• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

March 22-24: Anything you can eat, I can eat more of...or not...

blueangel

Mouseketeer
This trip was supposed to be a food and drink free for all, but come to think of it all of our trips are. :confused3 Want to know how we did? Read on!

The Cast

Me: 26, spoiled, but honest, only child; kind of picky—not the chicken fingers and pizza kind of picky, but the would have trouble eating at V&A’s kind of picky. I was a vegetarian through college, and am still not a huge meat fan.

Mom: 55, originally from Thailand so she is willing to eat anything. She is a total carnivore and could practically live off of meat (and rice).

The TS Restaurants:
Restaurant Marrakesh
Garden View Lounge
Le Cellier
Concourse Steakhouse
Bonus! Thai Thani on International Drive

Here we go! popcorn::

Day one: :drive:

We drove down today, and arrived in time to check in before some shopping and dinner. We ate outside the world, and I know you want me to get to the good stuff! If you want to hear about Thai Thani, you'll just have to wait 'til the end!

Day two:
Breakfast - Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory
*Part of the reason I chose POFQ was that we could use our DDE discount on our breakfasts and snacks. So did I remember to use it? Of course not! Here's what we had:

King Creole Breakfast - bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, and a biscuit. The eggs looked kind of scary to me, but mom had no complaints. She said the bacon was better than the sausage, and I ate most of her potatoes. They were surprisingly good! Not undercooked or oven-baked from heat lamps. Rather tasty.

Chocolate Chip Pancakes - these came with bacon and were excellent. I think I ate one and a half of the four cakes they gave me, but they hit the spot. I can't comment on the tastiness of the syrup since I didn't eat any, but I believe they had regular and light or sugar free varieties.

Coffee, which was reportedly rather awful
Iced tea, which was surprisingly drinkable :drinking1
Total: $16.58

Snack time! We refilled my AK elephant bottle with lemonade and got mom a diet coke. How pathetic...we aren't even living up to our own expectations at this point! :eek:

Lunch - Backlot Express at MGM
We hopped over here right at lunchtime and found an massive crowd of struggling beasts pushing for the feeding troughs...oh, my mistake. It was the teenagers in line for veggie sandwiches! I kid you not, we were surrounded by girls in school groups all raving over the veggie sandwiches and the bean salad that comes with it. Preferring not to ingest fungus and accompanied by a carnivore, I opted for something more animal-based.

Two chicken finger combos and a diet coke (I still had some lemonade) - Can anyone tell me why Disney chicken tenders taste so much better than anyone elses? Do they cook with pixie dust? At any rate, we gobbled up both lunches while admitting we were already so hot and tired it probably wasn't the best decision. We found the sweet and sour sauce a little tasteless, but the barbeque was nice and vinegar-y. AND - my mom asked me to go get her ketchup. This has never happened before in all my 26 years and five months on this earth. You could have knocked me over with one of Donald's feathers. :donald: But alas, I recovered to eat again.
Total: $16.48

Snack Time! We hopped to Epcot through the International Gateway, which just happens to be conveniently located near France, which just happens to have a conveniently located stand selling "adult" slushies. :yay: We got one of each, a Grand Marnier (orange) and the lemon. In our opinion, you couldn't taste the "adultness" in the lemon one, making it far more dangerous. Mom preferred the orange, but they were both very tasty and a perfect afternoon refresher. They have several little outdoor tables right there that overlook the lagoon. We just picked one and relaxed...
Total: $14

*This is where we realized that we had so far failed to take any pictures of our food for you, dear readers, and vowed to improve our dedication in the future. :rolleyes1

My editing problem has been fixed...why oh why can we not use the tab to indent on the internet? It would make life so much easier! I will continue tomorrow with Marrakesh and Day 3!

We almost stopped for one of those slushies...next time i must! Looking fwd to your reviews!

Thanks for the encouragement :goodvibes , but I must admit, there are no pictures coming. We'd remember after the meal and swear to do it next time, and eventually there were no more next times. BUT there's always October! Besides, that gives me time to actually figure out HOW to post pictures:rolleyes:

Dinner - Restaurant Marrakesh
We had a reservation for 6:30, but having hung around France and Morocco for the better part of an hour already, we just decided to go ahead and see if we could get it about half an hour early. They told us no problem, and took us into the restaurant (right side, for those who have been). The hostess led us straight in...and stopped. Right by the stairs. And looked around in confusion. Apparently all the peeking through the screen they had done had been of no use as people had magically appeared at the table she had wanted us to sit at. So we stood. And stood. It was probably only about 30 seconds, but very awkward. Finally a waiter came and said something to her, they he actually took the menus from her and seated us at a table we had walked right past. :idea:

We sat at our little-itty-bitty table for two that was about two inches from the table on my left, and debated our options. I don't eat lamb, so that really cut down on the menu. All I really wanted were beef brewat rolls and chicken bastilla. The lunch menu has the Sultan's Sampler, which includes those, couscous with veggies, and a skewer of beef or chicken. It's perfect, but not on the dinner menu. I was aware of this, but had decided to ignore the fault in my planning. Well, time to pay for it :headache:

Me: Combination Appetizer Sampler - this is meant for two people :blush: so it came with two chicken bastillas (which are one circle cut in half), two beef brewat rolls, and a portion of the Jasmina Salad.
Mom: Shish Kebab, which is basically a beef skewer, and came with rice.
Both: Mint Iced Tea

Our server brought us our very yummy multigrain bread with butter and our drinks. Warning - the tea is very much unsweetened, but a shot or two of readily available Splenda solved that for this pair of southern residents. He also brought my food, which I had specifically mentioned to be my main course. Feeling rather generous, and let's just say it, rather happy :cloud9: after the slushies, I decided the kitchen probably had no way to know it was to be served with the entree on the order instead of before.

Mom, also feeling very generous, told me to go ahead and eat, but we let it sit in the middle of the table and enjoyed our surroundings. Translation - we checked out everyone else's food around us. The table on my left (the ones almost in our laps) exited without dessert. We never saw what they had (empty plates when we arrived), but apparently waited a while for a check. The table on my right still had dinner remains - this was a four top, and the three people there had apparently devoured an entire dinosaur based on the bones we saw. Thousands of years from now archaeologists are going to excavate Epcot and find that a mass extinction had ocurred on the spot of the Moroccan pavilion. They did not have dessert either, and left the carcasses for the busboys to clean up.

They finally delivered the shish kebabs, so we got down to the business of eating, which for me first meant removing all of the cucumber from my salad. The salad was quite tasty, with some kind of citrus-y vinaigrette dressing and (not enough) goat cheese. I handed over half a bastilla and half a brewat roll, and received a piece of beef in return. It was very good--tender and no pink visible, so I agreed to receive a second piece, which my mother promptly dumped on my plate in the middle of my salad.

Now let's take a time out. :offtopic: A few of you restaurant board regulars may remember a thread a month or so ago that wandered off topic, and a few of us started a support group. You see, we don't like our food to touch. As a child I ate off a divided food storage plate to keep my vegetables from mixing. Corn, thou shalt not socialize with yonder peas...and so on. I have no problem with food that is meant to be touching, such as the ingredients of lasagna, but two separate dishes must have a clearly delineated neutral zone. OK, we now return to our regularly scheduled review.

As I rushed to rescue my mother's precious meat, I very cleverly caused it to come back to life. It jumped right off my plate, slapping me in the chest for daring to try to eat it, and hopped on to the floor to run away. Sigh... My mother, being the sometimes patient and generous woman she is, and very used to the hazards of eating with me, very carefully placed a new piece of meat on my plate, nowhere near my salad. I ashamedly ate it and we moved on with our meal. :sad2:

We both decided the beef brewat rolls were better than the chicken bastilla that night, which was a little dry. Her rice was very good - and we are rice snobs. She orders it everywhere it's on the menu, and usually eats every grain in honor of her poor mother (buddha rest her soul, who had to feed twelve children) but will never fail to complain about how awful it is. To emphasize, rice does not enter her house unless it is new crop, long grain, jasmine from Thailand, preferably Three Ladies brand in a 25lb bag. So when I say the rice was good, believe me. It tasted kind of nutty and buttery. Yum.

We cleaned our plates and settled in as the musicians came out. Ah, back to the real entertainment - people watching. We had new neighbors on each side, an older couple on my left and a family with two daughters on my right. Apparently these people were all on the dining plan, and ordering dinner took much conversation, calculating, and phone calls to headquarters for the latest troop movements. Finally, their appetizers arrived and we were pleased to see food we had not been introduced to before.

The couple ordered a seafood bastilla and a beef brewat rolls. I had seen pictures of the seafood bastilla, but to see it in real life was very interesting. The poor couple was rather confused. The woman, who we'll call Martha in honor of her hair-do, seemed to think they'd delivered dessert to her. "It's some kind of pastry...is that sugar?" And his response, "I think mine's pastry, too. I wonder what's in it?" Ahem, did you guys read your menu?

Dear reader, let me assure you that I didn't intend to eavesdrop. OK, OK, I did, but I wasn't obvious about it since he was literally four inches from my elbow. When we asked us for the sweetener box, I then realized that our tables had previously been a table, no -s-, and at some point had been pulled apart. Hence the extremely close quarters.

The man, who we'll call George in honor of his wife's hair-do, finally decided there was some kind of fish inside. Really?!?! I'd never have guessed. Meanwhile, the family on my right decided to play musical chairs, greatly confusing the server who brought their appetizers. Mom had the salad. Daughter #1, who was a Disney adult, had the harira soup. This is off limits for me since it contains lamb, but did look tasty. Daugher #2 and Dad, being on the far side and much more interested in the belly dancer than their appetizers, hid their food from my prying eyes.

I also noticed servers serving some big bowls full of mysterious meat, rather stew-like in appearance. I've decided this must be the Roasted Lamb Meshoui, but that is and unconfirmed assumption. And I still don't know what animal the piles of future fossils were from. They didn't look like chicken bones, which is the only thing I know is served on the bone on the menu. Those pots of stew must include bones. :confused3

I didn't see anyone have dessert, and we skipped it in favor of a snack! later. We remembered our DDE card here, and got out of Africa. As I stood to leave I nearly turned my ankle as I stepped on...wait for it...the piece of meat that tried to run away. Apparently Mickey's magic had worn off and it didn't escape too far. The bathroom was as nice as ever, I discovered when I retreated to try to rescue my shirt with a shout stick from the shish kebab incident.

Overall, the food was as good as expected, and the service rather slow but friendly.
Total: $47

I'll be back later to finish out the day. It's taking longer for me to review than it did to actually eat!

We moved on around the World Showcase and hit one of my favorite spots - the drinks cart in Italy.

Snack time! I got my fave, Bellini. If you've never had it before, it's an apricot and champagne type cocktail. You can buy it at wine stores, and Costco's World Market, but I've only done it once. And there is a reason.

Quiz: How are Bellini and chicken tenders alike?
:teacher: They always taste better at Disney World!

On the other hand, Rosa Regale champagne tastes just as good at home, so mom skipped her drinky and we enjoyed mine on the bridge over the canal. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, the next time you go to Italy look across the path at the lagoon, you'll see some steps that go up to a bridge and a little area that they use for receptions and grand gatherings. In the little water canal they have real Italian style gondolas parked. Very scenic and enjoyable, but along with that come the photo patrol. We got swarmed and finally left.
Total: $7.51

PS - if you don't know Rosa Regale, run out to the store now. No, you, off the couch and go NOW! It's a sweet red champagne. Supposedly it has a hint of chocolate, but it tastes more like strawberries to me. Darn yummy no matter what the actual flavoring is.

Farther along the way we came to China...and you guessed it...

Snack time! I was :banana: when I heard they'd opened the tea stand here because I loved their green tea plum wine cooler during the Food & Wine Festival, and they had a frozen greet tea plum wine drink on the menu. So I all but skipped up to the window and showed my ID (again) to obtain one strangely orange colored drink derived from one that is yellowy-green and another that is beigey-yellow. :confused:

I was a little worried, but decided to go for it - down the hatch. It was odd... It definitely didn't taste like the over ice version from last October, for those of you who tried that version. This drink was very sweet, but also a little salty. If you've ever had a Thai lime drink, you know that sweet and salty together aren't bad, but this wasn't even like that. I don't know how to describe it. It felt very thick going down. I got through most of it, hoping that it would get better. I'd waited with such anticipation for this! It got worse as it melted, so by the time we'd gone through Maelstrom and Mexico I was done. Alas, I tossed it as we got in line for our EMH wristbands.
Total: $6.38

When we made it to The Land, we saw that Sunshine Seasons was still open, so...

Snack Time! Mom made a beeline for the stir fry section, which was the only hot food station open, and I wandered around back and forth and back and forth and back and forth trying to find something I wanted. I picked up a turkey wrap and put it down. I picked up a macaroni salad and put it down. I picked up some sushi and put it down. I was afraid it had been in the cooler all day and I didn't want to get :sick: I finally hit the dessert case and found mom in line. She said she was going to get the chicken, chili, and garlic noodle bowl. Well...I was now intending to share whatever she got and didn't really want soup, so I very casually asked her if she'd noticed the thai chicken.

Me: Asian chocolate cake
Mom: Thai chicken with white rice. No, she didn't get a side item even though I had pointed out broccoli. She said it looked to mushy and overcooked when she got up there. I can respect that.
Both: Bottled water

We found a table in a not too deserted area (it was kind of creepy in there unless you were by Soarin') and sat down to enjoy it. Or not. All of the chicken was dark meat. If you enjoy dark meat more power to you, but I was raised on chicken tenders and wings. The sauce was quite tasty with a definite spicy kick to it, though. There were some veggies mixed in like carrots and zucchini, so we picked those out and ate the rice with the sauce. The rice was decent, not long grain but not broken pieces.

The cake was a definite disappointment for Disney, but surprisingly authentic if it was truly meant to be asian. It was shaped in a little dome, and covered in chocolate with a white chocolate mickey on top. My brain had immediately said, "It looks like a zebra dome--buy it, buy it!" My taste buds said, "This does not taste like a zebra dome. In fact, does it taste at all?" The chocolate covering had some kind of flavor in it, and the chocolate cake underneath had none. The albino mouse, however, was very yummy!
Total: $14.44

We had planned on trying the beignets when we got back to POFQ, but found during the bus ride back that we were rather full. I wonder why? ;)

We'll try them tomorrow, I promise!

Thanks so much for your reviews! Your writing & descriptions are sooo great! Fun & interesting, but also very informative!!:thumbsup2

Rosa Regale is perfect paired with Dark Chocolate! Try it at home, you will be amazed at how well they go together.:)

Now let's take a time out. :offtopic: A few of you restaurant board regulars may remember a thread a month or so ago that wandered off topic, and a few of us started a support group. You see, we don't like our food to touch. As a child I ate off a divided food storage plate to keep my vegetables from mixing. Corn, thou shalt not socialize with yonder peas...and so on. I have no problem with food that is meant to be touching, such as the ingredients of lasagna, but two separate dishes must have a clearly delineated neutral zone. OK, we now return to our regularly scheduled review.

I remember that!:rotfl: I think I was a member! When is the first meeting?;) Great reviews!!!

Great reviews! You have an excellent sense of storytelling and humor!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter