Magic Bands 101

I'm interested in hearing an answer for this too. We too have colored/modified wrist bands that we got on our last trip that we want to use for our upcoming trip. I'm hoping we don't get the boring grey bands too.

As I said, you can wear any bands you have and they will work. However, why not go in and customize your new ones so you can have different colors?

As I said, you can wear any bands you have and they will work. However, why not go in and customize your new ones so you can have different colors?

Yea, we meant to do this and every time I tried to go in and do it for about a week straight when I remembered - it would crash the MDE website. Sadly I just forgot and boom, up showed the gray ones. C'est la vie.

Thanks for the answer. Great to know!

Yea, we meant to do this and every time I tried to go in and do it for about a week straight when I remembered - it would crash the MDE website. Sadly I just forgot and boom, up showed the gray ones. C'est la vie.

Thanks for the answer. Great to know!

It helps me to think of MagicBands as duplicate keys to the same house. As long as they are linked in MDX (and the battery hasn't died), any will work to open the door.

It helps me to think of MagicBands as duplicate keys to the same house. As long as they are linked in MDX (and the battery hasn't died), any will work to open the door.

To the point re: battery... Am I right that only the longer-distance functionality depends on the battery?

I'm imagining how it might get a tad... interesting when MBs celebrate their 2-3yr anniversary and these batteries start dying... "WHERE ARE MY MEMORY MAKER RIDE PICS?!?"

To the point re: battery... Am I right that only the longer-distance functionality depends on the battery?

I'm imagining how it might get a tad... interesting when MBs celebrate their 2-3yr anniversary and these batteries start dying... "WHERE ARE MY MEMORY MAKER RIDE PICS?!?"

That is basically true. However, whether Disney would allow a Magic Band with no long-range capability is another story.

If you are really interested in the inner workings of the Magic Band, check out this "MagicBand tear-down". Some interesting comments at the end of the article too.

http://atdisneyagain.com/2014/01/27/making-the-band-magicband-teardown-and-more/

I hope I explain this correctly and someone can help since I've never used MBs before...

We have a FD package reservation for 4 nights next month.
I also have a separate room-only reservation for the same resort for the night before our package (flying in that night, no parks or anything).

I will attempt to keep the same room for both reservations however I understand that my MB for my room-only reservation will be room key for that night.

Now, once our package starts, can I continue to use the room-only reservation bands, or will I need to switch to the bands I'm being asked to customize for the package?

Turk February said:
I hope I explain this correctly and someone can help since I've never used MBs before...

We have a FD package reservation for 4 nights next month.
I also have a separate room-only reservation for the same resort for the night before our package (flying in that night, no parks or anything).

I will attempt to keep the same room for both reservations however I understand that my MB for my room-only reservation will be room key for that night.

Now, once our package starts, can I continue to use the room-only reservation bands, or will I need to switch to the bands I'm being asked to customize for the package?

I thought I had an answer,but now not so sure.sorry for the interruption.

I should add that both sets of bands are linked to the same MDE account and all tickets and reservations are in the same MDE account.

I hope I explain this correctly and someone can help since I've never used MBs before... We have a FD package reservation for 4 nights next month. I also have a separate room-only reservation for the same resort for the night before our package (flying in that night, no parks or anything). I will attempt to keep the same room for both reservations however I understand that my MB for my room-only reservation will be room key for that night. Now, once our package starts, can I continue to use the room-only reservation bands, or will I need to switch to the bands I'm being asked to customize for the package?

All the MBs will work for you. They link directly to your MDE account where all the data is stored. Once your package begins, the room-only and package MBs will access all that data.

There are five of us (adults) staying in an A of A suite next weekend. Question: can we each link a card to our magic bands and be responsible for our own charges? Or will they only charge to a singular card tied to the room?

There are five of us (adults) staying in an A of A suite next weekend. Question: can we each link a card to our magic bands and be responsible for our own charges? Or will they only charge to a singular card tied to the room?

Technically, yes you can do this. In reality, the results have varied. Some people reported it works fine, but some have had lots of mix-ups. It is suggested that you check your charges at the front desk a time or two during your trip to make sure it is working properly.

We shared a two bedroom villa with family last year. Their 2 MB's had their cc # attached & our two MB's had our cc # attached. All of their charges showed up on our bill though so as a pp said, if you do this, you'll want to check your charges at the front desk everyday to make sure they are charging correctly.

I see. Can the front desk at least print out a list of charges per magic band? Or no? Wishful thinking? Lol

Wrapping up our week here and we have 10 huge thumbs up for the magic bands! Worked like a charm everywhere! It was especially nice not to have to dig cards out of backpacks while wearing ponchos!!

The only issue is with the way Disney charges and the $1500 limit. We prepaid our whole room but they still put on the total for each night as part of your $1500 ( which we didn't realize,) so we were shopping and they told us we were over our credit limit. Thank goodness we had cash with us!

Glad you had a great time:yay:

I'm just a little concerned about using the CC for our charges.
We have our Disney Visa attached to our MDE. We would like to get our points:)
Will we have this same problem as you did when we go to charge during our stay with the $1500 limit. Our room is about $300 a nite so certainly if you add it up it will be over the limit.
Why would they put your hotel room as a charge for each night when you pay in full in advance. :confused3

Thanx for your help

How and when can you set up your MB as a resort credit card?

My answer is likely in this lengthy thread already. I did a search but didn't find an answer in the first dozen posts returned and I didn't have the patience to keep digging. :guilty:

Thanks in advance!

How and when can you set up your MB as a resort credit card? My answer is likely in this lengthy thread already. I did a search but didn't find an answer in the first dozen posts returned and I didn't have the patience to keep digging. :guilty: Thanks in advance!

Your credit card information is attached to your room reservation. It can be added during online check-in and re-confirmed when you physically check-in.

Whenever you use your MB as payment, the amount is charged to your room account and the balance is then applied to your credit card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter