• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Looking for a new career

misskitkat

Earning My Ears
Hello Everyone,

I have been in the same job for over 10 years, since shortly after graduating college. I knew before I graduated I made the wrong choice of career but tried working in it for a few months. I got an "easy" job until I figured out what I wanted to do and I am still here. The job has been ok but I really need a change. I just have no idea what I want to do. At all! Can anyone suggest websites, books, or other resources that I could use to figure out what I want to do with my career?

I'd really like a career that pays better so I can afford more trips to Disney :)

Thanks!

A lot of your options will boil down to what you would or would not do. Are there career fields that you won't do? I would recommend the medical field, but I'm a little biased because I work in it. I would recommend nursing. I'm not a nurse, but I'm in a similar specialized field and work alongside and am friends with a ton of nurses. If you think you are able, nursing pays really well and there are nursing shortages all over, so you'll never have a hard time finding a job. There are a number of areas of specialization that you can get in to give some variety to your work, and it can be very rewarding. To be fair, it can be stressful as well, with some hard days. There's a certain "type" that tends to work well as a nurse, and if you're that type, it can be very rewarding, both emotionally and financially. There are opportunities to branch into other related career paths and continue to grow. There are travel contracts that pay really well and give you the opportunity to see other parts of the country while making a very nice paycheck. You would have to go back to school for at least two years to get your nursing degree. It's pretty intense schooling, but the payoff is great.

Hello Everyone,

I have been in the same job for over 10 years, since shortly after graduating college. I knew before I graduated I made the wrong choice of career but tried working in it for a few months. I got an "easy" job until I figured out what I wanted to do and I am still here. The job has been ok but I really need a change. I just have no idea what I want to do. At all! Can anyone suggest websites, books, or other resources that I could use to figure out what I want to do with my career?

I'd really like a career that pays better so I can afford more trips to Disney :)

Thanks!

Are there opportunities to advance where you are? Would any of the "higher up" jobs appeal to you?

Our local career services center offers job aptitide testing to point you in the direction of a career you might be interested in or excel at. Do you have something like that where you are? Or maybe there's online testing somewhere.

You looking for a new career, or a more secure job?
I tell my kids public sector. At least here in California, once you are in the system as an employee, your transfer options are almost limitless. The down side, not all public sector jobs are as rewarding jobs as those in the private sector. The up side, total compensation is on average (according to Pew) be 25% more than the private sector.
I think my first question needs to be answered before you can move on.

Can you give us some sort of an idea of what you love and hate about your current career? What's on your wish list-- do you want to deal with people? Travel? Make important decisions? Make a difference in the world? Have a career where you're constantly challenged?

Have you considered contacting the Career Counseling Service at your old college? Some of them are more than happy to work with graduates. And, if not, they'll probably be able to make some good suggestions as to someone you can work with as you sort out what you want.

I just have to comment on nursing- don't do it. There is a nursing shortage because many, many nurses burn out within 5-10 years and move into other careers way from the bedside. It will destroy you emotionally and physically.

You will spend your days getting screamed at by drug addicts because you can get them "that pain medicine that starts with a d..dilaw, dliawda...you know the one", yelled at by family members because you can't them a tray even though they drove in from some holler and have no money except to buy smokes with and you are so heartless why can't you just buy them a tray since you're a rich nurse, fussed at by residents because you didn't tell them how to do their job, fussed at by 3rd years because you are telling them how to do their job, fussed at by management because Mr. Smith didn't think you were perky enough. It goes on and on. Meanwhile you have to know how to restart a stopped heart before the doctor gets there in a code, know all the signs and symptoms of what could kill someone, omg it is never ending.

Yeah, it pays well, but its the pits. Why do you think all the old seasoned nurses are overweight and mean?

Book recommendation here: Wishcraft, by Barbara Sher. Read it and do the exercises. It'll really help you pin down what it is you want. Remember, it's what you want, not what someone else thinks is best or what you think you should do.

since shortly after graduating college. I knew before I graduated I made the wrong choice of career but tried working in it for a few months.
To clarify...
  • what did you graduate from? Was there a career direction in your education?
  • What career have you been working in the last decade?
  • If you went back to school.... what would you want to study?
  • What career direction do you want to go to?

Sorry for the delay in responding, the holiday has been crazy.

Here's a little more background. I got a degree in psychology with plans to become a therapist because I wanted to help people. I quickly discovered that people were not my favorite. I got a job working at a tourist attraction and have moved up some. I like my coworkers and working with happy people but I am very tired of talking about the same thing and answering the same questions over and over. I don’t hate my job, I’m just ready for something more challenging; preferably where I am not asked where the bathroom is 20 times a day.

So some things I know I want:

-a good benefits package; plenty of PTO, medical at a reasonable cost and a low deductible, dental

-pay at least $30,000/y

-don’t want to be screamed at by people on a regular basis or have to touch them

-don’t want to work in the heat or cold

-ideally I’d like to work with happy people

- I really want a M-F 9-5 type job. I’m tired of working holidays and weekend and having different days off every week.

- I want a job that requires me to do different things throughout the day, I need a little variety!

- I can’t do a job that would, in any way, feel wrong. For example, I do not want to do sales because I have met people who work off commission and they have admitted to being pushy and/or bending the truth a little bit just to make sales goals or more money. I’d rather make less money but be honest with people.

That’s all I have figured out so far. I’ve spent the past several years focused on so many other things I just haven’t thought about my career and what I want to do. I tried taking an free aptitude test online but it said my top 2 career choices were commercial diver and explosives expert. So it wasn’t that helpful.

I’m not opposed to going back to school but I’d have to know what I want to do before committing. I already have one degree that I don’t use, I don’t need another. Also, I would probably only be able to do night school because of my work schedule.

Thanks for all of the advice. I really appreciate the help!

Are there any programs or licences that are offered by your local community college that would be interested in? In my experience with job hunting it seems that if you don't want to do manual labor or be in retail then getting a licence, professional degree or a certification in something limits your options.

OH! Or you could try and get your masters degree. I'm currently looking at a Masters degree in Public Health but there are plenty of others that will definitely get you a better job and salary. They also might be shorter than getting an associates degree or certification.

I just have to comment on nursing- don't do it. There is a nursing shortage because many, many nurses burn out within 5-10 years and move into other careers way from the bedside. It will destroy you emotionally and physically.

You will spend your days getting screamed at by drug addicts because you can get them "that pain medicine that starts with a d..dilaw, dliawda...you know the one", yelled at by family members because you can't them a tray even though they drove in from some holler and have no money except to buy smokes with and you are so heartless why can't you just buy them a tray since you're a rich nurse, fussed at by residents because you didn't tell them how to do their job, fussed at by 3rd years because you are telling them how to do their job, fussed at by management because Mr. Smith didn't think you were perky enough. It goes on and on. Meanwhile you have to know how to restart a stopped heart before the doctor gets there in a code, know all the signs and symptoms of what could kill someone, omg it is never ending.

Yeah, it pays well, but its the pits. Why do you think all the old seasoned nurses are overweight and mean?
I retired on Dec 1 after a 34 year nursing career and I second everything in this post. I am definitely less mean than I was a month ago. Just as fat, however.

Sorry for the delay in responding, the holiday has been crazy.

Here's a little more background. I got a degree in psychology with plans to become a therapist because I wanted to help people. I quickly discovered that people were not my favorite. I got a job working at a tourist attraction and have moved up some. I like my coworkers and working with happy people but I am very tired of talking about the same thing and answering the same questions over and over. I don’t hate my job, I’m just ready for something more challenging; preferably where I am not asked where the bathroom is 20 times a day.

So some things I know I want:

-a good benefits package; plenty of PTO, medical at a reasonable cost and a low deductible, dental

-pay at least $30,000/y

-don’t want to be screamed at by people on a regular basis or have to touch them

-don’t want to work in the heat or cold

-ideally I’d like to work with happy people

- I really want a M-F 9-5 type job. I’m tired of working holidays and weekend and having different days off every week.

- I want a job that requires me to do different things throughout the day, I need a little variety!

- I can’t do a job that would, in any way, feel wrong. For example, I do not want to do sales because I have met people who work off commission and they have admitted to being pushy and/or bending the truth a little bit just to make sales goals or more money. I’d rather make less money but be honest with people.

That’s all I have figured out so far. I’ve spent the past several years focused on so many other things I just haven’t thought about my career and what I want to do. I tried taking an free aptitude test online but it said my top 2 career choices were commercial diver and explosives expert. So it wasn’t that helpful.

I’m not opposed to going back to school but I’d have to know what I want to do before committing. I already have one degree that I don’t use, I don’t need another. Also, I would probably only be able to do night school because of my work schedule.

Thanks for all of the advice. I really appreciate the help!

Be careful what you ask for. Many "9-5" office jobs that offer decent pay (ie big companies) give you a laptop and secure remote access, then expect you to be available whenever they need you. I just (today, actually!) left a job where we worked until the job was done, whether that meant logging in on a holiday, working through the company Christmas party, or starting at 5am and working until 6-7pm at night.

$30,000 wont get you very far in most parts of the country....with a degree, I am surprised you don't have your sights set on a higher income? Are you the main breadwinner in your family?

Thoughts....
  • if not your top 2 choices.... what are your top 10 or top 20 occupations that fit your interest?
  • what about visiting the local UI office. Look through the job postings to see what matches your interest and salary expectations. This can give you an idea on what to study/get trained for.
  • Also compare salaries in a nearby city if they pay higher with a little extra drive
  • can't get experience without a job, can't get jog without experience. Depending on what you want to be trained for... are there education institutions with good co-op opportunities?
  • use caution in choosing a new career.... some careers are in a decline due to automation or industry shift. Research what occupations have a high demand in your area that pays well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter