Lunch on HS day--walk to the Dolphin?

RKT15

Earning My Ears
So, I gather that the QS options at HS are subpar. It's even more complicated for us, because we are vegetarians (who eat fish), so even more limited. We're not looking for fancy meals this trip, but also don't want to eat pizza for 5 days (husband is low carb, etc). We're going in August, which will be hot. But not sure what to do for lunch on our HS day. We could make it work, we're not picky, but I was looking at the menu at the Fountain at the Dolphin, and it looked like it would work for us.

The kids are 7 and 9, so need to be mindful of their limits in the heat.

My questions are: how far a walk is the Dolphin to HS? And how is the food at the Fountain?

So, I gather that the QS options at HS are subpar. It's even more complicated for us, because we are vegetarians (who eat fish), so even more limited. We're not looking for fancy meals this trip, but also don't want to eat pizza for 5 days (husband is low carb, etc). We're going in August, which will be hot. But not sure what to do for lunch on our HS day. We could make it work, we're not picky, but I was looking at the menu at the Fountain at the Dolphin, and it looked like it would work for us.

My questions are: how far a walk is the Dolphin to HS? And how is the food at the Fountain?

Can't speak to the quality of food at the Fountain. I have not eaten there but from what I've read it seems passable as a QS. The walk will take about 15 - 20 minutes. Given that it will likely be warm a slow pace would likely be warranted. You can always take the boat instead. May take longer but it may be a better option in the heat.

I'd really recommend sci-fi if you can get a reservation, I know it's table service, but it's very casual and reasonably priced, it's also a really good place to cool down and a really awesome atmosphere for kids. I think it would be a much better option than leaving the park.
I've just checked and they have some good fish/vegetarian options. My 8 year old loved it there.

I'd really recommend sci-fi if you can get a reservation, I know it's table service, but it's very casual and reasonably priced, it's also a really good place to cool down and a really awesome atmosphere for kids. I think it would be a much better option than leaving the park.
I've just checked and they have some good fish/vegetarian options. My 8 year old loved it there.
Thanks! I just checked out the menu, and you are absolutely right--that would be a great option. I don't mind paying for TS if I can keep the cost reasonable and it seems like it would be part of making eating at Disney an experience (I am thinking of the Skipper Canteen at Magic Kingdom for the same reasons). The kids would love it. And fried pickles! I think I am sold.

I would not advise a 20 min walk in the sun when temps are starting to peak, just for lunch. If you are leaving for the day, maybe. The boats take longer, but they're air-conditioned.

For QS, Starring Rolls has a salad, sushi, and a veggie sandwich and is often the favorite of Dis-ers. ABC Commissary has a salad and salmon (kid's salmon, too).

I would not advise a 20 min walk in the sun when temps are starting to peak, just for lunch. If you are leaving for the day, maybe. The boats take longer, but they're air-conditioned.

For QS, Starring Rolls has a salad, sushi, and a veggie sandwich and is often the favorite of Dis-ers. ABC Commissary has a salad and salmon (kid's salmon, too).

My memory could be foggy but I don't recall there being ac on the boats.

Honestly I hate taking away park time by traveling elsewhere to eat, especially with kids. We have never had issues with eating at DHS, I'd rather eat there than MK.

Look at the Commissary. My DM's DH who is very picky about food really enjoyed the Salmon. They also offer a nice salad and a salad with Salmon. Also comes in child meal sizes.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/hollywood-studios/abc-commissary/menus/dinner/

Our favorite is Sci Fi because it is probably the best themed restaurant at Disney. They would have several options for you.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/hollywood-studios/sci-fi-dine-in-theater/menus/

Rosie's All American Cafe has some nice choices; a Fried Green Tomato Sandwich
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/hollywood-studios/rosies-all-american-cafe/menus/

Mama Melrose has several appetizers, flatbreads and several entrees that could work
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/hollywood-studios/mama-melrose-ristorante-italiano/menus/

Starring Rolls also has some choices
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/hollywood-studios/starring-rolls-cafe/menus/lunch/

I'm kinda a food snob and won't eat QS at DHS, or anywhere but Brown Derby, and its decent enough. The lounge attached to it is quite good though, very reasonably priced and lots of pescaterian options.

Also at the Dolphin, for lunch, is Cabana's, which actually has pretty great food, pretty cheap, and the atmosphere with the couches and alcoves is very pleasant. Tons of pescaterian options. Its one of the reasons I love the Swolphin so much, the pool bar/food is really suprerior to everything else on property, although the bar at the YC/BC does a darn fine job.

And the walk to Dolphin is easy and mostly shaded. I've never been with anyone that thought it was anything, and you can finish a drink on the way back:) I'm not one who has to maximize park hours though - but I am one that thinks like is far too short to eat mediocre food.

As much as I dislike food in most Parks, I do not recommend a back-n-forth to a Resort just to eat.

This notion is compounded when traveling with 'youngish' children (my daughter turns 8 y.o. soon).

This notion is further compounded in the summer heat.

Sci-Fi is comparable cost to either Fountain & Cabana (Cabana does have superior food, but then you'd be eating outdoors in August).

We're also a family of vegetarians (no fish either) and we haven't had too much trouble finding things to eat at any of the parks.

At DHS, we've had good meals at Mama Melrose for TS and Backlot Express for QS (although the menu has changed since the last time we were there). We also usually end up at the QS on Sunset Blvd because we can pick up things from more than one window and then all sit together to eat.

This year we're going to try Sci-Fi at my older DD's request. We'll probably end up just sharing some apps and the couple veg entrees. And milkshakes of course.

Honestly I hate taking away park time by traveling elsewhere to eat, especially with kids. We have never had issues with eating at DHS, I'd rather eat there than MK.

Starring Rolls also has some choices
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/hollywood-studios/starring-rolls-cafe/menus/lunch/

I agree with not leaving just for a meal. The choices at HS are not the best but you can find decent options.

If that roasted veggie sandwich is anything like the one they had at Backlot, I'm in!! That was perfectly cooked & seasoned! I even converted my meat loving friend to make it his go-to as well!

The Caprese Sandwich at Backlot Express is pretty good too. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/hollywood-studios/backlot-express/menus/

Bonus for us you can get beer.

The caprese sandwich does sound pretty good! Thanks for the suggestion! :) I'll add it to my list. How is the Sea Dog Sunfish Ale, if you've had the chance yet to try it?

August is sooooo hot and humid... I am a local born and raised, so when I say its hot, humid and miserable.... it is. A lot of visitor don't realize just what the humidity can do to you. So while not a long walk I would skip it during this time of year, and use the boats that run to the hotels in the boardwalk area, even to the back gate of Epcot and England and France are right there so another option.

or

Head back to your resort and grab some lunch at the QS...then hit the pool for a while, rest maybe even nap... then head back out in the evening during that time of year the parks are open super late so you can recharge before you hit the parks again. For my family this is the way we tour during the summer months.

On a side bar, plan on drinking 2 to 3 times the water you normally drink, with Gatorade, or any sports drink that replenishes your electrolytes, is a must. Also with kiddos know the signs of dehydration. They can get dehydrated very quickly. We decided to go to BOG on the 4th of July, for dinner, and fireworks.. Getting out of the park was a awful... we waited for about 40 minutes after the fireworks before we tried to leave, There was a boy about 10 that had passed out, the monorails were all stopped to get him on the other side of the track to get him to a ambulance, there was a little girl about 6 or 7 in front of us, I told my DH that she did not look good, then she started vomiting which is a sign of dehydration, and could not keep her eyes open so another medical team was called, the first question was how much water has she been drinking, the mom was like I don't know she was sharing a drink with me, They got them out of line, and start fluid replacement right away. They had to take her to the hospital as well.

We went in August last year. I would not recommend the walk during the peak heat of the day. We took the boat from DHS to go to lunch on the boardwalk. The ride was pleasant and it was fun to see the resorts from the water. I don't know if I would bother if we were just going back to the park, however. Seems like a lot of wasted travel time.

Thanks! I think we will find something to eat at HS---lots of great suggestions on this thread. I like the idea of Sci-Fi for the theming but now I feel like I have some other choices. I agree that going back and forth will be a lot. We're staying at BC, so have other opportunities for the food there.

Thanks! I think we will find something to eat at HS---lots of great suggestions on this thread. I like the idea of Sci-Fi for the theming but now I feel like I have some other choices. I agree that going back and forth will be a lot. We're staying at BC, so have other opportunities for the food there.

Good choice. Have you vacationed in Fl during the summer? It can be brutal so, if you aren't park commandos, the suggestion of an afternoon break to cool off and rehydrate is an excellent one. We'll be there in June and have planned afternoon breaks most days. The few times we'll be out and about, we're going to take advantage of the "boring" rides and shows in the A/C. Carousel of Progress is a favorite of my oldest. She gets her ride and the rest of us will enjoy the A/C! Anyway, it's something to have in your back pocket if you see your kids struggling.

We live on the other side of the Gulf and basically hibernate toward the end of the summer. "Real-feel" temp is no joke.

Good choice. Have you vacationed in Fl during the summer? It can be brutal so, if you aren't park commandos, the suggestion of an afternoon break to cool off and rehydrate is an excellent one. We'll be there in June and have planned afternoon breaks most days. The few times we'll be out and about, we're going to take advantage of the "boring" rides and shows in the A/C. Carousel of Progress is a favorite of my oldest. She gets her ride and the rest of us will enjoy the A/C! Anyway, it's something to have in your back pocket if you see your kids struggling.

We live on the other side of the Gulf and basically hibernate toward the end of the summer. "Real-feel" temp is no joke.

No, but I do a lot of work in Florida and have been warned. :) Our plan for the trip is "get out early, get back to hotel by early-mid afternoon, go out again." this is why we a) got park hoppers, for more evening flexibility and b) are staying at the BC, with a great pool and easy access to Epcot. The last full day of our trip is the first day of F&W, and our evening plan is "walk over the epcot and eat", rather than try and do anything in the heat of the day. And we really did make a good pool a priority. Early to bed, early to rise, figure out where the A/C is!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter