• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magical Express - Never Again

We fly from California. I don't do red eyes so even if I leave on the first flight out , I will not arrive before 5pm due to the time change, flight length, and required connection.

We used to not do crack-of-dawn flights, ourselves. When we sucked it up, doing so made Disney trips a lot easier in terms of transfer times. It's all personal preference. If we lived in CA, we'd probably fly in around 8pm to miss Orlando and DME rush hours.

We used to not do crack-of-dawn flights, ourselves. When we sucked it up, doing so made Disney trips a lot easier in terms of transfer times. It's all personal preference. If we lived in CA, we'd probably fly in around 8pm to miss Orlando and DME rush hours.

I think transfer times are all luck. I've flown in as early as I could, and had to wait a while to get on a bus. My last trip we arrived at 11 pm and waited less than 5 minutes. But I've had late night transfers from h e double hockey sticks too.

Fly early. We leave Chicago no later than 6am and arrive into MCO no later than 9:30am and we've never waited longer than 20 or 30 minutes to board DME--including during Pop Warner this month, when we walked onto our CSR bus (a Pop Warner resort) with absolutely no wait.

That's so nice to read! We just booked a 6 am flight out of O'hare. We love to fly that early. We live right by the blue-line and have TSA pre-check, so we won't get there before 5. A little early, but arriving at 9:42 am (or so) is great!

In part because of this thread (and others just like it), I decided to get a car (tiffany town car) to take us from MCO to WL on Wednesday. But for the airport return, is Magical Express reliable? I would assume no problem with lines (?) for the airport return?

In part because of this thread (and others just like it), I decided to get a car (tiffany town car) to take us from MCO to WL on Wednesday. But for the airport return, is Magical Express reliable? I would assume no problem with lines (?) for the airport return?

Airport return is very easy... You will check in your bags at WL (for most domestic airlines) and be given a specific time for bus pickup at the resort. Your only line will be through security at MCO.

OP: I feel your pain! Last trip, we waited a solid hour plus in the LONG line to get on the bus to Pop (and that was late August). Luckily, my DD could sit in her wheelchair and read (so glad we bring our own now; no way could she stand in a line so long without pain). It was miserable.

One other time, the first time we took magical express, it was well over 2 1/2 hours before we arrived at the BWI. I swore that trip I wouldn't take it again, but we've had some decent experiences with it as well.

Also, the return last spring break, we picked up at a couple other resorts and weren't even heading to the airport until we had sat on the bus for well over an hour. We wished we had taken a taxi.

It's so hit or miss. I'm on the fence about taking it next trip or just booking a car service..

OP: I feel your pain! Last trip, we waited a solid hour plus in the LONG line to get on the bus to Pop (and that was late August). Luckily, my DD could sit in her wheelchair and read (so glad we bring our own now; no way could she stand in a line so long without pain). It was miserable.

One other time, the first time we took magical express, it was well over 2 1/2 hours before we arrived at the BWI. I swore that trip I wouldn't take it again, but we've had some decent experiences with it as well.

Also, the return last spring break, we picked up at a couple other resorts and weren't even heading to the airport until we had sat on the bus for well over an hour. We wished we had taken a taxi.

It's so hit or miss. I'm on the fence about taking it next trip or just booking a car service..

And everyone that lumbered on to the bus most with kids, and strollers, and all their crap got one of these.

lol

Kindness-Please-No-Stink-Eye.jpg

And an off topic bonus post!

Heres the monorail after the Contemporary stop on it's way to MK. People tired of full trains from Epcot ran out of patience I reckon...

18z010bf1y07fjpg.jpg

Honestly? I would do the reverse. The problem I have run into multiple times going back is how long it takes to get to the airport. You have no way of knowing if you will get picked up and head to the airport right away, or if you will have to stop at multiple other resorts first. One trip we drove around over an hour before heading to the airport, and then we turned around because someone had left their wheelchair behind! I was freaking out we would miss our flight! After a few trips like that if I can I now pay for a car back to the airport. Unless I am in a hurry, or unless it is really late at night, Magical Express is usually fine going to the resort.

Exactly you also can't do in park charges or delivery of packages like at Disney owned hotels.

Just to clarify - You can have your in park purchases delivered to the Swan and Dolphin they will be in the gift shop the day after you purchase but no - you can't charge in park purchases back to the swan and dolphin.

To further clarify (although somewhat ot) - once on property the S&D use the same transportation as the rest of the WDW resorts, boat to Epcot and Studios and buses everywhere else - buses are often combined with the BW. You can park for free in the theme parks but there is a charge for self parking at the resort, you do have access to extra magic hours as well.

IIRC the only WDW perks S&D doesn't offer are DME, room charging or meal plans.

Just to clarify - You can have your in park purchases delivered to the Swan and Dolphin they will be in the gift shop the day after you purchase but no - you can't charge in park purchases back to the swan and dolphin.

To further clarify (although somewhat ot) - once on property the S&D use the same transportation as the rest of the WDW resorts, boat to Epcot and Studios and buses everywhere else - buses are often combined with the BW. You can park for free in the theme parks but there is a charge for self parking at the resort, you do have access to extra magic hours as well.

IIRC the only WDW perks S&D doesn't offer are DME, room charging or meal plans.

Or having Magic Bands. Or having a Resort Airline Check In Desk.

Thanks - I forgot about the MB - although you can have them; you just have to purchase them (and they won't open the door:) ) ! Some SPG resorts do have airline check in- maybe in time?

We have Magic Bands that work just fine. We dont need DME, Room Charging or a meal plan. I can check in online from my bed for our flight on my phone and I can open the hotel room door with the keys.

Swan Dolphin, YC/BC and the Boardwalk Hotels are primo location IMO.

Last edited:
We have Magic Bands that work just fine. We dont need DME, Room Charging or a meal plan. I can check in online from my bed for our flight on my phone and I can open the hotel room door with the keys.

Agree - we Love the S&D but it is a bit misleading when you post about not choosing DME when it isn't available to you!

Back OT - we have used a town car (for our S&D stays) and DME many times over the past few years and honestly the time savings alone of a town car over DME aren't enough to warrant the cost for us. If you factor in the personal service and grocery stop (again taking away from the time savings) there are some trips where it is a better value for us. In September we had a 3 hour town car trip due to the lightning storms in the area and having to wait over 2 hours for our bags - delays happen with all forms of transportation.

But you can't hand off your checked bags. You have to check them at the airport. I love RAC for that.

Ah yes, December 10th, I remember it well. My sister came in that day and she said it was wall to wall people when she got there. I believe there was a much larger number of people that day, somewhere around 30,000 when normal is less than 20,000.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter