Marathon Weekend 2021

Random question for my fellow runDisney all-stars: I'm moving into my new apartment this week and I'd like to display some of my race medals to make it feel a little more like home. Because it's a rental, I don't want to damage the walls, so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for displaying some medals?

Right now, I don't see myself going the shadow box route. Looking for simple, DIY sort of ideas, but I fully recognize that options might not exist.

This is probably the least helpful suggestion, but my father-in-law used to display his medals on a Christmas tree every year and then put them away. Thought I'd share in case people like that idea.

This is probably the least helpful suggestion, but my father-in-law used to display his medals on a Christmas tree every year and then put them away. Thought I'd share in case people like that idea.
Lurker checking in. While I don't use this method for medals, we do use it for vacation souvenirs.

You see that thing you want, but don't know what you'd do with it? Buy it and make it a tree ornament! You look at it once a year, put it away, and leave it for your heirs to say "WTH were they thinking?"

Space Coast marathon sent around an email to all the participants yesterday outlining what the current guidelines for the race will be.

As discussed already, there will be a rolling start at 6am, with participants being assigned waves to cross the starting line in.

Masks are required before and after the race, with one mask handed out at package pickup and another at the finish line. They are not required while running.

Shuttles from hotels will still be running, but you must wear a mask while riding.

They will still have water stops every two miles, but water and sports drinks will be bottled. No mention of offering gels this year. Food at the finish line will only be prepackaged.

Most interesting to me, you will get your finisher medal during package pickup, not at the finish line.

I can't imagine Disney's guidelines will be too different, but if we get handed our medals at package pickup I might be a bit less motivated to wake up at 3 am to run 26.2 miles!

Has anyone that is running with a charity received their registration link yet? I know our spots are guaranteed but I mostly want to enter my POT and pre-purchase some merch. Someone in one of my Facebook groups had said Disney was pretty optimistic to their charity that Marathon weekend was happening, so I'm staying hopeful!

Space Coast marathon sent around an email to all the participants yesterday outlining what the current guidelines for the race will be.

As discussed already, there will be a rolling start at 6am, with participants being assigned waves to cross the starting line in.

Masks are required before and after the race, with one mask handed out at package pickup and another at the finish line. They are not required while running.

Shuttles from hotels will still be running, but you must wear a mask while riding.

They will still have water stops every two miles, but water and sports drinks will be bottled. No mention of offering gels this year. Food at the finish line will only be prepackaged.

Most interesting to me, you will get your finisher medal during package pickup, not at the finish line.

I can't imagine Disney's guidelines will be too different, but if we get handed our medals at package pickup I might be a bit less motivated to wake up at 3 am to run 26.2 miles!

If it happens those will likely be similar. Though numbers for space coast look real low compared to even our assumed reduced capacity. Looks like 1k for marathon but that is physical and virtual combined. Will be interesting to see how many waves space coast does and how far spread out in time they are.

Handing out challenge medals like dopey and goofy at the expo would be... weird but then what at 2020 hasn't been.

Handing out challenge medals like dopey and goofy at the expo would be... weird but then what at 2020 hasn't been.
I don't know how they could do that. Those medals are reserved for actually completing the challenge. The race medal itself has been given finish or not but challenges you must complete. I would expect something like individually wrapped or laid out on a table type pick up post race. Maybe small boxes like the virtual race medals.

I don't know how they could do that. Those medals are reserved for actually completing the challenge. The race medal itself has been given finish or not but challenges you must complete. I would expect something like individually wrapped or laid out on a table type pick up post race. Maybe small boxes like the virtual race medals.

If we are basing it on space coast they say that they are including their multi-year challenge medals at packet pickup and completing and having an official time are part of their requirements too. Not saying disney is definitely doing the same thing but that is what space coast is doing.

If we are basing it on space coast they say that they are including their multi-year challenge medals at packet pickup and completing and having an official time are part of their requirements too. Not saying disney is definitely doing the same thing but that is what space coast is doing.

View attachment 523794
Right, I am talking Disney. I don't see them doing it that way. Maybe race medals at pick up but I just can't see them doing challenges.

Right, I am talking Disney. I don't see them doing it that way. Maybe race medals at pick up but I just can't see them doing challenges.

If it happens we'll see. Not to start back "that debate" but disney is often more generous with giving out medals then I think they should be so I wouldn't be shocked. Going to be a weird weekend if it happens. Now way around that.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

In honor of Labor Day, this week’s Sundays are for Disney question asks: if you could have any in-park job (no CEO, no media relations, etc), which would you choose? Try to be specific!

My top two would be:
- PhotoPass photographer - either in the hub or World Showcase. Those are my two favorite areas in the park and I love taking photos there. It’d be fun (for a while, at least) capturing the fireworks, happy families and engagements.

- Tour Guide - preferably for an animal kingdom or some kind of behind the scenes tour. Those just both seem like they’d be a blast.

Have a safe and healthy week, everyone!

SAFD:
I was sitting at breakfast with my daughter and asked her, so here are mine and her’s:

Mine - Train conductor! One of my absolute favorite rides has always been the train ride; especially at DL. To ride the train and interact with people all day would be loads of fun!

DD - Concessions cart on Main Street. Get to see lots of people and be in the middle of all the excitement, super fun.

Have a good holiday weekend all!

SAFD: I don’t have anything near the requisite skills for this, I’m probably closer to being qualified to be CEO, but I think it would be fun to be a pastry chef at any of the bakeries.

As for something I might come close to having the requisite qualifications for, um, I’m uncomfortable talking to people, avoid confrontation at all costs, and have resting “insert unpleasant word of choice” face so I’m not sure I’d be ideal for much. Maybe I could be in the control area of one of the rides. I’m pretty sure I could figure out how to push sets of buttons in the right order (or whatever that job requires).

if you could have any in-park job (no CEO, no media relations, etc), which would you choose?
I’m more of a behind the scenes employee (my days working customer service are behind me...) I always thought it would be fun to do what I do now for the parks. I am a Health and Safety Program Manager and have worked with maintenance, security, police and fire departments among others. While my core work would be behind the scenes, there would be plenty of opportunity to get out into the field (the parks) which sounds magical!

If I had to pick a position on stage, I would want to be the CM at IASM at Disneyland who sits in the platform launching the boats. You get to sit in the shade surrounded by amazing topiaries and wave (not talk to) the guests!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter