Marathon Weekend 2023

Also, having now run both a 5k AND 2 10ks at Disney, I kind of don't get why people get so excited for them. I'm assuming that it's a lot of peoples' first race, first disney race, etc., and that's a big part of it (and rightfully so!) but the course is sooooo crowded.
This year was my first time running anything other than the half or full at Marathon Weekend, and I hated the corral situation of the 5k and 10k, and just disliked the 5k in general. Super congested, long photo lines, etc.

The 10k wasn't as bad - I stopped for photos and I loved the course around both Epcot and the Boardwalk area.

But unless I do Dopey again (not likely), I'll continue to skip Disney 5ks!

We did after hours too and really enjoyed it. It was the only park time for us this trip. We had an 8:40a flight after shutting down MK. I was dragging yesterday.

The rest of my group went to MK the previous week and had a good day (as Genie+ actually kind of works for MK); but we were able to do more in our 6 hours in the park during After Hours (even though we immediately went to get a spot for fireworks and didn’t do anything else until Enchantment was over).

It really dawned on me during the one trip I made during the pandemic just how much no lightning lane/fastpass makes a difference to the park experience. I have started to specifically target events like MNSSHP and After Hours because the experience where the line is just the line is so much more fun. The lines actually move and you can easily get a good instinct about how quickly the lines will go and how much the expected wait times have been overestimated.

The 90's vibe was really fun - I appreciate how they went all in with it. But I heard "DuckTales" one too many times!

I was digging it early on but the music loops were too small. I heard a lot of the same songs over and over again. It wasn’t just the Disney stuff either; apparently there were only about 6 pop songs released in the 90’s.

On the topic of deferrals, they could just take the approach of the majors. Allow a goodwill offer to give guaranteed registration to an event (or challenge if they defer a challenge) of their choice in the following race season. No refund, and they still have to pay for registration for their new race, but at least they won't have to stress the registration process and hope to get what they want the next year. The offer could be valid for just the one season, and expires if unused.

If there's concern about people buying a bib for a less popular weekend to defer and guarantee their way into a more popular weekend then they could also limit the guarantee to the same weekend the bib is for. Though I don't know how prevalent that would really be.

Yes, but I wonder how many people ran this weekend with mild Covid or some other illness because they didn't want to loose their registration. They put everyone else at risk.
That right there. I fall into the high-risk category and do what I can to protect myself - and let me tell you how “fun” it is to run 26.2 wearing a KN95 90% of the race - because I assume so many will run sick because they don‘t have any good options for bowing out. And I honestly get that: it’s a ton of money to just toss away. I have mad respect for those who do the right thing and not run knowing they’re infectious because that is not a choice rD makes easy.

I get that we agree to no refunds, deferrals etc. during registration and I absolutely used to point this out to people myself over and over…I cringe thinking about that now. It was easy to “defend” rD’s policy when I was lucky enough to not have injuries or get sick the day before a race or whatever. Because that’s what it was for me, for years and for many runDisney events - luck. But then I was one of those people that had something come up that was completely out of my control, not as a result of my training irresponsibly or whatever, and I’m grateful that the deferral program was still in place at that time. When that same issue came up yet again this year, I really wrestled with what to do…I was not confident I could finish (even though I was working my you-know-what off), however I didn’t want to “waste” my entry…but there were no other options in place, so…? I’m grateful things worked out for me this time.

If you sign up and are willing and able to train and just don’t do it, that’s one thing, but as I said in a previous post, sometimes things happen and we get a sh*t deal. Sometimes we do all of the right things and our bodies still don’t cooperate. I know some of you disagree, again because I used to be on that side. If you haven’t been in the situation where you have to weigh just eating the registration cost or starting the race so you don’t “waste your money” knowing you very well may get swept or further injured (I’m so grateful I didn’t), consider yourself lucky and think about those of us that were really wrestling with this. I don’t think they’ll change things, but it would be nice if runDisney had SOME kind of option in place for injuries/conditions with a doctors note, a positive Covid test the day before, etc.

Last edited:

As you all reflect on your experience this year and other years, is there a training plan that you particularly liked? Especially one that is not for someone trying to break any speed records, just hoping to be able to run or consistently interval through the entire challenge? Thanks :)

I used the Customized Training Program through Jeff Galloway and I can't say enough good things about it. It helped me finish my first marathon/first Dopey strong and healthy. I maintained my planned intervals for virtually all of the races, including the end of the marathon when most other people were exclusively walking.

Also, my stress level pre-race was insanely low. I am an overthinker and I tend to freak myself out with "what if" scenarios. But over the past 6+ months of Customized training, I developed a level of trust in my coach (Chris Twiggs) that let me say "I'm just going to do whatever Chris tells me to do" and stop worrying. On Saturday, when I started to worry about Sunday's heat, he reminded me to follow the plan, which I didn't want to hear but was 100% the right call. He also worked through my new list of "what do I do if's" so that I wasn't trying to make decisions on a foggy runner's brain.

I know that people have issues with the long runs at the end of the Galloway plan (20, 23 and 26 milers), but I went slow as recommended and was 100% recovered within a day or two on the 20 and 23 milers. The 26 took a couple additional days, but the confidence that it gave me on Sunday was worth it. When I started to hit the wall around mile 22, I told myself "it'll be fine, you've done this once before," which was the boost that I needed at that moment.

I struggled - A LOT - with my training plan decision, but looking back, I know that I made the right decision.

I used the Customized Training Program through Jeff Galloway and I can't say enough good things about it. It helped me finish my first marathon/first Dopey strong and healthy. I maintained my planned intervals for virtually all of the races, including the end of the marathon when most other people were exclusively walking.

Also, my stress level pre-race was insanely low. I am an overthinker and I tend to freak myself out with "what if" scenarios. But over the past 6+ months of Customized training, I developed a level of trust in my coach (Chris Twiggs) that let me say "I'm just going to do whatever Chris tells me to do" and stop worrying. On Saturday, when I started to worry about Sunday's heat, he reminded me to follow the plan, which I didn't want to hear but was 100% the right call. He also worked through my new list of "what do I do if's" so that I wasn't trying to make decisions on a foggy runner's brain.

I know that people have issues with the long runs at the end of the Galloway plan (20, 23 and 26 milers), but I went slow as recommended and was 100% recovered within a day or two on the 20 and 23 milers. The 26 took a couple additional days, but the confidence that it gave me on Sunday was worth it. When I started to hit the wall around mile 22, I told myself "it'll be fine, you've done this once before," which was the boost that I needed at that moment.

I struggled - A LOT - with my training plan decision, but looking back, I know that I made the right decision.
I did Customized as well and echo your experience. The heat and fatigue really hit at the end of the marathon, but I knew I would be able to get through. And I did!

I'm days late posting so I'll keep it short.

Summary...I had a blast and will be back next year!

This was my third marathon weekend. Last year I ran the full and my DD ran the 10K; this year we both ran the half. It was her first half so her goal was to stop for every character photo she could. I ended up running ahead of her and texting the characters.

Looking back at my texts, I need to study up on who's who! Examples I sent her included Mickey or Minnie in a pantsuit at the Hall of Presidents, maybe Balloo at 10K, a princess? at 7.0, evil witch of some sort at 7.7, Genie or maybe Jafar at 8.8, Pink bear of some sort at 11.8, and Raccoon at 12.2.

I really enjoyed both the Hurricane Hanna meetup and the DATW. It is always fun to both catch up with folks I have met at previous races and to associate live people with screen names of folks I am meeting for the first time.

Here's a pic of my DD with her twin

2023-01-07 - runDisney Walt Disney World - runDisney.jpeg

I've been struggling to process this weekend, partially because it just felt different, but also because my mom arrived Sunday afternoon and I spent Monday taking her around to 3 parks. It was fun to show her everything (previous visit probably 30 years ago), but between that and heading straight to my grandfather's for a visit I feel kind of out of the "running mindset." It's been nice to read about all the different experiences, and overall mine was good. I got what I wanted- no stops and no injuries, and a time below the most recent POT cutoff that I can use for next year. I just didn't enjoy it the same as previous years (and I really have enjoyed running the marathon distance), but I kind of expected that from my recent increase in (arthritic) knee pain. I didn't expect the foot issues though- I had loosened my shoes a few weeks ago and I guess it caught up to me somewhere around mile 16 when they started sliding around. I spent the last 5 or so trying not to step completely out of my left shoe as I ran, which definitely affected my gait. I ended up with blisters, which is new for me, but luckily nothing worse. The biggest bummer is that I was actually relieved in some ways to exit MK and AK, as it was distracting to run through them and I was able to disassociate more on the highways and just be in my own head and pain. That's the opposite of how it should be! A highlight though was running through the castle solo- still amazed the timing/spacing worked out for that to happen. I loved the 90s theming (though a little meh on the actual merch), and loooooved the additional levels of creativity in costumes it brought out. I'm definitely in for the 10k and full next year, and now that I have Club RunDisney registration advantages I'm trying to see if I can make another race weekend (or four :-) ) fit in my budget. Since I don't stop for photos during the runs I was really sad not to have Mickey and Minnie pre/post races, but I think I got the best character pic when I met Waffles at the finish :-)

AA9A22B2-1E59-4F2C-80C8-1D423D6D2C20.jpeg

Since I don't stop for photos during the runs I was really sad not to have Mickey and Minnie pre/post races
Agreed! If they're the mascots for the full, why weren't they available for pictures? I didn't really think about it at the time but when I got home my kids asked if I saw Mickey and Minnie - and I never did...

Agreed! If they're the mascots for the full, why weren't they available for pictures? I didn't really think about it at the time but when I got home my kids asked if I saw Mickey and Minnie - and I never did...

It seemed to be a conscious decision by rD NOT to put the mascots on the course for each race. Pluto was out for other distances, but not the 5K. Same for Chip & Dale, Donald & Daisy and Mickey & Minnie. I suspect it was to keep those lines manageable on the course. Though they did have Dopey at mile 12 of the marathon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter