Magic Bands 101

The long term plan is to do away with the regular FastPass system and only have Fastpass+. The big question here is what will happen to locals and off property guests then?

In the next phase of testing, which I understand begins 10/27, "select" guests will not receive KTTW cards. I assume, however, that they can be requested. there are people who cannot or will not wear these huge plastic bands. The "stiff" part of the band is wider than many people wrists, mine included, making it quite uncomfortable to wear (even if it is pink). I am sure this is even worse for younger children, which means Mom or Dad has to carry around a bunch of bands rather than put some cards in the wallet.

Due to the Fastpass+ system, regular fast passes are running out VERY early in the day.

I know you used to be able to get tickets up to 3 days early if you were doing a room only stay for part of your trip. Is that still possible with the magic bands? :confused3 I hope so!! If not I'm going to have to change a bunch of stuff. :scared1:

I know you used to be able to get tickets up to 3 days early if you were doing a room only stay for part of your trip. Is that still possible with the magic bands? :confused3 I hope so!! If not I'm going to have to change a bunch of stuff. :scared1:

Google "early ticket pickup with magic bands" There are a few posts asking this same question. Sounds like the answer is yes, but no one could answer whether it affects your magic band, and I read all this weird stuff about not linking your tickets to your mb. I was thinking about trying it but I don't want to start my trip in the unknown zone so we are going to down town disney (which we never do.) hopefully someone who has actually done it will pipe in.

So back from a week of not having an MB, just my Annual Pass. Not impressed. On busy days the FPs were gone early, if you didn't get one pretty much at Rope Drop for a popular ride (like Soarin') you were out of luck for that ride. On less crowded days it was somewhat better. My DD and DGS were there the first few days with MBs and could also get regular FPs with their APs and KTTW cards along with their FP+ -- which added to the problem for others (of course it was fun for them, but they didn't do it much). Then, their last day, DGS lost his band, which they then deactivated -- fortunately he didn't really need it anymore that trip, but lost his little 2013 bling thing as a souvenir. I made an unnecessary trip to Lost and Found the next day to see if it had turned up, and the CM said they get "millions" of them -- and the way I saw kids playing with them (including with their parents' MBs) I'm not surprised. They did seem to be working well for "the kids" in my group, and DD was able to make changes okay with MDX during the trip. I tried wearing one for awhile and didn't care for it, but I guess I can used to it when I have to. Ah, change -- always around and often annoying. (I'm generally an early adopter, but this one I'm not looking forward to).

Google "early ticket pickup with magic bands" There are a few posts asking this same question. Sounds like the answer is yes, but no one could answer whether it affects your magic band, and I read all this weird stuff about not linking your tickets to your mb. I was thinking about trying it but I don't want to start my trip in the unknown zone so we are going to down town disney (which we never do.) hopefully someone who has actually done it will pipe in.

Sorry I've been busy and haven't had a chance to respond to this. We did a split stay at CSR from October 14th to 26th. We did room only from the 14th to 18th then free dining from the 18th to 26th. We had our park passes tied to the second reservation as part of the free dining package. We arrived at MK on the 15th (3 days early). We arrived plenty early because we had an appointment at BBB and in case there were issues. There were issues. They could see our two reservations but could not get them to link together. The CM in guest services spent over a half hour with IT trying to sort it out. We got everything to work eventually together but it took 5 trips to guest services and each visit was about an hour. Moral of the story, you can do it but give yourself plenty of time to straighten out the kinks.

I've managed to just book a good late deal for staying onsite! As this trip is completely unplanned I don't know where to start with finding out if I can get magic bands? I will be staying in all stars, I have an annual pass and the person I'm going with will be buying a ticket separate from the booking. Any help would be appreciated I know the answer must be here somewhere but I just can't seem to find it.

We are just back from four nights at the parks. The magic bands were so bad it was funny. We were a party of four. My DH and I had a room the first night for just the two of us. Nights two and three we were in a one bedroom with two friends and night four just us again. So three different reservations. The four of us received nine bands in total. Needless to say..... Two of us has no issues. My DH - his never worked for the park ticket or charging. Worked once for the rooms. We spent a few hours with Guest relations at the parks and at the hotel. Every one who worked on them said they were fixed.

Now we have reservations for December and it says he has no ticket attached. So I can't pick fast pass times for him!!! I try to add his ticket and it says it's in use!!

It is, and you won't need all of them. Each of the bands will work for your entire trip. We, too, choose different colors each time. It's nice to have wardrobe-matching options. :)

Disney is suggesting that you bring all bands with you during the testing phase, just in case there is an issue.

This is so not true,or at least with our bands we are just back and not all of the bands worked. We had to go to the desk and get them worked on to get them to work. My DH's never worked!!! We spent hours with Guest Services.

We are checking in Jan. 22nd and we just got to customize our bands:cool1:
Now, how many times will I change it before they mail it to us? It's just so hard to choose.:confused:

Really? Wow, I wonder why you can customize yours and I check in the 18th of January and I can't find any link that allows me to customize my bands.

Does anyone know why this might be, or is this pretty common?

This is so not true,or at least with our bands we are just back and not all of the bands worked. We had to go to the desk and get them worked on to get them to work. My DH's never worked!!! We spent hours with Guest Services.

I'm so sorry you had issues. We are here now and have had none whatsoever. We have used them as room keys, for park admission, FP+ redemption and meal/merchandise purchases. DH and I each have multiple bands and all work. We decide each morning which color we want to wear that day and have had no problems.

One note...if you have multiple bands you need to tap them on your resort room lock to activate them. When you go to your room for the first time just use each one to open the door and they will all be activated.

One note...if you have multiple bands you need to tap them on your resort room lock to activate them. When you go to your room for the first time just use each one to open the door and they will all be activated.[/QUOTE]

that is a good tip to know! what if you check in before your room is ready? will your bands work if you head to parks before your room?

AND thank you Mouse Mom for all of your posts! You've spent a great deal of time helping us navigate this confusing process and it is much appreciated :-)

One note...if you have multiple bands you need to tap them on your resort room lock to activate them. When you go to your room for the first time just use each one to open the door and they will all be activated.

that is a good tip to know! what if you check in before your room is ready? will your bands work if you head to parks before your room?

AND thank you Mouse Mom for all of your posts! You've spent a great deal of time helping us navigate this confusing process and it is much appreciated :-)

All bands should work for everything else. You just have to set each one to be able to use it as a room key.

And you're welcome. I'm glad you found the thread helpful. It's actually fun for me to have something new and Disney-related to learn. :)

Really? Wow, I wonder why you can customize yours and I check in the 18th of January and I can't find any link that allows me to customize my bands.

Does anyone know why this might be, or is this pretty common?

I'm going to be at the Fort starting Jan 9 and thought I would have the customize showing up. I called up the internet helpdesk about 30 minutes on hold and talking they said that they trial is only going through Jan 5 at this time. She did say that they are doing some other modifications on Friday so that may extend to trial period for my part of the stay.

I'm going to be at the Fort starting Jan 9 and thought I would have the customize showing up. I called up the internet helpdesk about 30 minutes on hold and talking they said that they trial is only going through Jan 5 at this time. She did say that they are doing some other modifications on Friday so that may extend to trial period for my part of the stay.

We check in on Jan 4 at the Fort. Does this trial mean the bands only work through the 5th or you have to check in by the 5th to use them for your entire trip?

We check in on Jan 4 at the Fort. Does this trial mean the bands only work through the 5th or you have to check in by the 5th to use them for your entire trip?

You only need to have a check-in date on or before the current end of the trial period to get MagicBands. If your reservation is eligible, the MagicBands will continue to function past the current end date.

You only need to have a check-in date on or before the current end of the trial period to get MagicBands. If your reservation is eligible, the MagicBands will continue to function past the current end date.

Thanks! Just when I think I have this magicbands thing figured out another question occurs. And it was such a nightmare doing my FP+ picks, it would have been quite upsetting if it was all for nothing.

I live in Canada, and they "confirmed" my shipping address for our Magic Bands today, and then allowed me to customized the bands. MDE says that the bands will be mailed to us here -- which . . . I dunno. Is that possible? I thought not, but the shipping-address confirmation clearly showed, they know that, yes, we live in a province (not a state) and Canada (not USA). We'll see.

We are arriving at AKL Jambo Villas on Jan. 21 and MDE says I have until Dec. 21 to update/change the customization. So four weeks out from our arrival. (Could this be to allow shipping all the way to Canada?)

My MDE home page has a "PERSONALIZE MAGIC BANDS" button at right, not a "Manage Magic Bands" button. We have not checked in yet, and won't be able to for a few weeks yet.

Note: We are doing a split stay, first at AKL Jambo Villas (via Dave's DVC Request rental) and then at Polynesian via room-only discount rate. Although we have indeed already linked both resort reservations to MDE, we have not been offered a second set of Magic Bands for the Poly portion (as some have reported for split stays); we'll see if that happens.

PS: I'm not able to make FP+ choices yet. I'm still confused about when we'll be allowed to do that.

Bonacker:

Unless they changed something, they won't ship your bands to you because you're a Canuck (well... because you're international).

They should have your customized magic bands for you once you check in at your resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter