14 $80 groceries
---------$176+$213= $389------0+3=3 no spend days
3/15 $0 Cello lesson cancelled
3/16 $38 grocereis
3/17 $26 groceries
3/18 gas $40, groceries $32, ACMoore $3 ($75)
3/19 $0
3/20 $12 Lowes, $120 Tuesday Morning, $82 groceries (have to stop the daily trips that have been happening since US/IOA trip) $224
3/21 $0
---------$389+363=$752-------3+3=6 no spend days
3/22 $20 for DD's Cello lesson
3/23 Crazy spendy Mom day! $108 new purse for DD--Easter present from Coach sale, $78 Vicky secrets for Me--new Pjs and a top, $58 dinner at melting pot girls night out ($31.99 my butt, lol!), $20 for a benefit for sick coworker's wife, $10 for 2 baby showers at work--$274
3/24 $0
3/25 $150 BJ's saved $43 with coupons though!, $41 gas ($191)
3/26 $22 Aldi, $122 Kohls--DH needed new sneakers, shoes and well the dress on the endcap just jumped into my arms! Avon $41 ($186)
3/27 $0
3/28 $ 2 salad at work, $39 bra at vicky Secrets--when will I learn that free panty is never free when I get sucked into a dresing room!
---------$1278---------8 no spend days

3/29 $20 DD's Cello lesson, $3 JC Penney after 10 off minimum 10 purchase coupon
3/30 $0
3/31 $75 groceries and cough meds for DD
---------$1376---------9 no spend days
Looks like the bank balance is growing nicely, this really helps me to keep my spending under control!

February was a good month, so I'm trying this again. I won't have many no spend days (I was lucky to get 3 in February) but hopefully we'll spend even less and save more!

Budget until 3/17 is $320 for gas, groceries, misc, and gifts

3/1 - $13.22 misc (cat food), $15.75 groceries

I did this a few times last year but I think it will work better if I do something a little different... my goal is to keep my credit card bill under $1000 this month, which includes gas and groceries as well as gifts/clothes/entertainment, etc.

March 1st: Will definately not be a no buy - we have NO food left after last month and I haven't been to town since the 19th - so will update with the damages later. Will shop Walmart and all 3 groc store to get all the loss leaders...

I plan on doing something similar to your plan. Prices are going up so much, that now I have to pay attention to prices.

This month I plan on:
$500 for food, paper products, hygiene products
$50-$60 for gas
$40 for oil change and car wash
both girls need shoes

I'm in again. Good to see some familiar "faces" and welcome to the new ones as well.

I already did our grocery shopping today. I spent $75.27 but I saved $35.39 in coupons. I had a ton of free item coupons plus our store had a bunch of free items deals with purchase. I also got back $4.50 off our next shopping trip. I also made a quick stop at Drugmart for a few of their sales items.

March 2011 Budget
Grocery/Household- $300/$218.54 Left
Car/Gas- $50
Eating out -$50
Entertainment/Misc- $100

Total- $500/$418.54 Left

Goal of 15 No Buy Days

Week One
3/1- $75.27 Giant Eagle and $6.19 Drugmart
3/2
3/3
3/4
3/5
3/6
3/7

0/15 No Buy Days

Coupon/Store Savings- $38.38

I'm in for the month! This should be a good month. No birthdays, baby showers, weddings, ect! I am hopeful that we will be spending a bit extra on moving, but we'll see if our current house rents soon. We did move back our move date to May 1st, so we have a bit more time.

I'm going for 14 no buys this month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter