Looking for advice on which Moderate to choose

riversend22

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone!

This is my first post here and I am in need of some expertise from you fellow Disney lovers! Hubby and I will be celebrating our 5 year anniversary this year and what better way to celebrate than with a trip to Disney!

In the past we have stayed at POP, however this year we are thinking of staying at a Moderate resort to try something new (and because it's kind of a "milestone" year for anniversaries, so we want to splurge a little :goodvibes). I have a couple of questions that I was hoping you guys could help answer.

We will be traveling most likely the first week in September (after labor day), staying for 9 days and hoping/praying for FD. Caribbean beach is out because I think the negatives outweigh the positives so it's between POR, POFQ, or CSR.

Hubby and I are leaning towards the latter but I see so many good reviews for the POR resorts so I am asking...out of those three, which moderate would you choose and why?

I also had a question about transportation. Normally we stick to Disney transpo, but we are entertaining the idea of renting a car. Is parking free at the resort/parks? Is it better to rent a car versus relying on the Disney transportation? Any info would be very helpful as I know NOTHING about this.

My final question is regarding room discount vs. FD. I am terrible at math so for me it's very hard to figure out which discount is better for two people. I would think that anything "free" would be better, but I've read a lot of posts that discredit that theory. In the past on the FD plan, we have paid OOP for roughly 3 sitdown meals during our trips but for the most part, we have eaten at QS places and used up all of our credits (we take snacks home). Can anyone offer any insight into this debate and perhaps help make it a bit more clear for me?

I think those are all the questions I have for now..LOL. Any opinions are welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks! :banana:

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here and I am in need of some expertise from you fellow Disney lovers! Hubby and I will be celebrating our 5 year anniversary this year and what better way to celebrate than with a trip to Disney!

In the past we have stayed at POP, however this year we are thinking of staying at a Moderate resort to try something new (and because it's kind of a "milestone" year for anniversaries, so we want to splurge a little :goodvibes). I have a couple of questions that I was hoping you guys could help answer.

We will be traveling most likely the first week in September (after labor day), staying for 9 days and hoping/praying for FD. Caribbean beach is out because I think the negatives outweigh the positives so it's between POR, POFQ, or CSR.

Hubby and I are leaning towards the latter but I see so many good reviews for the POR resorts so I am asking...out of those three, which moderate would you choose and why?

I also had a question about transportation. Normally we stick to Disney transpo, but we are entertaining the idea of renting a car. Is parking free at the resort/parks? Is it better to rent a car versus relying on the Disney transportation? Any info would be very helpful as I know NOTHING about this.

My final question is regarding room discount vs. FD. I am terrible at math so for me it's very hard to figure out which discount is better for two people. I would think that anything "free" would be better, but I've read a lot of posts that discredit that theory. In the past on the FD plan, we have paid OOP for roughly 3 sitdown meals during our trips but for the most part, we have eaten at QS places and used up all of our credits (we take snacks home). Can anyone offer any insight into this debate and perhaps help make it a bit more clear for me?

I think those are all the questions I have for now..LOL. Any opinions are welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks! :banana:

With regard to resort choice, between those three you can't go wrong. We like all of them for the difference in themes. My DH and I just did an adult-only anniversary trip and stayed at the POR. Loved the beautiful grounds and how quiet it was there. We were in building 25, by a quiet pool and very close to a bus stop. The POFQ is nice because it is so small! Nothing is far walk at all! Also we love the boat to DTD from POR and POFQ. We are staying at CSR this summer. Love the look of the resort!
We have never done the Dining Plan so can't help you there!
Also, my DH hates to drive on vacation, so even if we have our car, we never use it! He likes to sit back and relax! Also, that way we can have a drink and not worry about driving.

I love POR but CSR is by far my favorite Mod for an adults only trip. I didn't really like POFQ. It's actually too small for me. I know it's Disney so I am not complaining but I felt like the place was swarming with toddlers and cranky kids. It didn't bother me, my kid was one of them, but for a special trip, CSR! Moonlight in the hammocks on the beach with a glass of wine....peaceful...wish I was there now.

Sorry...have to vote very strongly for POFQ!!!!

Me too! Compact with the option of using the facilities at POR as well. Two food courts and two pools in one. River front with boats to DTD, carriage rides and lovely grounds. I found less children seemed to be at this resort, but of course that is subjective. I just prefer the smaller size and less walking!

I'm not sure why you have ruled out CBR, it is actually our favourite rmod, but to each his own. Of the remainder, POR and CSR are also huge resorts that have the potential for long distances to the main areas unless you book a preferred room. POFQ (our secon d favourite) has the advantage of being small, with only one bus stop. It also has the boat to DTD. You are left, really, with which resort theme appeals to you best. Go with that one and IMO you can't go wrong.

As for the rental car - yes, if you stay onsite parking is free. DH and I always drive down, but our car stays put for the entire stay. We much prefer to use Disney transportation, with the occasional taxi from a resort restaurant to our resort at night.

FD is always hotly debated. We did it a couple of times and then stopped. We found that for the way we preferred to dine, we saved more money by getting a good room only discount and paying OOP for our meals. The only way you can break even or come out a couple of dollars ahead (2 adults) is if you select the most expensive restaurants and most expensive items on the menu and use every single credit you are entitled to.

We stayed at CSR back when it first opened (wasn't complete yet) and it was fine. We were in the Casitas. However, I would not go back because I don't like the dining options.

I stayed solo at POR twice and was very happy with it. I was upgraded to a preferred room the first time and booked it next time. I'm not sure that I would stay there in a non-preferred location. Well, maybe river view.

My Nov. trip will be my 4th time at POFQ. I love the smaller size and the single bus stop. It is an easy walk to POR to use the facilities there. A negative here is only one pool. I really wish it had a 'quiet' pool.

I love both PO resorts for the boat to DTD.

As far as having a car while at WDW. When DH and I went, we always had a rental. I loved it. It made it so easy to do things like get groceries or visit an outlet mall. The best thing was how easy and quick it was to go to other resorts for dining. Hop in the car and go. No taking a bus to a park and then switching to a bus or boat to a resort and hoping that the wait between buses wasn't too long.

With 2 of you (or more) at a moderate resort, you will almost certainly save more money by going with free dining rather than room only discount. But, the Disney web site should be able to figure your costs both ways.

Love CSR, it's like a deluxe light hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Yes, if you do rent a car and stay on property, you do park for free at the parks and resorts. Also, I don't know if you're a AAA member or not. If you are, you have free diamond parking. In simple terms, you get to park at the front or near the front for free.

Hey there-

If I was going on my 5-year anniversary trip, and only looking at mods, I would go with POFQ. The intimate size of the resort and the proximity to amenities at POR and the boat to DTD makes it the best choice for you two, IMO :)

I have never done FD, so cant provide any feedback for you there!

As for the car, every trip we have flown and used Disney transport from the airport, to the resort, to anywhere else we wanted to go on property. We have never experienced excruciatingly long wait lines and have always been happy to see the good old Disney smile on the drivers faces each day. I dont think there's a point in spending the extra money to rent a car with Disney's transportation service.

Hope this helped, enjoy your trip!

My husband and I just got back from our 5 year anniversary trip in January and we stayed at POFQ. It was very nice and small, which made walking to and from the buses, food court easy. I've also stayed at CSR and it was nice, however it was huge and took 15 minutes to walk from our room to the food court area. Also they had multiple stops for the buses, where as POFQ had one. Also, the boat ride to DTD from POFQ was very relaxing! Have fun on your trip, whichever resort you decide, I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

Coronado Springs gets my vote! The grounds are gorgeous, the lounge is fantastic, they have a wider selection of places to eat than the other mods, and the rooms are well appointed and spacious. You can also see Illuminations from parts of the resort. And the pool is phenomenal!

Thank you everyone for your wonderful replies! My gut originally wanted POFQ due to it's size and great reviews but DH doesn't really like the theming, and I don't think they offer the Free dining plan so that one is probably out. I think right now we are heavily leaning towards Coronado Springs! The large resort doesn't bother us and the theming suits us both so I think that's what we're going with. Only time will tell though! :thumbsup2

Add far as moderates go, we've done POR as a family last April, and CBR, years ago. We loved CBR but wanted to try something new. I will definitely be going back to POR. The grounds were gorgeous and very relaxing, which I like because it isn't so Disney themed is every corner, so it's a very welcome break sometimes to a very overwhelming atmosphere. The quiet pools were awesome. We were in Acadia and loved it. Yes, there are more bus stops but it didn't bother me. The food court was great and Yee Haw Bob was amazing. The boat ride to DTD was also so convenient and fun.

We have gone the day after Labor day several times, they have always had free dining. The only thing I didnt like about this week was it has been really hot other then that it is a great time to go. Low rates and free dining. We have always gotten the free dining.
As for the the resorts we stayed at POR and CSR. Both are nice but I preferred POR. I guess it is just a matter of what theme you like. I would book preferred room for both resorts if I were to get a room at either.

I love the French Quarter. I love the theming and how intimate and small it is. The food court had a lot of options and I loved the idea of eating amongst Mardi Gras floats.

Moonlight boat rides to Downtown Disney can be quite romantic. The only thing that bothers me about this place is the location - it's close to DTD but not to any one theme park.

Love CSR, it's like a deluxe light hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Well said pp. CSR is the Deluxe Light at WDW. I'd go with CSR, and suggest booking a Business Class Room. This would guarantee you a room in building 9B which is in the middle of the main pool and the main (food court) building. And, super close to both. Also, super close to a bus stop. You would get free breakfast daily right in your building 9B lounge, as well as snacks and drinks and things in that lounge during curtain times of the day.

If the above room category is too much, I'd suggest a preferred room booking to get you close to the food court/main building, and main pool.

My 3rd suggestion, if you don't want to pay the up charge for business class or preferred room, would be to request a room in Casitas Building 4, as this gets you close to a bus stop, has very nice standard room views (parking lot side is more like a garden viewish), you'll have a quiet pool right there, as well as a laundry room, and the spa and fitness center is also right there. This location will surely take you over 5 minutes, perhaps 7-10 minutes, to get to the food court, and then add a few extra minutes to that to travel to the main pool. Still, it is a beautiful section of the resort, in my opinion.

Now, with that said, we have stayed at all Mods, except for POFQ, and like other pp have stated, all moderates are great.

For the dates you are staying, you might be able to get a newly refurbished room at CBR as CBR has a full room rehab scheduled to begin this month, including queen bed upgrades (April 2014). Just thought I'd through that out there even though you have suggested this resort has been eliminated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter