Lost the magic. Sad after my last trip.

Wallflower

Mouseketeer
Disney was something I looked forward to every year for a long time. It was a special thing my mom and I did together. Maybe I tried to plan it too much this time instead of just letting things happen. Maybe I'm just growing tired of it, or growing out of it. Maybe I just don't like the changes, and am tired of the things that haven't changed. Maybe I ran into one too many unhappy Disney employees. For the first time I left Disney not wanting to go back. I never wanted to see Mickey ears again. It no longer felt like our special place. It felt like an artificial world full of people rushing to be the first in line for everything. Somehow Disney lost its charm. I'm super depressed. I spent a year looking forward to going there with my Mom and I'm sad I left feeling this way. Has this ever happened to anybody?

I really do think uber planning does take some of the fun away. On my last trip with my daughter I had everything super planned out. We got there and she didn't want to do half the stuff planned, so we just winged it. And honestly that was the best thing to do. My first day I was disappointed but it ended up being a super fun trip. I am going in February with my husband and two of our sons. I am trying again not to uber plan and I'm hoping winging it will help. I love Disney and I don't want to lose the magic. Sorry your trip wasn't magical. :(

Disney was something I looked forward to every year for a long time. It was a special thing my mom and I did together. Maybe I tried to plan it too much this time instead of just letting things happen. Maybe I'm just growing tired of it, or growing out of it. Maybe I just don't like the changes, and am tired of the things that haven't changed. Maybe I ran into one too many unhappy Disney employees. For the first time I left Disney not wanting to go back. I never wanted to see Mickey ears again. It no longer felt like our special place. It felt like an artificial world full of people rushing to be the first in line for everything. Somehow Disney lost its charm. I'm super depressed. I spent a year looking forward to going there with my Mom and I'm sad I left feeling this way. Has this ever happened to anybody?
I am so sorry, that must feel awful. Were there specific things that contributed to those feelings? Maybe taking a break for a year or two will bring it back

I really do think uber planning does take some of the fun away. On my last trip with my daughter I had everything super planned out. We got there and she didn't want to do half the stuff planned, so we just winged it. And honestly that was the best thing to do. My first day I was disappointed but it ended up being a super fun trip. I am going in February with my husband and two of our sons. I am trying again not to uber plan and I'm hoping winging it will help. I love Disney and I don't want to lose the magic. Sorry your trip wasn't magical. :(

This comment resonates with me. We've gone four times this year and each trip I've progressively planned less and less. And each one has been better than the one before! "Winging it" for us has led to some awesome adventures and great memories.

OP - I've had bad trips in the past too. Go enough and it will happen. I love Poly but I had one trip where I swore I'd never step foot in the place again (obviously that didn't happen).

People change / evolve over time and obviously Disney does as well. I'm sorry this trip wasn't magical - maybe some time off will do you good?

Growing up my immediate family, as well as extended family all went to WDW every other year. My dad always said he would never go back. Every day was scheduled and planned. When my cousin was in a parade in MK while I was in college my mom and dad went down with my aunt so she wasn't going alone. My dad said WDW wasn't so bad after that. My husband and I go with the flow we have an idea of what we want to do but we have 1 thing we say is our goal for the day if we do that everything else is a bonus. My dad said after traveling with my husband and our kids to WDW he would go all the time. There is so much excitement planning a WDW trip ( I obsess over it) but when I am there I have to just let go, and see where the Magic takes us. My husband never thought adults would have fun at WDW but its his favorite place to go. My dad has even asked when we are going back in case they decide to make the trip.

The point of all of that I guess is that if Disney isn't magical anymore for you that's ok, it doesn't mean it wont be again someday. Maybe time and a different approach can make a world of difference!

I am sorry you feel that way though. It probably feels as if you were punched in the gut.

As someone who has been going since the 80s, and went back in 2015 after a ten-year gap, I feel you. It's been a victim of its own success. Lines, aggressive crowds, no longer any "low" season, slipping standards, traffic nightmares (we saw a horrific accident involving kids about two miles from MK gates, on WDW property, family with an obviously angry father was speeding and ran a red light), rides under constant refurb and still outdated, food prices out of control, etc. But what can you do? The more expensive it gets and the more planning it requires, the more people want what they can't have.

I'm in the "could afford it but refuse to pay that much" crowd, and I feel badly for those for whom it's out of reach (or who go into lots of debt for it). Ditto DCL at this point.

Trying UO/IOA again in Feb. Maybe give it a look, especially if you like Harry Potter. They also just officially announced the upcoming Nintendo World property (or area of existing park, not certain yet).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter