Marathon Weekend 2025

Bob Iger traded Al Michaels to NBC to get back the rights of Oswald. I think Disney should lean harder into the character and make him the main character of the marathon. After all, how many other characters have the same backstory?

“Disney CEO Bob Iger crafted an agreement with NBCUniversal in 2006 that would bring Oswald back to The Walt Disney Company. Iger—knowing how important Oswald was to the Disney family and the company’s legacy—traded the contract of sportscaster Al Michaels to NBC for the rights to the character.”

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/oswald-the-lucky-rabbit-anniversary-disney/#:~:text=Disney CEO Bob Iger crafted,the rights to the character.

As the leader of the resident Oswald cult around here, I concur!

My favorite part of the story is how how losing Oswald lead directly to the creation of Mickey and the long term success of the company. Triumph in the face of despair and failure!

Howdy y'all!!

New to the forum (Who knew such a place existed) but not new to RunDisney. I ran my first half with RunDisney at Disneyland in January. I must've gotten lucky with the registration as I only had one browser open and got into the queue fairly late.. Reading through the forum has me NERVOUS for marathon registration coming up!

That made me pause too, but I decided its still cheaper than Club RD (which of course has other perks too) that I've considered off an on to avoid the registration stress and I would rather donate a few extra dollars to SCF (or another charity) than give them to the Mouse. Not that Disney isn't going to get more than it's fair share...

Whelp… I just signed up for Dopey through the Scott Carter Foundation Charity. Thanks for mentioning it! It will save me stress of trying to register with possibly bad internet. And it helps a good cause!
Now to add a day to my vacation.

So glad several of you reached out to SCF! I got connected with them through a friend last year. This year they sent an email asking what bibs people wanted to request, so I’m hoping I can at least get one bib through them each year and relieve registration stress. 😝

Thanks for pointing this out as an option! I've always been put off by the sky high fundraising requirements for Dopey bibs from other charities. SCF is definitely reasonable, plus with DD fighting ovarian cancer during COVID and losing my father prematurely to breast cancer, cancer research hits close to home.

Being able to pay the fundraising cost up front and not having to go through the stress of registration are definitely big pluses, as well!

I guess I can go ahead and officially say this, too: In for Dopey #8!

As a former hater, I don't mind Oswald as a theme nearly so much, now that some of his cartoons are available on Disney+. The cartoons are cute, and secondly, at least people now have some experience with the character, beyond a picture. Makes a bit more sense to include him.
Not sure I'm a hater so much as a strong disliker of Oswald. I get the history there, but there are too many other good Disney characters. My Dopey had Pluto for the 5K and Oswald for the ten. Meh. I like Pluto well enough, but they can swap out both Pluto and Oswald for other characters (not Clarabell).

As the leader of the resident Oswald cult around here, I concur!

My favorite part of the story is how how losing Oswald lead directly to the creation of Mickey and the long term success of the company. Triumph in the face of despair and failure!
I knew about the Oswald leading to Mickey history, but I'm still laughing about the contract trade.
I'm picturing Al Michaels, "I got traded for a cartoon rabbit?! Seriously?!"

I knew about the Oswald leading to Mickey history, but I'm still laughing about the contract trade.
I'm picturing Al Michaels, "I got traded for a cartoon rabbit?! Seriously?!"

In a related vein, the beloved Detroit Tigers broadcaster Ernie Harwell was traded early in his broadcasting career (1948) from the Atlanta Crackers to the Brooklyn Dodgers for a catcher when their announcer (Red Barber) got sick. He is the only broadcaster ever to be traded for a player.

Not sure I'm a hater so much as a strong disliker of Oswald. I get the history there, but there are too many other good Disney characters. My Dopey had Pluto for the 5K and Oswald for the ten. Meh. I like Pluto well enough, but they can swap out both Pluto and Oswald for other characters (not Clarabell).
NOT CLARABELLE??? But she's the best.

In a related vein, the beloved Detroit Tigers broadcaster Ernie Harwell was traded early in his broadcasting career (1948) from the Atlanta Crackers to the Brooklyn Dodgers for a catcher when their announcer (Red Barber) got sick. He is the only broadcaster ever to be traded for a player.
This just demonstrates how superb Harwell was at his job. ;)
NOT CLARABELLE??? But she's the best.
INDEED! I love her sassiness!

Last call for Sundays Are For Disney (SAFD)!

We've had fantastic participation in Round 1 of March Magical Madness with 52 votes cast so far! Today's the last day to get your picks in if you want to participate in this round, so get your votes in now.

Scott Carter Foundation confirmed my charity bib so I’m officially running the marathon next year on my birthday. 🥳 😅😱

I like to run MW for charity and it spurred me to go and register for Goofy through them too.

Whelp… I just signed up for Dopey through the Scott Carter Foundation Charity

SCF is definitely reasonable,

Question for all of you who signed up with them.....I am trying to figure out their fundraising requirements. It appears to be a fixed rate, vs the usual graduated distance-based scale that most other charities use. Is this correct? If so, what exactly is the commit? I see some text that seems to indicate $300 if you donate that amount when you register or $400/500 (old/new runner) if you wait. And can I assume that "old" means you have fundraised for them before?

Question for all of you who signed up with them.....I am trying to figure out their fundraising requirements. It appears to be a fixed rate, vs the usual graduated distance-based scale that most other charities use. Is this correct? If so, what exactly is the commit? I see some text that seems to indicate $300 if you donate that amount when you register or $400/500 (old/new runner) if you wait. And can I assume that "old" means you have fundraised for them before?
Yes, everything you said is correct. I have a lot of friends who register through them every year! Since most Dopey bibs have several thousand dollar minimums I definitely encourage anyone registering through SCF to consider that and don’t stop at the minimum! That’s the reason I choose not to go the charity route even though I could just pay the commitment, since I am not great at fundraising. But the low minimum should hopefully take the pressure off fundraising since you know your bib is secured!

Are there any other charities that have a similar model (ahem, and price) to SCF? T&LC was another lower-threshold one last year, but they don't have Goofy listed, and I really don't think I want to do Dopey this year.

Are there any other charities that have a similar model (ahem, and price) to SCF? T&LC was another lower-threshold one last year, but they don't have Goofy listed, and I really don't think I want to do Dopey this year.
I have found Give Kids the World to be really reasonable on fundraising requirements for their bibs and the cost of the bib goes towards the fundraising AND is usually cheaper than registering through runDisney. Last year, my Dopey bib cost me $600 which went towards my $2000 requirement. I can't remember what Goofy was, but it would have been around $1500 with the bib cost going towards that amount.

I’m running with Kellsie’s Hope (first time running with a charity) and just checked and they are sold out of marathon, goofy and dopey but still have 5K, 10k and half bibs

Howdy y'all!!

New to the forum (Who knew such a place existed) but not new to RunDisney. I ran my first half with RunDisney at Disneyland in January. I must've gotten lucky with the registration as I only had one browser open and got into the queue fairly late.. Reading through the forum has me NERVOUS for marathon registration coming up!
Welcome!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter