Lots of service dogs this trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

erin1715

DIS Veteran
We've been coming to WDW every year for over 10 years and this trip we've seen a lot of service dogs for people who appear to be just fine.

Now, I know there are invisible illnesses but I've seen at least 10 dogs in a week with people in the parks. The only person that could have used a dog was a blind man and even he didn't have one. Just seems like everything else in society lately - overkill.

I think many of the new dogs, rather than guiding, do detection for epilepsy or diabetes issues. There would be nothing obvious to point them out.

(I'm not saying there aren't some people who lie to bring their pets. I do think that's a problem. I'm just saying I think there actually are more legitimate service dogs than there used to be, because there are more things we can train them to do now.)

I think many of the new dogs, rather than guiding, do detection for epilepsy or diabetes issues. There would be nothing obvious to point them out.

(I'm not saying there aren't some people who lie to bring their pets. I do think that's a problem. I'm just saying I think there are actually more legitimate service dogs than there used to be.)

Yeah that could very well be the case. I love dogs and feel a little bad for them in this heat and with all these people lol

We've been coming to WDW every year for over 10 years and this trip we've seen a lot of service dogs for people who appear to be just fine.

Now, I know there are invisible illnesses but I've seen at least 10 dogs in a week with people in the parks. The only person that could have used a dog was a blind man and even he didn't have one. Just seems like everything else in society lately - overkill.
I wouldn't even begin to think I'm qualified to judge who appears to be fine or not fine. Many service dogs are for those people with conditions that will never show outwardly.

we noticed the last couple trips, same thing. 2 things..1 there are a lot of "emotional support" dogs/pets everywhere and 2 you can get fake certiications online easily .

I am sure it will be abused until an serious issue arises and then Disney will do something about it. I feel bad for the dogs. I have never even seen one with it's tail up and wagging.

There are fake certificate mills online. They have been exposed on stuff like the Today Show. Send $50 and you too can turn your dog, or even snake, in to a service animal. They did it.

Are these animals at Disney? Yes I'm about 100% certain they are. Eventually something bad will happen because these animals are not trained properly. They are going to cause a problem for legit service animals.

And yes, there are many hidden conditions for certain so you can't tell by looking at the person. You can often get a better guide by looking at the Animal. Service animals typically behave different in crowds and aren't usually in a stroller like I've seen many trips

I think there's a place near Disney that trains service dogs. If I remember, they allow them to use Disney parks as part of the training, to get the dogs used to dealing with crowds. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I read that a while ago. If so, maybe that was the week for "crowd training" for a bunch of dogs.

We saw a chihuahua service dog at TL with an elderly woman. Very well behaved for a chihuahua. Guessing it was legit. Has a little tag on it.

I don't know if there are different levels of service dogs but I've seen some with signs on their harness that say "service dog please do not pet". However only one dog I've seen this trip had that sign. All the others just said service dog.

As a follow up to this - are these dogs allowed in the Disney resorts? Because we saw two little "service dogs" with a family eating in Beaches and Cream and then when we left to walk along the Boardwalk a man was walking his two French Bulldogs and I don't recall seeing any service dog signs on them

As a follow up to this - are these dogs allowed in the Disney resorts? Because we saw two little "service dogs" with a family eating in Beaches and Cream and then when we left to walk along the Boardwalk a man was walking his two French Bulldogs and I don't recall seeing any service dog signs on them
Yes, service dogs are allowed in the Resorts.

Service animals are not required to wear a vest, ID tag, or special harness. CMs may ask only two questions, which they will not. (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? CMs are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, ask that the dog demonstrate its task, or ask what is the guest's disability.

I think there's a place near Disney that trains service dogs. If I remember, they allow them to use Disney parks as part of the training, to get the dogs used to dealing with crowds. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I read that a while ago. If so, maybe that was the week for "crowd training" for a bunch of dogs.
I know there is one near DL, I wasn't aware of one near WDW too. Not that there isn't, just hadn't heard of it. DL is used all the time for training. When we were there we saw even more dogs than we see in WDW

Yes, service dogs are allowed in the Resorts.

Well there we go. I know for us it's hard to leave our two dogs home and find someone to take care of them. So I could absolutely see people taking advantage of this. You don't have to pay to put them in a kennel while you're on vacation and get to have them with you. Win win. Not to mention that it might make sense for one service animal but why would people need two with them?

Service dogs are allowed anywhere their owners are allowed - that's the point of having a service dog. That means restaurants, in the main airplane cabin, store, anywhere.

I agree that people abuse the system just because they want to bring their dog to places with them. But there are many many people who benefit from service animals and as so many have mentioned have a hidden need.

Service dog vests are optional. There is no requirement but many people like to have them so as to avoid the questions and confrontations about why they have a dog in a particular place. Also so that people have a sign to not approach the dog.

Last edited:
Well there we go. I know for us it's hard to leave our two dogs home and find someone to take care of them. So I could absolutely see people taking advantage of this. You don't have to pay to put them in a kennel while you're on vacation and get to have them with you. Win win. Not to mention that it might make sense for one service animal but why would people need two with them?

The ADA offers a lot of information about service animals I think you would find useful.

Some people have two issues - let's say seizures and a vision problem. Service dogs are trained to perform to help with a specific need. Someone theoretically could need two service dogs to perform their own specialized task. There are also tasks that are best accomplished by 2 dogs (movement stability would be an example.) It is not as common to have 2 service animals but it is possible to have a legitimate reason.

I'm not saying the people you saw were legit, I'm just saying there are people who need two service animals.

The ADA offers a lot of information about service animals I think you would find useful.

Some people have two issues - let's say seizures and a vision problem. Service dogs are trained to perform to help with a specific need. Someone theoretically could need two service dogs to perform their own specialized task. There are also tasks that are best accomplished by 2 dogs (movement stability would be an example.) It is not as common to have 2 service animals but it is possible to have a legitimate reason.

I'm not saying the people you saw were legit, I'm just saying there are people who need two service animals.
I'm sure there are cases where people have 2 but properly trained service dogs are very expensive. I would say it's pretty rare to have 2 of them. A lot who need them very badly can't get 1 because of the cost involved.

I'm not saying the people you saw were legit, I'm just saying there are people with two service animals.

Yeah I'm guessing it's not common enough to see two different families with two of the same breed dogs in a matter of hours. Also it's my understanding service dogs are extremely expensive so I find it hard to believe both of what I saw were legit.

I am all for people with legitimate illnesses having the help of a service dog. Dogs are amazing animals. But I don't believe that the amount of dogs I've seen this trip compared to previous trips are all legit

The only person that could have used a dog was a blind man and even he didn't have one. Just seems like everything else in society lately - overkill.

How lovely of you to judge who "could have used" a service dog.

Perhaps the blind gentleman is waiting for his dog to be trained. Perhaps he doesn't want one. Perhaps just about anything.

I think it's wonderful that Disney is so good at accommodating people with disabilities that they feel comfortable and safe there.

and 2 you can get fake certiications online easily .

But you don't need them.

We saw a chihuahua service dog at TL with an elderly woman. Very well behaved for a chihuahua. Guessing it was legit. Has a little tag on it.

Excellent. Could easily have been a dog that can sense blood sugar changes well before the person thinks to check, or can sense seizures coming on and alert the person to get to a safe place.

Tags aren't needed FYI. So that actually means nothing that the dog had it.

Of course they are. Service animals are considered humans. Just like humans, if they do something egregiously wrong they can get kicked out. But until that time they are a member of the family.

Not to mention that it might make sense for one service animal but why would people need two with them?

Perhaps there are two people in the family with conditions that require a service dog.

Service dogs are allowed anywhere their owners are allowed - that's the point of having a service dog. That means restaurants, in the main airplane cabin, store, anywhere.

Yep.

Also it's my understanding service dogs are extremely expensive so I find it hard to believe both of what I saw were legit.

The expensive dogs are the seeing eye type of dogs. They have very specific and rigorous training, and are literally born and raised to do it.

Generally if you see a smaller dog that's not what they are doing. They have a natural ability to sense the issues. They weren't born and raised to do this.

I met a couple 2 years ago at home who had three BIG dogs, just pets. Can't recall their breed. The couple's son came home from Iraq with TBI and pre existing type 1 diabetes. He had to move in with his parents bc of the tbi and ptsd

One night two of the dogs came into the couple's room, frantic. The dogs woke them up and herded them into the sons room. He was out of it. They checked his blood sugar. He was dangerously low. The dogs had saved his life. Now they are his service dogs. The third isn't; she doesn't have the ability to sense it. She's still a pet but the other two work with him to keep him alive.

I am all for people with legitimate illnesses having the help of a service dog.

Your words say that you are NOT all for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter