Magic Kingdom on a Sunday??

disneyandme

DIS Veteran
I have been working on our 2017 trip and looking at various crowd calendars to pick which parks for which days. Usually I just check easywdw.com but since they stopped crowd calendars-- and I understand why--- I am trying to piece things together myself. Anyway, several sites have suggested MK as a good park for Sunday. I have never hit MK on a weekend because of crowds, but extra magic hours have moved around a bit over the years and maybe Sunday is a good idea.
What experiences have others have with Sundays at the MK?

I am curious about this as well. One site rec'd one of our days for a Sunday and another sitd said it was above average crowds on Sun 10/23 (party night, we are not attending). We are choosing to go for it anyway. I am guessing MK is busy many days of the week so we just made adrs and fps and we'll anticipate whatever hits us. We're planning on rope drop and going to Hoop that night for dinner instead so losing a few hours won't bother us. Maybe that's an advantage?

And, there ya go.
:thumbsup2

Yup. MK is crowded pretty much every day. I don't know the exact statistics, I'm sure someone else may have them, but I'm willing to bet MK is far and away the most visited park.

I've said in other posts before, but I truly can't tell the difference between a Tuesday, a Thursday or a Sunday in pretty much any of the parks. There really isn't a weekday pattern that I've been able to notice. Maybe...just maybe...Friday evening and Saturday are a bit busier in MK because of locals coming for the weekend, but even that I'm not really sure is accurate. Just a seat of the pants feeling.

Don't be a slave to the crowd calendars, plan what's best for your and your family.

My only real experience is in the late April/early May timeframe. We specifically avoid MK on Sundays (and Saturdays). It tends to be more crowded than Monday or Tuesday, for example. Crowd calendars at Undercover Tourist for that time period tend to reflect that as well. I've had CM's give anecdotal advice to avoid MK on Sunday as well, but I take that with a grain of salt. It's definitely been our experience that Monday tends to be the best day to go, at least during our timeframe.

For weekend days we will hit Epcot, or just avoid the parks altogether since we usually spread our 6 day passes out over the full 14 days the tickets are valid.

My only real experience is in the late April/early May timeframe. We specifically avoid MK on Sundays (and Saturdays). It tends to be more crowded than Monday or Tuesday, for example...

For years, and years, and years...
It has been reported by top "prediction sites" that MK is extra-busy on Mondays.

No, I'm not kidding.

And, yes, I'm saying that everyone has a different opinion on which park to visit on which day.

Don't be a slave to the crowd calendars, plan what's best for your and your family.

This 100000 times. It's going to be crowded. You are going to wait in some kind of line somewhere. Go in knowing that and, with a pretty decent plan of attack, you will have a good time. (Also, refresh those extra fastpasses like a maniac. I had to refresh hundreds of times before I got a good one, but I still got a good one).

Sundays are very good specially to get ADR for lunch at Be Our Guest, for some reason I'm always able to find reservations on Sundays, maybe because is less crowded? I agree with other posters you will still have a summer crowd is you are going on any sunday of summer, and likewise if your trip is on a low crowd season, any day of the week will still be considered low crowd, is more about the season than a specific day, also sunday is a relatively slow day for magic kingdom because people staying on property have late extra magic hours on Saturday, most of them will be off to another park on Sunday

I have always found MK to have pretty low crowds on Sunday mornings. It may pick up as the day goes on. Last time I was there on Sunday was a MVMCP day and it was slow until 4-ish. (But I am another one who never bothers with crowd calendars.)

We went on Sun, Tues, and Sat in early May. Sun was the least busy of those days but it could be coincidence. So it worked for us, but YMMV.

I have always found MK to have pretty low crowds on Sunday mornings. It may pick up as the day goes on. Last time I was there on Sunday was a MVMCP day and it was slow until 4-ish. (But I am another one who never bothers with crowd calendars.)
This is the exact theory we are banking on but honestly now that everything is reserved and I'm not considering a switch...we are going to take it as it comes even if we are wrong. My kids won't know they are missing the party if we walk out at 2:30 or 3 for Hoop anyway. Rope drop until then will be plenty for my 4 year old. Know what your own family can handle.

We were at MK Sunday over Labor Day weekend. Touring Plans had 8 of 10. We had PPO for CP and were were getting our last pics taken as the cast members were walking the rope drop crowd down Main St so we did not have a huge jump on the crowd. We went to Adventure Land first and had Jungle Cruise boat to ourselves, had a private showing of Tiki Room, walked on Pirates, walked on Splash 2x, walked on Haunted Mansion, then used FP+ for 7DMT and PP. If you use FP wisely and at rope drop go where everyone else is not going you can avoid the crowds for a good part of the morning.

MK is usually busier on Saturdays and Mondays. Saturdays because they usually have longer park hours and Monday because that is usually the first day of vacations for people that fly in on Sundays. It has been historically Josh's most recommended park on Sunday. I would go with a good touring plan.

MK is usually busier on Saturdays and Mondays. Saturdays because they usually have longer park hours and Monday because that is usually the first day of vacations for people that fly in on Sundays. It has been historically Josh's most recommended park on Sunday. I would go with a good touring plan.
Just don't go on a Monday whatever you do! We regretted taking that advice on our last trip and boy were we sorry. It was nuts. I had never seen it like that. We were in line for Pirates and Jungle Cruise for at least 45 minutes each and we had never waited more than a few minutes for those rides! Never again on a Monday!!!!

We hit MK on Sunday mornings every trip and it's awesome. We usually leave midday so I can't speak for the later afternoons, but the mornings are great!

We were in MK for rope drop on Sunday 9/4 and didn't find it to be too bad at all, considering it was predicted to be 8/10 that day. I expected it to be very busy because of Labor Day weekend. The morning was great, and we took an afternoon break before returning for BOG dinner. It rained for hours that night and the park was open till midnight. As it got later, the crowds were less and less and it ended up being a great evening when the rain finally let up. My family went back to the resort and I am glad that I stayed until closing. I think Saturdays and Mondays are much busier than Sundays at MK.

I have been working on our 2017 trip and looking at various crowd calendars to pick which parks for which days. Usually I just check easywdw.com but since they stopped crowd calendars-- and I understand why--- I am trying to piece things together myself. Anyway, several sites have suggested MK as a good park for Sunday. I have never hit MK on a weekend because of crowds, but extra magic hours have moved around a bit over the years and maybe Sunday is a good idea.
What experiences have others have with Sundays at the MK?

Easy wdw hasn't stopped their crowd calendars fyi

http://www.disboards.com/threads/josh-and-easywdw.3543085/

Quote:

Josh announced he is no longer updating his crowd calendars. His reasoning can be found below. I have to say that he might be the most straight forward and honorable crowd predicator in the game. Hats off to him. Sad to see his crowd calendars are on hold because his were most likely to be accurate. Few in the Disney blogger/website/podcast game generated easy access to info like he has...

"Disney did away with their long term predictions back in March and they're not saying anything more than two weeks out. Last year's crowds aren't a good indicator of this year's crowds. The summer has been completely dead. June saw lower attendance than virtually any time since September 2012. The last week of April this year was busier than Easter. No crowd calendar predicted that. Can't really go by wait times since Disney now reduces staffing so much when they're expecting fewer people. So you can have half as many people in line and still see longer waits if a ride is running with half the vehicles on the track. Avoiding Extra Magic Hours is antiquated advice. Animal Kingdom wait times this summer have been longest on Tuesdays. So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't have any information to provide. I could make it up like the "competition" and spend 20 minutes every month color coding the travel agents calendar based on when EMH is, but it wouldn't be accurate. So I don't know." (Source: http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showthread.php?33926-April-2017-Crowd-Calendar)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter