Looking for a novel trip reveal

Mainemama

DIS Veteran
We have surprised our kids with a Disney trip at Christmas several times, though the trip has always been 2 months away. We have also surprised the kids with a summer trip, driving directly to the resort before revealing. That one backfired, major tears. I can laugh about it now. This year, we couldn't get flights in February, so we booked a trip departing ON Christmas. We will celebrate with my family on Christmas Eve., do our tradition of stockings in bed Christmas morning, open Santa gifts, and then reveal our family present-- the trip. At that point, we will probably have about 2 hours until we hit the road to convince them we are serious and calm down whatever kid is crying. So, I am looking for any creative ideas I haven't tried. Here are our past reveals:
box full of balloons with note attached
box with little clue gifts (toy airplane, wrapped disney maps, etc.)
wrapped magic bands in a series of boxes with clues
scavenger hunt
It seems both luggage (I will be secretly packing for the kids) and the car could play in to the surprise this year.
How would you make it happen?

Might be too late to do this now, but I made a photo book of our last Disney trip and on the last page it said something like "We had so much fun on our trip that we can't wait to go back on...[departure date here]!" I think it worked really well. :earboy2:

How long of a trip to disney?
If they kids to the elf on the shelf, maybe get a mickey plush about the same size and put it at the last known location of the elf...with a note about the trip, and wait for them to discover it....after you casually note that the elf must be gone.

If they don't do an elf on the shelf, you could start freaking out and screaming in the other room that you discovered a mouse.

Maybe a gift of warm weather clothes with a note under them?

Might be too late to do this now, but I made a photo book of our last Disney trip and on the last page it said something like "We had so much fun on our trip that we can't wait to go back on...[departure date here]!" I think it worked really well. :earboy2:

I love this idea! Yes, I don't think I can pull off the photo book in time (and I do have trip photos from our last trip that I will make into a book at some point), but I will definitely try this one in the future. Maybe with photos from this trip! Great idea!

How long of a trip to disney?
If they kids to the elf on the shelf, maybe get a mickey plush about the same size and put it at the last known location of the elf...with a note about the trip, and wait for them to discover it....after you casually note that the elf must be gone.

If they don't do an elf on the shelf, you could start freaking out and screaming in the other room that you discovered a mouse.

Maybe a gift of warm weather clothes with a note under them?

We are going for a (for us) quick trip of 5 days. We are a firm no elf family. My kids are kind of terrified of things like the tooth fairy, even Santa. They like to be sure the magical things are not too close. I think an elf would totally freak them out. The mouse idea is funny. But we do have real mice in the house on occasion, so could backfire. The warm clothes are a good idea. Especially if I "wrap" them in their travel bags that we only use on plane flights!

Any more ideas, especially one that highlights the immediacy of the departure?

Wrap up the travel bags as a gift. That is a fantastic idea.
It would be pretty funny, since they aren't new. Maybe I can wrap a couple of new things-- a book, a snack, etc. Oh, and put their magic band right in it! That would be a give away. Too bad plane tickets are no longer paper... it would be fun to see who reads the date and time on the ticket.

It would be pretty funny, since they aren't new. Maybe I can wrap a couple of new things-- a book, a snack, etc. Oh, and put their magic band right in it! That would be a give away. Too bad plane tickets are no longer paper... it would be fun to see who reads the date and time on the ticket.
You can print the itinerary.

Last Xmas when our ODD was just starting to read, we put it in a Christmas card. It was really anticlimactic, though, because the trip was in March. She was like, "cool! Now can I play with my legos again?"

If none of the kids have an easel art board already, buy one as a gift and when they open it, have the message that you're going written on it.

We have settled on our plan, which I will share, in case anyone else looking for a reveal reads this. My dh is getting a new carry-on for Christmas, which he will pack ready to go, and I will wrap. The magic bands will be wrapped inside of the suitcase, with a tag to the kids from Mama and Daddy. After they open this (remember, we have been a bit predictable surprising them with a trip every year), they will be happy, but not get the immediacy (although the suitcase will be full of clothes, so that may raise some questions.) Next, they will unwrap their familiar travel backpacks. Inside, all their stuff for on the plane will be ready to go, including a little surprise bag of treats, snacks, and Disney toys to open on the plane. Each kid will also have either a hidden Mickey book, Disney movie to watch on drive to airport, or a new t-shirt to open prior to leaving. We will also print out the details of the trip and disperse among the 3 suitcases: plane flights, hotel, and for the non-reader in the family, a picture of a character meal we know the kids all love. I am curious to see which kid processes that we are leaving fairly immediately first. We will have a very busy Christmas Eve. after the kids go to bed, setting up presents, stockings, and loading the car, but as I sit here surrounded by piles of snow, freezing rain, and having just experienced temps with highs below 0, it will be worth it! Thanks for the tips, I couldn't have come up with this plan without a couple of the suggestions here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter