Marathon Weekend 2023

The PP girl that was there this morning was doing a GREAT job with her pics. Multiple poses, helping arrange your medals and make sure that the spinner on dopey was up in the right position, etc.

Ahh I wonder if that's it then. I'm still here now, a couple hours later, and that one PP person is still mobbed with a line of runners all along the inside of the garden area.

Thanks to everyone that participated in this thread! I started lurking weeks ago as the race got closer and needed more of a "fix". Very happy I completed my first marathon this Sunday!

My wife and I have had a curious question. Does anyone know how many people DNF each year? The results show number of finishers but don't list a number of how many people crossed the start.
In the 2024 thread @DopeyBadger posted the finish rates of recent races, it was 79 percent this year and generally runs between 70-80 percent. To be clear I believe that’s of all bibs, if that’s the case it would be including DNF and DNS.

In the 2024 thread @DopeyBadger posted the finish rates of recent races, it was 79 percent this year and generally runs between 70-80 percent. To be clear I believe that’s of all bibs, if that’s the case it would be including DNF and DNS.

Thanks to everyone that participated in this thread! I started lurking weeks ago as the race got closer and needed more of a "fix". Very happy I completed my first marathon this Sunday!

My wife and I have had a curious question. Does anyone know how many people DNF each year? The results show number of finishers but don't list a number of how many people crossed the start.

Some years ago a DIS member who no longer posts was able to access some data on number of DNFs. My recollection was that it was usually something like 400-600 runners at the most. Far far less than the 70-80% bib finisher number may suggest. The larger number of missing bibs from crossing the finish are from “Did not start” runners based on that old data.

If anyone doesn’t mind sharing some more creative medal photos, I’d love some ideas. We’ll be heading to MK tomorrow morning, and I’m hoping to get some good photos. I really like the railing one.
Also getting my ear hat embroidered, since I didn’t have the energy to wait for it last night.

If anyone doesn’t mind sharing some more creative medal photos, I’d love some ideas. We’ll be heading to MK tomorrow morning, and I’m hoping to get some good photos. I really like the railing one.
Also getting my ear hat embroidered, since I didn’t have the energy to wait for it last night.

How long was the wait for hat embroidery yesterday?

After being devastated last year when I got knocked down and had to pull myself out of the marathon, I came back for redemption and finished my 2nd full Dopey! The first 20 miles went really well, keeping a solid (for me) pace, then it started to get really, really hot, really, really quickly, around 10-11am or so. The sun was just beating down on me. So the last 6.2 went very slow, but I still made it! I was a nervous wreck yesterday morning, felt like I had more pressure to finish since I didn't last year, and also the half felt unusually hard for me even though I took it very slow. I had a complete breakdown when I crossed that finish line. Thankful for one of the medical ladies that came over to check on me and console me as I sobbed.

I’m trying to catch up but running out of time, and I haven’t cried at all this weekend until starting to read so many of your success stories! I’m so happy for and proud of you all!!!

I’ll come back when I have more time to say and read more, but wanted to share this: I did it. I actually managed to finish the marathon. It still doesn’t feel real, and I feel like I pulled off some kind of heist, lol! It was not easy, but it also wasn’t as bad as expected, in some weird way. I was in a ton of pain Sun night and this morning, but it’s gotten better through the day. V 1, unspecified autoimmune disease 0.

I’m trying to catch up but running out of time, and I haven’t cried at all this weekend until starting to read so many of your success stories! I’m so happy for and proud of you all!!!

I’ll come back when I have more time to say and read more, but wanted to share this: I did it. I actually managed to finish the marathon. It still doesn’t feel real, and I feel like I pulled off some kind of heist, lol! It was not easy, but it also wasn’t as bad as expected, in some weird way. I was in a ton of pain Sun night and this morning, but it’s gotten better through the day. V 1, unspecified autoimmune disease 0.
Congrats!

Hard to believe MW is already over. Was great finally geeting to meet folks in person and appreciate how wecoming this group is! Wish I could have stayed longer at DATW today but alas reality intervened and had to come back early for work. Going into the marathon yesterday I was thinking I would skip next year and maybe give a different race weekend a try, but now I can't imagine missing the fun. Plus I need to make it to more than 2 countries for it to qualify as DATW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter