Marathon Weekend 2023

Just out of pure curiosity, does anybody have any pictures of the MW shirts? I've started seeing videos on YouTube of the races and they all look so nice!

Just out of pure curiosity, does anybody have any pictures of the MW shirts? I've started seeing videos on YouTube of the races and they all look so nice!
They are long sleeved and I LOVE them, I love the bright colors for running and they are so soft and comfy. They're pretty cheaply made and I have a feeling they will fall apart but since I have 6 of them, I figure I'll get quite a few wears between them all.

Attachments

• IMG_3473.JPG
    IMG_3473.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 21
SAFD…. I didn't even run but I’ll play! But… I’m not sure what they played!

Waterfall by TLC because we used to very dramatically sing this song during cross country runs in High School

Wannabe by the Spice Girls- could this BE anymore 90s?

Runaway Train by Soul Aslyum because I like it but is not exactly peppy haha

It’s All Coming Back to me Now by Celine Dion…. I guess I lIke dramatic ballads. Can anyone not sing the “baby, baby, baby” part

Maryjanes Last Dance by Tom Petty because it reminds me of middle school and thinking we were so clever for understanding Mary Jane. And it’d just be fun y to hear that on a Disney run!

SAFD: I heard Baby Baby by Amy Grant, Love Shack and The Spice Girls so much in the start area, that I'm kinda done with those songs. Then I heard things like Sweet Child of Mine (1987), Dancing Queen (1976), and Walk This Way (1975), and a bunch of other songs which were clearly not 90's music.

Just even shoving music from The Disney Renaissance would've been an improvement.

This was my 4th WDW Half and I think it’s my favorite one so far. Big thanks to everyone in this thread for all their tips and wisdom. My time was a little slower than last year because I did change costumes on course for the last couple miles hahaha. Won't plan to do that again (especially since I was traveling alone and didn't have anyone to hand my costume off to.) But it was fun to run as my two favorite leading men from 90’s Disney movies. I’m thinking maybe next year I’ll try to add a 10K to the Half… not ready to try the full Marathon or Dopey yet.

I carried my camera along and captured the highlights of the course. Mainly the characters, and the parks. If you want to relive any of the course here it is:

Once again thanks to everyone for calming my fears whether about the expo, course layout, or anything else race related. Hopefully I'll see you guys in 2024.
A full marathon is a lot, but has to be done for a Goofy or Dopey (I know, Capt Obvious here....). And both the Goofy and the Dopey are so worth it. Train up and do it.

FWIW, I'm all for the race costuming, but for the full marathon, I'd say keep it on the light side. If, like some here, you can hand off part of your costume after the MK, go for it. But after the sun comes up and it gets warm, a costume will be less than fun for the last 9 or 10 miles. Just my 2-bits worth.

SAFD: I heard Baby Baby by Amy Grant, Love Shack and The Spice Girls so much in the start area, that I'm kinda done with those songs. Then I heard things like Sweet Child of Mine (1987), Dancing Queen (1976), and Walk This Way (1975), and a bunch of other songs which were clearly not 90's music.

Just even shoving music from The Disney Renaissance would've been an improvement.
I just heard "Life is a highway" at a burger joint tonight, giving me a flashback to last year. I don't know how many times I heard that in the start area and on the course.

Well, a week later, time for my recap. A great trip overall, although a bit stressful with DW and I doing Dopey and hitting the parks with 5 kids. But, we made it. My 5th Dopey and 12th Marathon. Her 2nd Dopey and 11th Marathon. DS11 did the 5k with us. Had a blast with him.

Lots to recap, but here are the major parts of the marathon weekend for us.
-I thought the combination of music was random. I was a bit over most of the songs after 4 days. After the 5k, I mentioned that just playing random 90s pop songs does not give a theme to your race. Two songs I would love to hear were "Go the Distance" and "I'll Make a Man out of You". Heard the first once. Never heard the latter. Maybe its not considered appropriate anymore?
-I didn't love the 90s theme for shirts. I feel like the 10k, half, and full shirts are such a similar color. And, lots of costumes on course were 80s themed. I think several people were wearing clothes from Flashdance.
-We were surprised to be in Corral A instread of B, but were happy to be there.
-Stopped quickly by the Dis meet up on Sunday morning, but quickly headed to the corrals.
-This was the first marathon that we didn't care about time at all. We have stopped for pictures in the past, but always had a bit of a time goal in the back of our head. Nothing this time. We stopped for somewhere between 20 and 30 bathroom stops. No exaggeration. We literally stopped both coming in and out of BB lot. Both in DHS and at Skyliner afterwards.
-Stopped for 21 character pics, plus 10 other spots. Had a 5+ minute stop outside DHS to see the kids. I asked if they had a phone charger, as I was running low on battery. So, I ran to my parents car in the lot to get it for the last couple of miles.
-Loved seeing the final start group go off while passing mile 4. We were able to get a pic with John Pelkey and Carrissa Galloway. I have always enjoyed him. Brings a great balance of self-deprecation and excitement for the accomplishment.
-Adventurer's Club being back on Bear Island Road is always a highlight for me. Kungaloosh!
-Stopped in Club Cool for a mile 25 soda. But, definitely not for Beverly...
-Didn't need 4 character stops in the first two miles. Wish they would have moved 3 of those to the part between AK and BB.
-I really love the first 18 miles, including the early 4 mile Epcot loop. Just wish something better was at mile 20.
-Overall, really proud of DW. She has been stressed about this, as this was the first long run since kid #5. So, her body doesn't respond the way it used to. She started to struggle about mile 9, with a tearful mile. But, after that point, she was amazing.
-I felt good after this run. I think every marathon gets easier in terms of this. Plus, the more relaxed time probably helped. I could have run Monday if we weren't in a park.

Thanks to all on this board for the great comraderie throughout the year.
Hats off and big congrats to you and your wife!

Waterfall by TLC because we used to very dramatically sing this song during cross country runs in High School
Love this throwback! I used to be able to recite the entire thing. I think the first cassette single I ever bought was TLC.

I realize Sundays are for Disney has migrated to the 2024 thread, but I thought maybe there was time for one last completely fun and frivolous query as this thread begins to wind down.

To that end, there was some discussion over the soundtrack for the weekend (and it’s somewhat limited scope); what are 5 90’s songs you would have added to the Disney playlist to enhance your 90’s weekend? Doesn’t have to be Disney and no wrong answers.

SAFD: (in no particular order)

Always Be My Baby-Mariah Carey-Always felt like kind of the quintessential 90’s pop song to me.

To Love You More-Celine Dion-My 90’s need Celine and this is my personal fave.

Drain You-Nirvana-Once again, my 90’s need Nirvana and once again picking a personal fave over larger songs.

Zombie-The Cranberries-Although not necessarily germane to the actual meaning of the song I think it is very fitting for my look on the course and finishing form. Plus, it’s a great song.

To Think of You is to Treasure an Absent Memory-Zao-It’s unlikely anyone else here has heard this song, it’s relatively obscure metal, but it’s my favorite song and it would be completely bizarre and fun to hear it over speakers at a Disney race.

No big deal if no one wants to join in. Just had a bit of a laugh thinking of all the 90’s songs I didn’t hear over the weekend and thought it might be fun for others.
Love this! So many Mariah 90s memories!

I had one AirPod in all weekend with peloton 90’s classes as background noise so I’m a bit clouded in what was played on course and what I was hearing from the classes. I started 1990 as a fresh 5 year old and ended the decade (literally, Dec 31) as a 15yo. All the music from the 90’s brings back so many memories. I love it all.

SAFD: I like this game - here are 5 from one of my running playlists:

Green Day - Welcome to Paradise
Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench
The Offspring- Come out and Play
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Around the World (for the marathon!)
Beastie Boys - Intergalactic (“I run the marathon to the very last mile”).

As for one of my favorites that I heard (only once) even though it’s technically 1989 and it’s because of Wednesday- Goo Goo Muck by the Cramps.

Yes, I know - a very Gen-X playlist..:.

I realize Sundays are for Disney has migrated to the 2024 thread, but I thought maybe there was time for one last completely fun and frivolous query as this thread begins to wind down.

To that end, there was some discussion over the soundtrack for the weekend (and it’s somewhat limited scope); what are 5 90’s songs you would have added to the Disney playlist to enhance your 90’s weekend? Doesn’t have to be Disney and no wrong answers.

SAFD: (in no particular order)

Always Be My Baby-Mariah Carey-Always felt like kind of the quintessential 90’s pop song to me.

To Love You More-Celine Dion-My 90’s need Celine and this is my personal fave.

Drain You-Nirvana-Once again, my 90’s need Nirvana and once again picking a personal fave over larger songs.

Zombie-The Cranberries-Although not necessarily germane to the actual meaning of the song I think it is very fitting for my look on the course and finishing form. Plus, it’s a great song.

To Think of You is to Treasure an Absent Memory-Zao-It’s unlikely anyone else here has heard this song, it’s relatively obscure metal, but it’s my favorite song and it would be completely bizarre and fun to hear it over speakers at a Disney race.

No big deal if no one wants to join in. Just had a bit of a laugh thinking of all the 90’s songs I didn’t hear over the weekend and thought it might be fun for others.
Trick question. For me, I quit listening to new music around 1990 and would be hard pressed to name many 90's tunes. (The wife and I play music bingo weekly. I have few misses from 1950 to 1989, but find that I know few in the 90's and later.) Yes, I'm a dinosaur, as my wife and kids frequently tell me....

SAFD: I like this game - here are 5 from one of my running playlists:

Green Day - Welcome to Paradise
Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench
The Offspring- Come out and Play
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Around the World (for the marathon!)
Beastie Boys - Intergalactic (“I run the marathon to the very last mile”).

As for one of my favorites that I heard (only once) even though it’s technically 1989 and it’s because of Wednesday- Goo Goo Muck by the Cramps.

Not sure it’s a very Gen-X playlist. As an elder millennial I fully support that list of songs.

Not sure it’s a very Gen-X playlist. As an elder millennial I fully support that list of songs.

According to Pew Research:
Born 1965-1980 = Gen X
Born 1981-1996 = Millennial

I'm a tail-end of 1970 baby and those 90s songs were all during college and early adulthood when I was still listening to new music. I'm happy to claim more content for the "forgotten generation", but I tend to lean more to 1980s tunes (when I was a tween and teen) as a true Gen X playlist.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

According to Pew Research:
Born 1965-1980 = Gen X
Born 1981-1996 = Millennial

I'm a tail-end of 1970 baby and those 90s songs were all during college and early adulthood when I was still listening to new music. I'm happy to claim more content for the "forgotten generation", but I tend to lean more to 1980s tunes (when I was a tween and teen) as a true Gen X playlist.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.
I’m not a Millennial!! I hate that they say it starts in ‘81 (and I have seen this elsewhere). It just seems so dis-jointed. I was born in ‘82. I prefer the in-betweeners. 🤣 -Grew up in the analog world, but still young enough when the internet made a real appearance to grow up and learn the digital world early on (junior high-ish).
And I’m probably a little bit more of an oddball, because we had a rotary dial phone and were on a party line until I was at least in junior high, if not high school.

I’m loving all these 90s songs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter