Major Drop in Quality of Disney CM's

Status
Not open for further replies.
This my OP on the CM . I will start off with saying that Disney has dropped the ball on the magic that made Disney stand out on being exceptional along with extraordinary not just ordinary

Pete is right when it comes to College Program Cast Members. They are the lowest paid employees and a good part of their cheek goes right back to Disney. So Disney does not care about the number of CP’s they hire. Pete Hit the nail on the head with most of the CP’s wants Disney on the resume. What most people don't know these young adults are working over 50 hours + a week. and they are their simply temporary Employees I'm not making excuses for them I'm just putting it out their.

I will say that a lot of the CP's want to make a carrier I think majority of the others is to say they had the experiences of saying I worked at Disney world.

I have seen fair share of bad CM's I have seen many far off bad guest too. I will say that I still find outstanding cast members who make the magic happen. The problem is most people don't see it along with some of the mangers.

I think the real issues are with Disney management and its policies. I think Disney has forgot the front line cast and the vital role they pay especial seeing that Disney is in the hospitably and entertainment business. I think they park needs more full timers and less par timers and they need better pay but this another subject , but It does play a major factor in what some of the real issues are. The truth of the matter is Disney is About the Money and how they can get you to spend it. I think they forgot the core values in with made Disney so extraordinary and that is services form it front line cast members.

It's become the way of the Dis to dismiss and brush off those that had a less-than-stellar experience.

If it didn't happen to them, it didn't happen at all.

I disagree. Have you not read the many, many, FP+ threads full of people that hate it? A large number of those people haven't even experienced it yet.

We all need to go back to disneys roots and all go to Disneyland!

I need to get back there. Last time i visited was 2008.

Hearing great reports about Disneyland.

It's not just the OP. There was another recent thread on the same topic:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3354506

I've been going to WDW for 20 years and have never seen as many cm's with bad attitudes as I did last month. Most cm's? Of course not. But enough to make it noticeable and wonder what's going on.

Ditto here. Whatever the reason may be - decreased training, less full time staff, increased use of the college program, increased crowds, etc., there is a noticeable difference in the professionalism of the CMs. My family has always enjoyed our Disney trips and continue to plan them but the experience is not what it used to be.

You have to skip or put on ignore all these posts that are nasty. I think some people are so used to talking this way in real life they don't realize how derogatory they sound.

This is a good and valid discussion that can help someone with a future trip either with being prepared for what can come up and how it can be handled.

How about all the attacks on those who don't 100% agree with the OP? I'm pretty sick and tired of being dismissed just because I have a different opinion which I have stated politely. I shouldn't then get made fun of, be called a "Disney apologist", be laughed at, or be told I must be "wearing rose colored glasses". Sorry, but my experience is just as true as the experience that the OP had.

And by stating my experience doesn't mean I dismiss when people DO have bad experiences. I am simply letting people know that it is not all CMs and that there is NOT a "Major Drop in Quality of Disney CM's" as a general case.

Once again, nobody with a different opinion was attacked. The only people who were attacked were people who called me a liar, said that I was responsible for my bad service, or that my complaints were invalid.

Calling me a liar doesn't give someone a different opinion, it just makes them an insufferable scrooge.

Ditto here. Whatever the reason may be - decreased training, less full time staff, increased use of the college program, increased crowds, etc., there is a noticeable difference in the professionalism of the CMs. My family has always enjoyed our Disney trips and continue to plan them but the experience is not what it used to be.

This my OP on the CM . I will start off with saying that Disney has dropped the ball on the magic that made Disney stand out on being exceptional along with extraordinary not just ordinary

Pete is right when it comes to College Program Cast Members. They are the lowest paid employees and a good part of their cheek goes right back to Disney. So Disney does not care about the number of CP’s they hire. Pete Hit the nail on the head with most of the CP’s wants Disney on the resume. What most people don't know these young adults are working over 50 hours + a week. and they are their simply temporary Employees I'm not making excuses for them I'm just putting it out their.

I will say that a lot of the CP's want to make a carrier I think majority of the others is to say they had the experiences of saying I worked at Disney world.

I have seen fair share of bad CM's I have seen many far off bad guest too. I will say that I still find outstanding cast members who make the magic happen. The problem is most people don't see it along with some of the mangers.

I think the real issues are with Disney management and its policies. I think Disney has forgot the front line cast and the vital role they pay especial seeing that Disney is in the hospitably and entertainment business. I think they park needs more full timers and less par timers and they need better pay but this another subject , but It does play a major factor in what some of the real issues are. The truth of the matter is Disney is About the Money and how they can get you to spend it. I think they forgot the core values in with made Disney so extraordinary and that is services form it front line cast members.

I've been going to WDW for 20 years and have never seen as many cm's with bad attitudes as I did last month. Most cm's? Of course not. But enough to make it noticeable and wonder what's going on.

It was the amount of incorrect information given out by cast members that annoyed me on my recent trip. At HS I overheard a cm being asked what time the park closed and they gave the wrong time and were corrected by another guest. Also a similar thing when none of them seemed to know about an added Fantasmic show which was clearly advertised as you entered the park.

Three times (once at City Hall and twice to character attendants) I asked if a specific character would be out that day, was told no and then low and behold they were, one was even being handled by the attendant I had asked a few hours previously! The icing on the cake that day was she then wouldn't let us in line as it was closed. I realise they have to stick to this but after her mistake earlier it would have been nice to make an allowance under the circumstances. I wouldn't have been more than a minute. Great birthday that was! Honestly if I didn't read the DIS and just listened to CM's I wouldn't have a clue!

Sad to say I've felt it too :sad2: Wish it weren't so last 2 trips I had hoped it was just a fluke but it happened again and lets see if they can redeem themselves? I hope so for Disney's sake :grouphug:

Guess I wasn't the only one who noticed the drop in the quality of CMs.

Sad to report that I noticed a significant attitude amongst the Disney CM's on my recent trip. I don't want to come down too hard on them because they don't make a ton of money but man, the magic is gone folks. They seem more intent on bossing people around and barking orders than trying to make one's trip truly magical.

My hotel stay didn't start off well. I had called several times before the trip to ensure that our room was 2 queens and a day bed like we get every year and we were told, "Yes sir of course" each time. Then we get there and they say, "Oh sorry sir, we're all out of those rooms" (this was at 11am). And then I say okay fine, I'll going to need a cot then. And they try to charge me for it, hahaha, I just about lost it 1 hour into the trip. Luckily cooler heads prevailed and I restrained myself, got the cot for free. However, end of the trip at checkout, they did mysteriously try to charge me $120 for the cot which I had to argue about and finally get the charge dismissed.

A lot of my dining experiences were pretty delicious but then I experienced some awful service at Le Celier. I ordered a soup, waitress forgot it. I ran out of coke, it took the waitress 10 minutes to even stop by the table again so I ask for a refill. My mom wanted mashed potatoes with her steak instead of the risotto, waitress said nope but that my mom could buy a side. Then the kicker was I was halfway through my steak and the waitress came by and asked me "if I wanted to box up the rest and if I was ready for dessert."

I noticed a lot of really bad, bad attitudes by the ride attendants. Almost as if they were working at Six Flags not realizing they were actually employed by Disney World. Has anyone else noticed that there now seems to be a Disney CM anywhere and everywhere bossing people around? Even the most basic attractions. Pretty soon they're going to have CM's telling you how fast you can walk in the park.

Now I know that some are going to tell me that they had some truly awesome interactions with the Disney folks and I had a couple good ones too, but OVERALL (that means on average), they have significantly dropped.

I'm here now and I would have to agree. 50% still awesome, 50% kind of grumpy! My theory is that due to the new system of magic bands/fastpass+, it has created extra stress and frustration for CMs just as any "new" thing does for any company. Hopefully it will improve again once the kinks are worked out in a couple years :rotfl2:

Based in the OP's responses here being snarky I don't believe that at the check in and resturant you were happy polite and the like. As someone said the aura you give off was probably returned. Snappyness eye rolling sighs commenting under your breath could have happened.

I find the fact that you waited 10 minutes for a refill either a total lie or that you never once attempted to stop your waiter/waitress. They put them in 1 area and they serve tables in one area. At any resturant while the sever might not be stopping by my table they are in th vicinity to where I can signal them. I can't imagine that they weren't around any of their tables for that long a period.

As for the boxing up if food, get over yourself. They didn't grab your plate, thy didn't say "OMG are you done yet???" Yes it was two dining meals, it wasn't Victoria and Alberts. All you had to say was no sorry I'm still working on it, you shouldn't be this upset over it, it really makes me feel like the CMS were probably telling about this ungodly rude diner at your table.

I do not think that word means what you think it means. Harsh and bitter describe primarily responses from the OP to posters who disagree with or question him.

Yea I'm the rude one :rolleyes:

Food for thought and something that has crossed my mind when I consider how bad customer service has deteriorated over the past number of years(not just at Disney but everywhere). I wonder if the difference in perception is age related, that is between those over and under about 40ish. I say that because I've noticed a distinct difference in what bothers those younger vs older, and the CS provided by those younger vs older.
I don't have kids but dh does from a previous both in their 30's. When I've outlined certain situations to them they react with a yes ? and ? whereas Im losing my mind. I recently had a problem getting through to our cell carrier and dh's oldest looked at me like I was nuts when I was complaining about it as though it was a forgone conclusion and I should expect to have that type of problem. Same thing when I previously lamented going into a local store and asking the clerk where to find an item and getting a directional pointing.
It may be that the difference between factions at Disney could also be age related too. Those of us who grew up with "real" customer service are disappointed or notice it more when it isn't what we expect, whereas it is exactly what is expected by those who have a "fresher" perspective on what customer service is now.

Yea I'm the rude one :rolleyes:

Could that be why you got so upset over nothing and perceived you got bad service? I've found that my attitude goes a long way in making the best vacation at WDW. My younger daughter can tell you all the times I started to get cranky, only to realize I needed to eat (the heat in August makes me feel less hungry, but my blood sugar drops anyways) and when I ate on a regular basis I was fine. But when I was cranky I was not giving out very good vibes, and not enjoying myself. When I'm fed I can chat happily with CMs while I wait for something, enjoy a moment of downtime if an attraction goes down, etc. The small stuff doesn't get sweated, and I actually enjoy the interaction.

Of course, one of my favorite things to do is chat with CMs, give a little back in thanks, and just enjoy the atmosphere.

I agree. We've been going for family vacations for almost 25 years. WDW used to be so different than other vacations, and the difference was the staff. Not so much any more.

Food for thought and something that has crossed my mind when I consider how bad customer service has deteriorated over the past number of years(not just at Disney but everywhere). I wonder if the difference in perception is age related, that is between those over and under about 40ish. I say that because I've noticed a distinct difference in what bothers those younger vs older, and the CS provided by those younger vs older.
I don't have kids but dh does from a previous both in their 30's. When I've outlined certain situations to them they react with a yes ? and ? whereas Im losing my mind. I recently had a problem getting through to our cell carrier and dh's oldest looked at me like I was nuts when I was complaining about it as though it was a forgone conclusion and I should expect to have that type of problem. Same thing when I previously lamented going into a local store and asking the clerk where to find an item and getting a directional pointing.
It may be that the difference between factions at Disney could also be age related too. Those of us who grew up with "real" customer service are disappointed or notice it more when it isn't what we expect, whereas it is exactly what is expected by those who have a "fresher" perspective on what customer service is now.

I'm not sure if that is totally true. I worked for Kmart 20 years ago. When I started we had all sorts of help. At night in the apparel section alone we would have 4 employees to clean things up. When I left that was down. To 1 person. It is not possible for person to give the same service as 4. And like I said, that was 20 years ago, so it is not a recent development.

I wish I could find an interview I read many years ago. A celebrity chef talked about how his restaurant had to serve a perfect dish to each patron each night because that visit might be the one and only time the patron would have that experience. There could be no off nights, no snippy waitstaff. There were no second chances. The attention to detail was paramount in his mind because his restaurant was well known and he wanted it associated with a certain standard of excellence.

I feel that WDW once maintained that standard. Patrons paid top dollar for a top notch experience every single day at every restaurant and every resort. I think patrons are still paying top dollar but are experiencing inconsistencies that do not meet the standard WDW once unfailingly provided.

Too many patrons? Trying to maximize profits at the expense of the patron's experience? Frustrated, patrons who feel the experience is not worth the expense? All contribute to an inconsistent vacation experience.

OP, your experience is very valid. It's as valid as a patron's perfect experience. Both experiences just prove how inconsistent WDW has become. For some, it may be a tipping point. For others, it may just be a minor blip. Vote with you pocketbook. And definitely keep posting.

I wish I could find an interview I read many years ago. A celebrity chef talked about how his restaurant had to serve a perfect dish to each patron each night because that visit might be the one and only time the patron would have that experience. There could be no off nights, no snippy waitstaff. There were no second chances. The attention to detail was paramount in his mind because his restaurant was well known and he wanted it associated with a certain standard of excellence.

I feel that WDW once maintained that standard. Patrons paid top dollar for a top notch experience every single day at every restaurant and every resort. I think patrons are still paying top dollar but are experiencing inconsistencies that do not meet the standard WDW once unfailingly provided.

Too many patrons? Trying to maximize profits at the expense of the patron's experience? Frustrated, patrons who feel the experience is not worth the expense? All contribute to an inconsistent vacation experience.

OP, your experience is very valid. It's as valid as a patron's perfect experience. Both experiences just prove how inconsistent WDW has become. For some, it may be a tipping point. For others, it may just be a minor blip. Vote with you pocketbook. And definitely keep posting.

It is a lot easier to provide a hundred guests with one perfect experience than it is to provide thousands of guests with multiple perfect experiences. Just sayin. I also don't think any business is perfect no matter how well intentioned.

I'm not sure if that is totally true. I worked for Kmart 20 years ago. When I started we had all sorts of help. At night in the apparel section alone we would have 4 employees to clean things up. When I left that was down. To 1 person. It is not possible for person to give the same service as 4. And like I said, that was 20 years ago, so it is not a recent development.

IMO, you may have hit the nail on the head! I've been in retail since the late 70's, 20 years with my current employer and what you say is so true. The large companies have one place to make a huge impact in profits and that is by cutting payrole. At one time I had more help than I needed, I was giving the customer way more than they ever expected and now I just can't. My co-workers and I can't take the pride in our jobs that we once did, and the customer suffers for it. Once you get so overwelmed with the workload, it shows. I wish these big companies would see how this affects the ambience of their buisness. I've had supervisors say that "If you don't like it you can be replaced".

Not knowing if Disney also went these kinds of cuts, but I would bet they did.

It is a lot easier to provide a hundred guests with one perfect experience than it is to provide thousands of guests with multiple perfect experiences. Just sayin. I also don't think any business is perfect no matter how well intentioned.

I don't disagree but I think this is where WDW is at odds with itself. The higher customer satisfaction level in restaurants and resorts may be achievable only under specific circumstances - including limiting the amount of patrons served (perhaps restaurants at pre-dining plan levels?). If it is truly unachievable with current patronage numbers, then perhaps it's no longer feasible to consider WDW as a world class dining destination (their words). If WDW's goal is to maximize profits, then it may not be possible to maintain the standard for which WDW is known. And that's fine. But then there will be more disgruntled patrons who will report unsatisfactory experiences as is their right.

My friend and I both work in customer service and during our last trip in 2013 during Food and Wine we overall had a great experience. Maybe it's because I am usually on the service side of the customer service equation but we decided to make a game out of spotting "out of character CM's." I forget how many we spotted but there is a kind of understanding and solidarity that I feel for the CM's at Disney.

While I am truly sorry that OP had a bad experience and hope they can find a resolution that makes them happy or that they can live with, I tend to fall on the side of people are only human. Full disclosure I am in my early 30's so I am on the cusp of the customer service gap between full service and frustration. In the end it comes down to the companies and the policies they institute and the old saying about "Stuff" always rolling downhill. ;) While this doesn't excuse any outright rude behavior the little lapses are in my opinion at least just a symptom of 8 hours with large crowds without the support needed from up top. It's just the poor schmucks, speaking as a fellow schmuck, that bear the brunt and try to make sense of easily contradictory expectations.

I am returning shortly to the world and plan on keeping a tally of Out of Character moments for my own amusement as well as exceptional CMs for moments when they do their own job well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter