Magical Express Overbooking

Hockeyfan17

Mouseketeer
I just wanted to share an experience we had returning from the Polynesian Village Resort on DME. When we boarded the bus, we found that there were not enough seats for everyone in our party. Once we found seats for our DW's and children, myself and another DD we traveled with did not have a seat on the coach. Because of this we had to stand on our trip to MCO with no handrails and travelling on the interstate. This is not safe, and we felt that our safety was significantly put at risk. Our driver's comment to us was that he was a good driver and that we would be fine. He just said not to fall. Just a word of caution to those using the DME. We have been on three previous trips and certainly did not expect an overcrowded bus. This is against safety regulations, and we certainly are not impressed.

I just wanted to share an experience we had returning from the Polynesian Village Resort on DME. When we boarded the bus, we found that there were not enough seats for everyone in our party. Once we found seats for our DW's and children, myself and another DD we traveled with did not have a seat on the coach. Because of this we had to stand on our trip to MCO with no handrails and travelling on the interstate. This is not safe, and we felt that our safety was significantly put at risk. Our driver's comment to us was that he was a good driver and that we would be fine. He just said not to fall. Just a word of caution to those using the DME. We have been on three previous trips and certainly did not expect an overcrowded bus. This is against safety regulations, and we certainly are not impressed.
That's very strange. I've been on many WDW trips and have never had, seen or heard of an experience like that with DME. In your place, I would have declined to ride DME standing up, and insisted that Disney make alternate arrangements for our transportation since they overbooked. If they wouldn't comply, I would have taxied to the airport and followed up with customer service complaints to Disney until I got a satisfying response. Absolutely not acceptable to be expected to stand all the way from WDW to MCO. And I agree that it's not safe. You should contact Disney customer service and complain. I would expect at least some type of token compensation for that experience.

You need to contact Disney Guest Relations about this. It is not acceptable and probably violated all sorts of transportation codes/rules/laws. I've never been on DME, but earlier this year a coach style bus was used at our resort for park transportation when lines for MK grew extremely long. The bus driver would not allow anyone to stand. He said it was against the law. This made a lot of people mad who had been waiting a long time for a bus, but he didn't budge.

Wow. I just read the thread. I guess all guests now need to mentally prepare for the possibility this issue might occur, and be prepared to stand their ground & refuse to stand or sit on the floor of a DME bus. Amazing any guest would actually give in to that, but some people are very passive...

Bottom line: It's Disney's responsibility to get you safely to the airport, seated on Disney transportation. You paid for that when you paid for your resort. Make them keep their end of the bargain and get you to the airport properly.

Thanks, I just went through this thread as well. Seems like a very similar experience only 10 days apart. I did write to Disney and gave them the bus number and the name of the driver. If this is going to become a trend it is very disturbing. I will have many second thoughts about taking DME, however, it should be one of the perks of staying at a Disney resort. Not much of a perk if they are going to put your personal safety at risk.

We were always told that every adult must be in a seat. Children can sit on laps. We had to wait for a second bus to come on our way TO the resort because of this rule. I always thought it was a weird rule bc people stand on the buses to and from the parks.

We were always told that every adult must be in a seat. Children can sit on laps... I always thought it was a weird rule bc people stand on the buses to and from the parks.
The park buses are designed for people to stand in, and the DME coach buses are not. The park buses are also not traveling down an Orlando public freeway at over 50 mph.

Last edited:
We were always told that every adult must be in a seat. Children can sit on laps. We had to wait for a second bus to come on our way TO the resort because of this rule. I always thought it was a weird rule bc people stand on the buses to and from the parks.

As another poster said, coach buses are NOT designed for anything but sitting, while other types of buses (like you'll see in major cities or going to/from the parks) are specifically equipped to accommodate standing passengers with poles and handrails.

As another poster said, coach buses are NOT designed for anything but sitting, while other types of buses (like you'll see in major cities or going to/from the parks) are specifically equipped to accommodate standing passengers with poles and handrails.

I totally agree. I have no problem standing on a Disney Transport Bus as they are equipped with handrails. Coach buses are not, and not meant to have standing guests.

I wonder if this is a factor here?
Are people putting kids in seats that ME/Disney didn't count as passengers? Were they expecting them to be lap kids?
No idea just wondering if that could be where the miscount came from

I wonder if this is a factor here?
Are people putting kids in seats that ME/Disney didn't count as passengers? Were they expecting them to be lap kids?
No idea just wondering if that could be where the miscount came from
I'd say that's a good possibility, but IMO, the bus driver should not sit down, much less drive off until he sees everyone is in a seat.

Weirdly, Seattle transit now uses coaches for some of their routes. And people stand.

I'd say that's a good possibility, but IMO, the bus driver should not sit down, much less drive off until he sees everyone is in a seat.
I agree 100%. They need to inform those with lap children that they'll have to be in a lap when the bus is full. If that is the issue. I know it's far from ideal but if that's how the party is counted that's how they need to be seated when there is no extra room. But we all know that if the driver got a guest who refused most are going to back down, even though they shouldn't, and end up with someone standing or sitting on the floor. It's wrong, no matter what happened. And should be reported, without question. Especially if they can trace both instances back to 1 driver. Retraining may be necessary.

Is it true of the DME buses that they have an id tag posted on the back? Something you could take a pic of to show who the driver is?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter