MagicBand Battery Question

TheSpooph

Mouseketeer
I am trying to figure out MagicBands for our upcoming trip this May. We have a few MagicBands from our trip in June 2016. (This was pre-MagicBand 2.0.) I want to make sure the bands will still work on 7DMT, Small World, etc.

They worked during our previous trip... but I wasn’t sure if the battery life would last this long. Or, if there were any other gotchas I should be aware of.

Thanks for the help!

1. I want to make sure the bands will still work on 7DMT, Small World, etc.
2. Or, if there were any other gotchas I should be aware of.
1. Maybe they will work. Maybe not.
2. I wouldn't call those "gotchas," but, if you want to make sure, one of you can buy a new MB
and all of you ride together.

MagicBands can be used virtually forever...
IF your intent is to only use them for functions that require the "touch-scan."

BUT, there are some "distance" (non-touch)
functions that require that the MB's internal battery be used.
That battery has a limited life.
3 years would be a good estimate.
Some work longer than that, some less.

Looks like an "it depends".

My friend got an Orange Bird MB in 2015. Our most recent trip (Feb2019) it no longer worked. Even for room access.

My 2.0 magic band from 2017 works for park entrance but not ride photos now. : (
I've seen a similar comment from several people here on the Dis. I don't think we've ever reused a Magic Band and we go at least twice a year.
But we always just get the free ones, I can understand if someone has a special band they paid $$ for why they'd re-use it.:earsboy:

As noted there are 2 systems in the MB. The one for charging, getting into the parks and room key (technically) shouldn't wear out.
The other part is what senses where you are, and picks you up on rides for ride photos. That battery life is suposed to be about 2 years. That is probably variable.
If you have Photopass to get your onride photos free, then you want to use a new MB.

We have gotten new ones every once a year when we go, and that system has worked out fine, we get all ride photos.

Looks like an "it depends".

My friend got an Orange Bird MB in 2015. Our most recent trip (Feb2019) it no longer worked. Even for room access.
I guess that’s the 3rd, but more rare physically broke option. (Although I’d suspect a MDE glitch)

I think my work badge is a similar tap technology, and one day it stopped working (wouldn’t beep or register anywhere) but other workers have had their badges 10-20 more years than mine.

Thanks everyone for the help! I thought it would be a risk... so that’s why I knew all the experts here would help me. :)

Looks like I need to budget for a round of MB to be sure. We are only in MK for a day - which is why I’m super hesitant. But, it’ll be the first trip for the baby and the first time we ride ‘thrill’ rides for the older two. I want to capture the ride photos for sure - so I think I’ll just get some new bands. :)

Thanks everyone for the help! I thought it would be a risk... so that’s why I knew all the experts here would help me. :)

Looks like I need to budget for a round of MB to be sure. We are only in MK for a day - which is why I’m super hesitant. But, it’ll be the first trip for the baby and the first time we ride ‘thrill’ rides for the older two. I want to capture the ride photos for sure - so I think I’ll just get some new bands. :)
You only really need to buy ONE MB.
Just see to it that one of you is wearing it when any group is riding an attraction that uses the long-range photo detector. (Only 2-4 of them do.)
Otherwise, just tap the MB (or any regular ticket) at the photo display area at the ride exit.

Last edited:
According to Disney long range battery life is about 2 years.
Basically it might still work but it might not.
I'd buy at least 1 new one if you want to ensure you will be pulling the ride photos/videos from attractions that don't have a touch point to do so.

You only really need to buy ONE MB.
Just see to it that one of you is wearing it when any group is riding an attraction that uses the long-range photo detector. (Only 2-4 of them do.)
Otherwise, just tap the MB (or any regular ticket) at the photo display area at the ride exit.

According to Disney long range battery life is about 2 years.
Basically it might still work but it might not.
I'd buy at least 1 new one if you want to ensure you will be pulling the ride photos/videos from attractions that don't have a touch point to do so.

Thank you for this! That’s a great idea.

I've seen a similar comment from several people here on the Dis. I don't think we've ever reused a Magic Band and we go at least twice a year.
But we always just get the free ones, I can understand if someone has a special band they paid $$ for why they'd re-use it.:earsboy:

I have multiples but it is my favorite Haunted Mansion 45th Anniversary one - I could change out the puck, but I would lose the cool light feature. I bought the new Dooney Magic Band for my next trip though, so I'm all set.

You could get a portable long range NFC reader and test it starting at about 500 feet away and move closer until it can read it; however, at around $200 for a cheap one it would most likely cost more than a full round of magicbands.

Alternatively, many auto parts store have a device to test batteries in key fobs, since the tech isn't that far off, I wonder if these could be used to test the batteries in Magicbands.

My DD10 bought a new in package Stitch Magic Band two years ago on eBay. It worked last spring break but this spring break when we checked in at Bay Lake Towers, the guy checking us in checked the battery for her. It was dead, which we kind of expected. He promptly wrote her a note granting her a free magic band from anywhere on property. It was such a kind and unexpected surprise.
They have the ability to check at resorts, or at least they did at BLT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter