Marathon Weekend 2021

SAFD: I treat myself by staying on-site. That usually means Pop Century for marathon weekend these days for the transportation convenience due to its location. While it’s not a luxury hotel, it’s definitely not cheap anymore thanks to the Skyliner. I brought up the possibility of staying off-site the last couple of years to save money, but my bf, who isn’t into WDW to nearly the same degree, is adamant about staying on-site. It’s a treat for us to not have to worry about driving.
I’ll be staying at Pop Century for marathon weekend as well. My first stay was there last January for a gymnastics meet trip. Loved the Skyliner!

I’ll be staying at Pop Century for marathon weekend as well. My first stay was there last January for a gymnastics meet trip. Loved the Skyliner!

I stayed at Pop for this year's MW. I got in on the group rate which made it much more affordable. Speaking of which, since I haven't seen Keels around in a long time, anyone else have the inside info on how to arrange a group rate?

Ok. My splurge is staying at a Poly Studio!! I have always wanted to stay at the Poly, it was the same rate as Kidani. And I have a lot more food options there with the monorail resorts than only Sanaa at Kidani.

I don’t tend to carbo load, I have found this leads to stomach issues for me. I do eat a bigger lunch and lighter dinner pre-marathon. I try to go light on proteins pre-race. However, I do like to make up for it after the race! Celebratory meals are usually at Ohana or Boma. When I am going solo though I tend to avoid sit down restaurants and pick something I feel comfortable as a solo eater. I have to admit feeling a little awkward going to a sit down alone. It is a me issue.

I missed out on the EE ride in 2019 and the margarita at the end, both where because of the wait. I will get the margarita this time 😁

but just like then, I want to have fun, enjoy the atmosphere, go to the meet ups.

SAFD: I would say one of the "parties" is our usual treat. We have made (until this year I guess) an annual tradition of doing a group family costume for Mickey's Not So Scary (last year was Meet the Robinsons). During other times of the year, we would splurge on a fireworks dessert party.

Interesting thoughts on solo trips. I have only gone sole once for MW weekend several years ago and couldn't get over the feeling I was cheating on my family. Enjoyed it, but definitely felt weird. Will be solo again this year so maybe it will feel different this time around.

We’ve had some amazing meals there, including NYE a few times and Thanksgiving. And yes, they did work the traditional elements into the tasting menu. :)

It's been a few years since we've gone. I'm thinking a return visit may be in order the next time we go.

Interesting thoughts on solo trips. I have only gone sole once for MW weekend several years ago and couldn't get over the feeling I was cheating on my family. Enjoyed it, but definitely felt weird. Will be solo again this year so maybe it will feel different this time around.

Have you done a race weekend with family for comparison? DW has come with me for a couple of race weekends, even running the inaugural SWDS 5k for one of them. She finds race weekend trips unsatisfying, as she either feels like she can’t do what she wants to in the evenings due to my need to get up early. Then she feels like she’s in the way of me trying to get ready while not disturbing her sleep on race mornings. We’ve decided that race weekends should be solo trips, as a result, and we take separate trips together on non-race weekends when we can better enjoy things together.

Have you done a race weekend with family for comparison? DW has come with me for a couple of race weekends, even running the inaugural SWDS 5k for one of them. She finds race weekend trips unsatisfying, as she either feels like she can’t do what she wants to in the evenings due to my need to get up early. Then she feels like she’s in the way of me trying to get ready while not disturbing her sleep on race mornings. We’ve decided that race weekends should be solo trips, as a result, and we take separate trips together on non-race weekends when we can better enjoy things together.
No you're right about all of this, especially waking them up at o'dark thirty when I have to get ready. Of my 6 marathon weekends, the family has been with me for 5 of them. While they support me in spirit, we stopped after the first two trying to plan the trip around my race or them trying to see me on course (which was no fun for the younger kids). Now my wife plans like she normally would and knows I will join in when/where I can on park time, etc. (although we do plan dinners earlier since I have to go to bed so early). We just all love our trips to the World together so it feels strange to leave them out. My DW is fully supportive of me going solo so she doesn't have to get woken up, etc. (and we are fortunate to go enough she knows she will go some other time anyway), it's just me that feels weird.

A lot of people talked about food, me included. I guess I want to know where do you guys go for your "carb up" meal the night before the big race, and what's your "celebration meal" after all the running is done?

My diet is basically a never-ending carbo load, so I don't shift much up. I just try to make sure I'm not eating anything that might be upsetting to my stomach within 24 hours of a big race.

Unsurprisingly, there are a lot less direct flights than in the past. I seem to recall there were always 3 from Philly to MCO, now there's only 1.

My direct options were an early morning or a night flight. I decided to be a responsible adult and take the late night so I could help with the kids one more day (my husband is driving down with them to meet me when I'm done racing). Thankfully Southwest makes it easy to switch, so if I get closer and have everything in order I can switch to the morning flight!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter