• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic Kingdom - What a Mess!

Good grief! We aren't talking about the occasional refurb or a little construction. I never anticipated, it would be this bad. MK is a mess! No amount of spin, can make me excited about it.

Have you even been there lately? Also, how can you see all this so well from BLT and how much time do you spend staring at the construction? If you haven't had your trip yet , just cancel, and you won't have to see it, but for most of us we're not bothered :banana: It's not "this bad" and we didn't have to try at all to be excited :confused3

I am not bothered at all about the construction in Fantasyland. It is a necessary evil for the expansion, and I am really happy that Disney is expanding and adding new things to the parks.

That being said, why is the Main Street refresh taking so long? That area has been under construction for a long time and I am really surprised about that. I would have thought that MS being the entry to their most magical park, Disney would be rushing any sort of work being done there, but it seems to have been going on for so long now. Don't get me wrong. The buildings that are done being painted and refreshed look amazing when they are done, but I look forward to the whole Main Street being done and uncovered.

I am not bothered at all about the construction in Fantasyland. It is a necessary evil for the expansion, and I am really happy that Disney is expanding and adding new things to the parks.

That being said, why is the Main Street refresh taking so long? That area has been under construction for a long time and I am really surprised about that. I would have thought that MS being the entry to their most magical park, Disney would be rushing any sort of work being done there, but it seems to have been going on for so long now. Don't get me wrong. The buildings that are done being painted and refreshed look amazing when they are done, but I look forward to the whole Main Street being done and uncovered.

Just like everything else, Main Street will never be "done". They constantly rotate work among a handful of the stores and facades. I'm confident in contending that most of my numerous visits included one or more scrims on MS. After a while, you just don't notice it anymore--and that's if you ever did. I think many people's issue with current MS state is that the Bakery facade on the north end sticks out into part of MS itself and blocks that once-in-a-lifetime magical first view of Cinderella Castle. In that case, my best advice is to walk up the left side and soldier on. That's about all you can do.

Just like everything else, Main Street will never be "done". They constantly rotate work among a handful of the stores and facades. I'm confident in contending that most of my numerous visits included one or more scrims on MS. After a while, you just don't notice it anymore--and that's if you ever did. I think many people's issue with current MS state is that the Bakery facade on the north end sticks out into part of MS itself and blocks that once-in-a-lifetime magical first view of Cinderella Castle. In that case, my best advice is to walk up the left side and soldier on. That's about all you can do.

Very good advise because if you walk up the left side your (once in a lifetime?) view of Cinderella Castle is not obstructed.

Everyone try and remember that the facades on main street are varying ages. Some might be the original and 40 years old. You stand out in the Florida weather for 40 years and see how much work you might need. Oh, while you are at it throw in a couple of bugs that Florida is so famous for. This stuff has to be done and if you want to enjoy the parks for years to come, then lets keep the rhetoric to a low roar. It is no where near as bad as everyone is making it out to be, especially the Fantasyland construction. Even Main Street is just a minor distraction. Here's an idea...look at the scrims on the Bakery and instead of getting all righteously indignant...try and admire the detail that went into it. The artistry and the effort that was made to not be any more distracting then it had to be. There aren't many places that would go to that much trouble to keep your trip as good as it can be. Try just once to appreciate the efforts made.

After a while, you just don't notice it anymore .... my best advice is to walk up the left side and soldier on. That's about all you can do.

Ha. or how about we advise the people, who have saved for several years for their once in a lifetime trip, just to keep their eyes closed and imagine how good that it's all gonna be 'someday'....

....or perhaps Disney could make money out of all the horrible construction eyesores and bring out a special pair of of souvenir 'Mickey Blinkers' so guests don't have to look at any of it at all. After all with the length of time its all taking, you'd get your money worth and be able to use them for multiple visits!

Or a great idea for a souvenir shirt that they could sell at the moment. How about they design a tee-shirt to look like its covered in construction dirt and paint splodges, and add the emblem -

"I went to Disney World during all the construction work going on and all I got was this lousy Tee Shirt"

:offtopic:I'm starting to get the very distinct feeling that about 90% of the people posting on DIS Boards these days are either Universal Employee's or people that just cannot be forced into happiness or have the ability to enjoy anything that isn't perfect. Must be a tough life, cause I have yet to find anything perfect about life. I have found it to be so much more enjoyable and easy by realizing that and looking for the good things. I cannot speak for anyone else, but I personally believe that life is too short to always have my glass half empty.

I'm just back and I think they are doing a very good job of hiding most of the work. And believe me... It's not a mess. At least I didn't think so. Didn't spoil any of the "Magic" for me.
Nancy

It's just like construction on roads, inconvenient, ugly, and a problem at times, but in the end, it is nicer, better, and worth the wait.

Am I the only one getting the feeling that some people want to be upset for some strange reason? :confused3 I don't get why you would be so sure you would be unhappy, before you even go there.

As I said before, if you are sure you will be miserable then you will be. That is the way life works. One out of four plus parks has major construction going on. It is a very small part of the giant area that is WDW. It will only ruin someone's vacation if they let it.

As I said before, we just got back from 10 days there and if it had been my first and only trip to go I would have been totally happy :cheer2: Most of the stuff I hardly noticed, and the earlier poster saying it was sad that this was what children seeing Fantasyland would see their maybe first and only trip was more than I could grasp. I doubt very many children there ever noticed any construction - they were too busy enjoying the park and excitement - except for those that were whining and nothing would please them anyway - they definitely weren't whining because of construction :confused3 Oh well, some people like to complain, and nothing would make them happy anyway. We heard several couples arguing rather heatedly several times this trip so doubt they were "happy campers" either:sad2:

Maybe they can decorate the crane and scaffolding with twinkly lights in time for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party Nights?

Magic+Kingdom+Fantasyland033.jpg

20120502-(135).jpg

:offtopic:I'm starting to get the very distinct feeling that about 90% of the people posting on DIS Boards these days are either Universal Employee's or people that just cannot be forced into happiness or have the ability to enjoy anything that isn't perfect. Must be a tough life, cause I have yet to find anything perfect about life. I have found it to be so much more enjoyable and easy by realizing that and looking for the good things. I cannot speak for anyone else, but I personally believe that life is too short to always have my glass half empty.

:thumbsup2 I agree with you. I am going this summer and planning on enjoying the parks and my family. We will be on vacation together so we might as well be happy -- so much less tiring than being angry and/or unhappy.

:laundy:
Maybe they can decorate the crane and scaffolding with twinkly lights in time for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party Nights?

Magic+Kingdom+Fantasyland033.jpg

20120502-(135).jpg

I think at this point you need to just reschedule until the construction is done. You are so angry about what amounts to maybe 5% of what there is to do on Disney property overall.

You are angry about it to the point that I feel bad for the CM's that come across you and dare ask how you like the MK.

Imho, if someone spends their trip to WDW staring at a crane because they hate it being there, they have a bigger issue than the crane being there. What a waste of time, worrying about construction that none of us can do anything about. What a sad way to waste vacation time.

I have a suggestion for the folks who have a hard time "not seeing" the construction. It's the same suggestion I'd give to people having a hard time playing a particular piece of music: Practice, practice, practice!

Mrs. Tex and I long ago instituted a strenuous regime of ignoring clutter, dirty laundry, and full sinks, just for the very purpose of being able to truly enjoy places where temporary construction might make things appear to be less than perfect. After over 35 years, we believe that we're able to completely disregard construction, peeling paint, a gum wrapper or two, burned out light bulbs, and even grouchy CMs (to train for that, we go to a fast food restaurant once a week) sufficiently that our trip this October will be completely magical.

Imho, if someone spends their trip to WDW staring at a crane because they hate it being there, they have a bigger issue than the crane being there. What a waste of time, worrying about construction that none of us can do anything about. What a sad way to waste vacation time.

Tip of the iceberg...

Yesterday I got the result from my most recent CT scan. After 2 1/2 years, two major surgeries, radiation therapy and chemo therapy I am cancer free. When I am at Disney in August if the Main Street scrim is still up the first thing I'm going to do I'm going walk up and give it a big kiss. Believe me, an obstruced view is a minor inconvieniece solved by taking a few steps to the left.

Yesterday I got the result from my most recent CT scan. After 2 1/2 years, two major surgeries, radiation therapy and chemo therapy I am cancer free. When I am at Disney in August if the Main Street scrim is still up the first thing I'm going to do I'm going walk up and give it a big kiss. Believe me, an obstruced view is a minor inconvieniece solved by taking a few steps to the left.

:thumbsup2 Way to go :goodvibes

Personally I love seeing so much construction being done because it gets me so excited for what's coming in the future!

Ha. or how about we advise the people, who have saved for several years for their once in a lifetime trip, just to keep their eyes closed and imagine how good that it's all gonna be 'someday'....

....or perhaps Disney could make money out of all the horrible construction eyesores and bring out a special pair of of souvenir 'Mickey Blinkers' so guests don't have to look at any of it at all. After all with the length of time its all taking, you'd get your money worth and be able to use them for multiple visits!

Or a great idea for a souvenir shirt that they could sell at the moment. How about they design a tee-shirt to look like its covered in construction dirt and paint splodges, and add the emblem -

"I went to Disney World during all the construction work going on and all I got was this lousy Tee Shirt"

This post makes me sad.

This post makes me happy. :woohoo:

ETA: Thanks for pointing that one out, North of Mouse and Cinderella's slipper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter