Magic band + falling off?

We have annual passes and have been going several times a year for years. I have had all 3 types of magic bands. Neither my husband nor I have never had one fall off until this past week. We both got the magic band plus for this past trip. My husbands popped off one day while putting his book bag on and someone behind him saw it and caught his attention. Mine fell off while putting bags in the trunk of the car after shopping at the character warehouse. I thought it was completely lost, but my husband found it when we got back to the hotel. I think it is because the face of the band is so large it does not fit well against the wrist and catches more easily on things. I will be looking for something to help it say on before we go back next month.

I just returned yesterday from WDW and have a public service announcement about Magic Bands.

First….Due to my Magic Band ripping off my wrist during Rockin Rollercoaster (the force of the air blew it right off) I encourage everyone to purchase an item like below (I almost bought this on Amazon and then decided not to - I wish I did now), or removing it before going on any type of ride/rollercoaster that you would raise your arms on.

WDW will hopefully mail it back to me since I know exactly where I lost it, but it won’t be for a few weeks, which is ok, I don’t need it anymore.

IMG_0997.jpeg

Second….if you have an Apple Watch, it will do everything your Magic Band does. I found this out after my Magic Band blew off. Now that I know this, I will never buy another Magic Band for me again. The Apple Watch doesn’t coordinate to the fireworks, light up at rides or make the gold statues talk, but I don’t care. My DD19 enjoys the Magic Bands features, so I will continue to buy one for her.

I hope this public service announcement helps you 🙂

You actually don't even need an Apple Watch to use MagicMobile (but I agree, having the watch is more convenient than having to pull out a phone)! One thing I'd add, though: I've had clients struggle with MagicMobile when service is slow, so I always tell folks who are planning to use the app that they might want to pop by the front desk of their resort when they arrive and pick up Key to the World Cards as a backup. Also, MagicMobile can be a battery-drainer, so be sure to always have a charger handy (or again, this could be where those backup Cards come in).

apple watch doesn't work if you have to manage multiple accounts. I had everyone passes on my account and my husband couldn't use his apple watch for his own tickets without setting up his own MDE, transferring tickets and making it complicated. meanwhile, i connected magicbands without any problems and kids were set. So, caveat is - apple watch is great for individual accounts or those not part of a big family group or for the main account holder. not so great for managing a family. If multiple apple watches can be connected to one MDE account same as we connect magic bands now, that will be great! but I asked guest services and they said that's not possible to do at this time.
I also tried to use my phone for party of 5 - i was seriously holding up the line swiping then moving to the next card, doing it again, etc...i gave up and just used cards. that was much easier than using my phone for a party of 5.
cost aside, magicbands are faster and easier. weather they are worth the cost is the question for everyone individually.

You actually don't even need an Apple Watch to use MagicMobile (but I agree, having the watch is more convenient than having to pull out a phone)! One thing I'd add, though: I've had clients struggle with MagicMobile when service is slow, so I always tell folks who are planning to use the app that they might want to pop by the front desk of their resort when they arrive and pick up Key to the World Cards as a backup. Also, MagicMobile can be a battery-drainer, so be sure to always have a charger handy (or again, this could be where those backup Cards come in).
I agree - I did do this as a backup just in case there would be some type of problem with the watch. I was showed how to use my phone too, but I never needed it because I had my watch.

I agree about the having a portable charger with you, along with your watch charger cord to give your watch a little juice during some down time, like during a meal. Just remember that you need to take that portable charger out of your bag at security before you walk through the metal detector so your bag doesn't have to be searched. I always carry two chargers with me and keep one in it's own baggie to easily grab and carry through the metal detector when it's time to do that. This happens in front of every theme park and before you get on the monorail.

Mine doesn't stay on as well as the others, and I swear they changed where the tear off was to make the band smaller. My MB2s I could get reasonably tight but if it felt too tight I could loosen it and still have it be tight. The MB+, I have no wiggle room, and I think it's because the face is that much bigger.

FWIW- I don't care for the Magic Band + we got before our trip. Paid up for a Walt and Mickey band.
These new bands seem stiffer, do not conform well to my wrist. The stiffer(cheaper?) plastic used makes the band pop easily. A slider will prevent this, but for the additional $ for the cute designs they should work at least as well as the older bands.

apple watch doesn't work if you have to manage multiple accounts. I had everyone passes on my account and my husband couldn't use his apple watch for his own tickets without setting up his own MDE, transferring tickets and making it complicated. meanwhile, i connected magicbands without any problems and kids were set. So, caveat is - apple watch is great for individual accounts or those not part of a big family group or for the main account holder. not so great for managing a family. If multiple apple watches can be connected to one MDE account same as we connect magic bands now, that will be great! but I asked guest services and they said that's not possible to do at this time.
I also tried to use my phone for party of 5 - i was seriously holding up the line swiping then moving to the next card, doing it again, etc...i gave up and just used cards. that was much easier than using my phone for a party of 5.
cost aside, magicbands are faster and easier. weather they are worth the cost is the question for everyone individually.
For decades, the single MDE account approach worked great for us. But as things got more complicated technically and Disney used MDE for more and more, we finally made the call to Disney support and got our individual accounts separated. We mostly needed it for the new DVC digital 'blue card' requirement, since my wife and I are both owners, but she couldn't prove ownership without her own account. It took IT about 10 minutes to split the accounts and link us in F&F. Now we have the same ability to manage the 2 of us during a vacation, or a group, but we can also do things individually - like DVC ownership, tickets, MBs, MobileMagic, etc. Just something to consider, unless the MBs (or cards) work fine for you. I'm not sure you'll ever see multiple MagicMobile accesses to a single account. That's not really how the tech is designed now, and there's already a way to do it with individual accounts.

Yeah, they do pop off easily. We finally bought some last weekend at Disneyland since we have a WDW trip coming up. Mine popped off 3 times and my younger son's popped off once.

I already ordered some of those bitbelts.

We have all our old magicbands. In comparing them, the + ones are made of a slippery plastic material. They aren't the same silicone type rubbery material that the older ones are. I prefer the older ones, personally.

We have annual passes and have been going several times a year for years. I have had all 3 types of magic bands. Neither my husband nor I have never had one fall off until this past week. We both got the magic band plus for this past trip. My husbands popped off one day while putting his book bag on and someone behind him saw it and caught his attention. Mine fell off while putting bags in the trunk of the car after shopping at the character warehouse. I thought it was completely lost, but my husband found it when we got back to the hotel. I think it is because the face of the band is so large it does not fit well against the wrist and catches more easily on things. I will be looking for something to help it say on before we go back next month.

This is how my band fell off 3 times. Bags got caught on it.

apple watch is great for individual accounts or those not part of a big family group or for the main account holder. not so great for managing a family. If multiple apple watches can be connected to one MDE account same as we connect magic bands now, that will be great! but I asked guest services and they said that's not possible to do at this time.
You should always set up everyone with individual accounts, then just add everyone to each others friends and family. That way your husband or kids can use there own devices without issues. My wife and I both use our apple watches and my oldest hates wearing things on his wrist so he uses his phone. My youngest likes having the magic band so he gets a new one every trip. My mother in law prefers the magic band but has her magic mobile on her phone as backup.

Will KTTW cards pick up photopass on rides? Thanks!

.if you have an Apple Watch, it will do everything your Magic Band does.
As above, you can tap with KTTW cards or Apple Watch at the end of rides that have the photo tap screens. Unfortunately, neither the KTTW cards nor the Apple Watch will link long-distance photos such as Seven Dwarfs, RnR, etc. For those, you need to have a MB with a functional battery (e.g. a MB2 that isn't too old, or a MB+ that's charged) or a phone with MDE set to use Bluetooth.

I love my Apple Watch, but I make sure I have a functional MB too. I remove the puck and put it in a watchband slider (an internet search for "MB puck holder" will turn up several options) and position that on my Apple watchband in such a way that I can use the MB puck for tap functions, and it links the ride photos too. Best of both worlds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter