Magicbands don't come with your resort stay anymore?

I guess setting up magic mobile correctly is the kicker. Is there a way to know in advance whether it's set up property? My and my wife's passes are in my wallet and both are already set to express mode.
If it is setup correctly, does my phone ding or vibrate when holding it to the mickey head for photos (or does the head light up) to let me know it worked
The mickey head lights up just like if you used your magic band no different. I honestly don't remember if there is any vibration on your phone/watch, i'm usually just looking at the mickey head waiting for it to go green.

For the non mickey head ride photos just make sure you said yes to use MDE with Bluetooth when you setup the app. If you have an iPhone just go to settings, then to the DisneyWorld app and make sure the slider is green under Bluetooth. As long as you don't shut off Bluetooth and your not logged out of the MDE app then Disney will auto connect when you get into the park. Unfortunately I don't believe there is a way to verify when you get into the park other than going on a ride and see if the photo shows up in your MDE app.

It sounds to me that your all set up and good to go.

How did ride photos work before MB+? I haven't been since 2017, but my ride photos have always automatically appeared in my MDE account. Also, interactive things such as our names showing up on screens inside the queues of Rock n Roller Coaster and Expedition Everest. I always figured they used something like a long-range RFID scanner, but now I read all these threads of people saying that none of those features will work without a MB+. Did older model magic bands have a battery and newer, regular (non-plus) magic bands do not?

How did ride photos work before MB+? I haven't been since 2017, but my ride photos have always automatically appeared in my MDE account. Also, interactive things such as our names showing up on screens inside the queues of Rock n Roller Coaster and Expedition Everest. I always figured they used something like a long-range RFID scanner, but now I read all these threads of people saying that none of those features will work without a MB+. Did older model magic bands have a battery and newer, regular (non-plus) magic bands do not?
The original MB and the newer MB2 (which is still being sold, but harder to find) both do have batteries for the long-range RFID functions. It might be that the posts you read referred to MB/MB2 that people have but the batteries no longer work because they're so old. IOW, it's not the model of the MB, it's the actual age of the individual band that means it won't work for ride photos. MB2s that are purchased now should link ride photos just fine.

The original MB and the newer MB2 (which is still being sold, but harder to find) both do have batteries for the long-range RFID functions. It might be that the posts you read referred to MB/MB2 that people have but the batteries no longer work because they're so old. IOW, it's not the model of the MB, it's the actual age of the individual band that means it won't work for ride photos. MB2s that are purchased now should link ride photos just fine.
Ok, perfect. That's great to know. I ordered 3 of the newer MB2s at the "pre-arrival" price of 10 bucks each, so it looks like we're good to go!

I think some people get confused.

When they want to post about any Magic Band feature, they use the term "Magic Band Plus" or "MB+". I think they forget that there are some tasks which can be accomplished with the older version of the Magic Band, and that the older version does not have "plus" as part of its name.

We used our old MBs from a trip in January 2019 (the bands shipped in fall 2018.) They were fully functional for us. If you have old bands, I would suggest you use those or get KTTW cards. There were a lot of issues when people were tapping into the parks using their phones this summer. At rope drop there were CMs offering to make KTTW cards for people who were planning on using their phones only, just to streamline the process.

On my last trip in June 2023, my MB+ blew off on RnRC, so I used my Apple Watch the rest of the trip.

My watch worked great at the rides and entering the parks, but did not work on door at the resort - I had to get a Key to the Kingdom. Because I was using my watch a lot, the battery started dying faster so I had to bring my cord with to charge my watch during meals.

From this experience, I’d be fine using my watch for a day, but not for a trip - buying the MB is worth it for multiple days.

ETA…I agree that it stinks to have to buy it now, but I’m sure it’s extremely expensive to give those out at no charge, so I get why they changed it.

Too funny, my MB+ flew off on RnRC too. By some miracle I filled out a lost item report and got it back a day later. It flew off, I was in DHS without my wallet, money, a KttK card anything. I was solely magicband and phone (that was not working with magic mobile and room entry). I had just hopped into the park to do a few lightning lanes and retire for the night. Thank God for Guest Services.

We used our old MBs from a trip in January 2019 (the bands shipped in fall 2018.) They were fully functional for us. If you have old bands, I would suggest you use those or get KTTW cards. There were a lot of issues when people were tapping into the parks using their phones this summer. At rope drop there were CMs offering to make KTTW cards for people who were planning on using their phones only, just to streamline the process.
There's a huge difference between not working and not setting something up correctly. People don't take the time to read instructions to set things up and expect them to work.

I was in front of someone who tried to use there phone and when the cm asked if they linked there passes to magic mobile they had no idea what she was talking about. All they kept saying is that they downloaded the MDE app which is only half of the equation. At that point the CM offered them a card and to go over to customer service to set it up correctly.

There's a huge difference between not working and not setting something up correctly. People don't take the time to read instructions to set things up and expect them to work.

I was in front of someone who tried to use there phone and when the cm asked if they linked there passes to magic mobile they had no idea what she was talking about. All they kept saying is that they downloaded the MDE app which is only half of the equation. At that point the CM offered them a card and to go over to customer service to set it up correctly.
Of course in general Disney IT\Dev does not do a great job and there have been numerous issues over the years.

I would agree with the premise that much of the issue is the user, but Disney also needs to understand their customer and make it simple.

It need to work like gravity.

Speaking of gravity and MB+ is there a gravity falls magic band+?
Probably not but would be cool to get one with Bill Cypher. (I know there is an older MB with gravity falls characters)

Older magic bands might still work for things the don't require the battery. Battery life varies based on a number of factors like age, how often it was used, quality of the battery, etc. Functions that do not require the battery will continue to work even after the battery has died. Batteries on the older MB can't be replaced, they were built into the device. MB perform 2 sets of functions as someone described earlier, one uses the battery while the other does not.

Of course in general Disney IT\Dev does not do a great job and there have been numerous issues over the years.

I would agree with the premise that much of the issue is the user, but Disney also needs to understand their customer and make it simple.

It need to work like gravity.

Speaking of gravity and MB+ is there a gravity falls magic band+?
Probably not but would be cool to get one with Bill Cypher. (I know there is an older MB with gravity falls characters)
I have the Gravity Falls MB, and I get compliments from CMs all the time. My ringtone for DD is the theme song.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter