~*LIVE*~ from the Polynesian ***UPDATED 09/02***

TinkerBelle_325

DIS Veteran
Aloha All! :goodvibes

I'm writing LIVE from the Polynesian. We checked in at 6:30pm this evening and the resort was PACKED. In fact I don't think I've ever seen more people in the lobby. However, we learned that it was because the Luau had been cancelled, forcing hundreds of people inside due to the torrential rains. Seems my wishing to the Tiki Gods worked out very well.

We have a gorgeous room in Fiji facing the Marina and the Volcano pool (I'll post the room number when we check out).

Every cast member we have encountered has been very enthusiastic and friendly.

We had dinner at Kona and it was a delicious meal, but the restaurant was very busy. The man in front of us was told that a walk up party of 4 would have to wait 1 1/2 to 2 hours (This was at 8pm!).

We're off to the Magic Kingdom tomorrow. I'd be happy to answer any questions that anyone has :)

Aloha!

Well I am glad you got there saftely...save me a lounge chair, I will be there on Friday. Do you like your room? Do you have any type of view-what do you see past the marina(I have never stayed at the POLY)? I just hope I get a nice room...but I don't want to get my hopes up too much. Let us know what the parks are like tomorrow. Have a great time!:cool:

Oooh a live report!! :) I'm glad that everything is going well for your trip so far! What did you have to eat at Kona Cafe? It's my favorite Disney restaurant! :)

I hope you're having fun at the MK today! Looking forward to your next live report! :surfweb:

Aloha!

Just got back from the Magic Kingdom.

We got there at 8:55 and walked under the train station at 9 on the dot. I upgraded my 1 day base pass from Free Dining last year to a Premium Annual Pass. Funny Story. My pass was date 06, but because it was 1 day it was never used and therefore still valid. When the CM printed out my PAP it originally read "expiry 08/27/07"....I was like...um...one sec....I just paid $540 for a 1 DAY PASS! The CM burst into giggles and quickly fixed it. Meanwhile another CM who was organizing Birthday buttons said "well we can't fix that expiry date....but here's a birthday button!" I nearly fell over laughing. They quickly fixed the problem and I got my PAP! :woohoo:

We wandered over to Splash, I was given a wait time pass to give to the CM when I got to the front of the standby line....if you can call it a line. We walked right on and at that point (about 9:20) They were only running every other boat.

Oddly enough, Big Thunder was down and the first Fast passes available were for 11am (at 9:30ish)

We also walked right on to Pirates of the Caribbean. They were loading from both sides as of 10ish.

Went on the Jungle Cruise, waited about 5 minutes for it.

Our longest wait of the morning was for The Laugh Floor and even that was under 15 minutes.

Lunch was at Liberty Tree Tavern, great food, fantastic service. Checked in at about 12:15 for a 12:30 ADR and were seated within 5 minutes. Though you can see the affect of Free Dining, all the restaurants are busy and the waits for walk ups even at lunch are running easily over 1 hour.

I'll update later tonight after we get back from Le Cellier.

Oh and weather. Sunny with some cloud cover and HOT HOT HOT! With the heat index its 101 at the moment.

Wow it sounds like the parks are on the empty side...is HM open again? Well I hope you are having a fantastic trip...sorry to hear the BHM was down, did you go later with the FP? Thanks

Thanks for this wonderful live report, you make me feel like I'm there. Glad to hear the park wasn't that busy. Keep up the great reports and try tostay cool!

Thanks for the report! Glad to hear the park crowds are low, save for the TS restaurants. Sounds very much like our experience last year. :)

(Remember to stay hydrated!)

Hi Everyone! Thanks so much for reading my report!

After I left off yesterday we headed out to the pool here at the Polynesian. We had no problem finding two lounge chairs. The pool was a bit crowded, but nothing unbearable. I'd say we got about an hour there before the clouds rolled in and the typical August afternoon rainstorm began.

The heavy rain lasted an hour and then calmed to a drizzle so we grabbed jackets and headed out to Epcot for our Le Cellier dinner ADR.

This is where things became interesting to me. I have loved Le Cellier for quite some time, long before it was impossible to secure an ADR there. We wandered up to Le Cellier at 7:15 to check in for a 7:50 ADR. We were asked to come back in 15 minutes. Ok, no problem. We stepped outside and remained under the cover by the front door because it was still raining.

**Note** As a family this trip we have noticed a HUGE difference in the customer service quailty. Overall the CMs have been fantastic.

Ok, so it was at Le Cellier that we encountered the least accomodating CMs. We had no issue with waiting that little bit longer to check in, but we were a bit alarmed at how the CM at the door was dealing with walk-ups. Now I sometimes tend to forget that not *everyone* has the same knowledge of WDW that my family has. Understandably there are numerous attempts at walk ups to Le Cellier every night and it must get frustrating to be asked a million times if there are any tables available. However, this CM was downright rude....walk ups didn't even have the chance to ask, he barked at anyone that approached the door "do you have a reservation?" and if they replied "no" he said "Fully booked tonight" He was abrupt and quite rude. The incident that really annoyed us was him asking our family to stand out in the rain so that someone could park a stroller (that was covered in plastic and entirely protected). I feel that Le Cellier is suffering from being too successful and therefore becomming a touch over confident.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Le Cellier and the meal was wonderful. We all started with the YUMMY cheddar cheese soup, which was delicious as always. DDad had the prime rib, medium rare. He said it was good, not great, and a bit too garlicy. DMom had the Free Range Chicken Breast with a white bean and miniature vegetable salad. She enjoyed this but said it was a bit surprising that the chicken was warm while the white bean and vegetable salad was cold. I had the 7 oz Filet with cream cheese mashed potatoes which was fantastic. We shared the creme brule sampler and felt it was just OK, the custard was a bit thin and the flavors were a bit overpowering.

We walked out of Le Cellier at 8:55 and had no problem whatsoever finding a place to watch Illuminations, in fact I'm not sure I've ever seen Epcot THAT empty.

Monday Aug 27th 2007

Epcot Morning.

We took a relaxing approach to the morning today, leaving our room at the Polynesian around 9:15. We walked to the TTC and hopped on the monorail to Epcot. We arrived around 10am and proceeded straight to Soarin'. The wait was about 20 minutes. We grabbed a fast pass as well. Walked on to Living with the Land. Had lunch at Seasons (will review later) and rode Soarin again before returning to the Polynesian. Now I'm off to the pool and later tonight I'll be having dinner at the California Grill. I'll update tonight! :thumbsup2

We will be arriving next Thursday morning. Glad too hear the crowds are low.
:dance3: :dance3:

We have all our ADR's in place!! Thank goodness. Sounds like the restaurants are busy busy busy....

We will be eating at Le Cellier for my Birthday dinner. I guess we should not plan to be seated early?? Our ADR is for 5:40 so I was planning too check in around 5:30.:thumbsup2 Did you like the filet and the mashed potatoes? That is what I was planning too try.

Have a great time...I am jealous!

Michelle

Well I am glad you got there saftely...save me a lounge chair, I will be there on Friday. Do you like your room? Do you have any type of view-what do you see past the marina(I have never stayed at the POLY)? I just hope I get a nice room...but I don't want to get my hopes up too much. Let us know what the parks are like tomorrow. Have a great time!:cool:

Wow it sounds like the parks are on the empty side...is HM open again? Well I hope you are having a fantastic trip...sorry to hear the BHM was down, did you go later with the FP? Thanks

I *love* our room. We were fortunate enough to stay in Fiji last August and our room this trip is just 2 down the hall from our last stay! LOL We can't really see past the Marina, just out at the boats, and the Volcano Pool. We can also see the Contemporary in the distance. Unfortunately the HM was still closed. I'm crossing my fingers that it will open up soon, I'm here till Sept 9th so maybe :confused3 I didn't go on BTM yesterday but plan to later this week.

We'll be there Saturday, can't wait!! How is the weather? Park crowds? Long lines? TIA

Thanks for this wonderful live report, you make me feel like I'm there. Glad to hear the park wasn't that busy. Keep up the great reports and try tostay cool!

The weather is wonderful. Weve had about 1 to 2 hours of rain every day from 5ish till 7ish, but otherwise it is sun and clouds and HOT HOT HOT! The parks aren't very crowded and the only real *line* we waited in was todat for Soarin, about 20 minutes. Gad you're enjoying! :thumbsup2

Oooh a live report!! :) I'm glad that everything is going well for your trip so far! What did you have to eat at Kona Cafe? It's my favorite Disney restaurant! :)

I hope you're having fun at the MK today! Looking forward to your next live report! :surfweb:

At Kona, DDad had the Lump Crab Cakes and the Panko Shrimp (just shrimp as he is allergic to scallops) DMom had the Kona Salad and the Coconut Almond Chicken, and I had the Sticky Wings and the Beef Terriyaki. Everything was wonderful.

Thanks for that live report and I hope you and you're family keep having fun. :thumbsup2

Thanks! Always nice to hear from a fellow Canadian :goodvibes

Thanks for the report! Glad to hear the park crowds are low, save for the TS restaurants. Sounds very much like our experience last year. :)

(Remember to stay hydrated!)

The TS restaurants seem even more slammed than Free Dining last year, so glad I made all my ADRs WAYYYY in advance.

We will be arriving next Thursday morning. Glad too hear the crowds are low.
:dance3: :dance3:

We have all our ADR's in place!! Thank goodness. Sounds like the restaurants are busy busy busy....

We will be eating at Le Cellier for my Birthday dinner. I guess we should not plan to be seated early?? Our ADR is for 5:40 so I was planning too check in around 5:30.:thumbsup2 Did you like the filet and the mashed potatoes? That is what I was planning too try.

Have a great time...I am jealous!

Michelle

I think 5:30 would be fine for your 5:40 ADR, sometimes they are a bit stubborn at Le Cellier LOL. The filet and cream cheese mashed potatoes is my FAVORITE entree on property. You'll love it! :cloud9:

I just looove live reports!

Thanks so much!!:thumbsup2

I love live reports too! :wizard: Which s exactly why I decided to do one, so glad you are enjoying it :flower3:

Aloha Tinkerbelle
and one big MAHALO for the live report.
We are jealous.
Have fun and keep the posts coming.

Thanks for the live report. Makes me even more excited-we check in in 31 days:cool1: I have requested Fiji. What floor are you on & do you find that area busy & loud? We had originally asked for the cove side of Fiji then Dh saw pictures from marina side & really liked that. What do you think of your building-what room # by the way. Thanks for the updates. Have never been in Aug before-feel like I'm there too!!!

That was a shame about the host/ess CM at LC. I think with free dining and the end of summer everyone is probablly tired...but still no need to be rude. Thanks so much for posting about the rain. I hope you had a good night tonight!

Hi Everyone!

After our morning at Epcot we came back to the Polynesian and relaxed by the pool before getting cleaned up to go to the California Grill.

We checked in at 5:30 for our 5:40 reservation and I requested a window table. We were wisked up the elevator and brought to what I believe is th most spectacular table EVER. For those that know the layout, we were in the small section to the side of the lounge. There are 5 tables that run along the windows with a breath-taking view of the Magic Kingdom. We were seated at the one right in the middle! (And seated at about 6:00pm).

Our server was Kevin, and he was the best server we have ever had in 30+ trips to WDW. He was personable, knowledgable and attentive. He recommended 2 wines for us that we never would have thought of trying.

I had a glass of Conundrum (2005) from California. It was a white blend that had some Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grit, and a few others. It was a perfect "transition" wine just as Kevin said. I prefer semi-sweet and this was a touch more dry than I am accustomed to. It was smooth and slightly fruity with a bit of body. Delicious.

My parents ordered a bottle that was off menu. It was a 2003 Wild Oaks Cabernet Sauvignon. Im not a fan of red but they thought it was wonderful. It was also interesting because it was the very first vintage of that particular wine that Wild Oaks ever produced.

We were fortunate enough to get 2 reservations at California Grill this week, so we decided this one was going to be mainly Sushi and First Courses.

Knowing that Yoshie is the BEST female sushi chef in the world, and knowing how my family adores sushi, we requested a few things off menu.

For our starters of sushi we ordered....

Yellowfin Tuna Three Ways...Poki, Tartare, and Tataki

California Roll...Jumbo Lump Crab with Avacado and Cucumber

Spicy Tuna Roll...Tuna, Volcano Sauce, Chives, Cucumber

Dynamite Roll...Tempura Shrimp, Mango, Watermelon and Mama nori (white nori) with an Orange Ginger dipping sauce

2 salmon nigiri, 4 shrimp nigiri, 2 tuna nigiri

The Spicy Tuna roll, Dynamite Roll and Nigiri were off menu items that we requested.

I must say that the Dynamite roll was EASILY the best sushi I have EVER eaten. It was the perfect balance of sweet with a lovely crunch. It had a smoothness from the fruit and a slight tang from the sauce. It was sushi perfection!

The presentation of this sushi was fantastic. It came on a giagantic round platter and I have MANY pictures of it because the whole restaurant turned and watched as it was delivered to our table LOL.

My entire family fell silent as the sushi arrived and I believe the only thing that could be heard was "yummy" noises. Hehe.

So for our next set of courses we went with a selection of appetizers.

We shared the Triple Cheese Flatbread...Pecorino, Asiago, Provolone with Sun-dried Tomatoes, and Basil Pesto

DDad ordered the Fresh Maine Lobster with Hearts of Palm, Avacado, Tomato, Crisp Serrano Ham, and Citrus Vinaigrette

DMom ordered the Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli with Sun-dried Tomatoes, Pesto, Shiitake Mushrooms, and Basil

I ordered the Hearts of Romaine with Roasted Garlic Dressing, Marinated Anchovies, Olives, Aged Parmesan, and Croutons

The flatbread and goat cheese ravioli were the stars of this course! So yummy.

For dessert we shared the Inspired by "The Year of a Million Dreams" Honey Crunch Cake with Chantilly Cream, Over-roasted Pineapple, and Crunch Candy Crumble

I'll write an extended review of the 2nd course and dessert later. I'm just wrapping up because I'm heading out to get some breakfast and then off to shop at Downtown Disney! :)

Great review. We're staying at the Poly in Oct and have adr's for the CG and Narcossee's. Glad to see the review.

We decided to take a relaxing day today. We went shopping in the morning to the Mall at Milenia and the Disney Marketplace.

We had lunch at Wolfgang Puck Express and everything was delicious.

I stopped by Epcot around 3:30 to pick up my temporary DDE card. The wait times for Soarin and Test Track were 70 mins with no Fast passes left. Mission Space Green was 5 minutes and Orange was 30. I tried Green for the first time and it was ok, but I like the ride better with the spinning.

For dinner we went to Raglan Road. We had the WORST waitress on the planet. It took her 15 minutes to greet us, she instead decided to bus tables in what was a half empty section to begin with. There were easily 10 tables nearby that were bussed and ready to go. Our entrees came within 15 minutes of ordering, but we never recieved any bread or Guinness dip, while every other table around us had them. Let me say at this point that our server only had 3 tables, all small parties, so she wasn't under any huge pressure. We ordered dessert around 7:50. And waited....and waited....and waited....15...then 25 minutes went by. There was no sign of our dessert. Our waitress however was wandering around. At this point, the table of 2 in her section had been waiting 35 minutes for their entrees. And a table to our left was waiting 20 minutes for appetizers. When she finally realized we had no dessert she rushed over to her computer. We believe she completely forgot to enter the order for the dessert. 25 minutes we waited, asked for the check, cancelled the dessert and left her no tip because she gave us no appology. It was awful. The food was OK, nothing spectacular.

Tomorrow we are off to Animal Kingdom in the morning. Flame Tree BBQ for lunch, Epcot in the evening and Rose & Crown for dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter