Love is “Universal”: Our Awesome Anniversary Adventures in Orlando (May 2015 TR)

We have a Red Robin in Louisville that I am dying to try! Hubs has eaten there before and said that it is good! I guess you get unlimited fries (??) which would be a great thing for our bottomless pits.. I mean, our children. Those onion rings look so good! I hated onion rings until I got pregnant with Pod and they were the only thing I wanted to eat. YUM! I also hear that their milkshakes are delicious!

Hubs and I have different ideas of what is spicy also. I used to love spicy but that is something else that changed after having babies.. can't handle too much spice anymore! I am pretty sure that Hubs has eaten jalepeno peppers for breakfast before! LOL!

Shame about the chicken, it's always disappointing when it's not right. The server could have quickly rectified it though if he had tried!

We have a Red Robin in Louisville that I am dying to try! Hubs has eaten there before and said that it is good! I guess you get unlimited fries (??) which would be a great thing for our bottomless pits.. I mean, our children. Those onion rings look so good! I hated onion rings until I got pregnant with Pod and they were the only thing I wanted to eat. YUM! I also hear that their milkshakes are delicious!

Hubs and I have different ideas of what is spicy also. I used to love spicy but that is something else that changed after having babies.. can't handle too much spice anymore! I am pretty sure that Hubs has eaten jalepeno peppers for breakfast before! LOL!

Their milkshakes did look divine :cloud9:....in hindsight, I wish I had given one a try!! Next time :thumbsup2 .

Shame about the chicken, it's always disappointing when it's not right. The server could have quickly rectified it though if he had tried!

And that was the real issue.....Chris was a dud. Seemed like a nice enough young fellow, but not cut out as a server.

We'll give it another go at some point, I'm sure. A different server, different food....probably we'll love it :) .

Tuesday, May 5th: part 1

We were a little more lazy this morning, since we didn’t have any self-imposed rope drop commitments to adhere to. We enjoyed some freshly brewed coffee in bed while we caught up on the activities of our friends back home via Facebook, and generally just lounged around for a while. I would like to say that we slept in, but I think the sun got us up shortly after 7. Those internal clocks are impossible to disable for such short sections of time, regardless of how hard we try.

Eventually, our stomachs started rumbling….especially mine, since dinner the night before had been minimal at best. So we showered, dressed, and headed out the door. It was indeed a good morning for a hearty breakfast at Hash House a Go Go.

It was just after 9 am when we arrived at the restaurant….and the parking lot was virtually empty. Just enough cars for us to be assured that yes, they were open, but definitely not busy. So in we went.

Since there was no one else in the foyer, I had a chance to grab some photos of the lobby area (which I avoided doing when we were there for dinner, as there were several folks milling about at the time). They have a sparkling restored 1949 Massey Ferguson tractor on display:

….along with several framed photos of some of the famous folks who have partaken of the mammoth portions at the various Hash Houses around the country:

I will also note…..when we entered, the first thing I noticed was how clean the restaurant smelled. Yes, smelled. I could detect the faint aroma of bleach in the air, and the whole place was sparkling. What a stark difference from the Waffle House grunge and grime of earlier in the week.

We were seated by a friendly greeter, and promptly attended to by a personable young server who took fabulous care of us throughout the morning meal. She started us off with drinks (coffee for Steve, milk for me) and left us to peruse the extensive menu. Again, it was painfully hard to choose what to eat….for me, anyway. Steve had known what he wanted to try long before we ever arrived.

http://www.hashhouseagogo.com/vegas/menu/

(the link says “Vegas”, but the Orlando menu was identical)

Once our orders were given to our waitress, it wasn’t hardly anytime before our breakfasts emerged from the kitchen….and let me tell you, there should have been chimes and fanfare to hail their arrival at our table. The presentation and sheer size of both entrees was worthy of a royal announcement.
After much consideration, I had chosen the meat loaf platter. I wish this photo did a better job at conveying the sheer SIZE of the food on the plate. It really doesn’t do it justice.

The meatloaf slice was well over an inch thick, and had to be close to a full pound in weight. The griddled potatoes were hidden behind it, and were enough to feed a family of 4. There were at least 3 scrambled eggs, one of their mongo biscuits, and a slice of fruit. Steve and I could have easily split this entrée and both of us would have left full.

Steve picked the infamous chicken and waffles, one of the two house specialties. It was even more ridiculously big than it seemed in the youtube videos.

There were 4 homemade waffles with this entree, each with two thick slices of bacon criss-crossed through the centre. Two mammoth bone-in chicken breasts, sage breaded and deep fried until crispy, were perched on top. Fried leeks and maple syrup finished it off. Between the time we gave our order to our server and the arrival of our food, a few other families had arrived and were currently perusing their menus. There were multiple exclamations of “oh my goodness! Look at that thing!” as Steve’s feast was placed before him.

Once again, there was no sacrifice of quality for quantity, and every single bite was simply delicious. This is going to sound silly, but I would like to know what they did to their eggs….simple, basic, scrambled eggs….because they were the best I’ve ever had. The meatloaf was as good as my mom’s, and the griddled potatoes were the perfect accompaniment. The biscuit was warm and soft and sooooo good. I just wish I could have made more than a small dent in the piles of food that they gave me.

Steve was a bit surprised to find that the chicken was bone-in (I don’t know why, but we both assumed it was boneless) but raved about how flavourful it was. And the waffles??? He devoured them. No lie, every single bite. Near the end, he claimed he thought he might explode….and I worried that that might actually happen! (I wonder if our travel medical insurance covers gluttony? :rolleyes2)

At the end of the meal, once again, we were brought a takeout box without even having to ask. While very little remained of Steve’s platter, there was still a substantial amount of mine (and there was no fear that this wouldn’t get eaten as a midnight snack at some point during the balance of our vacation…..Steve liked my meatloaf so much, he claimed he will probably order that entrée for himself on our next visit…..um, I guess we’ll be coming here again in October!). Our server came over one last time to thank us for visiting, and said that our Travelzoo voucher (we had purchased two before our trip…..$40 value for $20….and used one for dinner on our arrival day, then this second one for breakfast) covered all charges in their entirety. We left another generous tip, and headed for the door with doggy bag in hand.

We hadn’t originally planned to return to the resort before our spin on the Orlando Eye, but we now had a substantial amount of leftovers that required refrigeration….AND, Steve had managed to slop syrup down his t-shirt which warranted a small wardrobe change as a result. So, we zipped back to the Vistana, tossed the take-out bag in the fridge, swapped out Steve’s T, and then headed back up International Drive.

Next up: IDrive 360, and our tour on the Eye!

I think Red Robin has gone down hill recently. It used to be one of my favorite places to go, but now the service is horrible and I will not go back. We went for my little one's 5th birthday, it was not busy. We waited well over an hour for our food, then my fries came out cold and the burger was lukewarm. I was NOT happy. We have been several times this year thinking it was a fluke chance but nope we will not return. I am sure there are some better than others, but this one here needs help.

I think we may try the hash house while we are there, the food looks yummy!

That's too bad about the chicken. At least he took it off your bill, but I know you would have preferred to have dinner instead.

We just ate at Red Robin for the first time this weekend. I had the Original Burger, I forget the name. It was good but it had too much stuff on it. But that was my fault, I should have read the menu and altered it. My husband got some burger with brown sugar on it, and he was not a fan.

Oh my lord that looks good. I'm drooling right now. I will definitely be visiting there a couple times while we are in Orlando. Hopefully I can get a couple of those travelzoo discounts. The nice thing with portions of that size and having a villa is you can make another meal or snack out of the leftovers. I would be lucky to eat half of those portions.

I think Red Robin has gone down hill recently. It used to be one of my favorite places to go, but now the service is horrible and I will not go back. We went for my little one's 5th birthday, it was not busy. We waited well over an hour for our food, then my fries came out cold and the burger was lukewarm. I was NOT happy. We have been several times this year thinking it was a fluke chance but nope we will not return. I am sure there are some better than others, but this one here needs help.

I think we may try the hash house while we are there, the food looks yummy!

Well, boo :( . Sorry to hear your Red Robin experience was less than ideal, too.

There are SO MANY places to eat in Orlando, restaurant managers must know that one bad experience means someone may never give them a second shot. There are so many other options, one strike might be your last. That said, I still haven't ruled out giving Red Robin another try.....someday :rolleyes: .

That's too bad about the chicken. At least he took it off your bill, but I know you would have preferred to have dinner instead.

We just ate at Red Robin for the first time this weekend. I had the Original Burger, I forget the name. It was good but it had too much stuff on it. But that was my fault, I should have read the menu and altered it. My husband got some burger with brown sugar on it, and he was not a fan.

I'm not a big lover of toppings or sauces, so I almost always order a burger plain (and just add my own ketchup). No, I'm not 5, but sometimes, I still eat like a preschooler :laughing: .

Hash House looks good! Glad your meals improved!

:goodvibes Thanks, me too!!!

Oh my lord that looks good. I'm drooling right now. I will definitely be visiting there a couple times while we are in Orlando. Hopefully I can get a couple of those travelzoo discounts. The nice thing with portions of that size and having a villa is you can make another meal or snack out of the leftovers. I would be lucky to eat half of those portions.

lol, I thought of you as I hit the post button :) . I knew you were waiting for that chicken and waffle review! Can't wait to hear what you guys think of Hash House after your trip.

Tuesday, May 5th: part 2

We had eagerly noted the progress on the construction of the massive Orlando Eye on our last trip to Orlando in August 2014. At that time, their opening was estimated for a very vague “Spring 2015” so we weren’t sure if it would be operational for our next vacation in May or not.

When tickets went on presale in March or April, we decided that we wanted the Eye, Sea Life Aquarium and Madame Tussauds to be attractions for the whole family to experience on our next family trip at Christmas time. So, we purchased the 3-attraction combo tickets for a very affordable $35 per person for Christmas week, and those experiences were set to be deferred until the holiday season. With our spring trip falling at the very beginning of May (the 1st to the 8th), we didn’t figure our timing would be such that the Eye would be open during that time anyway.

And then, the Travel Gods smiled upon us, and the Grand Opening of the Orlando Eye was announced for Monday, May 4th. It was like destiny…..to pass by the opportunity to be among the “first to fly” would seem wrong on so many levels. So it was, with great excitement, that we purchased tickets to just the Orlando Eye only (Sea Life and Tussaud’s would still be deferred until our Christmas vacation, much as it pained me to do so!) for Tuesday, May 5th, 2015.

We have rode a very similar attraction in Niagara Falls, Ontario (the Niagara Skywheel) on more than one occasion, however the height of the Skywheel at 175 feet tall is less than half the size of the 400 foot Orlando Eye. We would be interested to see how the two rides compare.

Entry to the Orlando Eye is pre-determined for a specific time (which you select) when tickets are purchased online in advance of your visit. We chose 12 noon, smack dab in the middle of our day, on a date that we planned for “downtime” from the parks. We arrived around 11 am, allowing plenty of time to find parking…..we were unfamiliar with the layout of this new area and wanted to be sure we had enough time to secure a spot and get into the Eye complex before our ride time. It turned out that parking was super easy and surprisingly ample, with the large garage offering a plethora of free (woohoo!) spaces within a stone’s throw of the entrance. Merlin has done an excellent job of catering to guests in this regard.

Since parking was so effortless, we were just about an hour ahead of the time indicated on our tickets, however I asked one of the staff if it was possible to ride earlier. She said it was no problem, that they were not too busy, and allowed us to proceed into the pre-ride area.

After bag check, the first stop was with the Eye photographers, who took a few minutes with each incoming guest to take “magic shots” with a green screen. There were several photo stations set up, so the waits were kept very minimal as the photographers were able to handle multiple families simultaneously.

After photos were taken, we were given 3D glasses and ushered into a room for a short 4-D presentation during which you stand in rows on a graduated platform.

The video, about a little girl who dreams of someday working for NASA, takes you “flying” over most of the major central Florida attractions including the Universal parks, the SeaWorld parks, the beach, the Kennedy Space Center, an orange grove, Legoland, and more. Interestingly enough, there wasn’t a single mention of a Disney in the entire video production.....there wasn't a mouse (nor any iconic Disney landmark...not even the castle) in sight. The film ends with the little girl’s family fulfilling the dream of a vacation in Orlando, complete with a ride on the Orlando Eye.

At the conclusion of the video, we proceeded to the outdoor loading area for the Eye. Staff separated guests into groups of around 12 or slightly less in preparation for loading. The larger family unit who watched the 4D film with our twosome were split into two “pods”, leaving just Steve and I remaining. The staff member apologetically advised us that the rules dictate that a minimum of 3 people must be in each pod for standard tickets, so we would have to wait a few moments until a few more guests arrived out of the next showing of the 4D video.

It was interesting to note that the wheel is constantly moving, even during the loading process. We chatted with the staff members there, and they explained that the only time the Eye is stopped for loading is in the event that there is an individual who requires assistance in boarding or has a disability which presents a safety concern. So, as the wheel moves slowly down to the platform, you hop into one of the moving pods under the direction and supervision of a staff member. Surprisingly, this works rather well and before we knew it, we (and 5 other adults, visitors from the UK) were in our pod and on our way skyward.

Inside the pods, there is a center bench for anyone who wishes (or needs to) sit during the ride. For everyone else, there’s a bar running along the inside glass walls of the pod to hold on while you stand at the glass and watch yourself rising higher and higher in the air. On the Niagara Skywheel (where you sit on benches on either side of the much smaller pods for the duration of the ride, with your back facing the glass and your front facing the people across from you), that initial “lift” gives me a very woozy kind of feeling, and awakens every bit of my fear of heights (I am not ashamed to admit that I suffer from a severe case of acrophobia…..but I was determined not to let that steal away the opportunity to experience this new attraction). On the Eye, however, even standing against the glass holding onto that metal bar with dear life, I felt none of that initial wooziness and had no awakening of my fears whatsoever. This was smooth and wonderful, and the views as we rose were simply spectacular!

As we completed the full rotation, which took between 20 minutes and half an hour, we were able to see for miles despite the partly cloudy conditions. We could see the Orange County Convention Center:

….the SeaWorld parks:

….the Epcot ball off in the distance……

…..the Universal parks and Fun Spot……..

....Downtown Orlando….

…and even just some wonderful panoramas of the countryside.

I glanced over at Steve on more than one occasion, as he HATES the Niagara Skywheel and had agreed to the Eye only because he’s the best darn husband in the world, and he was raptly soaking in the sights from the sky. I inquired, are you okay? to which he happily reported that he was feeling no discomfort whatsoever, and that he was really, really enjoying this attraction. The movement was very smooth, very slow and very steady. Despite the breezy day, there was zero movement of that pod.

One of my favourite photos: the view from the highest point:

All throughout the flight, there was an audio recording of what sights you could see from the various vantage points on the tour, and which direction to look to find them. There was also an interactive tablet in the pod but honestly, I was too busy taking in the sights to see what features the tablet offered.

I was sad to see us approaching the ground, knowing we’d be exiting just a short time soon. I totally would have loved to have gone for a second rotation (and am so happy we get a chance to ride this again in December with the kiddos!). As with the loading, the disembarking is also done as the wheel continues its non-stop rotation.

Once off the Eye, riders exit through a gift shop of assorted Eye merchandise. As you enter the gift shop, photo salespeople are there to try and sell you a package of the pictures taken on the green screen before your ride. The packages are $35 each, include the digital copies of the photos, and the prints come in a little souvenir booklet that has some fun facts about the Orlando Eye and some other related trivia. We took a pass on the pictures, as sadly, Steve had worn a green t-shirt that day, and he ended up being just a head and arms in the photos (his body “disappeared”, and they didn’t have the technology, apparently, to colour him back in).

Standard tickets purchased same day at the Eye complex will run you $25 per adult. Our advance purchase reduced the price to $18 pp. Combo tickets are your best deal, at $35 per person (at the door prices for both Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum and Sea Life Aquarium are both $25 each, if I remember correctly, so the three attraction combo ticket is a substantial savings over day-of pricing). There is also a combo ticket that includes Legoland with the three other attractions, and Merlin will even transport you, free of charge, from the complimentary parking lot at the IDrive 360 complex to Legoland.

The Eye also has special occasion packages that feature various add-ons such as glasses of champagne.

Both Steve and I agreed: we really, really enjoyed this new I-Drive attraction (more, even, than we had expected or hoped to). We thought the advance purchase price was very fair, and the combo ticket price an excellent deal (assuming Sea Life and Tussaud’s don’t disappoint….from the exterior of both, they too look very well done).

Following our spin on the Eye, we had one more attraction to experience before leaving IDrive 360. Make no bones about it, we were intrigued by Orlando’s newest museum.

Coming up…..Skeletons: Animals Unveiled!

Very neat! I have to say, the one thing I will never go on in Orlando is the Eye. I am terrified of heights! :scared: I really don't even know how I get myself into airplanes. I just block it out I think.

Although it sounds like you guys were ok in it. Is the bottom of the pod solid or clear? How long is the ride in total in the pod itself?

I think that's hilarious that there was no mention of Disney at all!

The eye looks good but not sure I would pay out for it this trip having purchased WDW and Universal tickets.

How fantastic Steve won the minion.

We went mid October last year and found crowds very manageable. We were at cabana bay with early entry or got there for opening. As we had a week we just went with the flow and didn't wait for anything. We are back October 14th this year for 10 days Cabana bay. My 9 yr old is potter mad and chose universal not Disney.

The eye looks exactly the same as the London eye which I really enjoyed. I'm currently in hospital in London and can see the London eye from my window.

We saw the Eye when we were there in early April and it is huge!!! Definitely can see it from miles away.

Very impressive winning the Minion...you guys were golden on the strong man games!!!

Very neat! I have to say, the one thing I will never go on in Orlando is the Eye. I am terrified of heights! :scared: I really don't even know how I get myself into airplanes. I just block it out I think.

Although it sounds like you guys were ok in it. Is the bottom of the pod solid or clear? How long is the ride in total in the pod itself?

I think that's hilarious that there was no mention of Disney at all!

The floor of the pod is solid :thumbsup2 . And the whole ride took about 25-30 minutes (though time seemed to pass faster than that).

I am totally freaked out by heights too, and this didn't bother me one bit...honest! As someone who is flying averse, I would much rather have a ride on the Eye than a ride on an airplane ::yes:: .

The eye looks good but not sure I would pay out for it this trip having purchased WDW and Universal tickets.

If you have tickets purchased for the major parks, I don't blame you for giving it a pass this time. Perhaps you'll have a "free day" on a future trip where you have a few hours to burn, and it will be good to fit in then :) .

How fantastic Steve won the minion.

We went mid October last year and found crowds very manageable. We were at cabana bay with early entry or got there for opening. As we had a week we just went with the flow and didn't wait for anything. We are back October 14th this year for 10 days Cabana bay. My 9 yr old is potter mad and chose universal not Disney.

The eye looks exactly the same as the London eye which I really enjoyed. I'm currently in hospital in London and can see the London eye from my window.

So sorry to hear you are under the weather and currently cooped up in the hospital! Sending good thoughts and positive, healing vibes your way pixiedust: .

Great to hear the positive feedback on a mid-October visit. How did you find the weather then? Still very hot and humid?

View attachment 99282

View at sunset tonight- London eye is middle of photo

Beautiful! :thumbsup2

We saw the Eye when we were there in early April and it is huge!!! Definitely can see it from miles away.

Very impressive winning the Minion...you guys were golden on the strong man games!!!

He's a good guy to have along for souvenirs, that's for sure :rotfl2: . A few people stopped to suggest that he start winning prizes for people who bombed out on their own attempts....until the TM running the game informed them that he could only win twice per day.

View attachment 99284

And one with the proper camera hubby took yesterday when he visited

What a view!! If I ever get to London, at least I know I'd be brave enough to ride it, too :goodvibes (assuming its not much larger than the Orlando version....it can't possibly be, can it???)

The Eye looks specatular! Similar to the High Roller at the Lynq in Vegas-we loved that ride but it goes by so fast (yeah-even at 40 minutes tour it went fast-so much to look at).

How completely cool about Bob the Minion-however did you get him home? Did he require his own seat on the plane? No way that Bob was going to travel in a suitcase :rotfl:

Lots of characters around in the parks-glad I budgeted for a photo connect card (argh-I had better get on it and actually order the thing! keep thinking I have lots of time but we leave for first part of our trip in 6 days!)

Hi Gina in October we had lovely hot weather but without the humidity of July/August. It was ideal really and a great time to go with Halloween, we didn't have WDW tickets as we did DC, Busch,SW and Universal but went to Mickey's Halloween party one night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter