Looking forward to our trip...dreading leaving the dogs

Lizboo

Travel Nut
This happens every year...I had my first moment today of "OMG! I will be without my dogs for 2 weeks". They will be with my best friend, one the person I trust most in the world. She is the one they would go to if something ever happened to the both of us. She's responsible, treats them very well and loves them (and me) very much.

We will be dropping them off at her house next Saturday as our flight on Sunday morning means we have to be at the airport at 4 am.

I will miss them so much...I know we will have an incredible trip...we have awesome tours, incredible ADRs and hey...we will be at WDW.

I can't be the only one who feels this way, right?

I have the same feeling about our dog!

Glad (and sorry) to hear at the same time.

What kind of dog do you have? How old? What's its name?

You can see my Maltese in the avatar...Zoe is 4 and Abbie is 3.

I used to bring them toys back from Disney (most are usually too big but the manage) but the last couple of years, there has been nothing new to buy.

When we traveled together, when the kids were young, my friend would watch them for us, in our home. I would never, could never, have the heart to leave them in a kennel. I do hear you on how you feel leaving them.

Now that the kids are older, we do not all go together anymore. Someone from the house is always home. I still feel bad leaving them, but they are always home with a family member, either one of my kids, or my DH or sometimes my DH & one of the kids. It has been a couple of years since all 5 of us have gone together. Schedules never seem to work out for us. The dogs don't mind it ... all 6 of them... :goodvibes

I feel completely the same! We are going on a two week Disneymoon in three weeks after our wedding and our chihuahua is staying with my parents. I am going to miss him soooooo much! He is the only one I cannot stand to be away from! lol

When we traveled together, when the kids were young, my friend would watch them for us, in our home. I would never, could never, have the heart to leave them in a kennel. I do hear you on how you feel leaving them.

Now that the kids are older, we do not all go together anymore. Someone from the house is always home. I still feel bad leaving them, but they are always home with a family member, either one of my kids, or my DH or sometimes my DH & one of the kids. It has been a couple of years since all 5 of us have gone together. Schedules never seem to work out for us. The dogs don't mind it ... all 6 of them... :goodvibes

WOW 6...I thought my 2 were work...I am sure they are happy to have somebody to love on them while you are gone. Have a great trip!
I feel completely the same! We are going on a two week Disneymoon in three weeks after our wedding and our chihuahua is staying with my parents. I am going to miss him soooooo much! He is the only one I cannot stand to be away from! lol

I love Chis...so cute..I mainly work from home starting last year, so I am with them all the time...Have a great Disneymoon.

I feel that same way about my cat. She was my first baby, before I had my 2 DD's and she relies on me (she actually only likes me, ha ha). In my head I know she'll be fine, but I've never left her for 10 days before. I trust the neighbor checking in on her but I worry :D

I feel that same way about my cat. She was my first baby, before I had my 2 DD's and she relies on me (she actually only likes me, ha ha). In my head I know she'll be fine, but I've never left her for 10 days before. I trust the neighbor checking in on her but I worry :D

Sounds like she's a momma's girl...My oldest is like that...she sleeps ON me. When she goes to my friend's house, she tries that but it doesn't last long.

I am sure your baby will be fine and I hope you have a great trip.

Your maltese babies are so cute:cutie: I have a male maltese named Prince and we also worry when we leave on vacation. My sister either stays home with him or we leave him with a lady that is a dog trainer that he also likes.

Have a wonderful vacation.

i feel the same way. I have found a solution that makes me feel better about leaving them - a friend that i know and trust comes and stays at our house with them. She is totally focused on the "boys" - two six year old Cocker Spaniels. it is great. She sends me pictures from her phone and text, although i have to be careful of texting too much. She thinks i'm worrying about them :confused3 She even kept the neighbors dog last trip as they were at WDW with us. Everyone loves Aunt Patti :love::love:

She isn't available for our November trip. The neighbors will look out after the boys so it won't be the same. I keep hoping her plans will fall thru :rotfl::rotfl:

My babies didn't like being at the kennel. i don't think they gave them as much attention as the boys thought they should get:rotfl2::rotfl2:

:dog::dogdance:

Your maltese babies are so cute:cutie: I have a male maltese named Prince and we also worry when we leave on vacation. My sister either stays home with him or we leave him with a lady that is a dog trainer that he also likes.

Have a wonderful vacation.

Why thank you...Prince is also very cute...love the breed very much. Thanks for the well wishes.

Hopefully you are able to enjoy the trip with out your dogs. We are leaving in 18 days and will be in the same boat as you, my DD12 and mother will be watching my dog. We usually bring the dog with us but got a room on property that was to good to pass up so we decided to make the trip with out my dog :guilty: I know they wil be good to her but they dont love her like I do! so I dont think she will get the attention like she needs

i feel the same way. I have found a solution that makes me feel better about leaving them - a friend that i know and trust comes and stays at our house with them. She is totally focused on the "boys" - two six year old Cocker Spaniels. it is great. She sends me pictures from her phone and text, although i have to be careful of texting too much. She thinks i'm worrying about them :confused3 She even kept the neighbors dog last trip as they were at WDW with us. Everyone loves Aunt Patti :love::love:

She isn't available for our November trip. The neighbors will look out after the boys so it won't be the same. I keep hoping her plans will fall thru :rotfl::rotfl:

My babies didn't like being at the kennel. i don't think they gave them as much attention as the boys thought they should get:rotfl2::rotfl2:

:dog::dogdance:

My friend has stayed with "the girls" on shorter trips, but for one this long, I want to do what it easiest for her. She has keys and may come and spend the last part of the trip at our house (to give our girls and her dog a break- also, she works near our house).

Sorry to hear that Aunt Patti is not available...I would have a hard time going if Aunt Mary Ann was not available. I hope it all works out.

I couldn't imagine sending my girls to a kennel. They have to be groomed daily and they are so little...and spoiled (my fault).

Have a great trip in November..we saw the Osbourne Lights 2 years ago and loved it...so we are headed back next year.:cool1:

Hopefully you are able to enjoy the trip with out your dogs. We are leaving in 18 days and will be in the same boat as you, my DD12 and mother will be watching my dog. We usually bring the dog with us but got a room on property that was to good to pass up so we decided to make the trip with out my dog :guilty: I know they wil be good to her but they dont love her like I do! so I dont think she will get the attention like she needs

Nobody loves them like you do...staying on property is great...have a wonderful time.

I couldn't agree with you more! We have two dogs and two cats. I don't worry as much about the cats because they like their alone time more, but dogs need people around. We have a great petsitter who comes three times a day and stays for an hour or so each time. We love her, but I would always prefer someone living with them in my house when we are away...just cannot find anyone we trust enough to do that. I cry for the first hour of our drive to WDW and then periodically throughout my trip if I worry too much :( I understand how you feel!

I feel your pain. We sadly, have to split up our dogs. Our boxer will go to my mom's but we just found our puppy (in my avatar) has severe allergies to tobacco and until a year ago my mom smoked. (Since the pup is not exposed any more we are adding it to her allergy serum-shots)

So now my cats and FISH (FISH is fish's name) will be home with a daily pet sitter, boxer w/ mom, and pup with my dear friend who has her brother. My dogs need ME!

I'm trying to talk my mom into staying here with everyone (her dog included)!!!:wizard: Need some Pixie Dust for that one.

I had to board my cat for three weeks last September while I was traveling. I was so upset, I kept telling my sister, "she's going to forget me" or "she's going to hate me." Finally DSis got fed up and told me what her vet told her - cat's don't wear watches. Neither cats nor dogs have a sense of time, so as far as Sophia was concerned, I might as well have left the day before. At least I knew she was in good hands - I boarded her a a small local vet, and they are all so sweet I knew they would be good to her.

Of course, now that I've added Minerva, I''m going to have to have my niece house/cat sir for me. I'd rather pay her than the vet - and she's cheaper!:goodvibes

I am the same with my dog, she stays with my Sister who loves my Emma dearly and Emma loves her as we spend almost every weekend with her at the lake during the Summer. I can't even drop her off but make my Husband do it as I would probably end up crying, I think its hard because you can't explain to our Dogs what is going on and I always wonder if she wonders if we are going to come back or not. On the other hand we should all be thankful that our pets have such loving homes:goodvibes

Aww Liz you sound like my grandma! She's coming to Disney with me in Oct and already fretting over leaving her puppies! I told her she's having a much harder time with it than any of them are. :rotfl:

Seriously, I know how you feel though. I have quite a zoo I leave behind (5 cats and 2 dogs), and it just doesn't feel right to sleep in a bed with no furry critters in it!

Count me in! I look so forward to my vacation but I dread leaving my pembroke welsh corgi, journey. She will be with my parents and my dad loves her ..but, still I know she misses me and I miss her!!! :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter