Magic - 10 night Eastern Caribbean

We sailed the 8-N Magic Southern Caribbean RT San Juan for under $3200 fare and taxes in a GTY oceanview. Ended up in a great location on Deck 2 Forward.

Booked it ~ a month out.

If this 10N cruise appeals to you, consider keep your calendar clear and watch for a price drop.

$12K is crazy / $600 pp per night?!

The slate of cruises from San Juan last May were bargain priced (for a Disney cruise, at least). That certainly isn't the case this year. Nor would I expect any cruise during peak summer, especially one from PC, to be offered at a steep discount.

Unfortunately, the only true bargain (for a Disney cruise, at least) cruises these days are the repositioning cruises. The low cost is often negated by expensive one-way airfare.

This was my dream cruise. We haven't sailed on the Magic, my favorite ship, since 2006 and I was so excited. I found our old cabin, 7620 and I think it was taken. So I picked 7618 and opened my eyes WIDE when I saw the price for two people. Holy cow. $12,000. I mean, is DCL kidding me? We took our family of five in 2006, two rooms for a total of $8K back then. What has happened. I'm so, so disappointed. I'd love to get back on the Magic for the adult pool, there's been nothing like it since then.
I booked it for around 7k for two in an inside. I'm not sure will actually do it, but I'd much rather cruise on the Magic then the new ships. Do you really need a balcony that bad. What about an Oceanview room?
I do agree the prices are ridiculous.

I booked it for around 7k for two in an inside. I'm not sure will actually do it, but I'd much rather cruise on the Magic then the new ships. Do you really need a balcony that bad. What about an Oceanview room?
I do agree the prices are ridiculous.

Those who need a balcony, need a balcony. Especially if you need alone time.

The more ports on an itinerary, especially in nice weather, the more time opportunity you have to be outside, so window or interior works in your sleeping area.

Balconies are wasted on me.

We sailed the 8-N Magic Southern Caribbean RT San Juan for under $3200 fare and taxes in a GTY oceanview. Ended up in a great location on Deck 2 Forward.

Booked it ~ a month out.

If this 10N cruise appeals to you, consider keep your calendar clear and watch for a price drop.

$12K is crazy / $600 pp per night?!
At $600/ pppn one could go sail The Haven on NCL; Yacht status on MSC or signature series on Princess and get a lot more service

We did our 2023 14-night Hawaii - Sydney DCL cruise in an Oceanview w/a large porthole window on Deck 7 and learned that we don't really need to have a balcony. You can save quite a bit and still have a nice view of the ocean.

Those who need a balcony, need a balcony. Especially if you need alone time.

The more ports on an itinerary, especially in nice weather, the more time opportunity you have to be outside, so window or interior works in your sleeping area.

Balconies are wasted on me.
I like balconies, but it there is an itinerary I really like and it's the only way I can afford is in a inside than an inside it is.

The slate of cruises from San Juan last May were bargain priced (for a Disney cruise, at least). That certainly isn't the case this year. Nor would I expect any cruise during peak summer, especially one from PC, to be offered at a steep discount.

Unfortunately, the only true bargain (for a Disney cruise, at least) cruises these days are the repositioning cruises. The low cost is often negated by expensive one-way airfare.
A couple days ago we just booked the 6-nt cruise from San Juan Nov 15 sailing for only $3200 for 2 adults in a Cat 5C verandah. This is with OBB discount. It's not a super interesting itinerary but when we just want some time to relax on a ship without breaking the bank, it will do.

A couple days ago we just booked the 6-nt cruise from San Juan Nov 15 sailing for only $3200 for 2 adults in a Cat 5C verandah. This is with OBB discount. It's not a super interesting itinerary but when we just want some time to relax on a ship without breaking the bank, it will do.

Good price but last spring, San Juan was selling for "cheap." We did the 8-night with 2 adults & 2 teens for $3,800 ocean. Guarantee rate (not the Disney+ rate). For comparison's sake, removing the teens (about $800 each including taxes+fees) and changing to a balcony ($300 upgrade total, but no rooms that held four people were available) would've made it $2,500-$2,600. For an 8-night Southern Caribbean itinerary visiting the ABC islands.

More ship capacity in service but less discounts this year.

At $600/ pppn one could go sail The Haven on NCL; Yacht status on MSC or signature series on Princess and get a lot more service
Just to compare, we just booked an inside room for a 12-Night Princess Northern European Capitals Cruise for 2025 for 3 people, all 3 with Princess Plus (that includes Gratuities, WiFi, 2 upcharge dining, and Drinks Package) for a total of $6,375. That's about $177 pppn inclusive of gratuities, drinks package and more.

Take out the Princess Plus and it's $117 per person per night.

Now, I love me some Disney as well, but not at $600 pppn...

Good price but last spring, San Juan was selling for "cheap." We did the 8-night with 2 adults & 2 teens for $3,800 ocean. Guarantee rate (not the Disney+ rate). For comparison's sake, removing the teens (about $800 each including taxes+fees) and changing to a balcony ($300 upgrade total, but no rooms that held four people were available) would've made it $2,500-$2,600. For an 8-night Southern Caribbean itinerary visiting the ABC islands.

Wow, that is a good price!
All of their cruises are much higher this year and next year's cruise prices are in the stratosphere.
I love DCL but increasing prices so quickly is going leave a lot of loyal returning guests out of the picture. I know they love getting new cruisers because they're the ones buying all the souvenirs, photos, etc. but they have a huge fan base that they should not be alienating.

Wow, that is a good price!
All of their cruises are much higher this year and next year's cruise prices are in the stratosphere.
I love DCL but increasing prices so quickly is going leave a lot of loyal returning guests out of the picture. I know they love getting new cruisers because they're the ones buying all the souvenirs, photos, etc. but they have a huge fan base that they should not be alienating.

Just doing a quick search, of the cruises available for sale, over 50% of them are 4-nights or less. About 20% are 5-nights. About 5% are 6-night and 20% are 7-night. About 5% are 8-nights or longer.... most all these are repositioning cruises, some are very pricy extended European. There's a 9-day Alaska this year, 8-day Alaska next year and 10-day Caribbean (from PC) this and next year.

Extended cruises have seen the largest growth in the industry in recent years, but not at Disney. Look at Carnival: 20% are 4-nights or less, 25% are 5- and 6-nights (split evenly), 15% are 7-nights and 40% are 8-nights or longer.

Pretty clear that the high cost of DCL limits most people to shorter cruises. Unless there's a recession, I don't expect that to change -- DCL will continue to chase the shorter cruises which are more practical for its base and yield higher revenues.

Pretty clear that the high cost of DCL limits most people to shorter cruises. Unless there's a recession, I don't expect that to change -- DCL will continue to chase the shorter cruises which are more practical for its base and yield higher revenues.
Which is interesting, because they longer cruises are a better value per night than shorter cruises. Yes, I know that's a different comparison that total cost, and longer cruises usually do cost more overall than shorter ones. But longer ones get you better bang for your buck, if you can afford them.

Which is interesting, because they longer cruises are a better value per night than shorter cruises. Yes, I know that's a different comparison that total cost, and longer cruises usually do cost more overall than shorter ones. But longer ones get you better bang for your buck, if you can afford them.

I'm with you, but for a family of four, a 7-night cruise will add $2K-$3K, on average, compared to a 4-night cruise. Obviously not a small amount for most people. From reading these forums, it's pretty clear that these are dream, not regular, vacations for many people. I always focus on value proposition -- I think it's silly to do a 4-night cruise, stay at the Hyatt Orlando airport, then travel to WDW for one-night and drop $1,500+ on a Deluxe hotel, park tickets and a meal. IMO, it's much better to focus on a more economical hotel (vs. the Hyatt), save WDW for next time (when you get discounted multiday tickets and can better enjoy the experience) and go for the extra two or three nights on the ship. But that's just me...

We did the 8 night to ABC islands first one out of dry dock- never again will I sail first sailing out of dry dock.

@Calantha @auntlynne and i did a trip report for it. It was cheap but it had its fair share of issues in board.

That being said everything this year and into 2025 seems to have risen in price significantly.

DCL prices are quickly becoming unattainable for many families... on the other hand other cruise lines have decreased quality to offset increased costs and increase profitability....

so where it all goes, who knows... my guess is if a recession happens, DCL will cut costs but also service/staffing levels to be more in line with cruise lines like RCL...

I also don't get the sense that DCL feels the need to chase repeat cruisers, they seem to almost prefer the once or twice in a lifetime client...

DCL prices are quickly becoming unattainable for many families... on the other hand other cruise lines have decreased quality to offset increased costs and increase profitability....

so where it all goes, who knows... my guess is if a recession happens, DCL will cut costs but also service/staffing levels to be more in line with cruise lines like RCL...

I also don't get the sense that DCL feels the need to chase repeat cruisers, they seem to almost prefer the once or twice in a lifetime client...
The day DCL makes me hand over my room key to sign out a pool towel, with a charge of $20 each if not returned to the desk, I'm done with them! :headache::mad:

I think new versus repeat cruisers has a lot to do with $. “Soft sales,” add-ons beyond cruise fare.

I am an example of that. Repeater. Don’t buy souvenirs, photos, am willing to book my own excursions now (not always, but never did for a long time). I get a free meal at Palo.

I can book cruise fare early in booking window - often at the lower rate. Cruise itineraries are often not “must do’s” so may be willing to wait and see if I can pick up a deal on a sailing I might not have considered.

The “Disney bubble” is not so big a draw, so I may forgo DCL transfers or expand my vacation with a Disney resort stay.

And I remember the old pricing as being okay. More than the big lines, but not crazy. Three adults, 3-N Bahamian for under $500, April. I can’t bring myself to pay Wish prices yet. But new cruisers do; they don’t have the same cost history.

The day DCL makes me hand over my room key to sign out a pool towel, with a charge of $20 each if not returned to the desk, I'm done with them! :headache::mad:
Do most other cruise lines do this? We've only sailed DCL, but recently stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge and having to check out towels was such a turn off for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter