• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2021

SAFD: what @jmasgat said! We have done countless trips to WDW as a family, and I have loved those trips and all the memories we have made BUT getting to go solo for MW and just be on my own at Disney for a few days feels so indulgent! Ride whatever I want, eat whenever and whereever I want, go to bed when I want, spend as much time in the shops as I want...can't wait for January!

SAFD:

I do like the food at Disney, especially the resort signatures. So I try to make dinner on Marathon Sunday something special. We've done V&A and The Intimate Dining Experience at The Grand Floridian. I still want to try places outside of The Bubble like Highball and Harvest as well as Kadence.

CG brunch is always a favorite, but it's hard because of the marathon during their brunch hours. I hope to be able to go to Jiko in January.

I also love the tours. They give gm so much insight to the parks, things you don't normally see. I still want to do Undiscovered Future World when they reopen.

SAFD: Agree with those who say going to WDW is the treat. But I think my main ones lately have been
1) Minnie Vans...especially from expo to a park or at the end of a night. I budget 2-3 into my trips so I don't feel too guilty about it.
2) One "never done it before" signature dining thing.
3) A mug....seems little but I already have so many mugs that even one more is an un-needed thing in my life but I can't stop myself

A lot of people talked about food, me included. I guess I want to know where do you guys go for your "carb up" meal the night before the big race, and what's your "celebration meal" after all the running is done?
I tend to like my big meal at lunch the day before - especially for Disney’s early start races.
My go to for a normal race is pancakes and eggs.
I’m trying to remember what I use at Disney... I think I tend to do Liberty Tree Tavern - stuffing, bread, mac-n-cheese... -lots of carbs... I will also use it as a celebratory meal. I also like the Boathouse after a race. After Dopey one year, their hamburger (I know not too adventurous), just hit the spot! So I’ve repeated that a few times.

A lot of people talked about food, me included. I guess I want to know where do you guys go for your "carb up" meal the night before the big race, and what's your "celebration meal" after all the running is done?

I don't do well with major carb loads night before races so I tend to go for a good lunch and a light dinner (kids meal size usually.) So I find somewhere with grilled chicken for lunch and then usually chicken nuggets for dinner.
My celebration meal last marathon weekend was Tokyo Dining and it was amazing! The sushi chef ran the half & marathon so we had a ton of fun and ate too much.

I can’t do a major carb load the night before. Too much too late in the game. I find adding more carbs during the 2-3 day’s before the race and then a really hearty pancake breakfast on Saturday gets me all the carbs I need. Dinner on Saturday is usually miso soup, sashimi, and some sushi at Kimonos or Epcot. Simple light proteins.

Sunday celebration meals are at Jiko, California Grill, Jaleo, or someplace similar. We also spend Tuesday evening at Victoria & Albert's because we go every time we’re back in Florida.

Just regular food, nothing too nuts the night before. I have done pasta meals, grilled chicken sandwiches, once even a kid's meal of roast turkey and mashed potatoes.

After the fact, I tend to go for the celebratory chocolate shake. Not a huge fan of Disney sit-down restaurants as I think they are overpriced (even for Disney) and have gotten increasingly homogenized. I do like Sanaa, and good things can also be found at Boma. At some point I should cough up for V&A, but since I go solo, it seems a little weird.

Last edited:

I just eat normal. I have found that pastas (gluten-free now but applied to pre-wheat allergy diagnosis regular) and sauces I am not used to do not always agree with my stomach, so I am better off avoiding them.

I basically stick as close to my normal eating pattern and routine as possible. I have never been a believer in the “OMG MUST CARB LOAD” mindset and I have done fine without porking out on heaps of pasta and bread.

SAFD: we don't go to Disney incredibly often (once every 2-4 years), so for the last three family trips, I splurged on club level service at a deluxe resort. Don't get me wrong, it is a horrible value for what you get, but it is so dang convenient (breakfast, snacks, water bottles to go, concierge, evening drinks, etc.), and you are usually on a restricted-access floor, so it is fairly quiet.

Since I run with Team In Training, they host a big team rally/inspiration dinner the night before the half marathon, so I'm running the half, that's my meal - pretty standard stuff: wheat pasta (I usually go for the pesto sauce), grilled chicken, and a brownie (or 4). The dinner is usually "late" (around 6 or so) so I have a bigger lunch that day instead, and it tends to be things that are white - chicken fingers, french fries, etc.

For the years I ran the full and/or Dopey, my night before meal was usually at 4 p.m. (LOL) and always at the Grand Floridian Cafe. They used to have a pesto pasta and chicken dish that was amazing. Now its whatever grilled chicken option is on the menu.

My celebration meal has varied! I've done Big River Brewing, Chefs de France, Cali Grill brunch, Cali Grill dinner... Cali Grill brunch may have been my favorite so far, but obv not great for full marathoners because of the timing. This year, the plan is just to eat our way around Epcot!

We tend to the pasta/pizza meal on Thursday or Friday night. With the challenges going - we almost always do Filet or Ribeye with Potatoes on Saturday at Yachtsman or similar. My husband sometimes has iron issues and we like the red meat to help avoid it. Celebratory dinners depends on the race weekend and if we are driving home immediately afterwards or not. In Disneyland, it was always Napa Rose.

I think the main thing is to not do things different than how you would eat at home. Stick to things you know how your body reacts to well.

I think the main thing is to not do things different than how you would eat at home. Stick to things you know how your body reacts to well.

This! Which is why as I mentioned earlier, I typically won’t do gluten-free pasta anywhere because I either know my stomach doesn’t like that sauce or I do not trust my stomach to cooperate with an unfamiliar sauce.

NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY!!! I usually stay somewhere with a kitchen so I can make my own pre-race dinners. No carb-loading for me: a lean protein like chicken breast, fish or eggs; some complex carbs in the form of brown rice, potatoes, bread; and vegetables. Post-races, I do a group dinner with my running friends - no special location and we change it up every year, but at some point I did insist on no more buffets. I want my dinner to come to me, not the reverse, after running 48.6 miles lol!

SAFD: I treat myself by staying on-site. That usually means Pop Century for marathon weekend these days for the transportation convenience due to its location. While it’s not a luxury hotel, it’s definitely not cheap anymore thanks to the Skyliner. I brought up the possibility of staying off-site the last couple of years to save money, but my bf, who isn’t into WDW to nearly the same degree, is adamant about staying on-site. It’s a treat for us to not have to worry about driving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter