• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic Kingdom - What a Mess!

Just been looking at a you tube video to get the family excited about our trip there later in the year, as our dining reservation window opens up soon.

this one in fact - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqEc8zYx6Hg

Well all I can say is - what a mess it seems to look.

Fantasyland Construction - cranes, construction walls and lots of metal framework poking up

Old Skyway area - what an ugly looking corner of the park - and you can see the 'very non magical' ride building of Haunted Mansion

Big Thunder - construction panels and yellow 'do not cross the line' tape with no visible walls 'covering up 'the magic'

Outside the park - the view from monorail at the Grand Floridian expansion looks like a horrible building site

I do appreciate its a massive project, and will eventually be fantastic - but seems that all this construction is never ending - and from this video - as ugly as ever

And will continue into 2014 apparently (I believe that's when the centrally located mine train ride will be completed)

I think you should stay home till it's all done. :thumbsup2

20120419-030.jpg

I actually think that looks remarkably good, but I assume you don't? It seems the alternatives are plain tarps or a building in disrepair, so a beautiful scrim is preferable in my book, any day of the week.

Call me a pragmatist, but I think any park the size of MK, much less all of WDW, is going to be under constant renovation, and the fact that they are handling it as well as I think they are is, in my opinion, a credit to park management.

The one thing that I appreciate about Disney is that they try to cover up their construction projects when they are able to. Granted they cannot cover up a crane but anyways.

Why not focus on one part of the world that needs to be re-constructed or refurbed and put all the effort into that, then move on to something else. Then perhaps people who are having their first trips to WDW may not feel like "everything is closed" or "there is nothing to do".

Who knows.

Anyone who thinks there's nothing to do at Disney World, even with several rife closures, needs to have their head examined. :rotfl:

It would be nice if they could concentrate on one thing at a time, but that's not always feasible. Rides need maintenance and things wear out, they have to catch them before that happens or they're inviting accidents. We were bummed when we were there that BTMRR was closed, but look forward to visiting again when it's back up. And even though Fantasyland was blocked off and there were some other things that were not available due to the season, we had PLENTY to keep us busy. We were in parks for 8 days and we feel like we still missed a lot of things that were there but we didn't have time for.

Sometimes I think Disney can not win. People will be upset no matter what the do (or don't do). I would MUCH rather have construction going on and things being updates, expanded, and fixed then deal with messes, breakdowns, and no new things.

Yes::yes::you read my mind

I also remember a LOT of people complaining and moaning about the 50th anniversary decorations, and I thought they were beautiful.
Magic_Kingdom_Cinderella_Castle_50TH.jpg

Oh WOW! I thought the pink castle was, um...interesting but it certainly didn't spoil our trip. Heck, we thought it was quite magical. But the 50th decorations are so... neat!

Ah well. You can't please all the people all of the time. :rolleyes1

Wow. That was a super large picture. Sorry about that. ;)

I ALSO remember people being up in arms the day that Stitch's Great Escape officially opened, and Stitch toilet papered the castle. It was up for one day and there were asoooooooooooo many complaints.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TjEs0cPQIZs/S5wKYDqhu_I/AAAAAAAAD18/D8mqZl4ggwk/s320/TP+Castle.jpg

That would have been fun to see. But some people DO plan long awaited trips where they're only going to be in the MK one day. Our first trip ever was just one day. And yeah, I would have been disappointed in that.

When there's nothing new or rides start to get run down...people complain.

When there is construction...people complain

THIS!

You have the option of not going. I know that is thrown around here a lot, and some people cant change their plans, but c'mon. As PP's have said, either they close the place down for three or four months each year to do this stuff, or you get to see it taking place. I would prefer to witness a little bit of what happens to make the magic, and IMHO they do a really good job of trying to keep the place looking as good as possible while they work.

Construction? What construction? :goodvibes
I was too busy watching my kids laugh and play in Pooh's treehouse and in the interactive queue to notice the crane and steel beams behind me.
I was too busy watching my DD scream with delight on the Barnstormer six times in a row to notice the half covered blue circus tent.
I was too busy trying to navigate the infamous bottleneck between IASW and PP to notice the scrims and piles of dirt at the old Skyway station.
I was too busy watching my DS sing his train songs as he rode the monorail to notice the GF construction.

It's all a matter of perspective. Of course things are going to look "messy" when you're looking at pictures from your desktop. But my experience is that once you're there and immersed in the atmosphere with so much to do and look at, it's barely noticeable. My father in law joined us last week and this was his first trip ever. He enjoyed every single minute in MK and not once did he notice or comment on any of the construction going on. :thumbsup2

We got to WDW a lot and I will agree it is a nightmare right now (the bakery and afew others on main st, columbia Harbour house, the skyway, random crates thrown about in adventureland near the magic carpets, big thunder, dumbo, the walkway into the circus and of course fantasyland) , but I also know what it is supposed to look like. First time guests will not really "see" most of the construction because they dont know what it used to look like. And lets be honest there are 3 other parks with minimal construction, so there is tons to do sans construction areas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter