Marathon Weekend 2025

He could definitely do the Sleepy Challenge 😂.

He’s starting to get back to walking/running for his health. I’ve been trying to take him along with me but I’m getting into longer marathon training runs so he hasn’t been out much with me last few weeks. So hoping to get him to catch the bug.
We shall see!
My DH was trying for the half while I was marathon training this year. I’d run with him at the beginning of my run and then he’d head home after his planned mileage and I’d continue on. That way we could still run together a bit but it didn’t affect my training.

Same! haha - My husband stays back with the kids and will join me post-marathon. With MW being a week later next year we've been throwing around the idea they all fly down and meet me marathon Sunday. For me, it's not realist to vacation in the midst of Dopey. So, it wouldn't be a "family" vacation until after the marathon. My schedule will be totally different than theirs and it would not fly with me to be woken up after park close when I need to be up at 2-something am. But I also would not expect them to go to bed at 8 either.
This is a struggle I have, not hitting the parks while there. We only make it once every few years. And when we do come it’s 7 straight days of parks including Universal and no time for exploring. I would love to explore Orlando and the surrounding areas. I think a trip like this would be good for that so we aren’t stuck hanging around the hotel and I’m not walking around too much for the races.
I know each person has to make the decision that works for them and their family. But I love y’all’s input since there are veteran RunDisney runners here. I’ve only done a few local races so traveling for races would be a new adventure.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Also, congrats 🎊 🎉 to the runners here that completed marathon weekend last week! Y’all had a crazy weekend but sounds like was fun overall!

For those that have non running spouses, how did you get them onboard for a rundisney vacation? I’ve got 3 months til registration to convince my DH to do this trip. So hoping for Dopey 2025.
Show him this forum and he will either think we’re all crazy or want to meet. Or both 😂No really, it seems the majority of runners are not entire families. For me I had my wife and daughter run a couple 5Ks with me and they decided no way, they didn’t like it, but I was instantly hooked. So while it may be tiring, I try not to let it affect things they want to do. Post race is still park time, any special dinners still happen, and I stay up as long as possible to spend time with them, after which they get quality time together. (Think bed at 9:30 for Dopey, 5 hours is plenty of sleep)
That‘s how it started anyways several years ago, now my daughter is in college and still comes with us on most trips. We are lucky enough to come more often now and my wife still supports it and even enjoys the alone time reading by the pool or doing something else while I’m running. Like others have said, what does he like doing, he might really enjoy a few hours on a couple days to do anything he wants. Be careful though, you’ll find yourself at four races a year 😂

For non-running spouses, it can be tough. Especially when you have younger kids. For DH and I (4 kids, ages 4-18,) it means we have to find a house-sitter when we go for race trips. One year, we landed on expo day, and flew home early Monday morning and DH said it never really felt like a vacation because one of us was always getting up super early and then was tired by dinner time. This year we flew down on Sunday night and came back the Tuesday morning after the marathon and that was probably too long. It’s really hard because you need to decide if you want a Disney trip you also run races, or a race trip where you are at Disney. I think resort choice becomes more important when you are doing less park days, so you still have easily accessible things to do.

DH is already talking about taking a year off. And I’m trying to figure out if I could convince him to let me go solo (unlikely) or how to talk my SIL into going with me (difficult because she is a teacher and it’s right after winter break.)

This is a struggle I have, not hitting the parks while there. We only make it once every few years. And when we do come it’s 7 straight days of parks including Universal and no time for exploring. I would love to explore Orlando and the surrounding areas. I think a trip like this would be good for that so we aren’t stuck hanging around the hotel and I’m not walking around too much for the races.
I know each person has to make the decision that works for them and their family. But I love y’all’s input since there are veteran RunDisney runners here. I’ve only done a few local races so traveling for races would be a new adventure.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Also, congrats 🎊 🎉 to the runners here that completed marathon weekend last week! Y’all had a crazy weekend but sounds like was fun overall!

My experience... I've done 3 rD weekends with DH and my kids (who are now 8&11) since Feb 2022. The thing I've struggled with the most is that I am also the trip planner, so I am that runner who stops by the side of the road at 7am to book the lightning lanes. I still felt the pressure to do those things so that my family had an enjoyable vacation.

What I am most strict about is that those trips are for me and my races first and foremost. The family organizes themselves around my schedule, because the races are the reason they are going to WDW. So that means no parks after 6pm and some rest days. My kids can stay in the room to watch TV quietly or go to the pool in the evenings.

My wife and eldest daughter are not runners at all. My younger daughter and I run, though she is much faster than me now that she is getting older! I fluctuate btwn family and solo trips. Generally marathon weekend is a family trip we have been doing since 2015 and spring surprise has become my solo trip. Both work in very different ways. I really like both but do value the family trips more.

Everyone is different, so grain of salt here, but I try very hard to maintain a normal family vacation during marathon weekend. I zip back after races and go into the parks with my family and really focus on that time with them. But as compromise we go a little slower, watch time on feet and have an early dinner. Generally I head back to the hotel shortly after dinner to prep for the next race and get to bed. My family often stay in the parks. I do this for 5k and 10k days. After the Half we usually have a pool day with a nice, but early dinner. Marathon day I celebrate with a big dinner and we all go to closing.

I have found that staying active in the afternoons after the races really helps my legs and by getting back to the hotel after dinner alone, I get quiet time to relax, prep and get a decent amount of sleep.

As my daughters are getting older - college and high school this time is precious to me so I really try to make sure that it feels like vacation to them and because they are so great they really support my running efforts.

Does anyone have a best guess for the Proof-of-Time deadline? (2025 marathon)
Best guess is the race will need to be run by the last weekend in September/first weekend in October with the results having to be updated by the 1st/2nd Tuesday in October.

My wife and eldest daughter are not runners at all. My younger daughter and I run, though she is much faster than me now that she is getting older! I fluctuate btwn family and solo trips. Generally marathon weekend is a family trip we have been doing since 2015 and spring surprise has become my solo trip. Both work in very different ways. I really like both but do value the family trips more.

Everyone is different, so grain of salt here, but I try very hard to maintain a normal family vacation during marathon weekend. I zip back after races and go into the parks with my family and really focus on that time with them. But as compromise we go a little slower, watch time on feet and have an early dinner. Generally I head back to the hotel shortly after dinner to prep for the next race and get to bed. My family often stay in the parks. I do this for 5k and 10k days. After the Half we usually have a pool day with a nice, but early dinner. Marathon day I celebrate with a big dinner and we all go to closing.

I have found that staying active in the afternoons after the races really helps my legs and by getting back to the hotel after dinner alone, I get quiet time to relax, prep and get a decent amount of sleep.

As my daughters are getting older - college and high school this time is precious to me so I really try to make sure that it feels like vacation to them and because they are so great they really support my running efforts.
Very similar to how we do it. This year we really made a big family vacation of it, even throwing in my parents from California. We all flew in the 30th and celebrated NYE at MK. By Wednesday, we had our entire group of 8 there (daughter and fiance flew in later). We would hit the parks every day. My son, daughter, and her fiance would usually hit the parks at open. My wife, parents, and I would usually cruise over to the parks around 10am. Then we would come back around 7pm on race nights so that I could relax and prep for the morning. The kids would essentially close the parks down each night.

My son is a freshman in college and my daughter is 24. So like Baloo in Mi, I don't have very many of these types of vacations with them left. Pretty soon they will be the ones going on these vacations on their own and with their own families.

We aren't planning to do any MW next year. We have APs this year that will expire before MW and our current plan is to do one summer trip and one long trip to be there for NYE. We don't have the exact dates yet or whether we would go before or after Christmas, it will depend on our son's school schedule.

We love Disney but having to plan so far in advance for these races makes it difficult. In 2008 I decided around labor day to add the half with no problem, not you have a few hours for the most part. After our passes expire we are looking to branch out beyond Disney more plus I want to start adding to my list of states I've raced a half or longer in.

The thing I've struggled with the most is that I am also the trip planner, so I am that runner who stops by the side of the road at 7am to book the lightning lanes.
This would be me. I got up early every day of our last trip to book lightening lanes and virtual queues. I’ve planned every trip we’ve taken other than my honeymoon. That was all DH.

So I have been thinking about this for a bit. SAFD (Sundays Are For Disney) the weekly question for all to answer has been a tradition within the yearly MW thread for a number of years. I have hosted the past two years and before me was Lee. I tried hard to maintain the great job Lee did with it even adopting his “good morning runDisney All Stars” weekly greeting. But in this second year I found myself digging back through the previous year’s notes a lot to get ideas for that week’s question.

I think it is time to hand it off to keep it fresh and interesting. That is if the group wants to continue to have SAFD as part of the thread. Either way I am going to step down. I hope some one else wants to step up. I will still be a regular part of the thread just thought we would all benefit from some fresh ideas for the questions. Excited about MW 2025!

So I have been thinking about this for a bit. SAFD (Sundays Are For Disney) the weekly question for all to answer has been a tradition within the yearly MW thread for a number of years. I have hosted the past two years and before me was Lee. I tried hard to maintain the great job Lee did with it even adopting his “good morning runDisney All Stars” weekly greeting. But in this second year I found myself digging back through the previous year’s notes a lot to get ideas for that week’s question.

I think it is time to hand it off to keep it fresh and interesting. That is if the group wants to continue to have SAFD as part of the thread. Either way I am going to step down. I hope some one else wants to step up. I will still be a regular part of the thread just thought we would all benefit from some fresh ideas for the questions. Excited about MW 2025!
I don't know that I can adequately follow in yours and Lee's footsteps, but I've really enjoyed SAFD over the years and am willing to take it over and keep it rolling unless someone else has a burning desire to do it.

I have hosted the past two years and before me was Lee. I tried hard to maintain the great job Lee did with it even adopting his “good morning runDisney All Stars” weekly greeting.
You've done a great job! I always look forward to SAFD and was excited to see what people's thoughts were. It's been a great way to get to know people and sometimes learn something about training too 😅 BIG thanks for running this! (pun definitely intended)

@camaker Thanks for taking on the mantle. If you ever need any help or want to brainstorm a backlog of questions, just let me know. (Yes, I am an Agile enthusiast. How did you know?)

I don't know that I can adequately follow in yours and Lee's footsteps, but I've really enjoyed SAFD over the years and am willing to take it over and keep it rolling unless someone else has a burning desire to do it.
By the power vested in us by some random Internet authority, we now pronounce you moderator of SAFD. Thanks for volunteering to keep this going! Happy to pitch in and help if needed as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter