Magical Express - luggage only

myneverland

Mouseketeer
I know that technically you cannot use ME for luggage only service. But as a work around - if we checked into ME at the counter at the airport but never boarded the bus (i.e. got a rental car instead) - would ME still deliver our bags directly to our Disney resort room?

This is addressed over on the Transportation Board. There is a "sticky" that will tell you what you need to know.

Actually, I read through the sticky and did not see this specific question answered: If you go to the MDE line and scan your band then get out of line, does that put you in a better position than just tagging your bags and hoping they get to the resort?

You can get the yellow luggage tags from Disney, put them on your bags at your home airport then your bags will "magically" arrive in your room

I know that technically you cannot use ME for luggage only service. But as a work around - if we checked into ME at the counter at the airport but never boarded the bus (i.e. got a rental car instead) - would ME still deliver our bags directly to our Disney resort room?

I don't know the answer to this question but I am curious why you would bother to check in at the ME counter and then go rent a car. That seems no less of a hassle than getting your bags and going to the rental car counter. Not trying to be negative - just wondering what I'm missing.

I don't know the answer to this question but I am curious why you would bother to check in at the ME counter and then go rent a car. That seems no less of a hassle than getting your bags and going to the rental car counter. Not trying to be negative - just wondering what I'm missing.
In the sticky referenced in post #2 above (which started in 2008 and is 28 pages long, by the way - not the easiest thread to navigate), they talk about what happens if you tag your bags, skip the bus and go right to the resort via cab, rented car, Uber, limo, etc and then for some reason, the bag doesn't show up. That seems to be the only concern because when you call Disney, they can say "we have no record of you being on the bus" and you could be in trouble. The OP's suggestion of tapping your band then getting out of line, may alleviate that concern? Curious what others think.

Also, MDE is right near the rental car counters, so I don't see it as a big hassle to do this and the advantage is not having to haul your big checked bag(s) in your rented car - especially if you have a big party and a small/midsize car.

But don't you tap your band to check in and then again just before you get on the bus? Would they show you had checked-in but not actually boarded? And does that put you back at square one?

So you have to tap your magicband twice. Once before you get into line and once again right before you board the bus, so you would have to wait in the line for ME in order for them to acknowledge you as being there and using the service.

There are two places where they scan your band before you get on the bus, not just one. That might be an important piece of the puzzle, I'm not positive. (And the second scan entails a wait if the bus is not already there and ready to be boarded).

I was once on a bus that was delayed waiting for people who tapped at the first checkpoint and then went to get food and hadn't tapped before getting on the bus. So there is a chance that you could delay every one else's trip to start your own faster.

Honestly, if you are going to waste time going to where Magical Express is and tapping points, you may as well skip the yellow tags and pick up your luggage.

In the sticky referenced in post #2 above (which started in 2008 and is 28 pages long, by the way - not the easiest thread to navigate), they talk about what happens if you tag your bags, skip the bus and go right to the resort via cab, rented car, Uber, limo, etc and then for some reason, the bag doesn't show up. That seems to be the only concern because when you call Disney, they can say "we have no record of you being on the bus" and you could be in trouble. The OP's suggestion of tapping your band then getting out of line, may alleviate that concern? Curious what others think.

Also, MDE is right near the rental car counters, so I don't see it as a big hassle to do this and the advantage is not having to haul your big checked bag(s) in your rented car - especially if you have a big party and a small/midsize car.
Pick up your own luggage.

[QUOTE="huskies90, post: 57859036, member: 75461"

Also, MDE is right near the rental car counters, so I don't see it as a big hassle to do this and the advantage is not having to haul your big checked bag(s) in your rented car - especially if you have a big party and a small/midsize car.[/QUOTE]

To be safe have some of your party ride the bus and the rest can take the car.

I would just rent the car. Check into the resort. Have a bag with your change of clothes. Check your luggage and go to the parks. Then when your room is ready your bags will magically appear in your room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter