Looking for Cabin Advice

samanthacatangel

<font color=blue>I am filled with useless info. To
Hello! I have been reading through all of your words of wisdom about FW and think you are very helpful and knowledgeable!

I am not a newbie to WDW (about 12 trips onsite) but I am new to FW. We are going in July (haven't been in the summer for 20 years) and our party consists of myself, DH and DD6. Also travelling are our best friends - husband, wife and two sons (7 and 5.) We requested cabins next to each other.

All of the adults (except for me) go tent camping every year. DH saw FW and, since he loves to camp, agreed to go back to WDW again.

We decided on the cabins after pricing out the 1 bedroom DVC villas - VERY pricey! We like the fact that there is a separate door to the bedroom so the kids can go to bed earlier than us, and we can hang out outside. (I know, the cabins aren't REAL camping, but it is as close as I will ever get, lol)

We have both rented golf carts, and are looking into renting a minivan to share. So my questions are...

Is it likely that our request to be next to each other will be honored? I have never had a problem with requests being honored at the WDW hotels (at least, not yet)

Which cabin loop would you recommend?

Do we really need a rental car? We are planning on doing two or three signature restaurants and putting the kids in the kid's clubs (they went last year and LOVED it) and I think it may be hard to get back late at night from the hotels. We are considering V&A's (if possible - special 40th birthday dinner) at Grand Floridian, Yacht Club and Animal Kingdom Lodge. We also want to do a grocery stop outside of WDW - we do plan on barbecuing and grabbing breakfast at the cabin - and we also want to do a beer/wine run.

Stupid question - can you purchase alcohol at grocery stores in Florida? (Only beer in NYC)

Do you recommend the Backyard BBQ? We have all been to Hoop De Doo last April, so we are bypassing that. I think the kids would love the movie at FW, too.

Thank you for any input!! I am amazed at the new world FW is and we are REALLY looking forward to staying here, and loving all of the pics you guys post.

Samantha

When we have stay at the cabins (twice) we rented a car and shopped outside of the World. We purchased charcoal that had the lighter fluid in it to reduce the amount of stuff we needed. We loved the cabins and the campfire. We did not use our car while on grounds, but we went to the parks only. Good luck and enjoy!

If you use gardengrocer.com for food and take a cab back after eating out, I think you can do without the rental car. With golf carts you can easily make it to the marina and buses and have access to all the parks. Are you renting carts from FW? We have read some great reviews about Kenny from Tee Time Golf Carts and will be renting from him when we go down next week. His cell number is 407.276.0809. The price is right and he has been nothing but professional. Here is a thread http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2067686 I would call gardengrocer and ask them about beer/wine delivery. We have used them in the past for food (and charcoal) and the service was excellent. You could also pack some wine in a box or mail it down to yourself but wine is available in grocery stores in FL.

We decided on the cabins after pricing out the 1 bedroom DVC villas - VERY pricey! We like the fact that there is a separate door to the bedroom so the kids can go to bed earlier than us, and we can hang out outside. (I know, the cabins aren't REAL camping, but it is as close as I will ever get, lol)

You can actually get even CLOSER to real camping..AND STILL have all the luxuries of a cabin....at a greatly reduced price. Check out CampAtTheFort.com for a luxury 5th wheel camper that will be delivered to your Fort Wilderness site and completely set up so that all you have to do is move in for the length of your vacation. It sleeps up to 9 people, so both families would be very comfortable in the camper. With the money you save versus the 2 cabin rentals...you could pay for the Disney Dining Plan for the whole group!!!

Just a suggestion to help you further enjoy all the Fort has to offer.

Welcome to the camping boards, you guys are going to LOVE camping at Disney...be sure to set aside a couple of days for enjoying the campground without going to the parks...there's ALOT of things for the kids to enjoy as well as the adults. Most people here would never choose any other Disney resort....and no other resort would ever make you want to skip park days to enjoy the hotel!!!

While no one can promise you will be next door to each other, I would think it is pretty likely to be honored especially if you are flexible in your loop request. We were just there and while they couldn't give me the loop I wanted, I did get front of the loop, which I'd also requested and it was wonderful.

Which loop is largely a matter of personal preference. If you skip the car I'd go for 2700/2800 and the swimmin hole pool as those are very walkable to the outpost for bus transport to all locations except for the MK. 2100 will get you closer to the main pool and trading post. For us, we didn't need anything at the trading post and the main pool was closed so 2700 was pretty perfect (and really pretty!).

We did not do a car for the bulk of our trip, or a golf cart and had zero issues with resort dinner transportation...and we eat late! The internal buses were fabulous. We were quite pleased with Garden Grocer and would use them again. The town car service from the airport will include a Publix stop if you prefer to do your own shopping but saves over the rental car. I guess for me, unless I need to be places outside of WDW itself, I don't need or want to drive. The one day we had one (for activities far outside of the area) we spent more time figuring out turn off's for things. Sure it was nice to have that flexibility for a day but I honestly wouldn't miss it at all.

Remember too, depending on what signatures you do, FW has a boat to the Contemporary and WL which then means easy access to the other monorail resorts. We were able to visit all of the MK resorts quite easily as a result without ever getting on a bus and worrying about parking of our car.

That said we also dined at Boma, which I think is about as far away as you can get from the fort, and had no issues getting there or back either.

You can actually get even CLOSER to real camping..AND STILL have all the luxuries of a cabin....at a greatly reduced price. Check out CampAtTheFort.com for a luxury 5th wheel camper that will be delivered to your Fort Wilderness site and completely set up so that all you have to do is move in for the length of your vacation.

Rog, you are right about renting the 5th wheel, we are contemplating doing just that. However how do they know what site to deliver the rig to if your site is assigned when you check in? Probably you call them with the info, right?

Actually...in my case...they check in FOR YOU and tell YOU what site your at, the camper is already onsite waiting before check in. This may not ALWAYS be the case, and I dont know the small details...but Im sure Tina will fill you in with all the info you need. Shoot her a PM here on the boards, her DIS name is tinah159, or contact her through her website (CampAtTheFort.com), she really goes all out to make your vacation as simple and easy as a Fort Wilderness vacation should be.

Hello! I have been reading through all of your words of wisdom about FW and think you are very helpful and knowledgeable!

I am not a newbie to WDW (about 12 trips onsite) but I am new to FW. We are going in July (haven't been in the summer for 20 years) and our party consists of myself, DH and DD6. Also travelling are our best friends - husband, wife and two sons (7 and 5.) We requested cabins next to each other.

All of the adults (except for me) go tent camping every year. DH saw FW and, since he loves to camp, agreed to go back to WDW again.

We have both rented golf carts, and are looking into renting a minivan to share. So my questions are...

Is it likely that our request to be next to each other will be honored? I have never had a problem with requests being honored at the WDW hotels (at least, not yet)

Which cabin loop would you recommend?

Do we really need a rental car? We are planning on doing two or three signature restaurants and putting the kids in the kid's clubs (they went last year and LOVED it) and I think it may be hard to get back late at night from the hotels. We are considering V&A's (if possible - special 40th birthday dinner) at Grand Floridian, Yacht Club and Animal Kingdom Lodge. We also want to do a grocery stop outside of WDW - we do plan on barbecuing and grabbing breakfast at the cabin - and we also want to do a beer/wine run.

Stupid question - can you purchase alcohol at grocery stores in Florida? (Only beer in NYC)

Do you recommend the Backyard BBQ? We have all been to Hoop De Doo last April, so we are bypassing that. I think the kids would love the movie at FW, too.

Thank you for any input!! I am amazed at the new world FW is and we are REALLY looking forward to staying here, and loving all of the pics you guys post.

Samantha

Your request being honored will depend on how busy it is. For the 6 times my family stayed there with more then one cabin our requests to be next to each other were honored all but once. That one the cabins were still in the same loop.

The best loop would be bobcat bend because it is closest to everything.Arrowhead way and shawnee bend are also close. The only problem with Shawnee Bend is that its one way and while some of the cabins are close to bobcat bend the entrance isn't.

Hillow Way is also ok even though it doesn't seem it. Its very close to the "main road" of FW.

you can purchase alcohol at grocery stores in Florida. The Goody's right outside of the DTD entrance to disney has a wide selection of alcohol.

I'd personally say get a car because it makes everything easier and then your not on disney's transportation sechdual.

I have never been to MBYB because we've never been there the right time of year so I can't recommend it.

I hope you have great time at FW, its a wonderful place to stay and we were able to enjoy 11 great trips there.

you can purchase alcohol at grocery stores in Florida. The Goody's right outside of the DTD entrance to disney has a wide selection of alcohol.

One word of caution - Goodings at Crossroads is very, VERY expensive (like triple what normal prices are here in NH)! If you have a car, I'd recommend going just a wee a bit further away to a Publix or regular grocery store - you'll save a bundle.

Trading posts at FW also sell alcohol, but again, really expensive.

You can actually get even CLOSER to real camping..AND STILL have all the luxuries of a cabin....at a greatly reduced price. Check out CampAtTheFort.com for a luxury 5th wheel camper that will be delivered to your Fort Wilderness site and completely set up so that all you have to do is move in for the length of your vacation. It sleeps up to 9 people, so both families would be very comfortable in the camper. With the money you save versus the 2 cabin rentals...you could pay for the Disney Dining Plan for the whole group!!!

Just a suggestion to help you further enjoy all the Fort has to offer.

Thank you for this suggestion. Went and checked out the site, but we would need two (my daughter is an EARLY riser and their boys sleep in.) I like my own space. The campers look very nice, but I don't think I am a camping kind of gal. My husband, on the other hand, would love it, so I am definitely not showing him the link :rotfl2:

Thanks again for the info.

Samantha

Thanks to everyone for their replies! I am really looking forward to this trip - this board has me totally psyched! :thumbsup2

Still on the fence about the car. We would be splitting it with the other family (we are looking at around $150 each) but if we are out to dinner without kids, one of the adults would have to remain a designated driver. Definitely a necessity to do that, but a cab would make a glass of wine more "do-able" for everyone.

I have a question about Garden Grocer... how do they arrange it so your groceries are delivered when your room is available? Do you just give them a time after check-in to deliver them, or call them when you are there? Do they deliver directly to your cabin? I just do not want milk or refrigerated items to not be refrigerated for any amount of time.

Also, if you take a cab from another hotel back to the cabins, do they drop you at the front of the Fort, or can they provide door to door service? Any that you would recommend?

Thanks for putting up with my inane questions! I am definitely an over-planner!!:rotfl:

Samantha

The best loop would be bobcat bend because it is closest to everything.Arrowhead way and shawnee bend are also close. The only problem with Shawnee Bend is that its one way and while some of the cabins are close to bobcat bend the entrance isn't.

Hillow Way is also ok even though it doesn't seem it. Its very close to the "main road" of FW.

Thanks for this. Just wondering what the numbers of these loops are.

Thanks for this. Just wondering what the numbers of these loops are.

Bobcat bend is 2100

Arrowhead Way is is 2200

Shawnee Bend is 2300

Hillow Way is 2800

We were placed in Hillow Way a few years ago and we hated the idea because it seeme so far away, but it was actually was ok. I'd pick that over the 2400-2700 loops.

Actually...in my case...they check in FOR YOU and tell YOU what site your at, the camper is already onsite waiting before check in. This may not ALWAYS be the case, and I dont know the small details...but Im sure Tina will fill you in with all the info you need. Shoot her a PM here on the boards, her DIS name is tinah159, or contact her through her website (CampAtTheFort.com), she really goes all out to make your vacation as simple and easy as a Fort Wilderness vacation should be.

Thanks for the reply and information. I will be getting in touch with Tina as soon as we have our duckies in a row.

if we are out to dinner without kids, one of the adults would have to remain a designated driver.

Unless you dine on property, and then you could still plan to take Disney transport back and have a grown up evening. :thumbsup2

Also, if you take a cab from another hotel back to the cabins, do they drop you at the front of the Fort

They drop you at the Outpost and you can then take an internal bus back to your cabin/site.

Unless you dine on property, and then you could still plan to take Disney transport back and have a grown up evening. :thumbsup2

We would be on property (although some hotels may be far from FW,) but I neglected to explain the kids normal bedtime is around 7:30, so this would be WAY later, and would want to get them back to the cabins ASAP. My daughter is a kid who needs her sleep, but has an internal alarm of 6:00, regardless of her bedtime.

They drop you at the Outpost and you can then take an internal bus back to your cabin/site.

Thanks for this! :goodvibes

I have a question about Garden Grocer... how do they arrange it so your groceries are delivered when your room is available? Do you just give them a time after check-in to deliver them, or call them when you are there? Do they deliver directly to your cabin? I just do not want milk or refrigerated items to not be refrigerated for any amount of time.

Just bumping this up (and quoting myself, LOL) because I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to these questions.

Thanks for all the help!

Bobcat bend is 2100

Arrowhead Way is is 2200

Shawnee Bend is 2300

Hillow Way is 2800

We were placed in Hillow Way a few years ago and we hated the idea because it seeme so far away, but it was actually was ok. I'd pick that over the 2400-2700 loops.

Since we are on the topic of loops for cabins, I was wondering which loop was the more deselate (sp) loop, out of the way of everything, nice and quit. We have a cart, so I don't care if we are near anything. :hippie:

Just bumping this up (and quoting myself, LOL) because I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to these questions.

Thanks for all the help!
I don't know exactly how my stuff got into my cabin, but it was there when I arrived. I had requested a 4:30-5:30pm delivery time. I arrived a little after 3pm.

I was *not* happy about it, as I had fresh meat and dairy in the order and it was July.

Because of this, and a few other issues, I didn't use them again.

Wegoshop delivered right to the cabin at the time specified. Actually, they asked me to call after arrival so they could make sure I was there for the delivery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter