Living Naturally?

Just finished Forks Over Knives. Thank you for recommending that, it was very informative. I'm trying to get my husband to watch it. He may be my biggest roadblock. He says he wants to be supportive, but doesn't understand how we can eat together. (We normally don't anyway since I can't eat a lot of what he eats.) He's worried how it will effect us when we have kids. I understand his concerns, but I also think he is in serious denial about his eating habits. Maybe this will help him see where I am coming from.

(for the record, I try not to push him too much but let him make his own decisions even if Idon't agree with him. I have not asked him to join me in this, just to be supportive.)

How about the lush products they are vegetarian after all.

Lush bath and beauty products are not only vegetarian, many are vegan and ALL are cruelty-free.

Many companies say they do not test their products on animals. BUT, they buy their ingredients from vendors who DO test on animals. So, the product was not tested on animals, but the ingredients were. :confused3

Lush does not buy ingredients from vendors who test on animals at any stage of production.

Just finished Forks Over Knives. Thank you for recommending that, it was very informative. I'm trying to get my husband to watch it. He may be my biggest roadblock. He says he wants to be supportive, but doesn't understand how we can eat together. (We normally don't anyway since I can't eat a lot of what he eats.) He's worried how it will effect us when we have kids. I understand his concerns, but I also think he is in serious denial about his eating habits. Maybe this will help him see where I am coming from.

(for the record, I try not to push him too much but let him make his own decisions even if Idon't agree with him. I have not asked him to join me in this, just to be supportive.)
What is he worried about with the kids? That they'll notice he eats different crap from the rest of the family? Heh.

There are a number of people on the board who have split families. I went veg as a kid and was the only one who did. My house I have a no meat rule (save if like, pizza was ordered, a guest could order pepperoni, but that's about it) and that's that, but my parents eat meat. There are other posters who they're veg but others in their homes aren't or their kids are but they're not.

If he won't budge - more videos, he'll budge! Also take him to a nice farm sanctuary to meet a rescued cow or such - then tell him that's fine, he can prepare and eat whatever, he's a grownup, but you and any theoretical kids will be having something different at the same table.

Well, not so much vegan eating - for now - but with avoiding cruelty being a main concern, thought this development interesting. Synthetic meat made from stem cells will soon be available. With it's production, impact on the land and animals will be significantly less.

Modern agriculture production, with its wide spread use of pesticides and herbicides, loss of top soil, along with plants displacing animals, causes duress for wild life.

Recall this article mentioning some of the environmental benefits that can be had from fake meat.

"Churchill And Mead Agree: Fake Meat Will Save The World"

I was reading an article on this stuff the other day. First, doesn't work for vegetarians either, as it's meat - and the cells they're making the meat from come from a slaughtered cow. It's just they slaughter one and grow more meat from it.

Second, it's beyond disgusting.

Third, I really... don't get it at all. No one needs meat to begin with. I get people want it and whatever, their choice. But no one NEEDS the stuff. We really need to put this kind of time, money and research space into making meat in a lab? For what? Why not just educate more people about how not great meat is to consume - environmentall, nutritionally and otherwise. Don't get it.

That's nice about Lush, but I walked literally three feet into one once, sneezed, turned around, walked out, and sneezed pretty nonstop for the next 10 blocks. Blurgh.

I think I'm getting as much from this thread as the poster. I am just about vegan, I just put a bit of milk in my tea (blame the Irish;) and I also changed a lot of things I keep in the house, but I live with a true and tried meat eater but honestly sometimes I order vegan things at a restaurant and he likes it better than what he ordered. One of the benefits I've found with going veggie is my health is great, I rarely get sick. More and more products are becoming non animal testing I've found some great threads on facebook too. Good luck.

I think I'm getting as much from this thread as the poster. I am just about vegan, I just put a bit of milk in my tea (blame the Irish;) and I also changed a lot of things I keep in the house, but I live with a true and tried meat eater but honestly sometimes I order vegan things at a restaurant and he likes it better than what he ordered. One of the benefits I've found with going veggie is my health is great, I rarely get sick. More and more products are becoming non animal testing I've found some great threads on facebook too. Good luck.

Have you tried Almond Milk?

I don't like milk (I'm a veg not a vegan, it just grosses me out, always has, even as a tiny kid), and use Almond, which doesn't. I don't know enough to say it works the same as I don't like milk but my friend is a carnivore who does like milk but goes vegan for lent for a month a year - and hated soy but loves almond milk in her coffee and tea.

Just saying! ;)

Thanks cornflake I use both soy and almond but never thought to try almond in my tea, think I will. PS for a real treat almond butter, mmmmmmm so yummy.

How about the lush products they are vegetarian after all.
I love Lush. My dh made the discovery by accident. We were walking in Toronto and he saw the store with the fresh product in bowls in the window and thought it was food,:rotfl: LOL, and went in, I followed and never looked back. I was so happy. love their stuff. that was about 15 years ago before there were even Lush stores in the US!

Well, not so much vegan eating - for now - but with avoiding cruelty being a main concern, thought this development interesting. Synthetic meat made from stem cells will soon be available. With it's production, impact on the land and animals will be significantly less.

Modern agriculture production, with its wide spread use of pesticides and herbicides, loss of top soil, along with plants displacing animals, causes duress for wild life.

Recall this article mentioning some of the environmental benefits that can be had from fake meat.

"Churchill And Mead Agree: Fake Meat Will Save The World"

http://blogs.the-american-interest....and-mead-agree-fake-meat-will-save-the-world/

I don't eat frankenfoods. No GMOs no Stem cell meat, no thank you.

Lush bath and beauty products are not only vegetarian, many are vegan and ALL are cruelty-free.

Many companies say they do not test their products on animals. BUT, they buy their ingredients from vendors who DO test on animals. So, the product was not tested on animals, but the ingredients were. :confused3

Lush does not buy ingredients from vendors who test on animals at any stage of production.

I used to have a really great list that I kept in my wallet that had the list of ingredients and which were tested on animals and by who. My SIL gave it to me, I dont know where she even got it. and I don't know what I did with it at this point, but it was good.

that is my problem too, milk in my coffee and tea. I just don't like the soy creamer.

Have you tried Almond Milk?

I don't like milk (I'm a veg not a vegan, it just grosses me out, always has, even as a tiny kid), and use Almond, which doesn't. I don't know enough to say it works the same as I don't like milk but my friend is a carnivore who does like milk but goes vegan for lent for a month a year - and hated soy but loves almond milk in her coffee and tea.

Just saying! ;)

I love almond milk, but I find it gives tea and coffee an odd taste. not good to me. but I love it otherwise.
I wish someone would make and almond milk creamer, like the silk soy creamer. that would probably be good.

There's always coffeemate powder if it's a creamer-like thing you like. The stuff is non-dairy, it's just corn syrup and oil and thickner, I think. It's not a health food but... it's creamer...ish! Heh.

There's always coffeemate powder if it's a creamer-like thing you like. The stuff is non-dairy, it's just corn syrup and oil and thickner, I think. It's not a health food but... it's creamer...ish! Heh.
FYI it may be "non-dairy" but it is not vegan, as it contains sodium caseinate which is dirived from milk.

Iave already switched with my coffee. I use Chocolate coconut milk as my preferred. It's almost like having a mocha and has a nice smooth finish. I don't like the almost milk in there as well.

I got some Almond Cocunut Breeze and tried it for the first time today. I don't like the taste much at all. So far I like rice milk and cocunut the best. I'm trying to drink it plain, but will get chocolate or vanilla soemtimes just because it needs some flavor.

FYI it may be "non-dairy" but it is not vegan, as it contains sodium caseinate which is dirived from milk.

Oh, oops, shows what I know. Neevermind.

I like the Pacific unsweetened vanilla almond milk but I don't drink it (or any milk-like thing) plain so wouldn't know if it's better for that. My friend liked the almond in coffee and tea, was I *think* using the same as mine mostly.

Oh, oops, shows what I know. Neevermind.
Yeah. It is amazing how many items you think are "safe" are not in fact vegan. There are so many ingredients that you don't think about that are in fact animal derived. And then there are things you think should have dairy products that don't - the "creme" in Oreo's contains no dairy at all.

Yeah. It is amazing how many items you think are "safe" are not in fact vegan. There are so many ingredients that you don't think about that are in fact animal derived. And then there are things you think should have dairy products that don't - the "creme" in Oreo's contains no dairy at all.

Heh, yeah my vegan-one-month-a-year pal is WELL aware that Oreos are, in fact, vegan. :lmao:

I picked up Vegan for Life with a gift card the husband got me for Valentine's Day. I'm liking it so far. They are very up front about the issues and the research and don't mince words. For instance, they very clearly talk abotu the fact that cavemen did eat meat and that we need B12 supplements to compensate.

I was looking at their website and ran across some video of factory farm abuse. I knew I wanted to get to vegan eventually, but figured I would start with vegetarian first. Forks Over Knives and the cruelty videos have tipped the balance. On Wednesday (Ash Wednesday) I will go vegan. I will finish off the Jenny Craig meals I have which should last about another week or so, but I will replace with non animal products. The hardest part will be that I don't think Jenny Craig has many Vegan meals, so I'm going to have to start making more of my own meals sooner than expected. (You normally switch to half the meals being your own halfway to your goal weight.)

What are some good restaurants (fast food and otherwise) to eat at if you're vegan? I'm going to have to do quite a bit of travelling in the next month (including picking up our guide dog puppy!) and am cocnerned about how I can eat vegan on the road.

Check the Happy Cow website and you'll find it lists, with reviews, restaurants that offer vegan and vegetarian foods in most cities or large towns. I have the app on my iPhone and it has been very helpful!

I will say that when I travel I often find it easier to stop at a grocery store and buy a few things to make a meal. I love hummus, so a container of hummus with some cut up vegetables to dip in it can make me happy! You might also want to bring along the single-serving containers of almond or soy milk if you want something to pour over cereal or add to coffee or tea.

You can almost always order a salad in a restaurant without cheese or meat. If you bring along a package of trail mix or mixed nuts, you can add the nuts and/or dried fruit to the salad as well, giving you more protein and fat and helping you feel full longer.

Teresa

What are some good restaurants (fast food and otherwise) to eat at if you're vegan?
This is not easy when you are vegan. You will have to really look at where you want to eat ahead of time.. You will have to look for vegan restaurants, in advance, where ever you are going. You will find that you will have to pack food for yourself, especially if you don't want to expense and time of going to sit down restaurants. You will also find yourself ordering sides instead of meals and making special requests.

Vegan on the road is hard - heck, vegetarian on the road can be hard, depending on where you are. I was once driving through Wyoming (hint: don't), stopped at the only place I'd seen for ages, a diner, and there was literally not a single thing on the menu I could eat. And I'm not a vegan! Even the pancakes had meat. They didn't have pancake batter without meat in it, they all had sausage or bacon diced into the batter, don't even ask. I forget why I couldn't have a plain grilled cheese but there actually was a reason and they were out of lettuce so I couldn't have the one side salad that existed on the menu.

Anyway - agree with the above, stop at a market, hummus, peanut butter, bag of baby carrots, apples, bananas, pack a box of crackers and some ziplocked cereal. Restaurants you can usually work with if they're real restaurants but fast food I'd just bypass. Oh, except Five Guys, I'd guess ? their fries are fine - their fryers are dedicated, they only fry fries and their fries are from actual potatoes, fresh, not like McDonald's, with the beef coatings or whatever.

As to the Jenny Craig thing - generally veganism will cut your calories and fat in such a way that you'll lose weight. It's not a guarantee; the best chocolate cake recipe I have is vegan, heh, but veganism is much more likely than vegetarianism to drop weight just in general.

not like McDonald's, with the beef coatings or whatever.
FYI cornflake, McDonalds recently changed their recipe to an artifical "beef" tallow, so it is now vegetarian "safe" but still not vegan friendly due to the new stuff having dairy in it.

FYI cornflake, McDonalds recently changed their recipe to an artifical "beef" tallow, so it is now vegetarian "safe" but still not vegan friendly due to the new stuff having dairy in it.

I tend to not actually believe that. I mean I believe you in that they've said it, but they've lied before.

Affects me not, there are like 15 reasons I won't go into McDonald's but given their history I take any claims with a grain of salt. Interesting they claim that, given the lawsuit though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter