• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Manhattan Cruise Terminal Ride Share/Taxi

Chirple

DIS Veteran
Hi, we will be taking a cruise out of NYC this month and had some questions about pick up on disembarkation.

Our original game plan was to park at Port Imperial in Weehawken, take the ferry across, and then walk to the cruise terminal; this would have allowed us to have 495/95N or local roads as options for traveling to and from. My husband broke his foot five weeks ago and was cleared last Thursday to switch on and off between his boot and regular footwear (with a footplate insert). He wants to bring his boot on the ship, and it would be too bulky to pack so he most likely will have to wear it. Now we have to take possible rain with the boot into consideration which throws a wrench into our original plan.

If we decide to go with Ride Share, I read older threads where it was recommended to cross 12th Ave. The terminal website indicates taxis are readily available at the terminal; either option is fine, but do you need to cross 12th Ave for Ride Share?

We did express walk off last Thursday and had trouble catching a taxi. Few on hand and they only wanted the airportrides. Then we walked a bit down the road and had one straightaway. When he heard about the cruise, he was like oh good to know Ill jave to avoid the area the rest of the afternoon

We did express walk off last Thursday and had trouble catching a taxi. Few on hand and they only wanted the airportrides. Then we walked a bit down the road and had one straightaway. When he heard about the cruise, he was like oh good to know Ill jave to avoid the area the rest of the afternoon
Thanks! I also asked for recommendations from my family and friends on FB and have two car service options as well.

Native New Yorker here. Where is the cruise terminal? If you know the exact name or address, you can bring it up in Google Maps on your desktop. Click on the icon of a person in the bottom right corner. Then click on the blue lines in the streets a few times until the "Street View" pops up. (There might be an easier way to do this. LOL.) Then you can scroll around with the 360 degrees Google camera view to see where the you need to go and where the Ride Share is and if you think your DH can walk it. 12th Ave (aka the West Side Highway or West St) is about 8-10 traffic lanes across (depending on the section,) with a median in the middle.

When I'm traveling into neighborhoods I don't know, I will use the Google Maps street view to check out the neighborhood and travel along the streets that way to see how safe it is. If one street looks like all old, deserted warehouse buildings or a potential problem getting across a street or intersection, I will pick a different route.
Cruise terminal is in the title thread. We are very familiar with the area having cruised out of NYC in the past, driving in and out either for work or pleasure, and having been the recipient of a moving violation on 12th Ave many years ago because I got stuck in a traffic jam and blocked the box.

Cruise terminal is in the title thread. We are very familiar with the area having cruised out of NYC in the past, driving in and out either for work or pleasure, and having been the recipient of a moving violation on 12th Ave many years ago because I got stuck in a traffic jam and blocked the box.

Sorry for trying to help. There are a FEW cruise terminals along 12th Ave.

Sorry for trying to help. There are a FEW cruise terminals along 12th Ave.
Your post can definitely help others who might do a search for something similar. I was stuck on where a pick up can occur because he can't get the boot wet if it's raining, and all of the posts I found were from at least 4 years ago.

We just disembarked in Manhattan on Thurs. Port staff were directing passengers across the street for taxis and rideshare, but if you tell them you have private transport you just go upstairs in the terminal and get picked up there. You are outside for a moment waiting for the elevator but it's under cover.

We ordered an uber, but instead of saying "uber" or "rideshare" we said the magic words "private transport" and were allowed upstairs. The uber came in 3 minutes. No one stops them from driving up to the terminal. If you used a car service you'd also pick it up there upstairs.

Also, if he wears the boot off, the staff may be more flexible. But just remember the magic words are "private transport" and you'll be ok.

We just disembarked in Manhattan on Thurs. Port staff were directing passengers across the street for taxis and rideshare, but if you tell them you have private transport you just go upstairs in the terminal and get picked up there. You are outside for a moment waiting for the elevator but it's under cover.

We ordered an uber, but instead of saying "uber" or "rideshare" we said the magic words "private transport" and were allowed upstairs. The uber came in 3 minutes. No one stops them from driving up to the terminal. If you used a car service you'd also pick it up there upstairs.

Also, if he wears the boot off, the staff may be more flexible. But just remember the magic words are "private transport" and you'll be ok.
Thanks! This is a great tip!

first time nyc cruiser here- was planning in parking at the terminal/driving to the terminal. any tips/tricks/warnings?

also if anyone is on the 4 day to bermuda itinerary and wouldn't mind posting navigator I'd be super grateful! just wondering when the parties and Sanderson sisters are scheduled for

What terminal did you disembark from? 88 or 90?

first time nyc cruiser here- was planning in parking at the terminal/driving to the terminal. any tips/tricks/warnings?

also if anyone is on the 4 day to bermuda itinerary and wouldn't mind posting navigator I'd be super grateful! just wondering when the parties and Sanderson sisters are scheduled for
We used to drive to the terminal and park. They now allow for reservations, and all of the reserved spots are full for my cruise. In another thread someone contacted the cruise terminal and were told that there might be same-day availability but should arrive when they open at 8 am. Here's where I found the info during a search. https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...da-from-new-york.3928846/page-2#post-65051556

We used to drive to the terminal and park. They now allow for reservations, and all of the reserved spots are full for my cruise. In another thread someone contacted the cruise terminal and were told that there might be same-day availability but should arrive when they open at 8 am. Here's where I found the info during a search. https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...da-from-new-york.3928846/page-2#post-65051556
They have started with reservations but I’ve never heard of it filling up. We parked there during fleet week which took over 88 so we were directed into 90. I would think 10 am would have even more available parking, we usually show up at 9 and parking is easy.

IMG_0866.jpeg
This is the message for my cruise. Also, from this page you can scroll down to check reservation availability for any ship leaving from this terminal. The page also advises when to arrive based on previous cruise paassengers leaving. For us, we would rather rely on car service or ride share since our original plan to use the Port Imperial ferry had to be scrapped. https://nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/parking/

There is a lot of parking at 88 & 92/94.
By 9~10am, folks disembarking from the prior cruise will be leaving their parking spots and they will become available. MCrTerm isn't the only cruise terminal in NY/NJ so not as crowded as one might fear.

Disembarkation occurs during the end of morning rush hour (on M-F's), when taxi's are seeking remunerative UWS => downtown fares. Your/my little run from 50th St to PennSta or TimesSq isn't worth their 1hr wait in the taxi queue. I like the "private transport" move.

I also like the Port Imperial Ferry option, but it's ~10 blocks away along the river walk. Not for everyone.

Last edited:
There is a lot of parking at 88 & 92/94.
By 9~10am, folks disembarking from the prior cruise will be leaving their parking spots and they will become available. MHC isn't the only cruise terminal in NY/NJ so not as crowded as one might fear.

Disembarkation occurs during the end of morning rush hour (on M-F's), when taxi's are seeking remunerative UWS => downtown fares. Your/my little run from 50th St to PennSta or TimesSq isn't worth their 1hr wait in the taxi queue. I like the "private transport" move.

I also like the Port Imperial Ferry option, but it's ~10 blocks away along the river walk. Not for everyone.
*short blocks* 😁 It's definitely not as far as our walk from the cruise terminal to Chelsea Piers and back when our WBTA arrived in NYC a day early in 2017.

What I like about the ferry option is that I can take local roads north if necessary. Our drive up the Westside Hwy and across the GWB puts us in a potential traffic mess once we get to NJ.

*short blocks* 😁 It's definitely not as far as our walk from the cruise terminal to Chelsea Piers and back when our WBTA arrived in NYC a day early in 2017.

What I like about the ferry option is that I can take local roads north if necessary. Our drive up the Westside Hwy and across the GWB puts us in a potential traffic mess once we get to NJ.
Yes, "short blocks" and as far as Manhattan walking is concerned, the Hudson River "Greenway" is not awful but watch the bicycles and your wallet. Of course it depends on your party's mobility and how much luggage you're toting.

Another "trick" wrto the Port Imperial Ferry terminal at 39th/12th Ave is that there are several (free!) loop busses from/to (M-F schedule is more robust than weekends). In our experience, no one cared whether we took the ferry from NJ or not.

https://www.nywaterway.com/UserFiles/Images/2020/Commuters/NYW_Weekday_Peak_Bus_Map.jpg

When you exit the cruise terminal the Taxis are across the street 12th ave. For you to get picked up or dropped off on the upper level - you will need to go up by elevator or stairs- you will need to use private unless you are lucky and someone is getting dropped off. Traffic is usually bad dropping off or picking on the upper level by the ships most want to drop on 12th ave when getting on.... Ride shares in NYC are no longer cheap and can easily be more than a yellow Cab in many cases with surge pricing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter