Looking for toddler handheld game reviews

figment41

DIS Veteran
There are so many new handheld games for toddlers I thought maybe some of you would have some new reviews for them.

I am trying to decide between

Fisher Price XLi
Leapster Explorer
Vtech Mobi
Vtech E Reader

They all have Disney games so that does not help make the decision any easier

Thanks in advance for your thoughts:wizard:

Both my kids started with Leapsters. They have been dropped but still work and look like new. I would recommend Leapster.

Another vote for Leapster. Just make sure any games you get are age appropriate, since some of the games are way too difficult for toddlers (creating a great deal of frustration).

Another vote for Leapster. My DS 3 is using the one his older brother received 6 years ago and it is going strong. I agree with the PP to ensure you pay attention to the suggested age as I purchased one for kindergartners and it was too hard for him.

I would vote for no video games. They are going to be attached to a screen before you know it anyway, why start them off so young when they don't even know what they're missing. My DD8 has never had an interest. My DS almost 7 has been wanting a DSi for about 6 months. I have no problem letting him get one, he's been saving all his money and it's what he wants to get. I say wait till they are older and then have them buy it themselves, it won't get tossed to the bottom of the toy box and mistreated that way :thumbsup2

My 4 year old LOVES my iPod touch. It's very easy for him to use, has a bunch of games on there for him to play and he can watch movies on it too. It's a lifesaver for the drive down!

My son loves his Leapster. We bought it for him when he was 3 1/2 - he still plays with it and he will be five in October. I do second what another poster said about choosing the age appropriate games. The games are educational too - the other night my son was telling me anything and everything I ever wanted to know about polar bears. When I asked where he learned this, he replied "Animal Genius," which is one of his Leapster games. They just came out with a Toy Story 3 game which we bought the day after we saw the movie. It's a great system. You won't be disappointed.

Also, as an FYI...couponmom.com has Leapster and Tag book coupons right now.

Both of my girls had/have Leapsters and Vsmile Pockets and they received a TON of use!!! This past Spring they both hoarded all of their money and each bought themselves DSi's. They are 10 and just turned 7.

another vote for leapster! my 4 year old loves the games. he lets his 3 year old brother watch while he plays. I will get one for the 3 year old as an early gift when we go on our trip.

Depends on their ages. My older kids had leapsters but couldn't really use them well until they were 3.5/4. I just bought my 2.5 yo the mobi. He does pretty well with it. He's a bit young but the touch screen makes it usable for him. He also loves the itouch but that was a bit out of my price range for us. :rotfl2: And I'm guessing my other kids will want to play with theirs on the 7 hour plan ride.

We have a VTech Cyber Pocket which is very similar to the Leapster. It was a little cheaper when we bought it on sale at Christmas time. We liked it because we already had a VSmile at home and that links to the tv and the Cyber Pocket uses all of the same games. My son is almost 4 and he loves it.

My son got a Leapster when he was 3. He used that thing FOREVER!! He took pretty good care of it, but come on, he's a little boy and it still got dropped here and there. Worked AWESOME!! We got him a Nintendo DS when he was 5.5 and the Leapster got handed down to dd. She got tons of use out of it until it finally bit the dust last month and I had to toss it. I'm not exaggerating that this thing was used just about daily, and made numerous trips with us. Leapster, hands down!!!

I got my DS4 the Vsmile Cyberpocket for christmas last year, only because it was a clearance package at Sam's. It came with a nice sturdy carrying case. I have been amazed how much he's enjoyed it! Wow it's been a lifesaver for me, sometimes. I didn't research the purchase at all before hand...so I just lucked out.

We have the fisher price Computer cool school with games and I have been really dissapointed with the quality of the software. The games just aren't well thought out or engaging...so I would hesitate to recommend any fisher price brand electronics.

we got my son a leapster when he was a little over 3 for the plane ride to Disney. The games are great, educational games that he absolutely loves. I am not a big video game person but he uses it for plane and car rides mostly. He is 6 now and still plays with it. I am thinking about getting him the Didji or whatever the next age group leapster is (games work with either one) and giving his Leapster to my 3 yr old for our upcoming plane ride to Disney in Oct... so another Leapster vote

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter