Marathon Weekend 2021

4. RnRC - Another family favorite (funny that DD will ride that but not TOT :rolleyes:).

Same with my nephew. He loves RnRC and Everest but we can’t get him near ToT. For him it’s the name, theme and the fact you can hear people screaming as you’re coming up to it. They all combine to make it seem very scary.

I think if it was called, say, Mission Breakout and themed around, oh I don’t know, maybe Guardians of the Galaxy it would probably be one of his favorite rides. (This cannot be verified as none of us has been to DL)

Same with my nephew. He loves RnRC and Everest but we can’t get him near ToT. For him it’s the name, theme and the fact you can hear people screaming as you’re coming up to it. They all combine to make it seem very scary.

I think if it was called, say, Mission Breakout and themed around, oh I don’t know, maybe Guardians of the Galaxy it would probably be one of his favorite rides. (This cannot be verified as none of us has been to DL)

Same! We have never been to Disneyland either, and if we do go, I'm not telling her it's like TOT because she would definitely ride anything GOG themed.

5. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, may it RIP. I don't have a lot of memories from my first trip in the 70s, but I will never forget my late father and I laughing like crazy as he yelled out, "Oh no, we went to HELL!!!!"
In 2017 I went to Disneyland for the first time with my housemate, who had grown up visiting Disneyland every few years. We loved it when one of us was in the "driver" seat on a ride so the other one could yell about the bad driving. We had an absolute blast on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, and it makes me wish I could have experienced the WDW version.
"We're in hell!"
"It's fine! It's going to be fine!"
"That's a dRAGON!"
"Okay it could be better--"

It's probably the "mom" in me. I think it's so much more fun side by side so I can hold my scared kiddos tight!
:confused3:laughing:
It makes sense to me. Even though Galaxy's Edge is virtually identical in both Disneyland and Disney World, it's the time spent with my nephews in Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland that create the fond memories.

SAFD:
I think you knew your audience and how difficult you made the question. We are too invested in Disney to pick just one!

If I have to give one answer can I say all the attractions? :p No matter what it is, you are in Disney. That makes every attraction special.

But if iis just one., and it pains me to pick just one, it has to be Rise of The Resistance right now. AMAZING.

I reserve the right to change my mind like the wind.

SAFD:
Tower of Terror is easily my absolute favorite.

During my first trip to WDW, my Dad and I rode it 4x together- it was a little scary and absolutely thrilling... I couldn’t get enough! I remember the boiler room seeming so scary. My mom and sister didn’t love the drop, so I’m thankful my dad was such a sport to go so many times with me- such a great memory!

During my husband’s first trip, the ride broke down right before the drop and we got evacuated, which I loved. It was so cool to see the indie with the lights on!

I don’t even know how to round out my top 5...Love all of the MK mountains, Pirates, Kilimanjaro Safari, FoP, Soarin’...

SAFD:
My all time favorite Disney ride is the Matterhorn at DL. SO many childhood memories of getting there at park opening and heading for that big white mountain, debating which side was the best side (right side!), the splash down at the end...pure nostalgia!

And the rest:
2) Haunted Mansion (where hinges creak in doorless chambers...)
3) Toy Story Mania
4) Kilimanjaro Safari
5) Rise of the Resistance - have only done it once, but WOW - made me cry nerd tears!

SAFD: 5) Rise of the Resistance - have only done it once, but WOW - made me cry nerd tears!
In more than a few places, that attraction had me alternating between complete awe and trying to remain upright because my knees felt like they were going to buckle with what I was seeing. I really look forward to the day when I can experience it more than once per day.

Just booked Saratoga Springs for marathon weekend. Since I am probably "only" doing Goofy in 2021 I am not headed to FL by Tuesday like in the past. I'll get there Friday and am planning a much longer post-marathon weekend stay. Hopefully Festival of the Arts begins the weekend after marathon like it has in the past. Being retired from Dopey would make this trip a bit more flexible and it will be kind of nice not having 2 am wake up calls almost every morning of the trip. Also doing the parks post-race weekend should help keep my legs fresher for marathon Sunday. Can you tell I'm trying to talk myself OUT of registering for Dopey again?

Since we are doing a long trip for Wine and Dine in November, we had decided not to do Marathon Weekend 2021. But I had so much fun doing Dopey this year, I am in the process of convincing myself (and others) to come back and at least do the marathon and possibly Goofy in 2021. I just booked Old Key West on DVC points just for the weekend as a placeholder. Let the convincing begin!!

Got news on the DVC rental today--we are Kidani Village-bound! I would have preferred Jambo House but this is still exciting; part of me can't believe I've actually managed to book a deluxe at all.

We're going to arrive on Friday and stay seven nights, since the post-marathon part of the trip is meant to be more or less a regular WDW visit to give my housemate a chance to experience the place for the first time. Part of me is wishing we could stay through the next weekend as well in case Festival of the Arts does start up then, but a stay this length is pretty much at the limit of what each of us can afford right now.

“Proof of time must be provided from an officially timed race on a USATF certified course reflecting results between January 1, 2019 and September 29, 2020”
Thank you for posting this! Last year it was early October, and I did a race a few days before the cutoff. I managed to shave a few minutes off my PR at that race. I was planning on doing that race again to try for a better proof of time. Thanks to you I now know that won't work and can find another flat 10k instead.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars and welcome to another week of Sundays are for Disney!

For this week, I want to know where is your favorite place to grab a drink at WDW? Alcoholic or non-alcoholic. Doesn’t have to be a bar. Extra credit if you tell us what you like to order at said location.

This might be cheating, but after this year I can say with absolute certainty that the best place to drink on property is the finishers area after the races. Nothing tasted better after those toasty races than a cold beer, paired with some gourmet plastic cheese, of course.

In terms of actual bars, it’ll be tough to ever beat the Top of the World lounge. Great atmosphere, incredible views and unbeatable company. Thanks again, Karen!

Have a great week, everyone!

Good morning, runDisney all-stars and welcome to another week of Sundays are for Disney!

For this week, I want to know where is your favorite place to grab a drink at WDW? Alcoholic or non-alcoholic. Doesn’t have to be a bar. Extra credit if you tell us what you like to order at said location.

Three favorites:
A cold beer at Thirsty River during the full
A glass of rosé champagne to start the night at Victoria & Albert's
Pretty much any of the tiki drinks at Trader Sam's

This might be cheating, but after this year I can say with absolute certainty that the best place to drink on property is the finishers area after the races. Nothing tasted better after those toasty races than a cold beer, paired with some gourmet plastic cheese, of course.

Okay, four favorites :)

SAFD:

I am really basic at home. I drink, almost exclusively, Diet Mountain Dew (I’m trash, I know) and water. I’ve never had a drink with alcohol and hate coffee and hot drinks in general (I could drink coffee if I turn it into, essentially, a milkshake; but why?).

All that to say, there’s nothing much special about drinking water or Diet Coke (my Disney Diet Mountain Dew replacement) at any time. I’ve tried a few of the Disney specialty drinks and they are so sugar-forward that I have a hard time enjoying them. The only one I’ve gone back for and thereby my favorite is the Peter Pan float at Storybook Treats in MK.

I also very much enjoyed getting a cherry coke (which I love, but I rarely get sugar soda) in my resort mug and sitting on our little balcony in our room at AKL and watching the savannah.

Mmm, alcohol! You know I love my Disney Booze.

I have different favorites depending on my mood.

Homecoming’s Bourbon Flights are up there.

La Cava’s extensive tequila list keeps us coming back but we won’t go there certain times of the year (like weekends during F&W festival)

Nomad’s is always relaxing and the Snow Leopard or a nice bourbon make me happy.

Splitsville has some nice frozen drinks and shots.

Wine Bar George’s wine list also keeps us happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter