LONG BAY - Tortola - BEWARE, A MUST READ

sdlong329

"Life is just a Fantasy!"
If you look at my userID, you'll see I would have a unique interest in Long Bay ... Long Island ... Long Cay ... you get the idea. Having had to switch excursions because DCL conveniently forget to tell passengers about a major itinerary change ... we quickly snapped up LONG BAY, which had a nice write-up.

THE PROBLEM? ROCKS!

Of the first few dozen people who ventured into the water, the vast majority came out with cuts, gashes, abrasions, and rashes all about their bodies. The "Bay" is not necessarily a calm bay, but rather, exposed to the open, incoming waves, with a strong undertoe. With that in mind, when you get whacked by an incoming wave, you almost naturally loose your footing, and get pushed under water. When that happens, SOME portion of your body WILL come in contact with jagged rocks. These rocks can be sharp enough to damage or cut through water shoes.

Walking in the shallow water mandates you to watch where you are walking - literally. Alas, when you DO look down, you get whacked by an incoming wave, and are greeted with the sharp rocks. If you try to step lightly, you are likley to mis-step, and either trip over a large rock, or step in a hole.

Disney's write-up suggested you would be spending a day at a resort. Implying that you have the use of their imenities is a h-u-g-e stretch. What that meant was you get to use a chair, and share a MALE/FEMALE bathroom, with a single outside shower (to be fair, there were two locations for single outside showers). Unfortunately, those unfamiliar with the set-up were found using the one outside shower (partially blocked by lattice) as a changing room. Countless kids and men in speedo's were seen changing - virtually in the public. How do I know? I was TRYING to eat lunch in one of the gazebo's, about 15' away. I didn't think Speedo's left much to the imagination. I WAS WRONG!

As for the resort ... yes, they do have 52 acres ... mostly vegetation, and condo's. The main building of the resort was a very nice outdoor restaurant, a nicer indoor restaurant, and a bar. That's not a resort, or a day pass at a resort - in my opinion.

If you like Megan's Bay (St. Thomas), or Rum Point (Grand Caymen) ... you might think LONG BAY will be another slice of paradise. THINK AGAIN, and book another excursion ... or pack a heavy-duty first aid kit, and swim in at least 15' of water, with a life saving device.

GReat useful info for those taking that cruise...so sorry that you had to experience all that!! Grateful you took the time to warn others!! :)

Tara

I have been to Tortola 3 times. Once on a cruise and twice for week-long stays at Long Bay Beach Resort. We had a great time and would not hesitate to go back. I'm not sure what part of the beach they brought you to, but we never had any problems with rocks or rough water/undertoe.

If you look at my userID, you'll see I would have a unique interest in Long Bay ... Long Island ... Long Cay ... you get the idea. Having had to switch excursions because DCL conveniently forget to tell passengers about a major itinerary change ... we quickly snapped up LONG BAY, which had a nice write-up.

THE PROBLEM? ROCKS!

Of the frist few dozen people who ventured into the water, the vast majority came out with cuts, gashes, abrasions, and rashes all about their bodies. The "Bay" is not necessarily a calm bay, but rather, exposed to the open, incoming waves, with a strong undertoe. With that in mind, when you get whacked by an incoming wave, you almost naturally loose your footing, and get pushed under water. When that happens, SOME portion of your body WILL come in contact with jagged rocks. These rocks can be sharp enough to damage or cut through water shoes.

Walking in the shallow water mandates you to watch where you are walking - literally. Alas, when you DO look down, you get whacked by an incoming wave, and are greeted with the sharp rocks. If you try to step lightly, you are likley to mis-step, and either trip over a large rock, or step in a hole.

Disney's write-up suggested you would be spending a day at a resort. Implying that you have the use of their imenities is a h-u-g-e stretch. What that meant was you get to use a chair, and share a MALE/FEMALE bathroom, with a single outside shower (to be fair, there were two locations for single outside showers). Unfortunately, those unfamiliar with the set-up were found using the one outside shower (partially blocked by lattice) as a changing room. Countless kids and men in speedo's were seen changing - virtually in the public. How do I know? I was TRYING to eat lunch in one of the gazebo's, about 15' away. I didn't think Speedo's left much to the imagination. I WAS WRONG!

As for the resort ... yes, they do have 52 acres ... mostly vegetation, and condo's. The main building of the resort was a very nice outdoor restaurant, a nicer indoor restaurant, and a bar. That's not a resort, or a day pass at a resort - in my opinion.

If you like Megan's Bay (St. Thomas), or Rum Point (Grand Caymen) ... you might think LONG BAY will be another slice of paradise. THINK AGAIN, and book another excursion ... or pack a heavy-duty first aid kit, and swim in at least 15' of water, with a life saving device.

Thanks for the heads up!!! :thumbsup2

I have been to Tortola 3 times. Once on a cruise and twice for week-long stays at Long Bay Beach Resort. We had a great time and would not hesitate to go back. I'm not sure what part of the beach they brought you to, but we never had any problems with rocks or rough water/undertoe.

There is only one parking lot ... next to the 1794 Restaurant (open air restaurant, with decking). The beach is in front of the resort, and runs parallel, the entire length of the resort. Despite its name (LONG BEACH BAY RESORT), it IS NOT a BAY, and is NOT a RESORT (rather, they are separate condo's).

The beach is an open beach ... no inlet, no protected barrier ... just open beach. You need only step into the water to find the rocks. Once in the water, you can go no further than several feet, before you start to slice up your feet. Even if you are chest high in water, there are sharp, uneven rocks beneath your feet. Then again, it may have something to do with tides or seasons ... as there was a rock wall, which may have suggested normal high tide would encroach an additional 25+ feet of the beach ... and hence ... provide 25'-30' of sand on the bottom, in lieu of rocks.

We were at this facility in December 2009. Based upon this experience, we would not return.

Maybe something happened since we have last stayed there. The last time we were there it was definitely a resort. The had just completed a new pool with a swim up bar and some other upgrades around the resort. They also had tennis courts and variety of rooms. Once we stayed in a hillside 1 bedroom with a small kitchen and once in a beach-front villa. We had a great time swimming and snorkeling off the beach. We never did have any problems with rocks. Sorry you did. We really like the BVI and can't wait to go back.

I researched the facility in detail before sailing. Perhaps we were not supposed to have access to the resort - which was half of my complaint. As for the rocks - not sure what the story is/was - but it was certainly there along the entire beach. Perhaps a storm took away the sand? It was very unsafe.

Also interested to know if there are any recent DCL port adventure visitors to Long Bay & '1748' Restaurant... we are considering it for our November cruise, but not if conditions have not changes since originally posted!!
(P.S. OP, I'm also a Long Island'er!)

Ditto.. we honeymooned at Long Beach Bay resort and had a wonderful time.

John

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter