• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Managing kids costumes in the parks

Mintycake

DIS Veteran
Hoping someone has some advice on this!
So my DD (6) has a few princess costumes that she wants to wear to the park: Elsa, Belle, Ariel. They're all pretty lightweight but the Ariel and Belle ones have some crinoline in them which make them a bit bulky. We're going in December. I just don't know how she's going to manage the park in these so I figure she could change into them when we do M&G (or princess meals). I know she won't want to wear it the whole time and with the weather I'm not even sure that's practical.

So how do you manage this? Do you keep the costume stuffed in a backpack? We won't have a stroller. Are there lockers? Any advice or strategies? (And to make it more interesting, she wants to wear the Belle dress to our Akershus lunch, which is the same day we'll meet A&E and of course for that she wants to wear the Elsa costume.)

There are lockers, but I believe they're at the front of the parks (I may be wrong). I would just use some kind of bag. They don't weigh that much if you carry them with you (albeit kind of a pain). I'm guessing you won't have a stroller that you could put things under?

bring a backpack, we use Jansport Big Student Backpack. My DD 4 hates wearing dresses and costumes because they have tags, or feel like they do even when i cut them out. I bought her the cutest disney store minnie mouse dress and she won't wear it because the arms have elastic and the dress feels 'itchy.'

Hoping someone has some advice on this!
So my DD (6) has a few princess costumes that she wants to wear to the park: Elsa, Belle, Ariel. They're all pretty lightweight but the Ariel and Belle ones have some crinoline in them which make them a bit bulky. We're going in December. I just don't know how she's going to manage the park in these so I figure she could change into them when we do M&G (or princess meals). I know she won't want to wear it the whole time and with the weather I'm not even sure that's practical.

So how do you manage this? Do you keep the costume stuffed in a backpack? We won't have a stroller. Are there lockers? Any advice or strategies? (And to make it more interesting, she wants to wear the Belle dress to our Akershus lunch, which is the same day we'll meet A&E and of course for that she wants to wear the Elsa costume.)

Big ziploc bags. Helps to compress all the extra bulk.

One costume a day. We bring a change of (regular) clothes. Sometimes they want to change out of the costume, sometimes not. Depends on the kid and the weather. To us it is too much wasted time to run back and forth to lockers to make multiple changes and I am way too lazy to drag around extra costumes.

When my DD was younger we did a costume one year. She wanted to dress like Rapunzel. I ended up getting her a Rapunzel t-shirt and had a friend make a tutu to look like the dress. She loved it. It was very cute and easy for her to get out of once she was done doing character meets, she had shorts on under the tutu so all we had to do was take it off. I would say the tricky part if your DD is wearing the full dresses with a crinoline will be bathroom visits. Definitely bring a change of clothes.

In December our DDs had no problem wearing their dresses the whole day, we still had a change of clothes just in case But we also had a stroller (going to hate the first trip without it) so we had plenty of storage for it if they decided to change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter