• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

L'Originale Alfredo De Roma - 31st Jan

gismo1554

DIS Veteran
So for the first time I went to Alfredo's and I have never been so disappointed in a resturant in my life. After having so much hype about it from a friend of mine I thought it would be brilliant but no.

I started off with Buffallo Mozzerella which was nice although there was far too much olive oil on it. The mozzerella however was huge which was a bonus as it meant the middle but could be eaten without the oil.

My friend had the calamari which again looked nice and he said tasted fine.

We both had Chicken Parmasian for main (or at least that was what it was in English). I was really looking foreward to it but when it arrived the chicken was cold and in breadcrumbs (which the write up did not specify) and the pasta had very little sauce on it. I was really disappointed as I thought it was going to be fantastic.

For dessert I had Tiramisu. It was really nice but was disappointed that desserts weren't listed on the menu itself as I would like to have known the price because it was tiny! As it was I was on the meal plan but I think if I had actually paid for it I might have been annoyed.

The service was brilliant. The lady we had didn't have the best English but was really chatty and friendly and thats always nice. She was really accomadating too as another friend joined us for the main course as he was working in the morning, and she didn't mind us waiting for him to order. She also managed to remember what drink I had which usually I find people have to ask, and brought it before mine was even empty! My friend claimed he got diet coke rather than normal but I think he was just picking fault as he always did on this trip.

Anyway I don't think I would ever go back there. The food was worse than Olive Garden (not that Olive Garden is not nice because it is but quality wise you expect Alfredos to be better) and a whole lot more expensive. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone!

Also just to be aware, they sell Rosa Regale (pink champagne like wine) in the resturant and it is twice the price of the same size glass outside on the drink cart. If you do like the stuff like me, buy a glass and take it in with you. I did and then I ordered a soft drink with my meal and no one seemed to mind. If I'm honest I brought it outside as I wasn't sure if they served it inside but when I saw the price I was glad I did it this way.

I'm sorry you had such a bad meal. Alfredo's often gets bad reviews, but the good news is that it will be closing at the end of August. Hopefully the restaurant that takes its place will be much better!

I'm new to this board, but I am excited to read everyone's reviews and experiences. I'm sorry your experience at Alfredo's was so bad. We've been there a couple times, this last time was on Valentines Day and it was fabulous. We had the fettucini alfredo and loved it. They also had a special dessert sampler platter that DH got and it was about 6 different sample sizes. It was very good. DD13 had chocolate mousse and I tiramisu, which we loved as well. I think you must have been there on a bad day. I was very disappointed to find out they were closing. We used our DDE card and they allowed us to use it on Valentines Day, which I wasn't sure if we could do because most holidays are excluded. I do hope that the restaurant that replaces it is good, Italian is my favorite!

Pam

we'd eaten at alfredo's twice in the past

bad experience both times with both service and food

but the dessert was good - also had the tiramisu

hope whatever replaces it has more space between the tables...

we'd eaten at alfredo's twice in the past

bad experience both times with both service and food

but the dessert was good - also had the tiramisu

hope whatever replaces it has more space between the tables...

I agree dessert was fab! Definately hope there's more space between tables!

Ditto on the space between tables. I think the thing with Alfredo's was it was hit or miss. Last fall we had deplorable service and food, however, the two previous visits we had terrific service and delicious food. We love Italian food and hope the new restaurant is top-notch.:)

I agree it was too crowded. We loved the food, though, but we only tried the fettucine (didn't get too adventurous ;) )
Sorry that you had a disappointing experience!

Does anyone know what is taking the place of Alfredos? My DB were going to make reservations there but our agent said that we couldn't but didn't give us a reason why. So now we have to come up with another place to eat, any suggestions???
we are eating at the following:
coral reef
le celliars
Bistro in Paris or France?
Rose Crown and Pub
Calf. Grill
Brown Derby
50's dinner
Akerhouse in Norway

Its a shame you did not have a good experience there. Have eaten here in the past 7 Loved it. We will be there in May & look forward to eatintg there 1 more time before it closes for good

So for the first time I went to Alfredo's and I have never been so disappointed in a resturant in my life. After having so much hype about it from a friend of mine I thought it would be brilliant but no.

I started off with Buffallo Mozzerella which was nice although there was far too much olive oil on it. The mozzerella however was huge which was a bonus as it meant the middle but could be eaten without the oil.

My friend had the calamari which again looked nice and he said tasted fine.

We both had Chicken Parmasian for main (or at least that was what it was in English). I was really looking foreward to it but when it arrived the chicken was cold and in breadcrumbs (which the write up did not specify) and the pasta had very little sauce on it. I was really disappointed as I thought it was going to be fantastic.

For dessert I had Tiramisu. It was really nice but was disappointed that desserts weren't listed on the menu itself as I would like to have known the price because it was tiny! As it was I was on the meal plan but I think if I had actually paid for it I might have been annoyed.

The service was brilliant. The lady we had didn't have the best English but was really chatty and friendly and thats always nice. She was really accomadating too as another friend joined us for the main course as he was working in the morning, and she didn't mind us waiting for him to order. She also managed to remember what drink I had which usually I find people have to ask, and brought it before mine was even empty! My friend claimed he got diet coke rather than normal but I think he was just picking fault as he always did on this trip.

Anyway I don't think I would ever go back there. The food was worse than Olive Garden (not that Olive Garden is not nice because it is but quality wise you expect Alfredos to be better) and a whole lot more expensive. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone!

Also just to be aware, they sell Rosa Regale (pink champagne like wine) in the resturant and it is twice the price of the same size glass outside on the drink cart. If you do like the stuff like me, buy a glass and take it in with you. I did and then I ordered a soft drink with my meal and no one seemed to mind. If I'm honest I brought it outside as I wasn't sure if they served it inside but when I saw the price I was glad I did it this way.

Thats really a shame about Alfredo's, my last time there in 2001 was really memorable, great service, friendly staff, great atmosphere and great food. It's terrible to see such a good institution come to this and close down. Management must have really let things go down hill over the past few years. I'm glad I read your post's regarding this experience and upcoming closing...my children and I have reservations for the Forth of July coming up, I guess we'll switch to another restaurant. Also disappointing is the Haunted mansion closing down during our visit, one of my favorite attractions, I wish they would do this in the slow winter hours. I appreciate these discussion boards for the updates and reviews, it's very helpful in planning our trip.

Does anyone know what is taking the place of Alfredos? My DB were going to make reservations there but our agent said that we couldn't but didn't give us a reason why. So now we have to come up with another place to eat, any suggestions???
we are eating at the following:
coral reef
le celliars
Bistro in Paris or France?
Rose Crown and Pub
Calf. Grill
Brown Derby
50's dinner
Akerhouse in Norway

Mexico is fun and has good food from what I remember.

Ksoda: I didn't see Biergarten on your list, but would definitely recommend it for it's food and entertainment. It's just a fabulous experience--you feel as if you're in the town plaza during the German Festival :thumbsup2 Mexico is good too--another excellent experience all around. We aren't sorry to see Alfredo's going. Over the years we've given it a fair shot every so often, but the food quality and service was always ick:sad2: never got any better and was a huge waste for --and WDW is somewhere we didn't want to waste a meal in :confused3

Its been several years since I last ate at Alfredo's in WDW and if I remember the food was just so so back then. I have eaten at the original Alfredo's in Rome which is Unbelievably GOOD!! I can tell you that Alfredo's at WDW is nothing like the one in Rome. It blows me away that it is the same company. I agree with pp that the food at WDW Alfredo's is comparible to Olive Garden.
So I would pass as well.

However, if anyone makes it over to Rome, make sure you go to the original Alfredo's, its worth every bite, YUMMMY!

Michele

I LOVE these thread's! They are so helpful. I was getting ready to make our DR for L'Original Alfredo when I read this thread and excited that it is closing because I didn't really want to eat there anyway, DS 14 did.:yay: He love's Italian food. Any other suggestions of where we could eat??:confused3

Ksoda: I didn't see Biergarten on your list, but would definitely recommend it for it's food and entertainment. It's just a fabulous experience--you feel as if you're in the town plaza during the German Festival :thumbsup2 Mexico is good too--another excellent experience all around. We aren't sorry to see Alfredo's going. Over the years we've given it a fair shot every so often, but the food quality and service was always ick:sad2: never got any better and was a huge waste for --and WDW is somewhere we didn't want to waste a meal in :confused3

:banana: YEP YEP YEP, thanks for reminding me, Beirgarten will be a must on my list! Like Mlggator (Michele) wrote about her trip to Rome, I agree, there's nothing like the real thing. Alike, I was in Germany and the food...mmm good! And the Beir, simply the best. From our Army base in Grafenwoehr, Germany, we headed for the Italian fest in Italy, on the way, our bus stopped for lunch in a beautiful historic small town, I'll tell you, we didn't want to leave, but we had to. As we continued on south, the driver made a mistake and got off the wrong exit, we hadn't even reached Austria yet, but I'm glad we got lost in this instance, because we ended up driving through the most beautiful places on earth. As we stopped and asked for directions from the towns people, we heard Beirgarten music in the distance, so we continued on and came upon a German fest on a beautiful lake. So we stopped, what a fantastic time we had! The people we friendly, the beir served from giant keg trucks, yes, keg trucks. All the kids dressed in authentic German dress, dancing to the music, the sights, the sounds, and the food kept on coming, and the beir, ohhh the beir. Well, before we got sloshed, we continued on again and ended up in Berchtesgaten and the Eagle Nest at another festval. We never made it to Austria, Switzerland or Italy that weekend, but I'm glad we didn't, because the history, the sights, the sounds, the people, music, food and drink made it one of the most memorable times of my life. If the Beirgarten at WDW can reflect the real thing, I know it will bring back so many fond memories, but this time my kids can experience it too, at least in the WDW way. :banana:

I'm a bit confused by something in your post.
We both had Chicken Parmasian for main (or at least that was what it was in English). I was really looking foreward to it but when it arrived the chicken was cold and in breadcrumbs (which the write up did not specify)

I understand the gripe about it being cold, but not understanding the part where the menu should state the chicken was breaded. Chicken Parm is supposed to be breaded. :confused:

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I've eaten there twice and never understood the draw. Too expensive for mediocre food. I don't know how a place like Disney can't manage to have one fantastic Italian restaurant.

I'm a bit confused by something in your post.

I understand the gripe about it being cold, but not understanding the part where the menu should state the chicken was breaded. Chicken Parm is supposed to be breaded. :confused:

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I've eaten there twice and never understood the draw. Too expensive for mediocre food. I don't know how a place like Disney can't manage to have one fantastic Italian restaurant.

Ok yes fair enough if most is breaded but it actually just said chicken breast so I assumed that it wasn't - my fault I admit but as I've only had this dish twice and once it was breaded and once it wasn't I assumed it wasn't (maybe this is a british thing the unbreaded version).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter