Luggage/ flight question.. anyone know

vicb224

Mouseketeer
... how much water/ Gatorade bottles weigh 50 pounds or less?
Since we get to check 2 bags free I thought bringing that in one whole suitcase would save me some $$ on garden grocer.
Is that crazy? Lol

A gallon of water at room temperature weighs about 8.34 pounds, plus the weigh of the container.

Considering the extremes of temperature and pressure a cargo hold can experience, you could end up with a mess. Consider that thinge like containers of shampoo and such often leak in checked baggage, depending on the container they are in, how full they are filled, etc.

And, you have to haul it, including lifting (even if it is just onto the conveyor at checkin).

FWIW, we buy water and ginger ale from Garden Grocer (nowhere near 50 lb worth) and then haul it carry-on onto our cruise. More than enough hauling of heavy liquids for us.

SW

Just get them delivered.

If you insist on packing them, please, please make sure you double (or triple) bag them and pad them very well with clothing. Do not just put a bunch of bottles in a suitcase by themselves. If those bottles burst, they will likely ruin the contents of several peoples' suitcases.

Well, 1 pound = 16 oz. It will depend on how many oz. per bottle.

While you are close, you are confusing the two ways that "ounces" is used. The ounces listed on a bottle are not a measure of weight, but of volume. So, for example, while 16 liquid ounces of water weighs 1.04 pounds, 16 liquid ounces of molasses weighs 1.49 pounds. http://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/food-volume-to-weight

OP, yes, I think that taking all of that liquid on a plane is crazy. Too much risk of it leaking.

Just get them delivered.

If you insist on packing them, please, please make sure you double (or triple) bag them and pad them very well with clothing. Do not just put a bunch of bottles in a suitcase by themselves. If those bottles burst, they will likely ruin the contents of several peoples' suitcases.
Didn't think of that. :(

in many cases, if people like flavored water type drinks, you can easily pack those little packets that you add to water for the same idea.... and ice water is free for the asking everywhere at disney..... or just order a case for delivery it will be much easier

If you decide to pack them, place them in your luggage and just weight the entire filled luggage to see how much it weighs. You have to take into accounts how heavy the luggage is before you even place the items in it. I have some luggage that is slightly heavier than others so the same items in each bag have a different overall weight.

I wouldn't pack a ton of bottles in my luggage. Too much of a chance of them being broken as they are tossed around, and other bags placed on top. One time I brought 5 bottles of Mountain Dew with me, but I triple zip lock bagged them, and put my clothes around them.

While you are close, you are confusing the two ways that "ounces" is used. The ounces listed on a bottle are not a measure of weight, but of volume. So, for example, while 16 liquid ounces of water weighs 1.04 pounds, 16 liquid ounces of molasses weighs 1.49 pounds. http://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/food-volume-to-weight

OP, yes, I think that taking all of that liquid on a plane is crazy. Too much risk of it leaking.

The OP did specifically talk about water/gatorade...so 1 lb/16 oz is a pretty good approximation.

Order it from Staples.com, Costco, or Samsclub.com

You should get free shipping. I know for Staples, you get free shipping after spending $15 (instead of $50) if you are a Rewards card member. It's free to sign up for their rewards card.

Two cases of water will be $15 so voila!

Amazon says that the shipping weight of a 32 pack of 16.9oz Dasani waters is 40 lbs.

There is no way in the world I would pack that in my suitcase, even with two free checked bags on Southwest. There's too much chance of it making a huge mess in your suitcases and those of the other people on your flight.

Order it from Staples or Amazon, buy a case in the resort gift shop, or have Garden Grocer deliver it.

In the past I've brought juice boxes, but I multi-bagged them and but them in a cardboard box in the suitcase surrounded by clothes. I agree that having something shipped when you're looking at a full case makes sense. But I only needed 8 juice boxes -- too little to be worth shipping, still more than I'd like to pay in the gift shop, and small enough to fit in the suitcase with other stuff. But, even with that and some dry groceries like Pop Tarts, the weight was noticeably different going down to Orlando than coming back. The food stuff adds up in weight faster than clothes.

The OP did specifically talk about water/gatorade...so 1 lb/16 oz is a pretty good approximation.

While approximate is fine when you are talking about 50 pounds of something going by the bottle weight in FL OZ and comparing that to OZ can bring you to a few pound difference. 16OZ of water does weight slightly more than 16oz of pancake mix. When you talk about mix items such as Gatorade which has other additives the difference is more. a gallon of water weights 8.33 to 8.34 pounds depending in where you get the answer from and contains 128.000128 ounces if you divide 128.00028 ounces by 16 dry ounces you get 8.000175 pounds so just in that amount of water only you have 1/3 of a pound difference.. when you talk about 50 pounds it is pounds difference.. and a big airline overweight fee.

in many cases, if people like flavored water type drinks, you can easily pack those little packets that you add to water for the same idea.... and ice water is free for the asking everywhere at disney..... or just order a case for delivery it will be much easier
And Gatorade comes in powdered form too.

While approximate is fine when you are talking about 50 pounds of something going by the bottle weight in FL OZ and comparing that to OZ can bring you to a few pound difference. 16OZ of water does weight slightly more than 16oz of pancake mix. When you talk about mix items such as Gatorade which has other additives the difference is more. a gallon of water weights 8.33 to 8.34 pounds depending in where you get the answer from and contains 128.000128 ounces if you divide 128.00028 ounces by 16 dry ounces you get 8.000175 pounds so just in that amount of water only you have 1/3 of a pound difference.. when you talk about 50 pounds it is pounds difference.. and a big airline overweight fee.

I don't mean to argue, but it is pretty clear that the OP wasn't trying to get an exact weight.

For all of your points, the weight of the bottle is more of a factor, so giving me weights down to millionths of a pound is a tad overkill. Particularly when the scales at the airport are to half pound increments.

Sometimes estimations are good enough. In this case, for OP's purposes, 16 oz of Gatorade is ABOUT one pound.

The weight of the suitcase is the biggest factor in all of this.

I wouldn't pack that amount of liquid. I always put all my liquids in ziplock bags. There will always be one bottle, either shampoo, hair spray, sunblock, etc, that ends up leaking during the flight. It's too risky.

That's pretty......insane. Just ship it from amazon or something. Would an airline even allow that? I've had an entire bottle of hairspray spray all.over my clothes on a flight from ca to hawaii. All my clothes were covered in a sticky mess. Good thing it was contained to my bag only and I was visiting my sister and was able to wash all my clothes. If I picked up my luggage and it was soaked because someone thought it was a good idea to pack gallons and gallons of liquid and that liquid leaked all over everything, I'd be so so so mad.

Good luck with that

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter